multivitamins iron vitamins risk aging death free radicals ageing theory

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 opales

• 892 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 05:48 PM

FYI

http://www.post-gaze...6079/673520.stm

But doctors say many patients view vitamins as a quick fix to compensate for poor eating habits, and resist any suggestion that taking them may not be beneficial. "A lot of people are passionate about their vitamins," says Dr. Miller of the National Institute on Aging. "I don't know where they get it from, but it's not based on scientific evidence."

"The psyche of the U.S. population is that a nutraceutical can't be harmful and might be helpful, so why not take it?" says Dr. Klein. "That thinking is just not correct. The message is: Be careful until the data is in."

I especially like the latter quote, it reflects very well my philosophy on supplements.

Edited by Mind, 26 February 2009 - 08:38 PM.

#2 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:50 PM

Yes, you are very anti supplement and even a bit anti vitamin. However, I can't disagree with this part: "Be careful until the data is in." That's the way I look at things too. There are many new supplements coming out and getting hyped. I intend to let the early adopters be the guinnea pigs for ampekines, stabolol and other new gee-whiz goodies. About the only new thing I'm trying is resveratrol since it's not really new at all and has been field tested for millenia in natural sources. That's about the extent of my experimenting on new things. I'll stick with piracetam, choline, vinpocetine and a few others plus my vitamins.

What do you take, Opales?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:57 PM

About the only new thing I'm trying is resveratrol since it's not really new at all and has been field tested for millenia in natural sources.

Yet the people who get a lot resveratrol from red wine die pretty much on schedule, like everyone else.

#4 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

I have the same reply to both of you:

About the only new thing I'm trying is resveratrol since it's not really new at all and has been field tested for millenia in natural sources.

Not at pharmacological doses 100x that which is possible to obtain from a glass of red wine. I wouldn't be so confident in its safety.

Yet the people who get a lot resveratrol from red wine die pretty much on schedule, like everyone else.

No one has taken pharmacological doses long-term yet. Don't dismiss its potential (haven't you seen the "fish study"?). :)

#5 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:05 PM

[spam]

oh god.. this again. yea, dont take a multivitamin.... [sleep]

anyone who understands anything about the proper use and function of vitamins understands why there has been so much negative press on vitamins lately...you have tests that use food grade vitamins, pay no attention to proper isomers & chirality... and a bunch of other things like that and people wonder why their tests on supplements do no good.

anyone who tells you a moderatly dosed PROPER multivitamin isnt going to benefit you is an IDIOT
  • like x 3

#6 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

It does really get to the point that you are making the same mistake as LifeMirage only in the other direction.

Fine stay as far away from the cutting edge as you wish, but it is really beyond the pale overall.

The news media will put out their weekly anti-vitamin propaganda and Opales will post each one.....sigh.

The article does point out that people treat supps as something to do while they eat a poor diet, which IS a bad idea. OK.

OTOH:

'The psyche of the U.S. population is that a nutraceutical can't be harmful and might be helpful, so why not take it?" says Dr. Klein. "That thinking is just not correct'

NB they are talking about nutraceuticals. Not vits or herbs (unless I'm misunderstanding). The reality is for most vits, and herbs (aside from a few well known ones--don't quote those few back at me) used in reasonable or customary doses they are very safe.

What percentage of the population takes chronic NSAIDS e.g. advil which is harsh on cartilage, your stomach and your kidneys. Chronic asprin use carries documented risk of damaging your kidneys. Compared to these risks you are talking phantoms.
  • like x 1

#7 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:48 PM

Funk wrote:

"Not at pharmacological doses 100x that which is possible to obtain from a glass of red wine. I wouldn't be so confident in its safety."

Did I say anything about doses much less huge doses? No, however it is a truism that too much of a good thing is no good at all. There have been studies done at 100 times what you get in a glass of wine and they showed good results, not bad results. Why is it you are so worried about the safety of this particular item?

"No one has taken pharmacological doses long-term yet."

What do you mean by long term? It has been tested. It's hard to argue with you about that too much because I was one of the ones saying why take 100 to 200 mg per day when people naturally got probably less than 1mg per day and had benefits? I am one to take small to moderate doses rather than megadoses which might be all the rage. But, as scott said, lets not lean over backwards in knocking supplements which may be of huge value. I think waiting for the FDA to establish an RDA for something is being way way too conservative. Jumping on every bandwagon or taking huge amounts of things shown to be good in small amounts, may be going too far in the other direction. A middle ground must be found. But, I love the early adopters because they are the canaries in the mine warning us if things go wrong.

