* * * * * 4 votes

C60 Surprises - Anecdotes Of Unique Health Benefits

c60 cure solution remedy therapy improvement

• Please log in to reply
1023 replies to this topic

#781 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:45 PM

There are gray hairs on my arms that have black roots.

That's normal - the hairs turn grey from the tip towards the root.

Now if you mean that previously 100% gray hairs are turning black at the roots then we have indeed a repigmentation by reactivation of the follicular melanocytes.

You have it backwards -- "Gray hair starts deep inside the hair root with special cells called melanocytes, which your hair relies on for color."

From your link.

#782 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:04 PM

Interesting. How long has it taken for the darkening effect to manifest after you commenced C60 rubbing?

And would you say how old are you?

I take it internally. One teaspoon/day 0.08% solution made with SES reagent-grade and Target store brand extra light olive oil. I’m 53 years old. Been at it six or seven months now.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for C60 HEALTH to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above).

#783 cuprous

• 170 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:37 AM

Interesting. How long has it taken for the darkening effect to manifest after you commenced C60 rubbing?

I take it internally. One teaspoon/day 0.08% solution made with SES reagent-grade and Target store brand extra light olive oil. I’m 53 years old. Been at it six or seven months now.

What do you mean by 0.08% solution?  Typical, optimal C60 capacity to react with olive oil is around 0.6mg per ml of olive oil.

#784 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:46 AM

What do you mean by 0.08% solution?  Typical, optimal C60 capacity to react with olive oil is around 0.6mg per ml of olive oil.

Cupros --

V Wellness  sells a C60OO of 45 milligrams in 50 ml of Oil -- that is .9 mg per ml

A milliliter of water is a gram -- 1000 milligrams  -- of Olive oil it is closer to 900 milligrams (900 grams per liter)

.9 milligrams is nine out of 10,000 or .09% -- almost .1% in oil

Heisenburger was likely stating the C60OO he uses is 8 mg per ml. -- solution by weight would 7.2 mg per ml

Edited by sensei, 21 June 2015 - 12:51 AM.

#785 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:06 AM

My solution is 800 micrograms/milliliter, stirred for 14 days. Sensei has a point—olive oil and water don't have the same specific gravity, so I shouldn't really call it a 0.08% solution. Sloppy chemistry on my part.

Edited by Heisenburger, 21 June 2015 - 02:12 AM.

#786 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:12 AM

There are gray hairs on my arms that have black roots.

That's normal - the hairs turn grey from the tip towards the root.

Now if you mean that previously 100% gray hairs are turning black at the roots then we have indeed a repigmentation by reactivation of the follicular melanocytes.

You have it backwards -- "Gray hair starts deep inside the hair root with special cells called melanocytes, which your hair relies on for color."

From your link.

OK, wrong reference, I guess.

What I meant is that the tip is the oldest part of the hair and when a hair starts to gray it starts from the tip.

When the melanocytes shut off, it is the tip that lightens first, not the root.

All the 50% gray/50% normal hairs I have found on my body are like that (light tip and midsection /dark root and bottom section).

#787 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:35 AM

The idea that grey hair starts from the tip rather than the root doesn't exactly make intuitive sense, but I have a wild guess as to what's going on:  Maybe hair generally tends to lighten the longer it gets, due to the effect of UV, O2, and whatever other insults it suffers.  If the melanin level starts dropping off, then there is a low enough concentration that the melanin at the tip can get completely washed out before the hair falls out or is cut off. 

• Good Point x 1

#788 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:33 AM

What I meant is that the tip is the oldest part of the hair and when a hair starts to gray it starts from the tip.

No. Every hair on your head is dead, except for the root. If you cut it off, does it turn gray? No, so it isn't going to turn gray on your head either. Not until there's new growth, and that will be from the root out.

• Agree x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#789 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2015 - 03:08 PM

... it isn't going to turn gray on your head either. Not until there's new growth, and that will be from the root out.

IF what you said was correct, then the root would have grayed first yet it is the opposite.

#790 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 21 June 2015 - 03:32 PM

... it isn't going to turn gray on your head either. Not until there's new growth, and that will be from the root out.

