• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Lactobacillus reuteri (ATCC PTA 6475) - Most potent thing ever?

reuteri anti aging testosterone health lactobacillus reuteri probiotics

• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic
⌛⇒ MITOMOUSE has been fully funded!

#421 brosci

• 266 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:39 PM

On examine, it says:

Once supplementation is stopped, intestinal colonization will start to revert to normal. Further research is needed to establish the exact time frame, but it has been observed to occur between half a week to one month after supplementation is stopped. The actual time may depend on whether supplementation took place over the long term or the short term.

https://examine.com/...cillus-reuteri/

I was thinking about grabbing a few boxes and doing an every-other-day dose of 5b CFU (not sure if it would be better in the morning fasted or with meals.)

Have other strains been studied that persist after supplementation to provide lasting benefits?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#422 geo12the

• 193 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:13 PM

I wonder about the ecology of our digestive tracts and how to encourage the beneficial bacteria in probiotics to colonize and persist. There is so much unknown, it remains in many ways a black box and I am not an expert in the field. In theory taking a probiotic should be analogous to planting seeds in a field. How to encourage those seeds (bacteria) to thrive in the long term so one does not need to constantly take them? I've read many anecdotes that the beneficial effects people feel from probiotics stop when you stop taking them, and I have experienced this myself. And I read somewhere, I apologize I can no loner find the reference, a study that showed that bacteria in probiotics were found alive in the feces of people who consumed them but did not colonize the layers of the digestive tract. Are the bacteria in probiotics eventually out-competed in the digestive tract once you stop supplementation? How can you get the good bacteria  in probiotics to colonize the layers of the digestive tract? I just came across this interesting study that may provide some clues:

Front Microbiol. 2018 May 8;9:893. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2018.00893. eCollection 2018.
Genomic Variations in Probiotic Lactobacillus plantarum P-8 in the Human and Rat Gut.
Author information
1 Key Laboratory of Dairy Biotechnology and Engineering, Ministry of Education, Key Laboratory of Dairy Products Processing, Ministry of Agriculture, Inner Mongolia Agricultural University, Hohhot, China. 2 State Key Laboratory of Pathogen and Biosecurity, Beijing Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, Beijing, China.
Abstract

The effects of probiotics on host gastrointestinal health have become an area of particular interest in the field of probiotic research. However, the impact of the host intestinal environment on genomic changes in probiotic organisms remains largely unknown. To investigate, Lactobacillus plantarum P-8, a well-studied probiotic bacterium, was consumed by healthy human volunteers and rats. Then, the persistence and genomic stability of P-8 in the host gut were surveyed. qPCR results revealed that after the consumption of one dose, P-8 could be detected in the host gastrointestinal tract for 4-5 weeks. By contrast, after 4 successive weeks of consumption, P-8 could be detected for up to 17 weeks after consumption ceased. In total, 92 P-8 derived strains were isolated from fecal samples and their genomes were sequenced and analyzed. Comparative genomic analysis detected 19 SNPs, which showed the characteristics of neutral evolution in the core genome. In nearly half of samples (n = 39, 42%), the loss of one to three plasmids was observed. The frequent loss of plasmids indicated reductive evolution in the accessory genome under selection pressure within the gastrointestinal tract. We also observed a 609-bp 23S rRNA homologous fragment that may have been acquired from other species after intake. Our findings offer insight into the complex reactions of probiotics to the gut environment during survival in the host. The in vivo genomic dynamics of L. plantarum P-8 observed in this study will aid the commercial development of probiotics with more stable characteristics.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reuteri, anti aging, testosterone, health, lactobacillus reuteri, probiotics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users