• Please log in to reply
2844 replies to this topic

#1501 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

As a vege also, I can relate. :)

Assuming you are male, iron levels should be easy enough to maintain (don't go too overboard with iron supplements). Don't drink coffee - kills the bowel flora that is used to absorb micro-nutrients, iron being a common victim. Taking vitamin C helps absorption.

It's a pity the blood test wasn't comprehensive. Depending on how you go, you may want to go back and test for fasting levels of the usual spectrum of minerals, etc.

Blood tests in Sweden (where I live) are usually kept to the few ones that the doctors believes are motivated, and far too many doctors seem to be undereducated regarding the importance of micronutrient testing. Also, I'm not entirely sure that plasma levels (which are commonly tested) always gives values that are valid for the body as a whole.

I would love to use a service such as SpectraCell, testing lymphocyte intracellular nutritients and thereby providing a portrait of long-term status, but it's unforturnately not available here. Maybe hair tissue could be an alternative? :)

Possibly another way to test yor levels, sure.

http://www.allergyha...geID=2145881646

#1502 Renegade

• 182 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

Could you please explain why are not keen on this choline source? Would 500mg x2 of ACAR be preferable? Also - how should I time the uridine dosage? 25mg morning and 25mg afternoon?
I will try GPC and CDP but they may make me foggy. While I assess the urdine's effect, bitartrate seems like a good compromise.

1,600mg EPA / 800mg DHA. I have periodic blood tests measuring AA - EPA to make sure my eicosanoids are in balance and I'm taking the optimal dosage.

Edited by Renegade, 12 October 2012 - 10:43 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1503 Renegade

• 182 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

Reishi: natural source of uridine, used for longevity and treatment of a number of conditions. Very interesting
http://www.encognitive.com/node/15714

Reishi never ceases to amaze me. It is the closest we have to a herbal panacea. I also saw in another thread on here recently that it promotes NGF - and now uridine! The amount of benefits this herb has from a TCM and modern medicine perspective is mind boggling.

No wonder it is the most revered herbal substance in TCM and classed as the no 1 tonic of the 365 Chinese herbs.

I've been taking it daily for 2 years.

Edited by Renegade, 13 October 2012 - 12:07 AM.

#1504 golden1

• 681 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:27 AM

I pick Reishi around here, they are kind of rare, but making them into a tea really clears my head. It's so cool just being able to find them too(they're woody which is very cool for a mushroom as well). I never knew what was in them that was doing it, but now I have the urge to go find a couple.. :O

#1505 Renegade

• 182 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

Reishi is great stuff :-)

I took 500mg ALCAR + 75mg TAU ths morning.
I feel irritable and snappy, depressed and brain fogged :-( As documented above, I felt good with 50mg TAU and choline bitartrate.
Any ideas? I may leave out the ALCAR tomorrow with 50mg TAU and see how I go. 500mg ALCAR has never given me this reaction.

It's very frustrating as I have had bad reactions to piracetam and Lion's mane this month and now this. Why am I responding so badly these supplements?!

Edited by Renegade, 13 October 2012 - 10:38 AM.

#1506 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

As a vege also, I can relate. :)

Assuming you are male, iron levels should be easy enough to maintain (don't go too overboard with iron supplements). Don't drink coffee - kills the bowel flora that is used to absorb micro-nutrients, iron being a common victim. Taking vitamin C helps absorption.

It's a pity the blood test wasn't comprehensive. Depending on how you go, you may want to go back and test for fasting levels of the usual spectrum of minerals, etc.

Blood tests in Sweden (where I live) are usually kept to the few ones that the doctors believes are motivated, and far too many doctors seem to be undereducated regarding the importance of micronutrient testing. Also, I'm not entirely sure that plasma levels (which are commonly tested) always gives values that are valid for the body as a whole.

I would love to use a service such as SpectraCell, testing lymphocyte intracellular nutritients and thereby providing a portrait of long-term status, but it's unforturnately not available here. Maybe hair tissue could be an alternative? :)

Possibly another way to test yor levels, sure.

http://www.allergyha...geID=2145881646

Sorry, but that assay looks like serious Voodoo to me!

#1507 golden1

• 681 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

Reishi is great stuff :-)

I took 500mg ALCAR + 75mg TAU ths morning.
I feel irritable and snappy, depressed and brain fogged :-( As documented above, I felt good with 50mg TAU and choline bitartrate.
Any ideas? I may leave out the ALCAR tomorrow with 50mg TAU and see how I go. 500mg ALCAR has never given me this reaction.

It's very frustrating as I have had bad reactions to piracetam and Lion's mane this month and now this. Why am I responding so badly these supplements?!

ALCAR ends up making me slightly depressed and rather tired, but not right away(>4hours at the least) and it lasts for pretty much a day.

