• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is Modafinil Somehow Chemically Related to Pseudoephedrine (used in cold medicines)?

modafinil nootropics pseudoephedrine focus motivation energy intelligence

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 p155

• 12 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:11 PM

Note: I preface the following post with the following: I strongly advise that no one use Pseudoephedrine as an upper. 

I've been taking Nootropics of various kinds for quite a while. Recently, I decided to go hardcore and snag myself some Modafinil. 

As many of you know, it's a quantum leap from any standard Nootropic. The closest I've been able to find are Coluracetam and Noopept. But like I say, Modafinil is in a class by itself in terms help you to get "go-getting" mental and physical state for an entire day. 

That being said, what's interesting is that the state that Modafinil gets me into resembles to some extent, what I felt years ago when I used use 24-hour cold pills containing Pseudoephedrine (which i'll abbreviate as PS) as an upper in a very high pressure work environment I was in a few years ago. If you Google this, you'll see that this is fairly common. 

I emphasize "to some extent" because Modafinil is very clean, enjoyable and practical kind of lift whereas PS gve me a more hyper, jittery kind of feeling.

But I raise the question of whether they are related chemically because here's what the share in common:

1. Both induce wakefulness. If I take PS in the afternoon, I can pretty much forget about being able to sleep that evening.
  2. Both produce focus and productivity, in me at least.
  3. Both make me thirsty.
  4. Both cause me to lose my appetite. 

There are major difference and there is no way I'd consider using PS as a substitute for Modafinil. 

Anybody have any insights on whether the two are related?

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:50 PM

I believe Modafinil is a noradrenaline re-uptake inhibitor.  Noradrenaline is also known as norepinephrine.  So yes, there is an isomeric relationship of sorts mediated by one of the metabolic effects of Modafinal.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#3 p155

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:16 AM

It makes sense. A little ironic given that there are real risks to long-term use of pseudoephendrine. While I'll very cautious about my frequency use of modafinil it just seems to be of far less risk. 

I believe Modafinil is a noradrenaline re-uptake inhibitor.  Noradrenaline is also known as norepinephrine.  So yes, there is an isomeric relationship of sorts mediated by one of the metabolic effects of Modafinal.

#4 lorreann

• 20 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:07 AM

I am prescribed Modafinil by my Doctor to help me with some of the problems related to my Fibromyalgia...focus and memory problems commonly referred to as "Fibro-Fog", and also fatigue and sleep disorder problems. Anyway, it helps me a lot, but one thing I noticed was that my anxiety and social phobia went away. I have been on it for several years and my anxiety in general is much better. I have not found this with any other stimulants.

#5 p155

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

Hi Lorreann:

That's very encouraging to know. So after years of taking it, have noticed anything that you'd consider to be major drawback of long-term use?

Like for example (and I know these questions have been asked and discussed endlessly on this forum):

1. Does benefit of Modafinil diminish over time?
  2. Any negative in impact on heath as far as you know?

Also, I'm curious about what dosage you're taking. 

Thanks you so very much for you input!

I am prescribed Modafinil by my Doctor to help me with some of the problems related to my Fibromyalgia...focus and memory problems commonly referred to as "Fibro-Fog", and also fatigue and sleep disorder problems. Anyway, it helps me a lot, but one thing I noticed was that my anxiety and social phobia went away. I have been on it for several years and my anxiety in general is much better. I have not found this with any other stimulants.

#6 lorreann

• 20 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:53 AM

Hi! I take 200mg in the morning and another 100mg in the afternoon. No it doesn't diminish over time. The only thing I've noticed that changed is that I can take it and go to sleep if I wish. It's weird, it clears out the cobwebs in my head in the morning and gives me a better focus, but I'm not "speeding" on it. And I can take it later in the day and still be sleepy at bedtime. No negative effects from longterm use. It does exactly what I need from it and that is to clear my thinking. Now you have to remember that I am starting from a compromised position, so all it does is help me get somewhat to normal. I still have an extreme amount of pain and fatigue, and I'm still sluggish in my thinking, but it helps me to function with this Fibromyalgia. I've recently added Noopept and some other Nootropics and it goes well together.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#7 p155

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

I'm so very glad that Modafinil is such a big help to you. I know two people with Fibromyalgia and I have an idea of how really incapacitating it can be.

Thanks for all your feedback on your experiences on long-term use of Modafinil. I realize that everybody's different and I'm not intending it to take more than a couple times a week...but your response dose make me less paranoid about it having a negative impact on my overall health.

BTW...over the years, I've tried many of the "conventional" Nootropics, i.e. all the "racetams" and more. The only ones that have worked for me for daily usage are:

• Noopept
  • Coluracetam (amazing stuff).

I'm trying Picamilon now and it looks promising. 

Hi! I take 200mg in the morning and another 100mg in the afternoon. No it doesn't diminish over time. The only thing I've noticed that changed is that I can take it and go to sleep if I wish. It's weird, it clears out the cobwebs in my head in the morning and gives me a better focus, but I'm not "speeding" on it. And I can take it later in the day and still be sleepy at bedtime. No negative effects from longterm use. It does exactly what I need from it and that is to clear my thinking. Now you have to remember that I am starting from a compromised position, so all it does is help me get somewhat to normal. I still have an extreme amount of pain and fatigue, and I'm still sluggish in my thinking, but it helps me to function with this Fibromyalgia. I've recently added Noopept and some other Nootropics and it goes well together.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: modafinil, nootropics, pseudoephedrine, focus, motivation, energy, intelligence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users