• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Advice for Anhedonia,Depersonalization, and Cognitive Impairment?

depersonalization dpdr anhedonia brain fog

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#151 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:21 AM

Hey Everyone,

I hope you are all doing well.  I have my second appointment with my New Psychiatrist tomorrow.  Since I didnt give the Vyvanse a proper trial, I will probably get another prescription for it and try it again, and this time I will try and stay on it for a few weeks.  I am also going to ask my Pdoc about antidepressants and if I should possibly have any adjunct to my stim.  It is an hour long appointment, which is great, so I hope to have a good conversation and get some kind of game plan together.  I thought I would just update this thread a bit.  I will update again tomorrow after my meeting. 

Also,  If anyone knows any good supplements I should be taking to support my body from the Vyvanse stimulation, I have read that amphetamines arent the greatest thing to be taking, I would sure like to hear some suggestions.  I bought some Magnesium so far.  Thank you very much and have a good night,

#152 pheanix997

• 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:34 PM

Hey Everyone,

I hope you are all doing well.  I have my second appointment with my New Psychiatrist tomorrow.  Since I didnt give the Vyvanse a proper trial, I will probably get another prescription for it and try it again, and this time I will try and stay on it for a few weeks.  I am also going to ask my Pdoc about antidepressants and if I should possibly have any adjunct to my stim.  It is an hour long appointment, which is great, so I hope to have a good conversation and get some kind of game plan together.  I thought I would just update this thread a bit.  I will update again tomorrow after my meeting. 

Also,  If anyone knows any good supplements I should be taking to support my body from the Vyvanse stimulation, I have read that amphetamines arent the greatest thing to be taking, I would sure like to hear some suggestions.  I bought some Magnesium so far.  Thank you very much and have a good night,

Have you tried the ritalin yet?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#153 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:46 AM

No, Sorry, I kept planning to try it over and over, but each morning came, and each morning I would choose my Tea and coffee over the Ritalin, convincing myself not to try it, then eventually regretting not trying it.  Sigh.  I still should try it though, I am planning on starting the Vyvanse again, but this time giving it a proper trial of a few weeks.  Perhaps I will try the Ritalin a day or two before I start my Vyvanse trial.  I will update if I do.  Sorry for my unprofessional approach to the testing of Ritalin. 

#154 Dichotohmy

• 201 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:03 AM

No, Sorry, I kept planning to try it over and over, but each morning came, and each morning I would choose my Tea and coffee over the Ritalin, convincing myself not to try it, then eventually regretting not trying it.  Sigh.  I still should try it though, I am planning on starting the Vyvanse again, but this time giving it a proper trial of a few weeks.  Perhaps I will try the Ritalin a day or two before I start my Vyvanse trial.  I will update if I do.  Sorry for my unprofessional approach to the testing of Ritalin. 

To be quite honest, you are looking at psychostimulants the wrong way - in that you don't need to give them a "trial" to see if they work for you or not. These drugs almost always work as best as they ever will when you are taking them with no tolerance, so if vyvanse was a disapointment on your short duration of use, it's probably just not right for you.

It's true that certain variables greatly affect the efficacy of any stimulant med - such as sleep quality, life stress, other medications, and general mental stability - but if you're on a clean slate, such as you're feeling OK on caffeinated beverages, you're probably in an advantageous state to give ritalin a try.

Methylphenidate flat out works in my experience, and anecdotally, people view it as good for treating ADHD-combined and ADHD-hyperactive/impulsive, but it also has more side affects (peripheral) then a "cleaner" psychostimulant like D-amphetamine.

• Agree x 1

#155 magniloquentc0unt

• 299 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:52 AM

methylphenidate did absolutely zero to me 2 years ago up to 60mg instant release. zero, zip, nada, rien.

lately ive given it a go again, this time combined with moclobemide, and it did work

#156 MichaelTheAnhedonic

• 179 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:06 AM

What's going on? Are u still here?

#157 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:19 AM

What's going on? Are u still here?

Sorry for the long delay.  Not much progress with any medications... My internet access is cut down so I couldnt update as much as Id like to. 

I am now trying to figure out which antidepressant I would like to try next.  I may give SSRI/SNRI another chance. 