#8 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:58 PM

"A lot of people are passionate about their vitamins. I don't know where they get it from, but it's not based on scientific evidence"

Bullshit.

#9 opales

• Topic Starter
  • 892 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:04 PM

[spam]

oh god.. this again. yea, dont take a multivitamin.... [sleep]

anyone who understands anything about the proper use and function of vitamins understands why there has been so much negative press on vitamins lately...you have tests that use food grade vitamins, pay no attention to proper isomers & chirality... and a bunch of other things like that and people wonder why their tests on supplements do no good.

anyone who tells you a moderatly dosed PROPER multivitamin isnt going to benefit you is an IDIOT

You maybe right about suppemental vitamins being helpful, but there is actually fairly little data supporting that, so I think it is pretty arrogant to claim that anyone not understading the benefits of supplemental vitamins is an idiot. The article covered the research fairly well, that is pretty much what we know at the moment.

I think a low dose multi is a reasonable "insurance" especially to the few subgroups (old people, childbearing women) mentioned in the article but for others it does become a little harder to justify. to be perfectly honest, the ImmInst demographic is the least likely group to actually benefit from a multi (<50, not pregnant or childbearing women, not smoking or drinking heavily and even eating mostly balanced diet,). there are few vegans or vegetarians here from whom some vits are also fairly good insurance.

It may be that it is the proper isomers & chirality or whatever are the reasons why vitamin supplementation trials fail OR it may not. What if it really is that extra antioxidants actually do more harm than good, say perhaps by messing up the the signalling systems that use ROS as a messenger, that is actually a fairly plausible theory explaining why antioxidant trials have many times had INCREASED mortalities? Your position is based on a convinient way to explain the frequently failing supplemental vitamin trials but really, you just DO NOT have DATA backing your claim. Even if it were because the reasons you mention etc., how can you know we have got it right this time around? I'd say by your assertion the last thirty years of vitamin advices were pretty useless (harmful?), given that few realized the importance of isomers or chirality, but now you are certain some products have it right (but really cannot prove it because there actually aren't any trials).

If it makes anyone feel any better, I take a 50% Ortho-Core daily. I consider it fairly low risk with possible upsides if I happen to belong to an unlucky subgroup (poor digestion due genetics) within my demography. I really don't think my chance of benefitting at this time is very high, I view it as low-risk gamble.
  • like x 1

#10 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

The key is deciding what level of proof one is willing to accept as reasonable to try things, and the contortions you have to go to to postulate potential harm are....well in the case of folic acid, laughable.

There is a vitamin C article here:

http://www.mindandmu...35&artID=999430

and I'm basically wasting my time so I'll quit.

#11 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:39 AM

As scottl said, it's really up to us to weight up the risk vs. benefits scenario. Some people will take the chance and risk with results from early studies and some, like my mother and opales, will be super cautious until a million studies say its ok.

No offence opales I am only joking around [tung] . I understand and respect your views.

Xanadu,

Yes, you are very anti supplement and even a bit anti vitamin. However, I can't disagree with this part: "Be careful until the data is in." That's the way I look at things too. There are many new supplements coming out and getting hyped. I intend to let the early adopters be the guinnea pigs for ampekines, stabolol and other new gee-whiz goodies. About the only new thing I'm trying is resveratrol since it's not really new at all and has been field tested for millenia in natural sources. That's about the extent of my experimenting on new things. I'll stick with piracetam, choline, vinpocetine and a few others plus my vitamins.

Do you know how resveratrol works? Pharmacokinetics?

I don't think anyone does yet but you are willing to try it. This contradicts your above statement.

Seriously folks, the sciencific data will never be in. There is always going to be counter arguements and inconclusive results. There aren't too many supps on the market that can be fully validated by science. Somethings will never be validated by science.

Caveat Emptor

#12 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:40 AM

You maybe right about suppemental vitamins being helpful, but there is actually fairly little data supporting that

not enough evidence that you would start a thread questioning their efficacy.

but enough evidence that you would ingest them on a daily basis...

[wis]

It may be that it is the proper isomers & chirality or whatever are the reasons why vitamin supplementation trials fail OR it may not.

it IS the reason in most cases... perfect example are the recent studies on vitamin E, pro-A, and glucosamine... all of which came back with negative results due to the fact that the studies did not pay attention to proper isomers & chirality.

flood people with synthetic alpha tocopherol and they die sooner... big surprise there.

What if it really is that extra antioxidants actually do more harm than good, say perhaps by messing up the the signalling systems that use ROS as a messenger, that is actually a fairly plausible theory explaining why antioxidant trials have many times had INCREASED mortalities?

you should probably stop eating food if you believe that. what studies showed that antioxidents increase mortality (besides the e/a ones which were obviously flawed)?

