• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Copenhagen Study: High-Dose NR Does Not Improve Insulin Sensitivity, Shows Potential for Fatty Liver

nad+ nad brenner copenhagen fatty liver niagen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
79 replies to this topic

#1 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:52 PM

Charles Brenner told Dr. Drew that the Copenhagen trial of 40 obese men showed that over 12 weeks fat in the liver dropped 10% from 11% to 9.8% among those who took 2000 mg of NR a day. Weight loss was not noticed. 

podcast #333

http://drdrew.com/pl...r-drew-podcast/

• Informative x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • dislike x 1

#2 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:55 PM

Dr. Brenner leaked the results of a clinical trial in this podcast.  NR reduced lipid content in the liver from 11% to 9.8% in 12 weeks. That is a reduction of 47% in one year.

http://drdrew.com/pl...r-drew-podcast/

This is the clinical trial.

https://clinicaltria...riboside&draw=2

• Ill informed x 4
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • dislike x 1

#3 LawrenceW

• 402 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:11 PM

No Mike, that is a reduction of 11% over a 12 week period. You don't know if the decline continues at the same rate past the 12 weeks, or if it levels off, or if a homeostatic feedback loop kicks in and it increases.  For you to extrapolate to a reduction of 47% in one year is simply irresponsible.

• Agree x 3
  • Good Point x 3
  • like x 1
  • Informative x 1

#4 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:44 PM

No Mike, that is a reduction of 11% over a 12 week period. You don't know if the decline continues at the same rate past the 12 weeks, or if it levels off, or if a homeostatic feedback loop kicks in and it increases. For you to extrapolate to a reduction of 47% in one year is simply irresponsible.

Nothing is quaranteed.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • dislike x 1

#5 bluemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:13 PM

Nothing is quaranteed.

Right. Fat in the liver could drop 141% in three years.

• Cheerful x 1

#6 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:29 PM

Right. Fat in the liver could drop 141% in three years.

Nobody is stupid enough to think like that.
  • Ill informed x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • dislike x 1

#7 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:32 PM

Nobody is stupid enough to think like that.

must resist urge.....

seriously though MIke in the OP you did in fact make a mistake, best to just admit it and move on

having said that, very interesting study and thanks for posting 

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#8 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:52 PM

Fourth Published Clinical Trial Confirms Long-Term Safety of NIAGEN® Supplementation at High Doses and Shows Potential for Improvement in Liver Health

https://finance.yaho...ote/CDXC?p=CDXC

#9 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:55 PM

Finally published.  2 grams a day is safe and free from side effects.

2% absolute drop in liver fat (10% of the total liver fat).

Chromadex stock went up yesterday and today, so they must like something, but seems quite underwhelming to me. 

A randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial of nicotinamide riboside in obese men: safety, insulin-sensitivity, and lipid-mobilizing effects

#10 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:57 PM

Good to see is safe at 2 grams a day, but otherwise seems underwhelming to me.  Surprised that Chromadex stock went up yesterday and today, seemingly in response to this.  I expected/hoped for so much more.

Results

Insulin sensitivity, endogenous glucose production, and glucose disposal and oxidation were not improved by NR supplementation. Similarly, NR supplementation had no effect on resting energy expenditure, lipolysis, oxidation of lipids, or body composition. No serious adverse events due to NR supplementation were observed and safety blood tests were normal.

Conclusion

12 wk of NR supplementation in doses of 2000 mg/d appears safe, but does not improve insulin sensitivity and whole-body glucose metabolism in obese, insulin-resistant men.

A randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial of nicotinamide riboside in obese men: safety, insulin-sensitivity, and lipid-mobilizing effects

Edited by able, 11 July 2018 - 03:01 PM.

• Agree x 1

#11 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

Stefan posted this same study before mine went thru, so please delete this one

#12 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:14 PM

Small-scale, short duration, extreme dosage but yes, the results look tame.

