* * * * * 1 votes

The dark side of curcumin

curcumin cancer dna damage

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 MidwestGreg

• 37 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

well, i only care if its good for depression honestly. cancer will eat you, but depression will stay till the end

It had the opposite effect on me. I was alternating between LEF Curcumin and Vimerson Heath Turmeric Curcumin for the anti-inflammatory effects. About a month into the protocol, I noticed that I was feeling very blah. Not depressed, but somewhat melancholy. I bounced back within a week of stopping the curcumin. YMMV as always.

#62 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:13 PM

Yeah I don't think it is a go to for depression, like for example, St. John's wort. It seems to have some weak effect on this.

I'm more interested in its anti-inflammatory properties.

how is st john wort good for depression? ive tried it so many times, i dont get it. but then again ive tried prozac and i didnt feel that either

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 chris85

• 34 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:07 PM

The fresh tincture is considerably stronger than dried capsules. This is common knowledge in circles of clinical herbalists.

But, depression really requires getting to the cause of the problem which I think is psychological. I know that doesn't necessarily make it easy to get out from.

• Needs references x 1

#64 Jesuisfort

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

This study is probably an anomaly . For example, i found several study that said vitamin D is bad for health ,   I even found study that said smoking is good for cancer...  Of course,the studies I just mentioned are just anomalies

Its statistic, if you study something 100 times , you will find an anomaly

Just ignore this study

#65 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:48 AM

smoking and alcohol can cause cancer but can also be bad for cancer cells as well since they are so toxic to cells in general. it just makes sense

• dislike x 1

#66 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:00 AM

Apparently nutrahacker says since I’m a low MAOA responder it’s bad for me.

#67 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:56 AM

this in relation to curcumin and the best type to take; https://www.nutraing...ulated-curcumin

#68 Jesuisfort

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:16 PM

smoking and alcohol can cause cancer but can also be bad for cancer cells as well since they are so toxic to cells in general. it just makes sense

So you are telling us that curcumin can cause cancer like alcohol and smoking ? 

#69 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:24 AM

ive never heard of curcumin causing cancer, but i did read it can be a pro-oxidant which is opposite of antioxidant in high or prolonged doses. what effect that has on health and cancer, im not sure

#70 wickedweed

• 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:49 PM

Are there any new studies regarding that topic? I take a thorne product called S.A.T with the following ingredients:

One Capsule Contains:
Silybin Phytosome* (Silybum marianum extract (fruit) / Phospholipid complex from Sunflower)) 150 mg
Artichoke extract (leaf) (Cynara scolymus) 150 mg.
Curcumin Phytosome* (Curcuma longa extract (root) / Phospholipid complex from Sunflower)) 150 mg.

Do you guys think the amount is safe to take daily?
  • Needs references x 1

#71 YOLF

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:41 PM

According to limited population studies, an SNP that is strongly responsible for the rate of mutation in our genetics is nearly absent in Indian populations (where curcumin and turmeric were used traditionally). It could be that it's very beneficial in their population and a driver of their genetic development as they are mostly resistant to its effects on an enzymatic level.

My observation of LC would lead me to guess that we are strong mutation accumulators, presumably with alot of good mutations or we wouldn't be here, but sometimes on that threshold that needs attention.

It could be that reproductive and religious ceremonies reduce the survival rate of the fastest mutants, thus ensuring consistently resilient and biologically well adapted offspring:

Customs

In both Hinduism and Buddhism, turmeric is linked to fertility, luck and the sun. Because of this, turmeric is traditionally used in wedding ceremonies and the roots of its plants are often a gift to pregnant women. In nuptial customs, turmeric may be applied to the bride's skin as part of purification ritual before the ceremony. Turmeric's use is forbidden in a house in mourning. In southern India, the dried rhizome is often worn in an amulet as protection against evil and to bring about healing or good luck.

Hinduism

In Hindu worship ceremonies, turmeric powder is used to symbolize both inner purity and inner pride. Worshipers use turmeric paste to anoint statues and images of Hindu deities in religious ceremonies. Along with symbolizing fertility and prosperity in the Hindu religion, turmeric also represents purity. The yellow and orange coloring of turmeric add to its significance in Hindu practice with yellow representing the space between chastity and sensuality, as well as the sacral chakra. Orange represents the sun, sacrifice and courage, as well as the solar plexus chakra.

https://classroom.sy...c-12086453.html

Given turmeric's effects, it might lead to a survival of the fittest or at least survival of pregnancies with the highest level of genomic stability or mutation resistance. Traditionally, this would have resulted in consistently healthier offspring.

