* * * * * 41 votes

GPC (choline), Uridine, DHA

choline uridine dha omega-3 epa ump tau b vitamins

• Please log in to reply
2844 replies to this topic

#1531 Pirate

• 147 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

Where do you guys order Uridine (UMP) from? I'm drawing a blank on my usual sources. Is it called something else?

Edited by Pirate, 27 October 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#1532 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

Where do you guys order Uridine (UMP) from? I'm drawing a blank on my usual sources. Is it called something else?

http://www.superiorn...tegory_Code=COG

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1533 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

Has anyone here had kidney stones? I began taking UMP (among a few other supplements) a few months ago. I am currently urinating blood and im going to be checked for kidney stones tomorrow, possibly. Please, can UMP cause kidney stones? I am only 18!

#1534 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Has anyone here had kidney stones? I began taking UMP (among a few other supplements) a few months ago. I am currently urinating blood and im going to be checked for kidney stones tomorrow, possibly. Please, can UMP cause kidney stones? I am only 18!

Not directly.
Could be a kidney infection / UTI.

Also (and this is/was a somewhat controversial topic to many people) according to a literature search, it could *possibly* indicate a nanobacterium infection, as nanobacteria reportedly incorporates uridine for growth and replication and is reportedly responsible for some cases of arterial plaque or kidney stones, amongst other issues.

http://en.m.wikipedi...i/Nanobacterium

http://www.a4t.org/H...ontroversy.html

http://news.bbc.co.u...ure/3729487.stm

Treatment is apparently a tetracycline + EDTA suppository combination.

What's your diet/fluid intake looking like?

#1535 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

Not directly.

Also (and this is/was a somewhat controversial topic to many people) according to a literature search, it could *possibly* indicate a nanobacterium infection, as nanobacteria reportedly incorporates uridine for growth and replication and is reportedly responsible for some cases of arterial plaque or kidney stones, amongst other issues.

Thanks for the reply. I drink fluids often and have no irregular diet. Can too much Vitamin D contribute to stones?

#1536 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

Not directly.

Thanks for the reply. I drink fluids often and have no irregular diet. Can too much Vitamin D contribute to stones?

Wait and see if it is kidney stones. Infection would be more likely at your age.

#1537 MenDis

• 50 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:59 AM

Does anyone know if taking St Johns Wort with uridine will have any adverse effects? I've been taking uridine for the past couple of months with no apparent effect but would like to continue it while I start taking St Johns Wort. Also would like to say that the dizziness/confusion I reported upon first taking uridine went away after taking a break (for a week or so) and restarting.

#1538 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

Does anyone know if taking St Johns Wort with uridine will have any adverse effects? I've been taking uridine for the past couple of months with no apparent effect but would like to continue it while I start taking St Johns Wort. Also would like to say that the dizziness/confusion I reported upon first taking uridine went away after taking a break (for a week or so) and restarting.

What are your dose levels and maybe describe your symptoms?

#1539 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

The CAT scan shows that I have a kidney stone. I will be leaving for the doctor in 1 hour 30 minutes.

#1540 celiac

• 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

Sorry about your kidney stones, sparkk. Did the doctor indicate at all what might be a plausible explanation for why you have them?

#1541 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Hey everyone...this thread is fairly out of control. Just skimmed the past 5 pages, and it seems like a pretty significant number of posts have only the slimmest connection to uridine...so much of the fish oil/b vitamin/methylation/etc stuff is covered in other threads, and a lot of the posts are conversational/"I just placed an order"/ask Mr. Happy a random question about supps or health. It may already be past the point of usefulness, but let's try to make our posts a little more relevant and dense with information/experience ^^

There's also a lot of runaway enthusiasm, still. Seemingly lots of people who know nothing about supplements, nootropics, or the physiological systems involved are taking this substance and asking questions later. There's such a thing as making things too easy, and there's lots of fast advice being thrown around here. Mr. Happy, if you're editing the first post, please include more links to papers and/or the best posts in this thread...listing one paper, every ailment known to man, and then a quick "how to take this" is a little thin, given how many people seem interested. I'd also suggest a few words about the current level of understanding and maybe a few more caveats about it not being a wonder drug ^^;;; and the possibility of side-effects or non-response, and the wide range of individual reaction to basically anything you put in your body.

Edited by chrono, 06 November 2012 - 07:46 PM.

• like x 2
  • Well Written x 1

#1542 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

Sorry about your kidney stones, sparkk. Did the doctor indicate at all what might be a plausible explanation for why you have them?

Thanks, and there is no explanation to the stones. Just visited the urologist and he believes that a prostate infection would still be the best bet and that the kidney stones are just a coincidence. I will have another appointment with him 2 weeks from now at the latest. He is currently having my urine sample cultured and is waiting for a fax of the CAT scan to come in. I'll fill in with details when necessary.