If anyone else has any prescription antidepressants to recommend, please let me know!  Thank you

Hope you all are doing well and that the Holidays treated you warmly.  Happy new year!

#158 forexworld12

• 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:26 AM

It doesn't seem to me you have tried any prescription medication at all ? I'm sure when you start to you'll find something good ! low dosage amisulpride seems to be a good anti-ahnedonic .!

Edited by forexworld12, 12 January 2015 - 02:28 AM.

#159 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:28 AM

It doesn't seem to me you have tried any prescription medication at all ? I'm sure when you start to you'll find something good ! low dosage amisulpride seems to be a good anti-ahnedonic .!

The Stims I eventually tried just made me wound up for a few hours each day.  I tried the vyvanse a few more times, at a week+ each try, but gave up since I got uncomfortable side effects and did not want to move up the dose any more. 

I tried lamotrigine, I lasted 15 days on that before I gave up due to side effects. Fever, mood swings, maybe rash.. went away once I stopped treatment.

My doctor has given me sample packs of Abilify to try out at low doses of 1mg and then move up from there if there is any benefit.  Not sure when I will try this..

Also, gave me sample packs of cymbalta.  I have heard this is especially hard on the liver and I am recovering from fatty liver disease so... I dont think I want to risk it.

So, where I stand now is... in limbo... I dont know what to do anymore... I will try the Abilify in the next day or two.. and hope for the best.

If the abilify doesnt help, then I may try Prozac or Zoloft or something, I have no idea...

Thanks for the help and suggestions!  I appreciate it.

As you can see, my previous last post was from "Posted 08 October 2014" , So I have had some time to try different medications this past while...

Edited by Michael Rian, 12 January 2015 - 03:29 AM.

#160 forexworld12

• 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:43 AM

it seems to me you have no idea where you are heading . Stimulants are not for long term fix !

why would you try lamotrigine ? Cymbalta,zoloft,prozac for Ahnedonia ? These things will worsen your cognitive , emotional numbling/apathy .......Anything that will increase serotonin or anything that inhibits the reuptake of serotonin will surely make you worse !

You may have something with abilify ...being a partial dopamine agonist it may help somewhat to relieve your Ahnedonia just a little but usually its an add on treatment . though its also an agonist at 5ht2c which is not good !

Edited by forexworld12, 12 January 2015 - 03:44 AM.

• Agree x 1

#161 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:04 AM

it seems to me you have no idea where you are heading . Stimulants are not for long term fix !

why would you try lamotrigine ? Cymbalta,zoloft,prozac for Ahnedonia ? These things will worsen your cognitive , emotional numbling/apathy .......Anything that will increase serotonin or anything that inhibits the reuptake of serotonin will surely make you worse !

You may have something with abilify ...being a partial dopamine agonist it may help somewhat to relieve your Ahnedonia just a little but usually its an add on treatment . though its also an agonist at 5ht2c which is not good !

You are correct, I have no idea where I am heading.  I have been trying to get relief for my issues for so long now that my mind is exhausted.  Information overload. 

My psychiatrist first thought I had adult ADHD, so we tried stimulants.  Made me a bit manic, so then my Doctor thought I was somewhere on the Bipolar spectrum, so we tried the Lamotrigine.  That made me angry, gave me insomnia, and dumbed me down, which did not help whatsoever. 

It may seem like I am grasping at straws, but after years of this condition, my mind is slow and forgetful, I am not up to the task of handling my own situation, so as much as I was against Doctors, I am now trying my best to trust one with helping me.  I feel very lost, and each time I meet with my Doctor, I feel hopeful that I will get some relief. 

I agree, the Abilify sounds the most promising out of the previous options.  Are you saying that the 5ht2c agonism would effect my cognition negatively?

Thanks again for reaching out and helping.

#162 forexworld12

• 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:25 AM

You are correct, I have no idea where I am heading.  I have been trying to get relief for my issues for so long now that my mind is exhausted.  Information overload. 

My psychiatrist first thought I had adult ADHD, so we tried stimulants.  Made me a bit manic, so then my Doctor thought I was somewhere on the Bipolar spectrum, so we tried the Lamotrigine.  That made me angry, gave me insomnia, and dumbed me down, which did not help whatsoever. 