The little blue speck on the GIH bar is the incidence of the gene in the Gujarati Indian population... though n is probably something like 100, so this is all speculation.

• unsure x 1

#72 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:19 PM

well that makes sense since the whole turmeric being good for you all started with the indian population and indian esearch on it and then westerners jumped right on it and started taking it forgetting there is something called genetic diversity? white man is still so stupid despite all the knowledge he had gained...

• Needs references x 1

#73 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:22 AM

Remember to buy fresh Turmeric roots and learn to consume them. You can see easily if the root is moldy or old. With the powder and the capsules you never know what you get.

Attached Files

• Attached File  turm.png   111.06KB   1 downloads

• Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#74 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:28 PM

kalliste, yolf made a good point. did you even pay attention to him? its not about the root or the pills dude lol

• Ill informed x 2

#75 Ibbz

• 42 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:49 AM

http://newsroom.ucla...ucla-study-says

"The people who took curcumin experienced significant improvements in their memory and attention abilities, while the subjects who received placebo did not, Small said. In memory tests, the people taking curcumin improved by 28 percent over the 18 months. Those taking curcumin also had mild improvements in mood, and their brain PET scans showed significantly less amyloid and tau signals in the amygdala and hypothalamus than those who took placebos."

Note that the study used 'Theracurmin' with better bio availability, not standard Curcumin.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#76 YOLF

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:58 AM

Folate prevents birth defects and health problems in fast mutants. The recommended folate intake in India is also lower and it is mostly absent as an additive to most Indian grains, at least in the Deep brand that I'm familiar with. There is also a move towards improving compliance of iron and folate supplementation among women of reproductive age in India.

Commercial sources of turmeric aren't dangerous or likely to be contaminated. Roughly 85-92% of the US would respond similarly to the Indian population if the GIH data is an accurate representation of Indian genetics. However, b/c they have so few fast mutators, if could very well be that side effects will happen in that other 8-15% of Staters for which there will be no precedent in Indian studies.

Fast mutants in India also would have developed under tighter constraints considering the mutation that turmeric/curcumin can cause leading them to have somewhat higher resilience, or an enhanced capacity for DNA repair oslt. Imo, turmeric/curcumin during pregnancy could just be replaced with higher folate recommendations and enrichment of the food supply. Though the need for it might not be represented as well in statistical data due to the limited number of people who would benefit from it in the short term given the present methods.

Sorry, original post was more thorough, but lost it to a connection problem...

#77 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:51 PM

something else to read before taking things like curcumin; https://www.scienced...80712114446.htm

• Ill informed x 1

#78 osris

• 518 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 10:45 PM

Another dark side of curcumin exists if you are at risk for lung cancer.

Lung tumor promotion by curcumin

Curcumin exhibits anti-inflammatory and antitumor activity and is being tested in clinical trials as a chemopreventive agent for colon cancer. Curcumin's chemopreventive activity was tested in a transgenic mouse model of lung cancer that expresses the human Ki-rasG12C allele in a doxycycline (DOX) inducible and lung-specific manner. The effects of curcumin were compared with the lung tumor promoter, butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), and the lung cancer chemopreventive agent, sulindac. Treatment of DOX-induced mice with dietary curcumin increased tumor multiplicity (36.3 ± 0.9 versus 24.3 ± 0.2) and progression to later stage lesions, results which were similar to animals that were co-treated with DOX/BHT. Microscopic examination showed that the percentage of lung lesions that were adenomas and adenocarcinomas increased to 66% in DOX/BHT, 66% in DOX/curcumin and 49% in DOX/BHT/curcumin-treated groups relative to DOX only treated mice (19%). Immunohistochemical analysis also showed increased evidence of inflammation in DOX/BHT, DOX/curcumin and DOX/BHT/curcumin mice relative to DOX only treated mice. In contrast, co-treatment of DOX/BHT mice with 80 p.p.m. of sulindac inhibited the progression of lung lesions and reduced the inflammation. Lung tissue from DOX/curcumin-treated mice demonstrated a significant increase (33%; P = 0.01) in oxidative damage, as assessed by the levels of carbonyl protein formation, relative to DOX-treated control mice after 1 week on the curcumin diet. These results suggest that curcumin may exhibit organ-specific effects to enhance reactive oxygen species formation in the damaged lung epithelium of smokers and ex-smokers. Ongoing clinical trials thus may need to exclude smokers and ex-smokers in chemopreventive trials of curcumin.