Your position is based on a convinient way to explain the frequently failing supplemental vitamin trials but really, you just DO NOT have DATA backing your claim.

common sense picks up where infant science leaves off...

again using vitamin E as an example.... nature makes 8 isomers... always together, always in a balance. scientists isolate 1 isomer, produce it synthetically, and apply it in huge doses ... and people die.

BIG SURPRISE THERE

if that is what you consider good science... then i just dont know.

given that few realized the importance of isomers or chirality, but now you are certain some products have it right (but really cannot prove it because there actually aren't any trials).

the PARAMOUNT importance of isomers and chirality...you dont need clinical trials to prove it, nature already has.

If it makes anyone feel any better, I take a 50% Ortho-Core daily.

its disgustingly hipocritical that you would make a thread like this, then go knock back ortho-core... which contains a mirade of substances which from your point of view contain 'no evidence' as to their efficacy.

you are just trying to cause trouble man... just like scott said, lifemirage but in the oposite direction.

#13 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:20 AM

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 opales

• Topic Starter
  • 892 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:07 PM

Ok, if one thing is most certainly right in that article is that people are passionate about their vitamins as evidenced here. anyway, I posted that article because it had good pointers, a decent review of the science, unfortunately (my own fault) it was interpreted as me claiming there can be no benefit from vitamins period. let's go back to civilised intelligent discussion mode, ok? so..

not enough evidence that you would start a thread questioning their efficacy.

but enough evidence that you would ingest them on a daily basis...

[wis]

I said I view them as low-risk gamble, but not expecting much benefit but even less harm (as I consider my dosing reasonable). Correcting deficiencies definately helps, I am not just sure how widespread deficiencies are especially in my demography but I still take it as a little insurance. That might change. Despite you claims, the vitamin efficacy-safety debate is far from settled, with the overall pretty poor track record they have, especially in terms of efficacy. I'd say pretty much everytime they have worked it is because of deficiency, not a dose-response or anything like.

it IS the reason in most cases... perfect example are the recent studies on vitamin E, pro-A, and glucosamine... all of which came back with negative results due to the fact that the studies did not pay attention to proper isomers & chirality.

flood people with synthetic alpha tocopherol and they die sooner... big surprise there.

What I expressed poorly is that I actually do consider what you are saying being plausible explanation to the pretty much frequent failings of supplemental vitamin & mineral trials. There is some initial mechanistic evidence for, say, gamma-tocopherol also being important. However, I think it is pretty dogmatic to assume that OBVIOUSLY the null results are explained by not providing proper forms of vitamins when you actually have virtually no trials actually showing that the supplemental forms of vitamins in their proper forms still makes a difference one way or another.

What if it really is that extra antioxidants actually do more harm than good, say perhaps by messing up the the signalling systems that use ROS as a messenger, that is actually a fairly plausible theory explaining why antioxidant trials have many times had INCREASED mortalities?

you should probably stop eating food if you believe that. what studies showed that antioxidents increase mortality (besides the e/a ones which were obviously flawed)?

Again you assume that it was the poor forms of vitamins which were the cause but you actually have fairly little data on that, although it is possible.

Anyway something that comes to mind was the BMJ 1999 review of three vitamin C RCTs that showed an overall increased 8%mortality (did not see any mentioning of that in the article you provided scottl?).
http://www.pubmedcen...bmedid=10463913

To be perfectly honest, I don't think there sure ain't compelling evidence of dangers of antioxidants but there sure ain't evidence of their efficacy either.

However, while I certainly should not stop eating antioxidants, there is evidence of what amounts of dietary antioxidants one should consume and they are called the DRIs, which actually have fairly strong scientific backing behind them, believe or not. I think previously antioxidants were assumed harmless at worst. However, if you get over the simplistic version Harman free radical theory of aging, the question whether excess of exogenous antioxidants might actually do more harm than good becomes a relevant one, as there *might* be some clinical indication of it also. I'l quote a message by trh001 on the CRsociety list today:

....Bruce Ames addressed this important point decades ago.

I recall a late 80's lecture where he encouraged the audience to consider
the biological significance of oxidation-reduction reactions (REDOX) in the
body, as tightly controlled information flow, and exogenous antioxidants per
se, as not likely to be effective unless frank deficiency was present, or
some metabolic lesion unique to the individual was at issue.

I (and some others) are taking this thinking a little further and saying not only are the supps possibly useless, but actually forcefully flooding the body with them could actually mess up that valuabe ROS information flow.

