* * * * - 11 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#2191 banhorn

• 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:01 PM

IF you were in your 20s and early 30s, I would feel more confident it is due to NR but at this age, I would say it is the hyperopia starting to kick in which counteracts, and may explain some reduction of, the myopia.

I wouldn't attribute 0.5 improvement to NR alone.

Ahhh ok, that makes sense.  Thanks for the note.

I'll also add that I just had my physical and blood panel.  Everything was normal, but my LDL and total Cholesterol were slightly elevated and never have been before.  I eat predominantly as a vegetarian and rarely consume red meat.

2019:

Triglycerides: 58

HDL Cholesterol: 90

VLDL Cholesterol Cal: 12

LDL Cholesterol Cal:110

Total Cholesterol: 212

2016: (Pre Basis)

Triglycerides: 50

HDL Cholesterol: 93

VLDL Cholesterol Cal: 10

LDL Cholesterol Cal: 68

Total Cholesterol: 171

I suspect the LDL reading might partly be a result of 2+ years of the Pterostilbene in Basis?  Nothing else has really changed in my diet or exercise routine.

• Informative x 1

#2192 banhorn

• 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:19 PM

Ahhh ok, that makes sense.  Thanks for the note.

I'll also add that I just had my physical and blood panel.  Everything was normal, but my LDL and total Cholesterol were slightly elevated and never have been before.  I eat predominantly as a vegetarian and rarely consume red meat.

2019:

Triglycerides: 58

HDL Cholesterol: 90

VLDL Cholesterol Cal: 12

LDL Cholesterol Cal:110

Total Cholesterol: 212

2016: (Pre Basis)

Triglycerides: 50

HDL Cholesterol: 93

VLDL Cholesterol Cal: 10

LDL Cholesterol Cal: 68

Total Cholesterol: 171

I suspect the LDL reading might partly be a result of 2+ years of the Pterostilbene in Basis?  Nothing else has really changed in my diet or exercise routine.

Quick edit:

1) I switched from Soylent to Huel about 1.5 years ago for the majority of my lunches at work and Huel contains coconut oil MCT... which could be affecting the LDL as well, I suppose

2) also forgot to mention i'm down from 173 lbs to 168 lbs with no other real changes in diet/exercise 

• Informative x 2

#2193 arx

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 July 2019 - 07:39 PM

I wanted to take a moment to contribute my experience, especially after reading some reports of joint pain and I'd be interested in any discussion, thanks to jgkyker for his fairly recent deep dive into his experience.

Been taking Niagen for about 9 months, started at the recommended dosage of 250mg/day

• Noticed lasting reduction in subcutaneous belly fat after the first 3 months
  • Noticed lasting increase in energy and sleep
  • I found myself to be more short-tempered in the first month. That seems to have gone away

After these positive effects, I was happy to see the 300mg/day bottles.

Shortly thereafter had a psoriasis flare-up (not contributing this to NR it will be relevant later)

I have been following the research around NR and bolstered by research results I upped my dosage to the "therapeutic" 1g/day

• I soon noticed that I developed joint pain in one hand.

Initially did not relate this issue to NR and assumed joint pain was psoriatic arthritis.

Found this forum and thread 3 weeks ago and stopped taking NR

• Joint pain significantly reduced.

Started back on NR at 300mg/day

• Joint pain increased almost overnight

Currently off of NR as I deal with this small joint pain.

Once healed I plan to resume at 150mg/day. I seemed to tolerate the 250mg/day with no adverse effects.

Edited by arx, 02 July 2019 - 07:55 PM.

• Informative x 4
  • Well Written x 1

#2194 joesixpack

• 467 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:03 AM

I wanted to take a moment to contribute my experience, especially after reading some reports of joint pain and I'd be interested in any discussion, thanks to jgkyker for his fairly recent deep dive into his experience.

Been taking Niagen for about 9 months, started at the recommended dosage of 250mg/day

• Noticed lasting reduction in subcutaneous belly fat after the first 3 months
  • Noticed lasting increase in energy and sleep
  • I found myself to be more short-tempered in the first month. That seems to have gone away

After these positive effects, I was happy to see the 300mg/day bottles.

Shortly thereafter had a psoriasis flare-up (not contributing this to NR it will be relevant later)

I have been following the research around NR and bolstered by research results I upped my dosage to the "therapeutic" 1g/day

• I soon noticed that I developed joint pain in one hand.

Initially did not relate this issue to NR and assumed joint pain was psoriatic arthritis.