It may seem like I am grasping at straws, but after years of this condition, my mind is slow and forgetful, I am not up to the task of handling my own situation, so as much as I was against Doctors, I am now trying my best to trust one with helping me.  I feel very lost, and each time I meet with my Doctor, I feel hopeful that I will get some relief. 

I agree, the Abilify sounds the most promising out of the previous options.  Are you saying that the 5ht2c agonism would effect my cognition negatively?

Abilifly would be the last option if anything .. its not effective for anhedonia .. its for add on treatment .. !

5ht2c agonism is going to make ahnedonia worse ... buspar won't work since it won't attach to the presynaptic 5htia due to desensitization

I have the same problem like yours .... Ahnedonia and dead libido after SSRI use ... I have done an extensive re-search with the help of friend area 1255 ..  and I have pretty much good idea whats causing it and how to treat it though I haven't tried anything except wellbutrin which didn't work due to its low affinity for dopamine about 25% .the anhedonia  it's actually caused by persistent desensitization of 5HTIA pre-synaptic autoreceptor flooding too much serotonin into the post synaptic Thus inhibiting Dopamine ,glutamate ,acetylcholine,oxyotin etc etc so basically to much serotonin flowing around the brain inhibiting major neurotransmitter like dopamine shutting of the reward pathways the brain didn't go back to pre ssri state - the 5htia is stuck in that desensitized state causing libido, and anhedonia problems ...

Edited by forexworld12, 12 January 2015 - 04:28 AM.

#163 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:37 AM

Abilifly would be the last option if anything .. its not effective for anhedonia .. its for add on treatment .. !

5ht2c agonism is going to make ahnedonia worse ... buspar won't work since it won't attach to the presynaptic 5htia due to desensitization

I have the same problem like yours .... Ahnedonia and dead libido after SSRI use ... I have done an extensive re-search with the help of friend area 1255 ..  and I have pretty much good idea whats causing it and how to treat it though I haven't tried anything except wellbutrin which didn't work due to its low affinity for dopamine about 25% .the anhedonia  it's actually caused by persistent desensitization of 5HTIA pre-synaptic autoreceptor flooding too much serotonin into the post synaptic Thus inhibiting Dopamine ,glutamate ,acetylcholine,oxyotin etc etc so basically to much serotonin flowing around the brain inhibiting major neurotransmitter like dopamine shutting of the reward pathways the brain didn't go back to pre ssri state - the 5htia is stuck in that desensitized state causing libido, and anhedonia problems ...

Ahh forgive me, Even after months of researching, The brain and how it works seems too complicated for me at this time. 

So you are saying that the 5ht1a is the area to look at.  Have you any ideas on how to remedy this issue?  Any medications in mind?

#164 forexworld12

• 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

Ahh forgive me, Even after months of researching, The brain and how it works seems too complicated for me at this time. 

So you are saying that the 5ht1a is the area to look at.  Have you any ideas on how to remedy this issue?  Any medications in mind?

No.first You would want to try something like moclobemide which had very good success rate for ahnedonia combined with abilifly . or low dosage amisulpride alone ....

• like x 1

#165 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

Would you guys have any suggestions for medications to ask about with my Doctor next visit?  I was thinking of asking about a low dose Stimulant or another type of anti-depressant.  I am just unsure my options, I really didnt like being on the SSRI and I felt that it did more damage than good.   But I am open to all suggestions, I just want my life to feel more like a life, not this half unconscious dream state. 

It may just be that you are still in protracted/persistent withdrawal syndrome -- from the alcohol and the benzodiazepine (I think you meant Ativan yes?)

Anhedonia and the other brain fog that you describe are hallmarks of both persistent alcohol withdrawal and persistent benzo withdrawal.

Yes it can take years, I speak from experience.

Bacopa may help with your GABA and with your serotonin system. It has helped others.

Have you tried hydroxizine -- yes an old antihistamine, that is an anxiolytic as well as antipsychotic.  It has been shown to help with SSRI discontinuation syndrome.

Edited by sensei, 12 January 2015 - 04:02 PM.

• like x 1

#166 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:45 PM

Abilify is a good idea because it has due to its partial agonism rather activating than deactivating effects + it doesnt induce desentitation, at least, not too fast.

mao inhibitors wouldnt do the trick, if Your brain lacks in monoamine production too much, but of course still worth a try

Dont give up, there are some options left, at least the herbal ones.

