LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

NAD+ Booster Subjective Comparisons

nmn nad nad+

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Poll: NR vs. NMN Subjective Comparison (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you like NR?

1. Liked (3 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Disliked (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

3. Neutral (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Didn't try (4 votes [33.33%])

Did you like NMN?

1. Liked (6 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Disliked (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Neutral (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. Didn't try (4 votes [33.33%])

Which did you like better?

1. Liked NR better than NMN (1 votes [8.33%])

2. Liked NMN better than NR (3 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Liked both (1 votes [8.33%])

4. Disliked both (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Neutral on both (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

6. Didn't try both (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 29 April 2023 - 05:00 AM

I would like to hear from people who tried two or more NAD+ boosters, like NR and NMN, or other NAD+ boosters, or two different brands of one. Please post your experience.

What effects did you feel or measure compared to the other? Like, did you have more energy or endurance on one vs. the other? Better mood or sleep? Or, did a blood test improve on one but not the other? Or, did you have a negative effect on one but not the other?

I found a couple people who said they liked NMN better than NR. I have only tried Niagen NR myself. I've been taking it for a few years. I can't say I have noticed anything. I plan to try NMN soon to compare.

#2 Danniel

• 93 posts

Posted 30 April 2023 - 04:06 AM

You should have included also N+R.
  • Agree x 2
  • Disagree x 1

#3 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 11:02 PM

A thread to check out, some posters have had better results with the liposomal gels

https://www.longecit...ratrolcurcumin/

#4 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 04:35 PM

Due to very low bioavailability of NR and NMN, you are basically taking NAM. NR is more cost effective than NMN and NAM is the most cost effective. Mice study has shown that long term use of NAM, NR, and NMN are useless. Short term use are fine and helpful at low doses. For long term use, Niacin is better.
  • Agree x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Off-Topic x 1

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 05:31 PM

Due to very low bioavailability of NR and NMN, you are basically taking NAM. NR is more cost effective than NMN and NAM is the most cost effective. Mice study has shown that long term use of NAM, NR, and NMN are useless. Short term use are fine and helpful at low doses. For long term use, Niacin is better.

Agreed. Various forms of niacin (or niacinamide) are much more cost effective and probably have similar health effects.

• Agree x 3

#6 RaisingNAD

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2023 - 11:49 PM

Hopefully the following is useful...

We have a handful of powerful NMN consumer anecdotes:

https://RaisingNAD.c...nucleotide-nmn/

But the anecdotes from NR consumers are quite remarkable:

https://RaisingNAD.c...de-riboside-nr/

• Informative x 1
  • dislike x 1

#7 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 01:52 AM

I believe people who got great results from NR and NMN had low levels of NAD+.
  • Good Point x 2

#8 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 04:37 AM

Weird,

the 22 tested NMN products did not include RevGenetics Advanced NMN, even though we have been selling it since 2016 to academia and in 2017 to the public, and the company who tested all the samples knew about us selling NMN, longer than all of the other companies. It makes you wonder why. https://web.archive....nucleotide.aspx

You want to know when the other NMN companies started selling this?

Look them up. I am pretty sure you will realize they started selling it 4-5 years after we had made it available.

Personally I take NMN. Why?

Because when my son was 16, we took the cellular NAD test, and I had higher amounts of NAD than my son, after I had taken NMN for a couple of months.

For me that was quite impressive.

Now, as you may know, we have the technology to nano-size curcumin, tetrahydro curcumin and quercetin... so it is obvious we can do the same with NMN.

But we do not do it. Why?

Because of my blood tests, it is obvious it works well without it being nano-sized or the extra costs of putting the NMN into micelles or liposomes. The fact is

that the NMN (unlike curcumin, resveratrol and quercetin) is extremely water soluble, and doesn't need liposomes. I know this again, because of my blood tests.

David Sinclair used it in water in his mouse study, and it worked well. So why coat the NMN at all with something that may prevent it from being absorbed by the

the SLC12A8 gene (the nmn transporter gene)? If you are taking NMN that is coated or in a liposome... you may not be absorbing it well in my opinion. 

Don't get me wrong, the NMN I take is protected by enteric capsules.

That's the only extra consideration, if you want to take the extra step to protect the NMN.

Again, Sinclair didn't use anything at all in his mouse study. So even enteric capsules might be overkill, but I do it anyway.

Anthony Loera

RevGenetics

• Informative x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#9 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 02:33 PM

NAM increases NAD+ too. So NMN or NR increase NAD+ don’t mean they are better than NAM.
  • Needs references x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#10 osris

• 531 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 12:23 AM

Just saw this:

"Dihydronicotinamide Riboside Is a Potent NAD+ Precursor Promoting a Pro-Inflammatory Phenotype in Macrophages"

So it looks like this can be added to the NAD precursor list of NR, NMN and NAM.

• like x 1

#11 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 01:33 AM

NRH is the most potent NAD+ precursor. Others are just trash. Unfortunately ChromaDex CEO and Brenner decided to burry it in order to promote NR because Brenner thinks he invented NR. Chromodex holds patent on NRH.
  • Needs references x 1

#12 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 06:02 AM

double post

Edited by Gal220, 01 June 2023 - 06:04 AM.