Found this forum and thread 3 weeks ago and stopped taking NR

• Joint pain significantly reduced.

Started back on NR at 300mg/day

• Joint pain increased almost overnight

Currently off of NR as I deal with this small joint pain.

Once healed I plan to resume at 150mg/day. I seemed to tolerate the 250mg/day with no adverse effects.

My experience was the opposite. I have had osteoarthritis for 20 years in both feet from playing soccer in college in the seventies. No cartilage in the big toe joints. Pain started in the late 90's. It went away after taking low doses of NR in September of 2018. Pain left in January of 2019.

Started adding C60 in March 2019. Developed tendonitis in my arm recently for no discernible reason in May and took a few weeks off  from all supplements. No effect on tendonitis, but osteo pain has not returned. 

Will restart NR at low dose and C60 shortly as tendonitis is not that bad, and has had other positive effects. And I really do not want a return of the the osteo pain, as it was life changing.

It is odd how these symptoms appear differently for people without any real explanation. I will take the good stuff while it lasts, but there should be some studies about both supplements to try to find out how they affect us.

You might try lowering your dose of NR. I think the dosing issue is the primary issue we are facing with all of these supplements. Sometimes more is not better. My low does of NR is now 150 MG a day. It works for me.

• like x 1

#2195 arx

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for sharing. I was actually expecting a positive effect on the inflammation based on some past studies of NR.

If I am experiencing Psoriatic Arthritis a decrease in TNF cytokine should be a positive for me as that is one of the contributors to PsA inflammation.

Tumour necrosis factor (TNF) in psoriatic arthritis

Previous NR research on mice and the most recent human study noticed a decrease in TNFa along with other inflammatory cytokines

https://www.biorxiv....680462.full.pdf

My entirely uneducated guess is that it has something to do with how NAD+ impacts T-cells and cytokine production and the specific pathology of PsA

#2196 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:23 PM

You might try lowering your dose of NR. I think the dosing issue is the primary issue we are facing with all of these supplements. Sometimes more is not better. My low does of NR is now 150 MG a day. It works for me.

Yes this is an excellent point 

Seems natural that upping the dose will give greater benefits but the opposite may be true 

#2197 joesixpack

• 467 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:37 AM

Yes this is an excellent point 

Seems natural that upping the dose will give greater benefits but the opposite may be true 

Hi, I tried the high doses and could not deal with them. I will try the 300 mg dose and see how it goes, but will not hesitate to drop back to 150 which seems to work for me. I have had an almost total lack of pain from osteoarthritis. I will also resume C60 which has had different positive developments. 

I will update this is a few weeks. I am starting to think that you have to stop everything for a couple of weeks periodically. I have done that for 2 weeks with no adverse effects, in fact the effects have continued during the stop. I have restarted the NR at 150, will go to 300 (which I do not think will be positive) and resume c60 at the normal dose next week. I will update this and let you know what the result is.

The use of both substances has been positive overall. Although my thyroid THS level went up at my last blood draw, no idea what that is about. Will report on that as time goes on.

Sometimes I wonder if there Docs know what they are talking about, other than reading literature and following it blindly. He reduced my levothyroxine dose last September out of the blue. Now he has increased it. I had some symptoms consisted with low thyroid. I feel better. I will resist it the next time.

I do not think it should have been changed. 

#2198 StanG

• 71 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2019 - 07:11 PM

Two things:

1) Could someone please email me at stankatie2006@gmail.com and tell me where to get the best deal of either 250mg or 300m NR (1 capsule only). I used to be able to contact Brayn_S but can't find his number. Thanks in advance.

2) I've been taking NR 250 twice most days a week for 4-5 years now. In the beginning I noticed new dark brown hairs growing on my forearms and other places which lasted for 6-12 months. This gradually stopped but started at a very slow rate again just 3-4 months ago. I take NR for breakfast and before going to bed. I've never knowingly had a bad experience with it.

Stan

#2199 Engadin

• 198 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2019 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for sharing. I was actually expecting a positive effect on the inflammation based on some past studies of NR.

If I am experiencing Psoriatic Arthritis a decrease in TNF cytokine should be a positive for me as that is one of the contributors to PsA inflammation.

Tumour necrosis factor (TNF) in psoriatic arthritis

Previous NR research on mice and the most recent human study noticed a decrease in TNFa along with other inflammatory cytokines

https://www.biorxiv....680462.full.pdf

My entirely uneducated guess is that it has something to do with how NAD+ impacts T-cells and cytokine production and the specific pathology of PsA

Psoriatic arthritis also responds to anti-COX2 anti-inflammatory compounds like curcumin, which also reduces TNFalfa in obese.