You could try rehmania glutinosa aka catalpol for GDNF upregulation

or Zhen wu tang / true warrior pill for Vmat2, DAT repair

http://www.longecity...ir/#entry706213

Just btw: Full Dopamine agonists like pramipexole, do sometimes (afaik in 19% of a relative small controll group) cause synaptic denervation, but this rather on the long run.

http://www.longecity...ts/#entry680638

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#167 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:27 PM

Thank you all so very much for all the help!!!  It really makes me feel hopeful and not so alone when I have great people like you reaching out to give a hand.  I am very hopeful that I will get some relief and my life will turn around, thanks to all your hard work and great information.  There is no way in hell I could have come as far as  I have without you people and Longecity. 

Thank you.

Perhaps I can find some papers on treatments for SSRI discontinuation syndrome and bring them to my Psychiatrist, although I doubt he would be too interested.  It is up to me to find the next medication to bring into discussion at our next meeting, it is up to me to figure out how to help myself.  With your help, it is possible.

I tried Bacopa and it gave me brain fog x 1000, It felt like my mind was sucked into my head, not a fun feeling so I gave that up.. It was AOR bacopa enlighten.

moclobemide seems to either work really well or not at all, according to all the reviews of it online, but I still should test it myself, that is, if my Doctor is open to let me try it.

I dont have access or money to afford exotic herbs or even basic herbs for that matter.  I live in Canada so my health care plan is pretty good, it pays for most of the cost of prescriptions, so I am hoping to get ideas for prescription medications at this time.  Perhaps down the road when I have funds flowing again, I can investigate herbs and supplements again.

#168 MichaelTheAnhedonic

• 179 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

So... very risky but probably effective treatment is ECT...

Great.

• Disagree x 1

#169 forexworld12

• 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:47 AM

Abilify is a good idea because it has due to its partial agonism rather activating than deactivating effects + it doesnt induce desentitation, at least, not too fast.

mao inhibitors wouldnt do the trick, if Your brain lacks in monoamine production too much, but of course still worth a try

Dont give up, there are some options left, at least the herbal ones.

You could try rehmania glutinosa aka catalpol for GDNF upregulation

or Zhen wu tang / true warrior pill for Vmat2, DAT repair

http://www.longecity...ir/#entry706213

Just btw: Full Dopamine agonists like pramipexole, do sometimes (afaik in 19% of a relative small controll group) cause synaptic denervation, but this rather on the long run.

http://www.longecity...ts/#entry680638

I think one wouldn't know until one tries it !

It depends on the kind of depression we are talking about ..SSRI are very effective for treating certain kinds of depression but are highly ineffective for treating apathy/emotional numbling  infact they are the cause of it ..on the other hand reversible Mao inhibitors would do the trick  they are effective for Inducing pleasure improving mood and higher libido. Serotonin and anhedonia do not go hand in hand.  ..if anything we want to lower it .  for treating ssri induced anhedonia targeting reward pathways(dopamine and norepinephrine which moclobemide does) are very important .due to persistent desensitization of 5HTIA and others  you have a lot of serotonin flowing around the brain that disrupts the reward signalling and induce zombiness and sexual dysfunction.   Wellbutrin is generally prescribed but people forget it is an NRI, it has only 25-30% affinity for dopamine..

I guess if there is something that is anti-serotonin and release less serotonin in the synapse that will balance it out!

Dopamine agonist for ahnedonia/libido usually works but are horrible choices -- it wears off soon enough due to down-regulation and desensitization and now you have double trouble .. 

Increasing BDNF may work! 

Try zhen wu tang as flex recommend , moclobemide,abilifly or low dosage amisulpride. should do the trick!

• Ill informed x 1

#170 jaiho

• 521 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

Any thoughts on IM Ketamine for Anhedonia?

Reports on bluelight it cured people's Anhedonia and depersonalization.

#171 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:04 PM

Is it better than taking the tablet as such  ?

#172 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:18 AM

Any thoughts on IM Ketamine for Anhedonia?

Reports on bluelight it cured people's Anhedonia and depersonalization.