#13 bluemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:47 PM

The Copenhagen study conclusion:

Conclusion

12 wk of NR supplementation in doses of 2000 mg/d appears safe, but does not improve insulin sensitivity and whole-body glucose metabolism in obese, insulin-resistant men.

#14 bluemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:18 PM

2% absolute drop in liver fat (10% of the total liver fat). 

Where did you see the 10% figure? Charles Brenner said those with 5% or greater fat by volume in the liver were in the study. I think the result is pretty impressive, a 20% to 40% decrease in fat assuming 5% to 10% fatty liver participated in the trial, but would like to see 250 mg and 500 mg tested for fatty liver as well.  

I get the sense that NR won't be widely used by healthy people but maybe cognitive function results will be good so expand the number of those over 60 who take it.

#15 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:31 PM

Where did you see the 10% figure? Charles Brenner said those with 5% or greater fat by volume in the liver were in the study. I think the result is pretty impressive, a 20% to 40% decrease in fat assuming 5% to 10% fatty liver participated in the trial, but would like to see 250 mg and 500 mg tested for fatty liver as well.  

I get the sense that NR won't be widely used by healthy people but maybe cognitive function results will be good so expand the number of those over 60 who take it.

Right.  Looking at just those with fatty liver shows greater response.

Overall, I see the study quotes an 18% relative drop:

"Assessed by MR spectroscopy, we observed an absolute reduction in the HLC of 2% (relative reduction 18%) in the NR supplemented group"

Useful, but a far cry from the results in mice.  

These are all obese men, with high blood sugar levels and insulin resistance.  Surprised it didn't help that at all.

• Agree x 1

#16 Gingerbread Man

• 56 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:50 PM

These are all obese men, with high blood sugar levels and insulin resistance.  Surprised it didn't help that at all.

I didn't see the high sugar levels mentioned in the report. Maybe once a detailed report comes out it will be more clear.

"Objective

The aim of this study was to test the safety of dietary NR supplementation over a 12-wk period and potential to improve insulin sensitivity and other metabolic parameters in obese, insulin-resistant men."

Design

In an investigator-initiated randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blinded, and parallel-group designed clinical trial, forty healthy, sedentary men with a body mass index (BMI) > 30 kg/m2, age-range 40–70 y were randomly assigned to 12 wk of NR (1000 mg twice daily) or placebo. We determined the effects of NR supplementation on insulin sensitivity by a hyperinsulinemic euglycemic clamp and substrate metabolism by indirect calorimetry and labeled substrates of tritiated glucose and palmitate. Body composition and fat mass distribution were determined by whole-body dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) and MRI scans, and measurements of intrahepatic lipid content were obtained by MR spectroscopy.

It would seem to me, if they really wanted to test insulin sensitivity, they should have included Type 2 diabetics in the study. If NR is working toward homeostasis as some may believe (me), it wouldn't necessarily show a change in a relatively healthy individual. In a diseased individual (Diabetes) it would show up relatively quickly or not at all compared to placebo (blood checks, medications changes etc...).

#17 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:14 PM

I think this is good news. NR is an "OVERALL" health supplement so pretty nice it helps liver too.

• Ill informed x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#18 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:46 PM

It is more effective than say choline in the treatment of fatty liver?
  • like x 1

#19 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:57 PM

I didn't see the high sugar levels mentioned in the report. Maybe once a detailed report comes out it will be more clear.

"forty healthy, sedentary men with a body mass index (BMI) > 30 kg/m2[/size], age-range 40–70 y were randomly assigned to 12 wk of NR (1000 mg twice daily) or placebo. ..."

It would seem to me, if they really wanted to test insulin sensitivity, they should have included Type 2 diabetics in the study. If NR is working toward homeostasis as some may believe (me), it wouldn't necessarily show a change in a relatively healthy individual. In a diseased individual (Diabetes) it would show up relatively quickly or not at all compared to placebo (blood checks, medications changes etc...).

Maybe they didn't specifically mention blood sugar levels - I didn't read it completely yet.

