• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Don't feel I've slept at all (too much serotonin?)

serotonin

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:48 PM

If I take 5htp, sjw, caffeine, pregnenolone, SAMe, etc., before bed then when I wake up I have a tingling feeling in my head and sometimes my chest, too, and it literally feels like I haven't slept even one hour; this effect occurs even if I sleep 10 or 12 hours.

Rarely but sometimes melatonin can cause this effect as well, strangely.

My problem is that I have this problem every single day, even if I take nothing at all and go to bed early or late, do exercise before or not, etc.

I also have the problem of constantly gasping or sighing, like being very depressively tired, or something. But I am not depressed (at least don't feel anything).

I also have a problem with not feeling how tired I really am, so I have to be lucky to even feel my tiredness.

Could my problem be excess serotonin/serotonergic activity?

If so, what could I do to fix the problem?

#2 pro-v

• 112 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:06 AM

There's a lot of supplements on your list that strongly affect serotonin (5htp, SJW and SAMe) and that can definitely cause the symptoms you are having. I'd pick one of the 3 and get checked out if you continue to have issues. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:41 PM

There's a lot of supplements on your list that strongly affect serotonin (5htp, SJW and SAMe) and that can definitely cause the symptoms you are having. I'd pick one of the 3 and get checked out if you continue to have issues. 

I am NOT suggesting that I take multiple serotonergics at the same time, I wouldn't do such a silly thing especially not when I've experienced serotonin syndrome before.

What I am suggesting is that all serotonergics I've tried produce the problem I am having and worsen it if I am already having it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 signsandwonders

• 13 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:54 AM

I really don't think theres much to back your serotonin theory.

My problem is that I have this problem every single day, even if I take nothing at all and go to bed early or late

And yeah taking Melatonin can easily make you feel sleepy when waking up. Sleeping 10-12 hours is also going to leave you feeling tired.

I think you should see a doctor instead of trying to diagnose yourself with what an oversimplified knowledge of your brain chemistry.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: serotonin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users