Your position is based on a convinient way to explain the frequently failing supplemental vitamin trials but really, you just DO NOT have DATA backing your claim.

common sense picks up where infant science leaves off...

again using vitamin E as an example.... nature makes 8 isomers... always together, always in a balance. scientists isolate 1 isomer, produce it synthetically, and apply it in huge doses ... and people die.

BIG SURPRISE THERE

if that is what you consider good science... then i just dont know.

the PARAMOUNT importance of isomers and chirality...you dont need clinical trials to prove it, nature already has.

You don't need clinical trials to prove because nature has? Oh, come one, that is a pretty lame argument.

I don't think it is as simple as you make it sound. Always in balance, you are aware that the ratios of alpha-tocopherols to gamma tocopherols wary drastically accross plant sources?:

http://www.scienceda...60303110923.htm

two most common forms of vitamin E –– one [gamma] is found primarily in plants like corn and soybeans, while the other [alpha] is found in olive oil, almonds, sunflower seeds and mustard greens – affect the health of animal cells. The main difference between the two forms is a slight variation in their chemical structures.

http://www.scienceda...41219211237.htm

Scientists have been studying vitamin E for more than three-quarters of a century, but most efforts have focused largely on alpha-tocopherol, one of eight known forms in the vitamin's family. Alpha-tocopherol was found early on to have the most beneficial effects on laboratory animals fed diets deficient in vitamin E, and also is the major form found in body tissues. For these reasons, it has been nearly the only form of the vitamin to be included in most manufactured nutritional supplements.

The latter article is pro-multipe tocopherols BTW.

Regarding the first article, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that while gamma-tocopherol is the most common version in American diet, yet it is not so in the European diet.

If it makes anyone feel any better, I take a 50% Ortho-Core daily.

its disgustingly hipocritical that you would make a thread like this, then go knock back ortho-core... which contains a mirade of substances which from your point of view contain 'no evidence' as to their efficacy.

Well again, the reason I take Ortho-Core is because, partly, there is some preliminary evidence (but not in form of actual trials) for what you consider ubiqutuosly obvious fact and what I consider a decent hypothesis (isomers etc.), but mostly because of other reasons (ie. amount of vitamin Bs are not completely random) that I believe make Ortho-Core the smallest chance of harmful effects compared to many other vitamins. Also the spending is light so I'm still left with the 80bucks a month to make my 300 contribution.

Just because I take does not mean I can't be critical about it, don't make it so black and white. However, I do think the amounts of vitamin C and E are pretty high on Ortho-Core which I have previously ignored but given recent non/negative results and I would perhaps like a justification for it.

And speaking of which, could someone explain the theory behind Network Synergy? What is AOR's stance on The Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academy of Sciences refuting benefits from antioxidants? Does AOR have a opinion about worries that messing up with ROS signalling through too much endogenous antioxidants might be more harmful than helpful?

you are just trying to cause trouble man... just like scott said, lifemirage but in the oposite direction.

Don't get so worked upped about this. I really don't think my cautions are unreasonable, even if they turned out wrong. What you guys term "being in the cutting edge" is the contemporary term for what often later turns out "wasting money on useless/harmful supps".

I just would like my evidence for buying supplements and ingesting them a little more grounded in data instead of relying to, say, the oft used "Big Pharma is evil", "it's natural so it must be good" or whatever simplistic explanation that may have flown in the past.

My gut feeling is that A LOT from positive vitamins results are from observational studies, however, such results are not necessarily very reliable as vitamin consumption tends to correlate with every imaginable healthy habit so controlling for independent variables becomes difficult. The RCTs OTOH, have been mostly disappointments.

#15 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

Don't get so worked upped about this. I really don't think my cautions are unreasonable, even if they turned out wrong. What you guys term "being in the cutting edge" is the contemporary term for what often later turns out "wasting money on useless/harmful supps".

I just would like my evidence for buying supplements and ingesting them a little more grounded in data instead of relying to, say, the oft used "Big Pharma is evil", "it's natural so it must be good" or whatever simplistic explanation that may have flown in the past.

My gut feeling is that A LOT from positive vitamins results are from observational studies, however, such results are not necessarily very reliable as vitamin consumption tends to correlate with every imaginable healthy habit so controlling for independent variables becomes difficult. The RCTs OTOH, have been mostly disappointments.

I wouldn't characterize opales as anti-vitamins or anti-supplements. He's really anti-anything-without-adequate-scientific-basis. Its a conservative perspective but a sensible one and basically what you would expect from a professional researcher. Personally, I'm glad he's around to do some critical thinking and provide the anti-hype counterpoint that is so often missing in this community.