Thanks for the responses!

#1543 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Did any of you guys have more success using Uridine with the B vitamins alone than with Fish oil and/or Choline?

#1544 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

Hey everyone...this thread is fairly out of control. Just skimmed the past 5 pages, and it seems like a pretty significant number of posts have only the slimmest connection to uridine...so much of the fish oil/b vitamin/methylation/etc stuff is covered in other threads, and a lot of the posts are conversational/"I just placed an order"/ask Mr. Happy a random question about supps or health. It may already be past the point of usefulness, but let's try to make our posts a little more relevant and dense with information/experience ^^

There's also a lot of runaway enthusiasm, still. Seemingly lots of people who know nothing about supplements, nootropics, or the physiological systems involved are taking this substance and asking questions later. There's such a thing as making things too easy, and there's lots of fast advice being thrown around here. Mr. Happy, if you're editing the first post, please include more links to papers and/or the best posts in this thread...listing one paper, every ailment known to man, and then a quick "how to take this" is a little thin, given how many people seem interested. I'd also suggest a few words about the current level of understanding and maybe a few more caveats about it not being a wonder drug ^^;;; and the possibility of side-effects or non-response, and the wide range of individual reaction to basically anything you put in your body.

I've just started working on it (just been appointed as forum moderator), but it'll be a couple of days, at least, until it's cleaned up and documented better. :)
  • like x 6

#1545 ScientiaPotentiaEst

• 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

Congratulations Mr. Happy!
  • dislike x 1

#1546 MenDis

• 50 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

I've been taking 300 mg of uridine sublingually every day and I'm considering taking 900 mg of Kira brand st john's wort daily. I've been taking 500mg of bacopa a day along with the uridine to try to help with my working memory defecit (among other things) that resulted from a bad reaction to pramiracetam 1.5 years ago. Without the bacopa, I have these really bad attacks everyday where my inner voice is extremely scrambled and I can't have any thoughts at all because there is too much noise. It is like all my neurons are firing at once in no apparent pattern at all and it fills my head with imperceptable noise/ partially formed thoughts. I'm not sure the mechanism by which the bacopa helps this, but it gets rid of those attacks and helps slightly with the working memory problems (I know its the bacopa and not the uridine since I've gone off the bacopa while on the uridine and had the attacks return). However, I'm not comfortable staying on the bacopa for the long term since it has caused me to lose weight (I suspect from an increase in thyroid hormone. Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12065164). Also, there has been some speculation that it is a heavy metal accumulator. I am also unsure of its long term effects with regard to fertility (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19041444). Long story short, I would like to find something with fewer possible side effects to replace the bacopa that would accomplish the same thing or do better working memory wise. I am guessing that st john's wort may be able to have a similar effect because it is a SSRI, whereas bacopa has been shown to increase serotonin production (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21129470).

What I was wondering is if there is any fundamental reason why uridine would interfere with st john's wort or vice versa or whether it would be dangerous to take them both.

#1547 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

I've been taking 300 mg of uridine sublingually every day and I'm considering taking 900 mg of Kira brand st john's wort daily. I've been taking 500mg of bacopa a day along with the uridine to try to help with my working memory defecit (among other things) that resulted from a bad reaction to pramiracetam 1.5 years ago. Without the bacopa, I have these really bad attacks everyday where my inner voice is extremely scrambled and I can't have any thoughts at all because there is too much noise. It is like all my neurons are firing at once in no apparent pattern at all and it fills my head with imperceptable noise/ partially formed thoughts. I'm not sure the mechanism by which the bacopa helps this, but it gets rid of those attacks and helps slightly with the working memory problems (I know its the bacopa and not the uridine since I've gone off the bacopa while on the uridine and had the attacks return). However, I'm not comfortable staying on the bacopa for the long term since it has caused me to lose weight (I suspect from an increase in thyroid hormone. Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12065164). Also, there has been some speculation that it is a heavy metal accumulator. I am also unsure of its long term effects with regard to fertility (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19041444). Long story short, I would like to find something with fewer possible side effects to replace the bacopa that would accomplish the same thing or do better working memory wise. I am guessing that st john's wort may be able to have a similar effect because it is a SSRI, whereas bacopa has been shown to increase serotonin production (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21129470).

What I was wondering is if there is any fundamental reason why uridine would interfere with st john's wort or vice versa or whether it would be dangerous to take them both.

Well, bacopa has a few useful methods of action, but one of those is to cause a large spike in serotonin levels. Broadly speaking, when serotonin goes up, dopamine goes down.
Uridine works on modulating dopamine levels, amongst other things, which may have the opposite desired effect for you.