It looks like the "Lung tumor promotion by curcumin" study is an outlier study, so maybe shouldn't be relied on:

"Curcumin, a natural chemical component derived from turmeric (Curcuma longa), has been extensively studied for its potential anticancer effects. While it is generally known for its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and other biological activities, recent research has focused on its role in cancer therapy, including lung cancer. Studies have demonstrated that curcumin exhibits an anticancer effect by modulating various factors, such as growth factors, enzymes, transcription factors, kinases, inflammatory cytokines, and pro- and anti-apoptotic proteins, which are crucial in cancer progression [2]. Moreover, it has been found to suppress lung cancer progression through certain molecular mechanisms.

a study conducted to explore the potential molecular mechanism of curcumin in regulating lung cancer progression investigated the expression of circRUNX1, miR‐760, and Ras-like GTPase 3D (RAB3D) in lung cancer cells [1]. The findings of this study suggest that curcumin can suppress lung cancer progression via the circRUNX1 mediated miR‐760/RAB3D axis. CircRUNX1, which is upregulated in lung cancer, is inhibited by curcumin treatment. Curcumin reduces lung cancer cell proliferation, metastasis, and promotes apoptosis. Furthermore, curcumin's effects on lung cancer cells are influenced by its regulation of miR‐760 and its target, RAB3D [1].

Another study mentions curcumin's versatile role in lung cancer therapy, along with its derivatives [6]. The research explores the potential of curcumin and its derivatives as therapeutic agents in lung cancer treatment.

However, it is essential to note that there is another study that presents contrasting results. The study titled "Lung tumor promotion by curcumin" discusses the possible promotion of lung tumors by curcumin [3]. The authors, Stephanie T. Dance-Barnes et al., report that curcumin might have an unintended impact on lung tumor promotion based on their findings. It's important to consider this perspective in the broader context of curcumin's effects on lung cancer." (ChatGPT)

Edited by osris, 02 August 2023 - 10:54 PM.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#79 osris

• 518 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 10:59 PM

Also, regarding the Lung tumor promotion by curcumin" study:

1. "Study Design and Model: The study utilized a transgenic mouse model of lung cancer induced by doxycycline (DOX) in combination with dietary curcumin. While animal models are valuable for preliminary research, translating the results to humans can be challenging. The study did not address the potential differences in the metabolism and response to curcumin between mice and humans, which could affect the relevance of the findings.

2. Dosing and Duration: The study used dietary curcumin, and the dosage and duration of exposure may not accurately reflect how humans consume curcumin as a dietary supplement or through natural sources. It is essential to consider the differences in the bioavailability and pharmacokinetics of curcumin when interpreting the results.

3. Comparison with Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT): The study compared the effects of curcumin with BHT, a known lung tumor promoter. However, BHT is not a clinically relevant lung cancer risk factor in humans. Comparing curcumin to other tumor promoters that are more relevant to human lung cancer development could yield different conclusions.

4. Absence of Clinical Evidence: The study only focused on the effects of curcumin in a mouse model and did not provide direct evidence of curcumin's lung tumor-promoting effects in human subjects. Clinical trials and epidemiological studies in humans are essential to establish a direct link between curcumin intake and lung tumor promotion in real-world scenarios.

5. Limited Mechanistic Insights: The study identified increased tumor multiplicity and progression in mice treated with curcumin, but the underlying mechanisms were not extensively explored. Further investigations into the molecular pathways involved in curcumin-induced lung tumor promotion are necessary to gain a comprehensive understanding.

6. Opposing Studies: It is important to consider other studies with contradictory findings. Some research has demonstrated curcumin's potential anti-tumor properties and ability to suppress inflammation, which could counteract the observed tumor-promoting effects in this particular study.

In conclusion, while the "Lung tumor promotion by curcumin" study provides valuable insights into curcumin's effects in a specific mouse model, its limitations and the absence of clinical evidence warrant cautious interpretation. Further research, including human clinical trials, is necessary to establish a definitive conclusion on curcumin's role in lung tumor promotion or prevention.

Edited by osris, 02 August 2023 - 11:02 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: curcumin, cancer, dna damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users