Although, you have to admit, posting this WSJ article did kind of look like an attempt to "stir up the pot". [tung]

#16 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:33 PM

Opales,... who has time to read all that?

I don't.

Can't imagine you have the time to write it...
  • dislike x 1

#17 opales

• Topic Starter
  • 892 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:27 PM

I wouldn't characterize opales as anti-vitamins or anti-supplements.  He's really anti-anything-without-adequate-scientific-basis.  Its a conservative perspective but a sensible one and basically what you would expect from a professional researcher.  Personally, I'm glad he's around to do some critical thinking and provide the anti-hype counterpoint that is so often missing in this community.

Although, you have to admit, posting this WSJ article did kind of look like an attempt to "stir up the pot".  [tung]

Thanks Funk, you're characterization hit right on the money. However, while I always thrive for a rigorous scientific agenda, I must admit I am at my most "conservative" mode when it comes to the life-extension lifestyle and especially substances related to them. That is because those are the few places you don't want to take risks. What I mean is that upsides of even the greatest current supplement regimes are actually pretty lame after you have ok diet and do exercise etc., as to gain decent amount of life-extension you would pretty much have to decelarate ALL the processes that eventually kill us. However, to shorten ones life-span, accelerating even just one might suffice, not even mentioning of dying of some stupid unforseen multisubstance contradiction.

Has anyone ever considered that being in the "supplemental" front-line might not be the best strategy, just because those in the front-line are the ones taking the unforeseen hits? That maybe coming few feet behind would actually be a smarter strategy as to avoiding the worst "catastrophes"? I bring this up because I think there is a tendency with people exposed to life-extension meme to gradually take more and more experimental substances which have less and less evidence. It's just hard to contain oneself when new research keeps coming in *so slowly*. That is an additional reason why I think occasional back to basics reviews are useful, to keep the mind preoccupied while waiting for the slow research machinery to produce new exciting results.

Edited by opales, 10 April 2006 - 08:43 PM.

• like x 1

#18 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:04 PM

zoolander wrote:

"Do you know how resveratrol works? Pharmacokinetics?
I don't think anyone does yet but you are willing to try it. This contradicts your above statement. "

I never said all the questions had to be answered or every last niggling doubt laid to rest before something should be tried. Obviously, there will always be some doubt and some possible side effects to anything, even moderate doses of vit C. You are using a form of straw man argument which is common on this board. I simply said I agreed with "Be careful until the data is in." Not implying that I would wait until the FDA told me to take some. As others have said, it's a risk vs benefit ratio that we work with. Some are very afraid and will not try anything. Others will try anything with a bit of good press behind it or even just an anecdotal experience. Consider this, not trying something with years of testing and good results behind it means you are taking the risk of missing out on a great health benefit. It's up to each of us to decide if the risk of taking something, such as ortho core, is greater than the risk of not taking it.

Resveratrol has been part of the human diet for many thousands of years and indications are that it is very good for the person. Megadoses may not be good, we don't know yet. The testing that has been done indicates it's something not to miss out on. I'm not going to try to rehash all the evidence that has already been presented but it has been shown to have many health advantages. If opales dies young, it will be a tiny bit of anecdotal evidence that being too conservative may not be good for your health. If I live well past 100, it will be likewise a tiny bit of evidence that my approach is a good one.

#19 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:38 AM

Thanks Funk, you're characterization hit right on the money. However, while I always thrive for a rigorous scientific agenda, I must admit I am at my most "conservative" mode when it comes to the life-extension lifestyle and especially substances related to them. That is because those are the few places you don't want to take risks. What I mean is that upsides of even the greatest current supplement regimes are actually pretty lame after you have ok diet and do exercise etc., as to gain decent amount of life-extension you would pretty much have to decelarate ALL the processes that eventually kill us. However, to shorten ones life-span, accelerating even just one might suffice, not even mentioning of dying of some stupid unforseen multisubstance contradiction.

Has anyone ever considered that being in the "supplemental" front-line might not be the best strategy, just because those in the front-line are the ones taking the unforeseen hits? That maybe coming few feet behind would actually be a smarter strategy as to avoiding the worst "catastrophes"? I bring this up because I think there is a tendency with people exposed to life-extension meme to gradually take more and more experimental substances which have less and less evidence. It's just hard to contain oneself when new research keeps coming in *so slowly*. That is an additional reason why I think occasional back to basics reviews are useful, to keep the mind preoccupied while waiting for the slow research machinery to produce new exciting results.

1. "I bring this up because I think there is a tendency with people exposed to life-extension meme to gradually take more and more experimental substances which have less and less evidence. "

This is a good point because it freaks me out seeing people discuss obtaining some stuff still in phase I trials for purchase/use. Though it depends what.