Can anyone compare uridine to CDP-Choline? I feel a distinct dopamine-like almost euphoria after taking 250-500mg CDP-choline which builds over weeks when I remember to keep taking it. Does uridine have obvious effects like that and how do they compare in quality and intensity to CDP-choline?

If anyone has tried both I'd be interested to hear.

#1508 victortsoi

• 180 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

Is there a conversion between TAU and "uridine"? Are there any risks? Any benefits from 50mg a day? Thanks.
  • dislike x 1

#1509 Phiaq

• 33 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

I had a really bad reaction to piracetam, which was probably due to overexcitation, so I'd like to make sure uridine has no similar functioning in the brain. Anyone with knowledge on the subject?

#1510 prunk

• 227 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

My experience with TAU have been more positive than negative. Energy levels, concentration and general mood of well being are improved. However, during the first week of experimenting with different dosages there was a one quite uncomfortable side effect. After approx. 5h of dosing I began to feel like getting a flu. Skin became a bit sensitive. Some light feeling of "pain" all over. Nose became slightly stuffy. This feeling of sickness lasted about 3-5h and was pretty much the same in 25mg as in 100mg, which was my max. I wonder what might have been the reason for this side effect..? Any ideas? Taking a break for 2 weeks seemed to resolve the issue. So far its gone. Also when dosing a few days with 100mg I became a way too stimulated and then strongly depressed. Got some annoying tics as well.

It hasn't been affecting negatively to my sleep - which was a positive suprise.

Summa summarum for the time being: 14 "positive experience-days" and 6 "negative experience-days". Now taking 50mg with CDP 250mg, 10-15mg of Cod liver oil and some B-vitamins in the morning. This 50mg dosage of TAU seems to be right one for me. For now.

#1511 vali

• 61 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

Dose:
250 mg UMP, taken sublingualy
3g fish oil
1 B multi-vitamin
no choline (yet)

I really like this! Before dosing; I'm lying in bed, slowing sinking deeper and deeper into apathy and internet browsing. After dosing: I get up, exercise, and starting working on a number of projects I need/want to do. I've only done it a couple times, and I'll be going off it for a bit for another project, but you can be assured that I'll be back in a couple months or so.

#1512 chairofgold

• 90 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

Can someone tell me if this substance causes dendritic growth? Second how long does an experience last?

I have my experiences with this drug and my conclusions are my own but I wanted to know about yall others in regards to me questions.

Edited by chairofgold, 21 October 2012 - 08:53 AM.

#1513 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

it's surprising that people are so sensitive to 50mg of TAU, I look like 5 grams for days and barely anything happened.

#1514 prunk

• 227 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

it's surprising that people are so sensitive to 50mg of TAU, I look like 5 grams for days and barely anything happened.

5 grams of TAU for days..?? Wow!
I need to lower my dosage of TAU to 25mg. It's beginning to affect my sleep. Plus I'm getting quite bad headaches.

#1515 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

I need to lower my dosage of TAU to 25mg. It's beginning to affect my sleep. Plus I'm getting quite bad headaches.

Yes and in studies there are between 5-20 grams used daily, are you sure it's the TAU? Not casting doubt on your experience but could it possibly be something else?

#1516 prunk

• 227 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Yes and in studies there are between 5-20 grams used daily, are you sure it's the TAU? Not casting doubt on your experience but could it possibly be something else?

Hopefully I'm using the right stuff! :laugh: Yes, it's triacetyluridine ( TAU ) 25mg capsules ( just took the bottle in my hand and checked for in case one more time to be absolutely sure :-D ).

#1517 alecnevsky

• 344 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

I just took 500mg ALCAR + 720mg DHA + 300mg GPC + 50mg TAU (dissolved in olive oil) before lunch after taking my morning dose of CILTEP +1g Tyrosine + 60mg Ginkgo + 500mg Ginseng and the effects are mildly noticeable. I am not sleepy and feel generally alert, focused and overall great, but it's a far stretch from my Adderall habit insofar as energy and motivation go, clarity however is definitely improved. I wonder whether I should increase my dose, if yes, then of what?

I think this [condition/feeling] could be a good backdrop for my 200mg Pram + 200mg Sulbutiamine + 500mg ALCAR + 300mg GPC combo later on today...

Is that too much to stack? I feel great and not at all pressured or stressed by my earlier stacks. Hm.

Edited by alecnevsky, 21 October 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#1518 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

I just took 500mg ALCAR + 720mg DHA + 300mg GPC + 50mg TAU (dissolved in olive oil) before lunch after taking my morning dose of CILTEP +1g Tyrosine + 60mg Ginkgo + 500mg Ginseng and the effects are mildly noticeable. I am not sleepy and feel generally alert, focused and overall great, but it's a far stretch from my Adderall habit insofar as energy and motivation go, clarity however is definitely improved. I wonder whether I should increase my dose, if yes, then of what?