I was under the impression that Ketamine produces Depersonalization in people.  It certainly had that effect on me when I tried it a few years ago.  But then again, I only used a line of powder, no idea the dose, no idea the purity. 

#173 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:28 AM

I am starting to think that I have SSRI induced frontal lobe damage and SSRI induced Apathy. Perhaps combined with MDMA/Stimulant/Alcohol damage from years ago.  I was on Cipralex and Ativan for around 5 years total, all the while ingesting large amounts of alcohol, cigarettes, marijuana, and frequent MDMA use.  I was in a very bad place but I didnt care about anything whatsoever.

I was lucky enough to turn my life around completely, thanks to family, diet, exercise, sleep routine, and change of environment. 

But for a few years now I have been feeling the same.  Apathetic, Slow, Numb, Desensitized, indifferent. BLAH.  Plus my working memory is gone, I cant even read a paragraph and remember what I just read. It is like my head is full of mud.  I will put the thoughts of Alzheimer's and Dementia aside for now, but I do believe my working memory impairments are quite serious, added with Depersonalization and mood issues.  

OCLC 83622338.pdf - Antidep SSRI apathy syndrome Barnhart 2004.pdf

The precise etiology of SSRI-induced indifference remains unknown. However, a number of investigators have proposed possible explanations. For example, Barnhart et al4 suggest that this syndrome may be related to

1) serotonergic effects on the frontal lobes and/or

2) serotonergic modulation of mid-brain dopaminergic systems, which project to the prefrontal cortex.

Likewise, Wongpakaran et al11 suggest the possibility of frontal lobe dysfunction due to the alteration of serotonin levels.

#174 forexworld12

• 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:48 AM

Frontal lobe Damage from SSRI , like real damage ? highly unlikely ! Like I said desensitization  inhibits reward neurotransmitters from rising in the pre-frontal cortex   . it's imbalance ! ...On the other hand ssri increase BDNF so there's something good about them ..

However I do not know if MDMA and stimulants can damage the brain ..?

you can take something to increase glutamate and acetylcholine . they help with the memory part and learning !!

#175 Galaxyshock

• 1,468 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:46 AM

I was on Cipralex and Ativan for around 5 years total

This in my opinion might just be the biggest cause, long-term benzo usage. How was your withdrawal from Ativan?

• Agree x 1

#176 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:22 AM

I was on Cipralex and Ativan for around 5 years total

This in my opinion might just be the biggest cause, long-term benzo usage. How was your withdrawal from Ativan?

My mistake, The Cipralex was daily, the Ativan was as needed.  I did use it often but it was very small amounts, and not even close to daily use.  Sorry for any confusion.  I abused it while drinking for several nights in my past... which I know is very dangerous. 

I have been off of Cipralex for around 3 years now.  I have probably used 1/6th an ativan pill, around 4 times in the last 3 years.   I didnt noticed much withdrawal from either drugs.. but I was also withdrawing from alcohol an cigarettes near the same time, so any withdrawal would be a combination of everything. 

Sorry, My past is very hazy for the time of my life.  I am trying to remember the facts but its difficult.  I apologize for any misunderstandings.

#177 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:01 PM

Perhaps combined with MDMA/Stimulant/Alcohol damage from years ago.  I was on Cipralex and Ativan for around 5 years total, all the while ingesting large amounts of alcohol, cigarettes, marijuana, and frequent MDMA use. 

Ding Ding Ding -- we have a winner.

Not to be flippant, but what we have here is a failure to communicate.

You have basically trashed both your GABA (from alcohol and Ativan) and Serotonin ( from cipralex (Lexapro in US) and MDMA) neurotransmitter systems homeostasis, as well as the other neurotransmitter damage caused by Alcohol

You are about where it is to be expected after 5 years of alcohol, Lexapro, MDMA, and Ativan use/abuse. with 3 years sober (but still taking psychoactive drugs)

You were on a VERY VERY powerful extremely selective SSRI -- Lexapro/Cipralex -- , some people suffer from SSRI discontinuation for years after that long on Lexapro/cipralex -- your symptomology is tetbook

You also did a number on your GABA system abusing alcohol along with Ativan.  