#13 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 06:02 AM

@Anthony_Loera

From a reddit post

"This testing was done by Chromadex, and they only tested NMN products sold on Amazon."

https://www.reddit.c..._of_nmn_brands/

This article also claims only Amazon supplements were tested

https://raisingnad.c...kable-takeaway/

also

• 14% had NMN content at or above the label claim.
  • 23% had NMN content just below label claim; or 88-99% of label claim.
  • 64% had NMN content below the method reporting limit or detection limit (indicating less than 1% of the claimed NMN was present)
  • NMN was not detected in 14% of the products.

Renew by Science has a sublingual liposomal version I prefer so the Liver is avoided and includes resveratrol

Liposomes should increase bioavailability

Edited by Gal220, 01 June 2023 - 06:23 AM.

• Informative x 1

#14 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 12:02 AM

Thanks Gal, but I believe we were selling NMN on Amazon as well.

As for liposomal: I already mentioned why we don't do that in this post:

Weird,

the 22 tested NMN products did not include RevGenetics Advanced NMN, even though we have been selling it since 2016 to academia and in 2017 to the public, and the company who tested all the samples knew about us selling NMN, longer than all of the other companies. It makes you wonder why. https://web.archive....nucleotide.aspx

You want to know when the other NMN companies started selling this?

Look them up. I am pretty sure you will realize they started selling it 4-5 years after we had made it available.

Personally I take NMN. Why?

Because when my son was 16, we took the cellular NAD test, and I had higher amounts of NAD than my son, after I had taken NMN for a couple of months.

For me that was quite impressive.

Now, as you may know, we have the technology to nano-size curcumin, tetrahydro curcumin and quercetin... so it is obvious we can do the same with NMN.

But we do not do it. Why?

Because of my blood tests, it is obvious it works well without it being nano-sized or the extra costs of putting the NMN into micelles or liposomes. The fact is

that the NMN (unlike curcumin, resveratrol and quercetin) is extremely water soluble, and doesn't need liposomes. I know this again, because of my blood tests.

David Sinclair used it in water in his mouse study, and it worked well. So why coat the NMN at all with something that may prevent it from being absorbed by the

the SLC12A8 gene (the nmn transporter gene)? If you are taking NMN that is coated or in a liposome... you may not be absorbing it well in my opinion. 

Don't get me wrong, the NMN I take is protected by enteric capsules.

That's the only extra consideration, if you want to take the extra step to protect the NMN.

Again, Sinclair didn't use anything at all in his mouse study. So even enteric capsules might be overkill, but I do it anyway.

Anthony Loera

RevGenetics

• Good Point x 1

#15 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 06:07 AM

Thanks Gal, but I believe we were selling NMN on Amazon as well.

As for liposomal: I already mentioned why we don't do that in this post:

"Top 22 NMN Brands on Amazon "   -  Sad most people don't know who the real players are in vitamins

Some of the members here had their best results with the renue by science lipo gel is why I mentioned it.

Lover your products also, expecially micro resveratrol !

#16 Brimstone

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 July 2023 - 06:38 PM

I have experimented with NR, NMN and NA.  In my humble opinion NA was hands down the winner.  With NR I noticed no improvements and spent way too much on it.  With NMN I did notice improvements but it's hard to determine reliable vendors and, again, it's expensive.

Niacin (not NAM) helped my cholesterol, has been shown to have positive effects on MTOR1 inhibition, and slight enhancements to muscle strength and visceral fat loss.  The flushing is easily circumvented via a slow titration from the lowest dose to your target dose over several months using an extended release version.  I have never seen fluctuations in my liver enzymes and I am taking 1000 mg/day.  It's inexpensive, you have less concerns about "fakes", and, according to recent studies referenced here, it has a strong effect on mitochondria and mitochondrial biogenesis.

This should not be construed as me putting down NMN or NR, not at all.  But for me, and the bang for my buck supported by quite a bit of clinical research, I'll take Niacin.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#17 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 07:58 AM

Please quote references for the mouse study.

NMN may be more useful sub-lingually since anything absorbed would bypass the liver.

#18 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 01:52 PM

Forget about NAD+ boosters. The new kid in town is AKG. I am taking AAKG now since it helps with sleep also. You can also take AKG and CaAKG. I am taking 5-6 grams of AAKG a day. My skin is becoming very smooth again just like when I was taking Tru Niagen. So I think AKG also increases NAD+ as well as other benefits since AKG mimics calorie restriction plus other benefits
  • Informative x 1

#19 Advocatus Diaboli

• 562 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2023 - 05:44 PM

MikeDC, what is the brand and source of the AAKG that you use? Thanks.

#20 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 04:13 AM

The vendor is bulksupplements.com on amazon. AAKG helps with sleep problems because of Arginine. If you don’t need that, you can use AKG acid.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nmn, nad, nad+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users