If you are unsure about longterm usage of bacopa, you could try supplementing the precursors for serotonin and see if that's more effective for you.
These include: L-tryptophan and/or 5-HTP, with Vitamin C being a cofactor.

St John's Wort is believed to be a fairly broad monoamine reuptake inhibitor. In alternative medicine, it's also known for assisting nerve damage symptoms. I'd be reluctant to mix it with any serotonin or dopamine agonists.

I've been taking 300 mg of uridine sublingually every day

Also, try taking the same dose, but orally, not sublingually.

Congratulations Mr. Happy!

Thank you, I'll try to live up to expectations! If nothing else, I'll just enjoy helping people, like normal. :)

Edited by MrHappy, 08 November 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#1548 ScientiaPotentiaEst

• 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

From what I've read so far,including but not limited to this thread, you'll do awesome! :) Keep up the good work!
  • dislike x 1

#1549 celiac

• 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:20 AM

Chrono, throughout this entire thread you have been extremely cautious about this supplement. Even when I don't agree with you, I am happy we have someone here to give an opposing argument. I really like the recommendations you make to Mr. Happy in organizing the thread.

At the same time, I would like to ask your personal view on Uridine given what we know thus far. I am all about supplement safety, especially with supplements that require long-term consumption like this one. Ultimately, though, I have been less concerned about Uridine than other supplements (Piracetam, for instance). One of the main reasons being that Uridine is an added ingredient in baby formula (as I believe Mr. Happy pointed out and as I've personally verified). Similarly, Uridine's presence in common foods quells my worries. What are you thoughts on this?

Mr. Happy, congrats! Best of luck in organizing this thread. I'm looking forward to seeing all the information compiled nicely.

Lastly, I should introduce myself. Hi, I'm celiac. I've been lurking on this thread since the summer. I've read through it all. I will post my experiences in detail at some point. At the name suggests, I suffer from celiac disease, part of the symptoms of which can be neurological issues and cognitive decline. I have experienced this to a significant degree and am looking to remedy those issues.

EDIT: grammar

Edited by celiac, 08 November 2012 - 05:21 AM.

#1550 MenDis

• 50 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

MrHappy,

Thanks for the input. I'm going to just try the St. John's by itself. I'm sure that I am just one of many who is very grateful for your input. Thanks!

#1551 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Mr. Happy, congrats! Best of luck in organizing this thread. I'm looking forward to seeing all the information compiled nicely.

Lastly, I should introduce myself. Hi, I'm celiac. I've been lurking on this thread since the summer. I've read through it all. I will post my experiences in detail at some point. At the name suggests, I suffer from celiac disease, part of the symptoms of which can be neurological issues and cognitive decline. I have experienced this to a significant degree and am looking to remedy those issues.

EDIT: grammar

Nice to meet you too. :)

Also, if you want some assistance with celiacs, which also used to be a personal topic for me, perhaps send me a PM, or start a topic in medicines and diseases and invite me to it.
Here's something that possibly will interest you: http://en.wikipedia....minthic_therapy

MrHappy,

Thanks for the input. I'm going to just try the St. John's by itself. I'm sure that I am just one of many who is very grateful for your input. Thanks!

Good plan.

If you do end up trying L-tryptophan + Vitamin C and find it effective, perhaps let me know - could indicate some dietary issues.

#1552 Hope47

• 110 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

How do i take uridine orally.With water or something.

#1553 Raza

• 454 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

You swallow it. With water is fine.

#1554 Heh

• Validating/Suspended
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

The CAT scan shows that I have a kidney stone. I will be leaving for the doctor in 1 hour 30 minutes.

Get some Herb Pharm Stone Breaker. I'm using it right now with Ashitaba and TMG to (hopefully) lower uric acid levels, and clear out whatever's trying to crystallize (hopefully nothing). Good luck!

#1555 curiouskid23

• 35 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Mr. Happy,

I've started compiling my own document on Uridine (Among other things) I'm going to continue expanding on this document, because I think it's a great way to organize all the information in this thread. I think it would make a great addition to the OP of this thread. If you or anybody else would like to help me, transform this thread into something more useful/structured, feel free to contribute to the document linked above.

Edited by curiouskid23, 12 November 2012 - 06:57 AM.

• like x 1

#1556 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

At the same time, I would like to ask your personal view on Uridine given what we know thus far. I am all about supplement safety, especially with supplements that require long-term consumption like this one. Ultimately, though, I have been less concerned about Uridine than other supplements (Piracetam, for instance).