And if you were using meth or speed you have trashed your dopamine system as well (which can cause anhedonia and depersonalization)

Bacopa gave you brain fog -- it could have been normalizing your serotonin system -- if it is not unbearable I would recommend going back on the bacopa

I am not a doctor, but if i were you I would stop $#%@^-ing up my neurotransmitter systems by playing anti-depressant roulette.

Check out Science Guy's thread (here on longecity) on healing your GABA system -- while I don't agree with everything he says (specifically his issues with kava -- I have found absolutely no negative effects from kava use as an anxiolytic or as a tool to help repair gaba after bzd (benzo) use/abuse) he is pretty much right about everything else

Bottom line -- it sucks where you are, and its going to take probably a few more years until you feel 'right' again

But -- you will get there if you stop $#%@^-ing up your brain by constantly dousing it in anti-pschotics/ ssris ssnris etc.

Edited by sensei, 15 January 2015 - 04:06 PM.

• Agree x 1

#178 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:18 PM

OH -- you should also get your Testosterone levels checked

After such damage to your GABA/Serotonin/Dopaminerigic systems -- your hypothalamus -pituitary-adrenal axis could be dysfunctional as well -- Which can cause low testosterone

Low testosterone can cause or contribute to -- depersonalization, anhedonia, lack of libido, and depression

#179 pheanix997

• 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:57 PM

Have you tried modafinil yet? I'm in Canada too and just got a script for alertec. Unless you really have ADHD I would not go down the stimulant route. Like someone said above, you'll have double-trouble once tolerance kicks in. I've been on an SSRI for three years and I'm starting to feel the anhedonia and lethargy; best thing to do is build up your dopamine supply naturally and over time. Yours is a tricky situation, I'm not sure if you should hop back on an SSRI if you've had so much trouble from it. 

Something that's important to ask yourself is, did you have any of the cognitive difficulties prior to your SSRI use? Perhaps you were too young and unaware to have picked up on or even cared about your ability to read through things fluently? 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#180 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:37 PM

Have you tried modafinil yet? I'm in Canada too and just got a script for alertec. Unless you really have ADHD I would not go down the stimulant route. Like someone said above, you'll have double-trouble once tolerance kicks in. I've been on an SSRI for three years and I'm starting to feel the anhedonia and lethargy; best thing to do is build up your dopamine supply naturally and over time. Yours is a tricky situation, I'm not sure if you should hop back on an SSRI if you've had so much trouble from it. 

Something that's important to ask yourself is, did you have any of the cognitive difficulties prior to your SSRI use? Perhaps you were too young and unaware to have picked up on or even cared about your ability to read through things fluently? 

Hey there, Thanks for the insight.  I have tried Modafinil, but only at 100mgs and I didnt really feel much.  I still have some of the prescription left, maybe I should try it again.  A few months ago, when I first saw my new Psychiatrist, he originally thought I had adult ADHD, and have had it from childhood.  While I could see this as a possibility, the only problem is that before I started the SSRI and Ativan, I was a fantastic reader, My highest grades in High school were in Computer classes and English classes.  I had a great memory and I could remember a book fully after reading it.  My working memory was great and I was so full of ideas.

Now years after, I am left in a haze.  Obviously it could be any number of things, drugs, alcohol, but I feel like the SSRIs did the most damage.  I was orginally put on them for panic and anxiety after a night of using MDMA.  While the SSRI worked just as it should and killed off any panic or anxiety, Now I do not get those anymore...I do not get much of anything anymore.  I feel like when it subdued my panic and anxiety issues, it also killed my working memory, my emotions, my character, my soul....   I know that sounds ridiculous to some, but it is how I feel. 

I have been exercising everyday, eating very healthy, routinely sleeping well, and interacting with school and new environments for the past 3 years, all the while off of medications.  I have only been using supplements and vitamins, but they do not help very much, just slightly.  The last few months have been when I decided to try medications again, so I have tried a few through my psychiatrists care, with not much luck and I must admit, I am scared to damage myself anymore from medications.  I just do not know what to do or what is wrong with me, and I know my psychiatrist is just doing a guessing game and seeing what works. 

Anyways, I am now sick with the flu, I have just woke up and not have had breakfast yet, so please forgive my grammar and content. 

Thanks again for all and any hep, I really appreciate it. 

All the best,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depersonalization, dpdr, anhedonia, brain fog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users