-->
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Does muscle-building rejuvenate muscle cells?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 icyT

icyT
  • 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:37 PM

An article I was reading from a local gym referenced this, relevant snipped C&Ped
"It is well known that strength training, aka resistance training, improves muscle strength and function in young and old alike, but the new research suggests that strength training also affects older muscles on the level of "gene expression" essentially turning back the clock on muscle aging.

Genes hold the instruction from which the body manufactures proteins; gene expression refers to the processes that translate these instructions into proteins, which are the building blocks for muscle. The study analyzed small samples of muscle tissue from a group of healthy young and older adults, researchers found that older and younger muscle tissues differed significantly in that older muscle tissue had impaired functioning. That impairment however was reversible following 6 months of strength training. The gene expression profile showed a more youthful appearance. "In a very real sense, the muscle was younger", said lead study author Dr Simon Melov of the Buck Institute for Age Research in Novato, California."

http://www.goodlifef...=200708&story=2

I'm really curious about how true this is. No doubt exercises causes adaptive functioning, but just how are they judging this? We know that older atheletes don't regularly beat out younger ones, so what's the deal? I think it just proves that older muscle can still increase in functioning, but that doesn't mean its function is restored to youthful potentials. It just seems too generic and hopeful, something to sell gym memberships. I wish people wouldn't propogate it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users