2. 'Has anyone ever considered that being in the "supplemental" front-line might not be the best strategy, just because those in the front-line are the ones taking the unforeseen hits? That maybe coming few feet behind would actually be a smarter strategy as to avoiding the worst "catastrophes"?'

OK which is more likely to wreak havoc in someone's system some random supp or the first few iterations on e.g. SENSE (stick on any intervention you care to). I'm 46, more interested in supps as in promoting health (perhaps the tern is squaring something or other) and I have few illusions about them extending my lifespan. We clearly have different levels of risk which are acceptable.

Given OPales risk averseness (not necess a bad thing) I hope he is young enough that whatever interventions arise he is around for 3.0 (as an aside can anyone imagine e.g. SENSE by microsoft).

#20 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:03 AM

This could either be used pro or con supplement usage.

Pro: we do now know that there are different isomers, so we can take all of them if we want to supplement vit. E.
Con: well, are we really sure that there are only 8? Maybe tomorrow someone discovers a 9th one that is essential in making the mix positively effective.

I would conclude that our knowledge is still increasing. As far as vit. E is concerned, we may know about 60% there could be known about it? (just a wild guess). The vit. E of 15 years ago is the ALCAR/ALA "dilemma" of today however. Just to name one example.

And on this I can only speak for myself, I indeed want supplements to be working. Wouldn’t that be great? Just take a non-prescription pill, laugh your old-fashioned doctor away when you tell him that you've cured yourself or will never get ill in the first place? This is partly possible and partly BS, depending on what the substances are that you take and what you are planning to achieve. Thus how knowledgeable you are. And how strong advertising is influencing you. And.... and.....

#21 stellar

• 366 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

Prominent Nutritionist Says Wall Street Journal Wrong on Vitamins

PR Newswire

04-13-06

BLOOMINGDALE, Ill., April 12, 2006 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- "The Case Against Vitamins, an article by the Wall Street Journal which originally ran on March 20, 2006 and is being widely reprinted, should be thrown out of court," says Neil Levin, a Chicago-area Certified Clinical Nutritionist. "The danger here is that a reporter who is neither a nutritionist nor a doctor may dissuade people from utilizing products which can help them maintain their health. And that is harmful."

There is an understandable tendency for the media to embrace controversial stories in an environment where a single study is touted as negating all other studies, even though rogue studies are usually deeply flawed. The "several studies" cited in this report have been seriously criticized by experts without their rebuttals resulting in any real effort to set the record straight, Levin points out.

Provocative reports get wide coverage, but not the subsequent, legitimate criticism of the studies. This leads to public confusion about supplements and fuels a growing mistrust of the reliability of media reports on all nutrition topics. Levin says that dietary supplements are singled out as being harmful or useless, or both at once, when these accusations are often not supported by good data.

"This WSJ article singled out beta-carotene as promoting cancer, mentioning a study on Finnish smokers. Yet that study's data was recently reanalyzed, with researchers looking instead at total antioxidant intake. They discovered that low antioxidant intake was the real culprit in that original cancer study, not beta-carotene supplementation," Levin said.

The article reported that antioxidants may "promote some cancer and interfere with treatments." The peer-reviewed journal CA from the American Cancer Society published (online) Levin's analysis documenting dozens of studies proving that specific vitamins and antioxidants actually enhanced medical cancer therapies.

Many negative studies state that their results are not applicable to populations other than the ones studied, yet get wide press coverage positioned as being universally definitive. And evidence that the researchers and the WSJ admit is "inconclusive" is still publicized as an argument against taking Vitamin E, which Levin stresses is a safe and effective nutritional supplement.

"The Vitamin E controversy should have been cleared up after the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition did a far more thorough review than the handful of studies used in the Annals of Internal Medicine review article," Levin says. "Annals has, to its credit, published dozens of critical comments from physicians and scientists, including mine. The vastly more authoritative AJCN report, "Vitamins E and C Are Safe Across A Broad Range Of Intakes", determined that the Annals data indicated problems only in doses over 2,000 IU; not the 400 IU widely reported. The Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine has set the safe, upper tolerable intake level for vitamin E at 1,500 IU daily. Research shows that Vitamin E may be useful for people suffering from Parkinson's, macular degeneration, cataracts, cancer and mercury toxicity. The substantial body of evidence supporting supplements may not sell papers the way controversial studies do, but it is weighty."

Reports that 'B-Vitamins don't lower risk for heart attacks' miss the point entirely, according to Levin. Vitamins do lower levels of homocysteine, an inflammatory substance, and reduce the number of non-fatal strokes. Homocysteine as a theoretical cause of heart disease is being challenged, but the B-Vitamins performed exactly as predicted.