I am taking Longvida curcumin with my morning MitoQ capsule (there is an option to get both MitoQ + Longvida at MitoQ). Of course, Longvida works perfectly independently. I invite you to try it. It worked sweet in my joints and PsA is gone. It's not an expensive compound anyway.

Edited by Engadin, 05 July 2019 - 07:53 PM.

• Informative x 1

#2200 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:33 AM

http://www.clinsci.o...181022.abstract

"

Abstract

Doxorubicin is widely used as a first-line chemotherapeutic drug for various malignancies. However, doxorubicin causes severe cardiotoxicity, which limits its clinical uses. Oxidative stress is one of major contributors to doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity. While autophagic flux serves as an important defense mechanism against oxidative stress in cardiomyocytes, recent studies have demonstrated that doxorubicin induces the blockage of autophagic flux, which contributes to doxorubicin cardiotoxicity. This study investigated whether nicotinamide riboside, a precursor of NAD+, prevents doxorubicin cardiotoxicity by improving autophagic flux. We report that administration of nicotinamide riboside elevated NAD+ levels, and reduced cardiac injury and myocardial dysfunction in doxorubicin-injected mice. These protective effects of nicotinamide riboside were recapitulated in cultured cardiomyocytes upon doxorubicin treatment. Mechanistically, nicotinamide riboside prevented the blockage of autophagic flux, accumulation of autolysosomes and oxidative stress in doxorubicin-treated cardiomyocytes, the effects of which were associated with restoration of lysosomal acidification. Furthermore, inhibition of lysosomal acidification or SIRT1 abrogated these protective effects of nicotinamide riboside during doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity. Collectively, our study shows that nicotinamide riboside enhances autolysosome clearance via the NAD+/SIRT1 signaling thereby preventing doxorubicin-triggered cardiotoxicity.

"

• Off-Topic x 8
  • like x 1

#2201 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 July 2019 - 12:16 AM

https://www.globenew...ing-Levels.html

"On average, study participants consuming 300 mg/day experienced a statistically significant 51% increase in whole blood NAD+ within two weeks. This increase was maintained throughout the remainder of the eight-week study."

"This is the first clinical trial to measure both the kinetics and dose-dependent effects of chronic Niagen supplementation. 132 healthy overweight adults completed the randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel arm trial. The results show how supplementation with three different daily doses of Niagen (100 mg, 300 mg, 1000 mg) initially increase and then sustain elevated blood NAD levels over the course of an 8-week period."

Edited by midas, 09 July 2019 - 12:19 AM.

• Off-Topic x 6
  • like x 2

#2202 SomethingClever

• 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:05 PM

Two things

2) I've been taking NR 250 twice most days a week for 4-5 years now. In the beginning I noticed new dark brown hairs growing on my forearms and other places which lasted for 6-12 months. This gradually stopped but started at a very slow rate again just 3-4 months ago. I take NR for breakfast and before going to bed. I've never knowingly had a bad experience with it.

Stan

You don't find that taking it before bed disrupts your sleep? I thought I noticed that taking it at night made it harder to fall asleep and switched to AM which seemed to fix things.

#2203 Tim Ventura

• 48 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:07 AM

• Dosage: 600 mg Niagen/day + 125mg NMN/day
  • NR brand: Tru Niagen & Alive By Nature NMN
  • Method of administration:  NR ingested / NMN sublingual
  • Dosage frequency: Once In Morning
  • How did you arrive at the dosage you're using: Seems most impactful on lunchtime workout
  • Consumed with or without food: With vitamins, without food
  • When did NR consumption commence - how long have you been taking it: 4 weeks
  • Are you considering the circadian clock in your decision of when to dose: No
  • Are you taking any other NAD+ precursors: NR + NMN, as mentioned above
  • Are you taking any CD38 inhibitors: No
  • Are you taking any other "mitochondrial enhancers": 10mg PQQ, 400mg CoQ10, 300mg Reservatrol (Grape Seed Extract), 100mg Pterostilbene
  • Athletic/exercise experience: seasoned athlete
  • Types of exercise involved: weight lifting
  • Health metrics: None
  • Measurable cognitive changes: None
  • Measurable changes in fitness: 25% Strength Improvement, 50% Reduced Recovery Time
  • General, overall analysis of NR: "It's doing something"

I welcome thoughts, feedback & experiences of others on this. Long story short, I've been listening to David Sinclair's podcasts and decided to try NMN. The shipment of Alive By Nature was slow, and during reading online I found that NR (Niagen) should show similar effects, so I got into that first. Now I am taking both. I'm also taking Costco Grape Seed + Reservatrol, CoQ10, Swanson's PQQ & Pterostilbene.