Honestly, much of my cautionary admonishment early in the thread was to offset Mr. Happy's boundless enthusiasm for this substance, claims of curing Parkinson's based on one rat study and small human study, hard and fast recommendations, etc. Part of a moderator's role is to bring a little balance to a proselytized discussion, especially when it's clear that people without a lot of experience are latching on to said enthusiasm without a second's thought as to what the lack of relevant data might mean, or that any of our ongoing interpretation of what little data is available might simply be incorrect.

For my part, I'd be curious to try it, but have had almost 0 money available to spend on experimenting with new nootropics for the past year ;_; I haven't had the time to wade through this entire thread, but Mr Happy's posted some new studies in the first post, and there seems to be good indication of neurogenetic action. I'd have to read a lot more into the studies to guess whether this is clinically relevant in humans at these dosages, or if cognitive effects might be due to neurotransmitter modulation.

As for the safety, I really can't say. I feel that substances like piracetam can potentially be much safer to experiment with than essential nutrients, since they're relatively selective in their action, as opposed to interacting with fundamental metabolic processes. To take an example relevant to this topic, DHA and EPA can significantly increase your risk of stroke at fairly moderate dosages.

Edited by chrono, 12 November 2012 - 06:07 PM.

• like x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#1557 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

Mr. Happy,

I've started compiling my own document on Uridine (Among other things) I'm going to continue expanding on this document, because I think it's a great way to organize all the information in this thread. I think it would make a great addition to the OP of this thread. If you or anybody else would like to help me, transform this thread into something more useful/structured, feel free to contribute to the document linked above.

Cool concept and interface.

My intention is that the first post here will end up with a 'complete' profile, but I'll likely update a few things on your list once I've finished with the thread cleanup, etc., as I like what you are doing there! :)

#1558 Dale Taylor

• 16 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Thanks MrHappy for your work in this topic. I cant wait to try this out. I am an insomniac so will be nice to see what boost I get from this combo. Mind you my sleep is getting better as I'm doing acupuncture at the moment.

Ordered me some GPC and Uridine. All ready taking a lot of omega 3 and a B complex but will switch to a multi vitamin if need be for this to work. Was just wondering if any one had any suggestions that covered every thing I need Vitamin and mineral wise all in 1 multi?

Edited by Dale Taylor, 12 November 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#1559 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

Honestly, much of my cautionary admonishment early in the thread was to offset Mr. Happy's boundless enthusiasm for this substance, claims of curing Parkinson's based on one rat study and small human study, hard and fast recommendations, etc.

For my part, I'd be curious to try it, but have had almost 0 money available to spend on experimenting with new nootropics for the past year ;_; I haven't had the time to wade through this entire thread, but Mr Happy's posted some new studies in the first post, and there seems to be good indication of neurogenetic action. I'd have to read a lot more into the studies to guess whether this is clinically relevant in humans at these dosages, or if cognitive effects might be due to neurotransmitter modulation.

As for the safety, I really can't say. I feel that substances like piracetam can potentially be much safer to experiment with than essential nutrients, since they're relatively selective in their action, as opposed to interacting with fundamental metabolic processes. To take an example relevant to this topic, DHA and EPA can significantly increase your risk of stroke at fairly moderate dosages.

Sometimes my enthusiam needs to be checked. My earlier PD comments were very premature - 2 patents, 1 human study and 3 animal studies is not a cure, but it did indicate further research could be fruitful. I did notice that there has now been new interest and research into uridine vs PD, with results showing some promise for the early stages.

Here is a CINAPS dossier that is also worth reading (not just about PD) - http://www.ninds.nih...ine dossier.pdf

Also, it's interesting to note that there are papers that indicate moderate DHA consumption was associated with a 50% reduction in stroke risk for women.
http://www.dhaomega3...e-Risk-in-Women ..it's always fun when there are conflicting conclusions amongst articles.

I was also reading a journal article in Nature about a week back which demonstrated that ALA without exercise caused an increased risk of heart disease, however when combined with exercise had the exact opposite effect. Perhaps vaguely related concepts.

For your own experimentation needs, if you PM me your details, I'll send you a sample to play with when I get off my backside and send csrpj another sample (the first one disappeared in transit, probably owing to the 'suspicious white powder' qualities of the package and lack of return address.) :)
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1560 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

Thanks MrHappy for your work in this topic. I cant wait to try this out. I am an insomniac so will be nice to see what boost I get from this combo. Mind you my sleep is getting better as I'm doing acupuncture at the moment.

Ordered me some GPC and Uridine. All ready taking a lot of omega 3 and a B complex but will switch to a multi vitamin if need be for this to work. Was just wondering if any one had any suggestions that covered every thing I need Vitamin and mineral wise all in 1 multi?

Well.. you could try this one -
http://www.aor.ca/ht...ducts.php?id=96

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: choline, uridine, dha, omega-3, epa, ump, tau, b vitamins

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Topic Led By