I think this [condition/feeling] could be a good backdrop for my 200mg Pram + 200mg Sulbutiamine + 500mg ALCAR + 300mg GPC combo later on today...

Is that too much to stack? I feel great and not at all pressured or stressed by my earlier stacks. Hm.

I would've started taking just uridine alone. I find that when I throw in GPC my mood goes downhill but uridine itself is excellent for a balanced mood. I've taken up to 100mg of TAU with no problems.

#1519 Drifter

• 16 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

I am already taking cod liver oil, and am thinking of adding CDP choline to my stack. From what I have read in this thread, CDP choline is broken down into choline and uridine. So, will taking omega 3 and CDP choline give the full benefits of the omega 3/choline/uridine combination, or would I still need an additional source of uridine to get the full effect. Unfortunately uridine is quite hard to get hold of and expensive still in the UK, whereas CDP choline has been around for a while and is fairly reasonably priced these days.

#1520 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

I am already taking cod liver oil, and am thinking of adding CDP choline to my stack. From what I have read in this thread, CDP choline is broken down into choline and uridine. So, will taking omega 3 and CDP choline give the full benefits of the omega 3/choline/uridine combination, or would I still need an additional source of uridine to get the full effect. Unfortunately uridine is quite hard to get hold of and expensive still in the UK, whereas CDP choline has been around for a while and is fairly reasonably priced these days.

Nope, this has been discussed earlier. It seems Uridine is needed since somehow during the conversions something is lost if you just take CDP choline.

#1521 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

Hopefully I'm using the right stuff! :laugh: Yes, it's triacetyluridine ( TAU ) 25mg capsules ( just took the bottle in my hand and checked for in case one more time to be absolutely sure :-D ).

i just meant are you sure it's the TAU causing those side effects or are you taking another supplement as well? or perhaps it's coincidence? I could be wrong though, I have also heard a number of individuals complaining of similar side effects from TAU or UMP... maybe there's something to it. But still, I find it odd that I didn't get those side effects after taking anywhere between 100-400 times your dose.

#1522 Renegade

• 182 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

50 - 75mg of TAU made me feel so awful that I would consider never going near the stuff ever again - though I may give UMP a go some day. I have no idea why I had this reaction and I'm 99.9% sure it was the uridine caused these effects. Another demonstration of how dramatically each persons neurology differs.

Edited by Renegade, 24 October 2012 - 10:26 PM.

• like x 1

#1523 RJ100

• 153 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

50 - 75mg of TAU made me feel so awful that I would consider never going near the stuff ever again - though I may give UMP a go some day. I have no idea why I had this reaction and I'm 99.9% sure it was the uridine caused these effects. Another demonstration of how dramatically each persons neurology differs.

Me too.

My brain hates TAU for some reason.

#1524 Renegade

• 182 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Me too.

My brain hates TAU for some reason.

What was your reaction to UMP and at what dosage? If you had a positive reaction to UDP, I will order some and give it a go.

#1525 RJ100

• 153 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

I felt lousy and had terrible brain fog.

I started at 75mg TAU, dropped to 50, to 25 and then I quit.

Possible causes for my bad reaction are over-methylation (haven't determined this yet) or NMDA issues I have with glutamate dysfunction. Or something completely different.. who can say.

Have not tried UDP.

Edited by RJ100, 25 October 2012 - 04:23 PM.

• like x 1

#1526 Renegade

• 182 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

Is there any method of addressing the NMDA or over methylation issues and subsequently testing your reaction to uridine?

I would love to get to the bottom of this and I'd be curious if this reaction to uridine points to a specific underlying issue.

#1527 RJ100

• 153 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

Not that I know of.

I mitigate my NMDA issues with NAC + Vitamin C and avoidance of glutamate and excitotoxins. I don't know what else to do. I understand Memantine would likely help me, but I'm hesitant since I've had bad side effects from every prescription drug I've ever taken.

I fit the profile of an over-methylator, but until I get a blood test confirming low histamine and/or a 23andme test verifying my MTHFR status I can't say for certain that it's a real problem.

#1528 Renegade

• 182 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

I haven't found any reasoning to suggest I would respond any better to UMP. Has anyone here had a bad reaction to TAU and positive to UMP?

#1529 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

I haven't found any reasoning to suggest I would respond any better to UMP. Has anyone here had a bad reaction to TAU and positive to UMP?

Maybe you should take a b vitamin along with uridine and start at a lower dosage first.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1530 Hope47

• 110 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:00 AM

Do you guys take b vitamins on empty stomach?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: choline, uridine, dha, omega-3, epa, ump, tau, b vitamins

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By