My experience is subjective, but I can say that I have a definite increase in STRENGTH and reduced recovery time in the gym. I've also had periods of 2+ hours of feeling a heightened sense of "wellbeing" and just feeling healthier than usual. However, these seem to be rare, and only last about 2 hours.

I'm 43, been lifting for years, I know my body well. This is helping, but it's NOT the "WOW" effect that you read about online. I have wondered if that's because my dosage is low, but I'm taking 4 Tru Niagen caps + 1 scoop of NMN powder (about 125mg) per day. When I started taking this, there were 2 or 3 times that I felt truly GREAT for about 2 hours after it "kicked in" (seems to take 1 to 2 hours for it to take effect). However, that quit happening fairly quickly. I'm dieting some also, it seems to help with weight loss, and Sinclair recommends calorie restriction to increase sirtuin levels.

I am also experiencing a bit of joint pain, but this is recent and I attribute it to increasing my workout. Again relying on intuition, my muscle strength has increased, but joint capacity has not (or at least not as rapidly). Thus the joints are suffering higher impact than they were before, and a bit sore.

My intuition tells me that to get the "miracle effects" promoted online a much higher dose may be required. Sinclair himself claims to take 1 gram of NMN per day, which presumably metabolizes faster into NAD than NR does.

Here's a link to a Tru Niagen study showing positive effects at 1,000mg per day. https://medium.com/n...udy-cd1b383ccea

So an "effective dose" may be 1g, and a "good" dose may be like 2g then? That's kinda expensive in terms of supplementation. Like $150 to $300 a month or more, even taking into account the bulk pricing.

Thing is: safety concerns aside (because 1g to 2g is a LOT of chemical to be putting into your body), being physically stronger is the only real effect I'm seeing right now. NOT more alert, not feeling more energetic, not healing faster, not seeing signs of "anti-aging".

Open to suggestions & ideas.

Edited by Tim Ventura, 12 July 2019 - 02:09 AM.

• Informative x 5

#2204 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:12 PM

Price of NR seems to be climbing.

Is pretty much all NR sold nowadays about the same price? 

Tru Niagen doesn't seem any more or less expensive than any other brand. 

Edited by Phoebus, 09 August 2019 - 03:14 PM.

• Off-Topic x 1

#2205 Tim Ventura

• 48 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:33 PM

Tru Niagen seems less expensive than Elysium, but I believe that has Pterostilbene added it it. Could be wrong though.

Since Chromadex owns the patent, and Tru Niagen & Elysium are the only 2 licensees, I'd be wary of buying anything else.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2206 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:14 PM

My intuition tells me that to get the "miracle effects" promoted online a much higher dose may be required. Sinclair himself claims to take 1 gram of NMN per day, which presumably metabolizes faster into NAD than NR does.

Here's a link to a Tru Niagen study showing positive effects at 1,000mg per day. https://medium.com/n...udy-cd1b383ccea

So an "effective dose" may be 1g, and a "good" dose may be like 2g then? That's kinda expensive in terms of supplementation. Like $150 to $300 a month or more, even taking into account the bulk pricing.

Thing is: safety concerns aside (because 1g to 2g is a LOT of chemical to be putting into your body), being physically stronger is the only real effect I'm seeing right now. NOT more alert, not feeling more energetic, not healing faster, not seeing signs of "anti-aging".

Open to suggestions & ideas.

I have seen several hype cycles come and go here in the forum. It is the nature of the human psyche to think "if a little is good" more is better. This is almost NEVER the case. People have mega-dosed on resveratrol, C60, piracetam, etc... Nothing comes without side effects. Nothing except senolytics has the capability to get at the root cause of aging. My personal opinion is that NAD+ boosters will help people maintain health and maybe slow aging a tiny bit, but it is not a silver bullet. I would rather spend my money supporting new research that spend $300 a month on NAD+ boosters.

• Agree x 2
  • Disagree x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#2207 Oakman

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:14 PM

I have seen several hype cycles come and go here in the forum. It is the nature of the human psyche to think "if a little is good" more is better. This is almost NEVER the case. People have mega-dosed on resveratrol, C60, piracetam, etc... Nothing comes without side effects. Nothing except senolytics has the capability to get at the root cause of aging. My personal opinion is that NAD+ boosters will help people maintain health and maybe slow aging a tiny bit, but it is not a silver bullet. I would rather spend my money supporting new research that spend $300 a month on NAD+ boosters.