But table 3 shows blood glucose and HBA1c levels.  Both NR and Placebo group shows a slight, but not significant, INCREASE.

Edited by Michael, 23 September 2018 - 03:20 AM.
trim quotes; remove illegal website

• Agree x 1

#20 bluemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:08 PM

I think this is good news. NR is an "OVERALL" health supplement so pretty nice it helps liver too.

NR hasn't been shown to be an "overall" health supplement yet, whatever that means. So far we know from trials:

1) 250 mg of NR doesn't improve balance or walking speed but 500 mg of NR with 100 mg of pterostilbine might improve both by 7%.

2) 1000 mg of NR lowers blood pressure (systolic) by 10 points for those with hypertension. We don't know about 250 mg or 500 mg.

3) 1000 mg of NR may make arteries somewhat more flexible.

4) 2000 mg of NR lowers fat levels in those with fatty liver by 20%. We don't know about 250 mg or 500 mg.

5) NR doesn't affect insulin sensitivity in the obese.

Edited by bluemoon, 11 July 2018 - 06:09 PM.

• Well Written x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#21 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:18 PM

NR hasn't been shown to be an "overall" health supplement yet, whatever that means. So far we know from trials:

1) 250 mg of NR doesn't improve balance or walking speed but 500 mg of NR with 100 mg of pterostilbine might improve both by 7%.

2) 1000 mg of NR lowers blood pressure (systolic) by 10 points for those with hypertension. We don't know about 250 mg or 500 mg.

3) 1000 mg of NR may make arteries somewhat more flexible.

4) 2000 mg of NR lowers fat levels in those with fatty liver by 20%. We don't know about 250 mg or 500 mg.

5) NR doesn't affect insulin sensitivity in the obese.

Nice summary. Slight clarification for those that may copy/paste your list:

4) 2000 mg of NR lowers fat levels IN THE LIVER in those with fatty liver by 20%. We don't know about 250 mg or 500 mg.

Obviously, not 20% total body fat.

​Also, you don't list that it has no effect on blood sugar levels, although maybe that is implied in "doesn't affect insulin sensitivity"?

• Agree x 2

#22 Gingerbread Man

• 56 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:22 PM

Maybe they didn't specifically mention blood sugar levels - I didn't read it completely yet.

But table 3 shows blood glucose and HBA1c levels.  Both NR and Placebo group shows a slight, but not significant, INCREASE.  

http://sci-hub.tw/ht...edFrom=fulltext

The fact that NR and Placebo both showed a small increase tells me what I already figured. These are humans, they are in a trial but aren't being fed the same specific diet and undergoing the same physical activities. Some variation is to be expected. Both up a wee bit tells me it's probably a non factor over a 12 week period.

The A1C's are the same % wise.

#23 bluemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:56 PM

4) 2000 mg of NR lowers fat levels IN THE LIVER in those with fatty liver by 20%. We don't know about 250 mg or 500 mg.

​Also, you don't list that it has no effect on blood sugar levels, although maybe that is implied in "doesn't affect insulin sensitivity"?

I think most understood "fat" to be in the liver since the focus was on those with fatty liver. I assumed "doesn't affect insulin sensitivity" is the same as has no effect on sugar levels.

I've long suspected that NR would help those with metabolic health issues to an extent at 500 mg but that more significant benefits would come from a drug that might come out in 2019 or 2020 (what I thought in 2015) that would be based on NR and cost $3 to $5 a day.

If the cognitive function trials show more than slight improvements, that is, over 5% on tests, then many over 40 will likely be interested.

#24 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:02 PM

I think its very positive 2000g has no adverse effects, that opens the options for a whole lot more try outs e.g. heart failure.

For me NAD+ is a supplement that helps me stay healthy. I should be 30kg heavier to reach the same BMI as these folks - that means 40% extra weight = fat. While I do see NR as a super supplement I also believe there is a limit to what it can do. When you are too far out of normal range you probably need a lot more than only NR to get back to normal range.A much interesting study would be "exercise + NR" versus "exercise alone"

Edited by stefan_001, 11 July 2018 - 07:03 PM.