The well-respected Lewin Group has published reports showing that proper use of supplementation can save billions of dollars in health care costs while reducing pain and suffering. There are FDA-approved health claims for vitamins and minerals supported by solid scientific claims. The total body of evidence supports benefits of dietary supplementation. The risk of being hurt by a vitamin is so low as to be unquantifiable, far less than the risk from contracting a food borne illness or from taking a pharmaceutical or OTC product like acetaminophen. "That's the real truth about vitamins," Levin concludes.

Neil Levin, CCN, DANLA, is nutrition education manager at Bloomingdale, Illinois based NOW Foods, Inc. and works to dispel inaccurate health information.

#22 opales

• Topic Starter
  • 892 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:45 AM

Interesting commentary, obviously by scientifically aware individual, but I do have doubts how impartial he is. After all, he is working for NOW. A couple of things:

The new analysis on Finnish (that's us) male smokers investigated DIETARY antioxidants, not supplemental which have been constantly failing. Just because DIETARY antioxidants explain some part of the cancer incidency, does not mean that the supplemental beta-carotene did not increase cancer as he claims. I don't have access to the paper but I do assume that as the trial was randomized, the dietary antioxidant intake was similar in both treatment and control groups. And again regarding beta-carotene vs. carotenoids (or tocopherols or whatever), my point has been that we don't know if having complete carotenoids is still enough or are there actually even MORE substance in food that matter. For example in sesame, substances other than vitamins or just tocopherols themselves effect the actual plasma level of the vitamin E's.

Also, I think Levin's comment on the homocysteine B study is bit misleading. Vitamin B's are specifically believed to be helpful in heart patients BECAUSE of homocysteine and not the other way around. Now, put on RCT, they do lower hower homocysteine as expected and STILL don't reduce recurrent events, it sure as hell means something for B vitamins too and not just to the homocysteine hypothesis. He eagerly mentions the (non-significant) decrease in strokes yet fails to mention the increase in myocardial infarctions or the increased hospitalizations from angina.

Re:risk-reward calculations, I am most certainly not against well calculated risk taking. However, even though that's how some people want to portray it, in my view the case here is not mere different weights on risk, but rather, plain fudging of the existing evidence to some wildly optimistic scenario which make the risk-benefit calculations flawed.

As an example that vitamin C article ScottL provided (I assume it reflects his expectations on the "benefit" side). Not going to the other parts, the one part most meaningful to us cited one admittedly promising cohort study that showed drastically decreased incidence of deaths from heart disease in vitamin C takers. I went AHA pages to check their stance on C and found this article that examines the evidence for antioxidant supplementation (including C) for heart diseases based on RCTs. Conclusion is of course the RCT evidence for antioxidants and heart disease is very inconclusive.

(good paper to read BTW, recommend it to everyone, check especially the tables)
http://circ.ahajourn.../full/110/5/637

Well again, I do have to say that if one stays within the tolerable intake limits from ALL sources, taking a multi or any other vitamin is unlikely(but not impossible) to cause harm, so in that sense the article was a bit sensationalistic.:
http://www.iom.edu/O...er/21/372/0.pdf
http://www.nal.usda....ext/000105.html

PS:ScottL, please stop with frequent misleading dramatization about me "going through extreme legths to find dirt on folic acid", it's a bit annoying. First, as I have repeatedly pointed, it was a mere illustration of the pricinple, don't get stuck on it. Second, "the great lengths" was clicking the link which YOU provided me on a prior post and look the subtitle Cautions (or similar, don't remember) under the folic acid article. The way you portray it, it sounds like I had to climb to Mt. Everest without extra oxygen.

#23 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:06 PM

"PS:ScottL, please stop with frequent misleading dramatization about me "going through extreme legths to find dirt on folic acid", it's a bit annoying. First, as I have repeatedly pointed, it was a mere illustration of the pricinple, don't get stuck on it. Second, "the great lengths" was clicking the link which YOU provided me on a prior post and look the subtitle Cautions (or similar, don't remember) under the folic acid article. The way you portray it, it sounds like I had to climb to Mt. Everest without extra oxygen. "

My bad on the wording. I did not mean you had to put in lots of energy (the weekly unbaised media provides sufficient disinformation on a regular basis). I meant one of your basic points:

"You are IMO working under the (faulty) assumption that supplements are inherently somehow very safe and that no adverse events could occur from ingestion of such substances."

is very off based at least for basic vitamins and minerals in the amounts found in virtually any multiple or used by virtually anyone on this board. For the overwelming vast majority >>99% unless one does something stupid they are not going to have any significant problems with basic supps. More people will be scared out of supplementation and udnergo harm due to your words then would ever have problems with most supps.