100% right that the dose makes it the remedy or the poison, trouble is we don't really know enough yet, even about the molecules that get the intense interest of a hype cycle. In that vein, a reasonable but not excessive dose, say ~$30/mo for Niagen*, and ~$30/mo for NMN powder *is potentially beneficial in many ways and cheap insurance, just in case they are 'the ones'. Meanwhile that leaves ~$240 to devote to research, if you are so inclined. You could go spend more, but it doesn't seem essential at this point.

Truly, why not do both, then you potentially up the odds of being around to see the results of your research money!

*approximately what I dose, 300 mg/day Niagen; NMN ~400 mg/every ~2-3rd day pre-exercise. That's what I've found to be the lowest dose that seems useful. IMO lower doses have turned out better for long term use. In my case I'm into years at this point, where I initially did the 'human thing' and did megadosing.

Edited by Oakman, 09 August 2019 - 05:23 PM.

#2208 Tim Ventura

• 48 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:36 PM

I'm currently taking 600mg a day of NR - up from 300 in the past. The body seems to normalize a bit to it, maybe that's why Sinclair is megadosing on NMN. The muscle strength seems to be lasting, however.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#2209 joesixpack

• 467 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:47 PM

Hi, I tried the high doses and could not deal with them. I will try the 300 mg dose and see how it goes, but will not hesitate to drop back to 150 which seems to work for me. I have had an almost total lack of pain from osteoarthritis. I will also resume C60 which has had different positive developments. 

I will update this is a few weeks. I am starting to think that you have to stop everything for a couple of weeks periodically. I have done that for 2 weeks with no adverse effects, in fact the effects have continued during the stop. I have restarted the NR at 150, will go to 300 (which I do not think will be positive) and resume c60 at the normal dose next week. I will update this and let you know what the result is.

The use of both substances has been positive overall. Although my thyroid THS level went up at my last blood draw, no idea what that is about. Will report on that as time goes on.

Sometimes I wonder if there Docs know what they are talking about, other than reading literature and following it blindly. He reduced my levothyroxine dose last September out of the blue. Now he has increased it. I had some symptoms consisted with low thyroid. I feel better. I will resist it the next time.

I do not think it should have been changed. 

Here is an  update. I tried 300 mg and did not like it. I dropped back to 150 mg. A study came out - there is a link to it in an earlier post. It showed increased NAD+ up to 51% with a 300 mg does. Interestingly, it also showed a 22% increase with a 100mg dose, so I have decided to stick with 150 mg. I am taking it almost every day, and using C60 2 to three days a week. No physical changes to report, no problems either.

#2210 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:19 AM

Here is an  update. I tried 300 mg and did not like it. I dropped back to 150 mg. 

What did you dislike?  

I'm currently taking 600mg a day of NR - up from 300 in the past. The body seems to normalize a bit to it, maybe that's why Sinclair is megadosing on NMN. The muscle strength seems to be lasting, however.

Sinclair has said he was taking 500 mg of NMN a day at one point then 750 mg for a while and he has reported his latest amount is 1,000 mg. 

• Needs references x 1

#2211 joesixpack

• 467 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:38 PM

What did you dislike?  

Sinclair has said he was taking 500 mg of NMN a day at one point then 750 mg for a while and he has reported his latest amount is 1,000 mg. 

I am one of those people that reacts badly to high doses of NR. I get light headed, heart pounding, very uncomfortable feelings at the 300 mg dose. I do not get those symptoms at the 150 mg dose.

• Informative x 1

#2212 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:24 PM

I am one of those people that reacts badly to high doses of NR. I get light headed, heart pounding, very uncomfortable feelings at the 300 mg dose. I do not get those symptoms at the 150 mg dose.

Interesting. Thanks. I wonder how much weight has to play in the effects in general.

#2213 joesixpack

• 467 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:29 PM

Interesting. Thanks. I wonder how much weight has to play in the effects in general.

That is a good question. I am a healthy, 69 year old male, 5'8" and weigh 150 pounds. Maybe weight affects proper dosage levels. I think the recent study mentioned that the participants were mildly overweight. I will go back and read it again.