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#25 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:08 PM

What is interesting are the clearly higher levels of NAM and NAM metabolities in the urine. I would guess that means circulating NAM must be also higher. Could there be a break on sirtuin activity because of that?

• unsure x 1

#26 bluemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:11 PM

I think its very positive 2000g has no adverse effects, that opens the options for a whole lot more try outs e.g. heart failure. 

Last month, Charles Brenner said he knows the results of NR on 30 heart failure patients in the U of Washington trial but that he couldn't discuss the results yet. That study ended last month where patients took 250 mg twice a day in week 1 then 500 mg twice a day in week 2 and by week 4 took 1000 mg twice a day until the final week 12.

Brenner mentioned his heart failure/NR mouse study which had great results in another more recent interview and wonder if he would say much about that if the human heart failure trial wasn't positive. With mice, taking NR helped prevent heart failure as well as lifted them out of it.

https://clinicaltria...how/NCT03423342

• unsure x 2
  • like x 1

#27 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:23 PM

Last month, Charles Brenner said he knows the results of NR on 30 heart failure patients in the U of Washington trial but that he couldn't discuss the results yet. That study ended last month where patients took 250 mg twice a day in week 1 then 500 mg twice a day in week 2 and by week 4 took 1000 mg twice a day until the final week 12.

Brenner mentioned his heart failure/NR mouse study which had great results in another more recent interview and wonder if he would say much about that if the human heart failure trial wasn't positive. With mice, taking NR helped prevent heart failure as well as lifted them out of it.

https://clinicaltria...how/NCT03423342

Thats true, typically people never mention something if its not positive. There are also indications NMN is usefull in HF.

• Needs references x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#28 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:37 AM

notice what they are testing on - blood glucose and fatty liver 

why? 

because both are related to obesity and weight loss. THAT right there is how you SELL and MARKET a new supplement 

"OMG! this pill melts the fat off! Its a weight loss program in a bottle! Get 50% off today with this coupon code!"

its all about marketing. But I am telling you right now they are barking up the wrong tree. Look at the personal experience threads and people are seeing great results with all kinds of things, notably skin, energy, and arthritic joints. 

I could not possibly care less about its insulin or fatty liver properties. Insulin problems are like super easy to take care of (barring serious genetic disorders or what have you) 

Intermittent fasting , healthy diet, limit sugar, excersice. Boom. Problems solved. 

NR/NMN will be proven to do amazing things, mark my words. But not until they stop trying to market it as yet another stupid freaking weight loss supplement. 

• Pointless, Timewasting x 4
  • Agree x 2
  • Needs references x 1

#29 bluemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:17 AM

NR/NMN will be proven to do amazing things, mark my words. But not until they stop trying to market it as yet another stupid freaking weight loss supplement. 

Your words don't mean anything until human trials back them up.

A year ago, Leonard Guarante said on a radio show that NR (Eysium Basis) did not show weight loss in their 12 week trial. "We saw no evidence of weight loss" is a strong statement.

I've never heard Chromadex say it causes weight loss either. 

• Agree x 3

#30 Gingerbread Man

• 56 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:10 PM

Looking over the data again this morning. I actually don't care for the wording they used in the results.

"Results: Insulin sensitivity, endogenous glucose production, and
glucose disposal and oxidation were not improved by NR supplementation."

The "not improved" part.

Looking at the data in table 3, the participants in the NR treatment side were healthy and didn't need improvement in any of the areas mentioned in the quote above. An HbA1c, % of 5.6 is normal. I think if those values had been listed in the results as unchanged it would be more accurate than "not improved". As a diabetic for over 18 years who has had an HbA1c, % of over 13 and can't even think about how great a 5.6 would be I think the "not improved" sends a message as if we should be expecting a change from the group that was studied.

Run the study again with Type 2 diabetics.

My NAFLD numbers have gotten better on NR.

• Informative x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nad+, nad, brenner, copenhagen, fatty liver niagen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users