NB: there was a lot of publicity on deaths from hyponatremia at some running event due to drinking too much water. So water does not pass the:

"very safe and that no adverse events"

seriously. Yes I am exaggerating, but your points are so far out of the clinically relevant for most people (or based on theoretical possibilities).

#24 Invariant

• 176 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:21 PM

Hello Imminst community! This is my first post here. I have been lurking the forums for a little over 2 weeks now.

Today I came across a very interesting article about vitamin supplements being linked to increased mortality rates. Mainly vitamin A and E are linked to increased mortality rates. From googling I also found that vitamin D is usually associated with increased life expectancy. From the article:

When the different antioxidants were assessed separately, trials with a low risk of bias were included and selenium excluded, vitamin A was linked to a 16 per cent increased risk of dying prematurely, beta-carotene to a 7 per cent increased risk and vitamin E to a 4 per cent increased risk. However, there was no significant detrimental effect caused by vitamin C.

source: http://www.timesonli...icle3754205.ece
or search google for vitamin supplements mortality rate.

This came to me as a big surprise. I've been taking multivitamin supplements for a about 3 years now. What do you think? Is the evidence conclusive? Should I stop taking multivitamin? Is there any difference between sources of vitamin? Specifically: different manufacturers, production processes (chemical synthesis versus plant extracts), supplements versus fruit/vegetables that could cause the increased mortality rates?

The questions above touch on the root cause for these findings. Is excess vitamin bad for us or is it the contamminated/non-organic pills that are bad for us?

As a final question I'd like to know if there is any newbie material on supplements for longevity, energy, immu system, and cognitive function. Like a single page that explains the basics. I don't mind wading through 100's of abstracts and distilling (from many conflicting findings) an idea about what to take and what not to take, but I'd rather get all the basic info at once if it is available in such a form.

#25 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:25 AM

Another recent discussion about potential downsides of over doing it on anti-oxidants.

Older discussion about the same subject.

#26 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:23 AM

Another recent discussion about potential downsides of over doing it on anti-oxidants.

Older discussion about the same subject.

With all this negative research why do you suppose people keep mega-dosing?

#27 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:07 AM

I think most of the research is flawed, or possibly sponsored
by drug companies for obvious reasons.

Simple logic will tell us tell that practising life extension,
especially taking at least moderate dosages of cutting-edge
supplements, is a sure-win situation.

If you just sit down and don't do anything like the rest of the
population, you are going to live an average lifespan like them.

if you practise life extension and it doesn't work in the end,
you would still live to the usual 70 - 80. If it does, then
you've got everything to gain and chances are you will
live at least 10 - 20 years longer, moreover with fewer
and/or less debilitating degenerative diseases.

Lex's protocol speaks for itself. Note that his dosages were
moderate to relatively high, but included cutting-edge ones
like PBN and Deprenyl, which were very likely the diffentiating
factors. I don't believe this dog was made to practise caloric
restriction by Ronald Klatz.

http://www.worldheal..._program_of_lex

Edited by tham, 05 November 2008 - 09:19 AM.

#28 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:11 PM

I think most of the research is flawed, or possibly sponsored
by drug companies for obvious reasons.

http://www.worldheal..._program_of_lex

I read in my health text that drug companies are thinking about manufacturing supplements themselves now that the supplement market is a billion dollar industry (65% of Americans buy supplements). I doubt they would want to damage the reputation of supplements if they want to start producing it themselves.

#29 aikikai

• 251 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:53 PM

I just wonder - how can supplements shorten life span when there are thousands of scientific papers supporting that supplements can decrease mortality? Just look at Omega-3 fish oil.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:09 PM

I just wonder - how can supplements shorten life span when there are thousands of scientific papers supporting that supplements can decrease mortality? Just look at Omega-3 fish oil.

Because flawed studies use high amounts of alpha-tocopherol without anything else, maybe even in old high-risk patients.
alpha-tocopherol decreases the other tocopherols, taking it alone IS bad, and may increase mortality for sick people.
Same with beta carotene for smokers, and perhaps even with supplementing a bad diet with only vitamin C in isolation.

Also, hasn't been done yet, but try taking ALCAR without ALA, or high-dose ALA without any biotin supplement to get a really great flawed study...

Summary: None of the negative studies I've seen have studied a comprehensive multivitamin with all forms of Vitamin E on healthy adults.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multivitamins, iron, vitamins, risk, aging, death, free radicals, ageing, theory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users