#2214 banhorn

• 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:49 PM

Hi all, update on my ~3 years with Elysium Basis. Back in early August, I was lugging around some heavy camera gear for a few weeks and ended up pulling something in my upper back/left shoulder area.  Long/short, it ended up getting worse after another tweak while working out and I ended up having to go to the doctor for some prescription naproxens to help with the pain.  All the while, continuing with Basis.  Again, I'm fit and very active typically, but had to take some time off from my activities for over a month, while trying to heal this tweaked back/shoulder... and it just wasn't getting any better.  On Friday, I remembered in the original NR personal experience thread something about NR triggering inflammation for some folks and decided to quit Basis for a bit to see if it would help.  3 days later, there is a night/day difference in pain.  I can sleep, turn my head,  get out of bed and put on a t-shirt without any discomfort now.  I stopped the naproxens over a week ago because they didn't seem to be helping, so I think the NR might have been contributing to my inflammation/discomfort.  I plan on starting Basis again once I'm fully healed.

Edited by banhorn, 16 September 2019 - 02:02 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • unsure x 1

#2215 Oakman

Posted 16 September 2019 - 04:18 PM

Hi all, update on my ~3 years with Elysium Basis. .... so I think the NR might have been contributing to my inflammation/discomfort.  I plan on starting Basis again once I'm fully healed.

How much were you taking?

#2216 banhorn

• 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 04:21 PM

How much were you taking?

Normal dose - 2 Basis pills.  Again, I'm not sure it was the NR in Basis, but I did find it interesting how quickly I improved when I stopped taking it.

#2217 banhorn

• 13 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:00 PM

That was two Basis pills/day as per the dose on the packaging, in the last post, sorry.  One more thing I've noticed in the past few days while taking a break from Basis after ~3 years taking it, is that I've gotten a little light headed from getting up quickly again.  I hadn't noticed this feeling in quite some time... but feel unchanged otherwise.  Not sure if that is related, but I figured i'd report anything out of the ordinary. The painful joint/muscle in my upper-back/shoulder area is significantly improved after 6 days off Basis. I will likely restart Basis and Yoga next week if the pain completely subsides.

Edited by banhorn, 18 September 2019 - 05:01 PM.

#2218 Oakman

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:35 PM

That was two Basis pills/day as per the dose on the packaging, in the last post, sorry.  One more thing I've noticed in the past few days while taking a break from Basis after ~3 years taking it, is that I've gotten a little light headed from getting up quickly again.  I hadn't noticed this feeling in quite some time... but feel unchanged otherwise.  Not sure if that is related, but I figured i'd report anything out of the ordinary. The painful joint/muscle in my upper-back/shoulder area is significantly improved after 6 days off Basis. I will likely restart Basis and Yoga next week if the pain completely subsides.

Perhaps to set your mind a bit at ease... I've not taken Basis, but have taken it's components separately, which I no longer do...only Niagen. Can't remember exactly (what I was taking) when I was having the joint issues, but they did stop like yours have when I stopped taking it (them?). Restarting after waiting til everything went back to normal, I now take 300 mg in the AM, and have not had the joint issues return. Also I started taking Betaine (TMG) 900 mg at the same time, after someone mentioned it lowers homocysteine and might be good along with Niagen, even though studies indicate HCY is not increased with Niagen alone.

#2219 banhorn

• 13 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:02 PM

Perhaps to set your mind a bit at ease... I've not taken Basis, but have taken it's components separately, which I no longer do...only Niagen. Can't remember exactly (what I was taking) when I was having the joint issues, but they did stop like yours have when I stopped taking it (them?). Restarting after waiting til everything went back to normal, I now take 300 mg in the AM, and have not had the joint issues return. Also I started taking Betaine (TMG) 900 mg at the same time, after someone mentioned it lowers homocysteine and might be good along with Niagen, even though studies indicate HCY is not increased with Niagen alone.

Thanks!  I'll take a look at Betaine and those studies.

#2220 joesixpack

• 467 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:32 AM

Thanks!  I'll take a look at Betaine and those studies.

Hi Banhorn,

I have been taking  150 mg of Niagen for a year. I have osteo arthritis in both feet. In January I noticed that the pain was attenuated. I was on prescription strength Naprocin for many years for this condition, until I developed a sensitivity to it. I no longer need it for feet, just general aches and pains when I over do exercise.

I have also started taking C60 last March. I have had two bouts with tendonitis. No known reason for either one. No incident to cause it. In each case I just lowered my use of that arm, and lowered weights when working out to the point it did not hurt and slowly worked through it.

I am 69, and weigh 150. You might want to try reducing the dosage of Basis when you start back up. I am pretty sure they use the same does of NR that Niagen does.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By