• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

I'm interested to hear about experiences using nootropics to heal/compensate for concussion/TBI/ABI-related cognitive is

concussion tbi mtbi pcs post-concussion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Puppeteer

• 127 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

Has anyone had any success treating these injuries and related lasting cognitive difficulties with nootropic/diet/exercise stacks at all? Especially interested in hearing about treatment years after suffering the injury.

Thanks!

#2 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

I read about progesterone but have no experience.
http://www.nature.co...ps2013160a.html

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Nemo888

• 214 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

Most are junk and are nothing but placebo.

The only things that I feel have definitely helped with my TBI are human growth hormone and thymosin beta 4. The brain is not easy to heal and I have still not found anything to help with the slight but lasting memory deficits. HGH improved my deep sleep, stopped my cycles of bradycardia and tachycardia and let me get rest to heal. TB4 allowed me to have some REM sleep and dream again. I was taking TB4 in hopes of improving my memory. It had no effect on that, but by day 24 I started dreaming again which I hadn't in 7 years. Between being able to do into deep sleep and dreaming my so called PTSD disappeared. I take melatonin occasionally as well and I am having an oxytocin(posterior pitutary hormone) nasal spray compounded for the hypervigilance and other PTSD like symptoms. If it doesn't get compounded soon there may be no point as my brain stem seems to be healing now. Can you get the premade spray in the USA yet?

I had additional injuries that were much easier to heal. Diet and exercise were extremely important to that healing process. Broken lumbar vertebrae are a breeze to heal compared to an injured brain.

#4 Ampamet

• Validating/Suspended
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:13 AM

From personal experience the best treatments are plenty of sleep, a healthy diet, and exercise when possible. I found piracetam to help with dizziness and cognitive difficulties, and I took fish oil to help repair neuronal damage. 

More exotic treatments do have merit, but I don't think their effects on post-concussive brain damage are studied well enough to say definitively. 

Edited by Ampamet, 11 May 2014 - 12:14 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Nemo888

• 214 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:55 AM

There are some good studies at the DCOE. Google DCOE Ned and TBI. The treatments are very political as one of the docs called it. 15 to 20k per year is more than the VA is willing to pay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: concussion, tbi, mtbi, pcs, post-concussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users