IF what you said was correct, then the root would have grayed first yet it is the opposite.

If the tips of your hair are graying first, then it is because of sunlight or some other environmental cause. But your statement that "when the melanocytes shut off, it is the tip that lightens first, not the root," is certainty incorrect, and you are attributing an observation to melanocytes when it has another cause. I suspect it's also possible in some people that melanocytes are cycling with rest of the hair growth and turning on later, in which case you might observe the uncut tips being less pigmented.

• Good Point x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1

#791 cuprous

• 170 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 03:48 PM

If the tips of your hair are graying first, then it is because of sunlight or some other environmental cause. But your statement that "when the melanocytes shut off, it is the tip that lightens first, not the root," is certainty incorrect, and you are attributing an observation to melanocytes when it has another cause. I suspect it's also possible in some people that melanocytes are cycling with rest of the hair growth and turning on later, in which case you might observe the uncut tips being less pigmented.

Agree.  This is silly.  Turnbuckle is right - hair is dead.  Keratin is not biologically active.  Anything happening to hair once it is out of the follicle is the environment.  

#792 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:41 PM

Anything happening to hair once it is out of the follicle is the environment.  

I don't want to sound defensive and am honestly curious - why only some of the hairs turn gray when all of them are exposed to the same environmental factors?

#793 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:24 PM

Anything happening to hair once it is out of the follicle is the environment.  

I don't want to sound defensive and am honestly curious - why only some of the hairs turn gray when all of them are exposed to the same environmental factors?

Simple.

Your cells are not identical in structure nor age; nor are the cells acted on by exactly the same chemical or physical processes (concentration, timing, type). 

Due to the heterogeneity of the history of any particular cell, the cellular machinery that handles oxidation (we know greying is caused by un-managed H2O2 buildup) fails at different time for each cell.

#794 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:24 PM

Simple.

Your cells are not identical in structure nor age; nor are the cells acted on by exactly the same chemical or physical processes (concentration, timing, type). 

Due to the heterogeneity of the history of any particular cell, the cellular machinery that handles oxidation (we know greying is caused by un-managed H2O2 buildup) fails at different time for each cell.

An interesting paper--

Mature melanocytes are densely distributed in hair bulbs to sustain active melanogenesis that is strictly coupled to the anagen stage of the hair cycle [7]–[11]. Thus far, the precise mechanism(s) governing the synchrony of hair growth and melanin synthesis has remained largely unclear. Isolation and short-term co-culture of primary keratinocytes, melanocytes and dermal papilla fibroblasts derived from human scalp skin tissues are common strategies to dissect the regulation of anagen-coupled melanogenesis [12]–[14]...Graying hair offers a unique opportunity to study the uncoupling of melanin production with growth of the hair shaft [8]. Although deficient antioxidant activity was reported in human graying hair follicles [5], [6], it remains to be determined whether an impaired antioxidant defense in gray hair follicles simultaneously affects mature hair bulb melanocytes and their immature precursor cells in the bulge region, which would have a critical implication for restoring pigmentation to the affected gray hair.

In this study, we micro-dissected hair bulbs and mid-segments (corresponding to the bulge region) from unpigmented and from pigmented hair follicles isolated from the same human donors. The expression levels of genes encoding characteristic markers for mature melanocytes, melanocyte stem cells and keratinocyte stem cells in the hair bulbs and mid-segments were analyzed using quantitative real-time PCR (qRT-PCR) arrays and the anti-oxidative properties of these segmented hair follicle tissues was investigated in parallel using a range of techniques [16]. The results demonstrate that both mature hair bulb melanocytes and immature melanocyte precursor cells in the bulge region of gray hair follicles are depleted, at least to some extent, and those effects that could be ascribed to reduced levels of catalase protein and activity.

In my own experience, C60 stimulated hair growth but had no effect on color. Perhaps if you start too late and the melanocyte precursor cells are dead, there is no hope of bringing them back.

• Needs references x 1

#795 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:06 AM

I once read that one theory behind greying hair is that follicular melanocytes are the first cells in humans that reach the Hayflick limit. But I’ve never been able to find any literature that supports this. Anybody ever heard this before?

#796 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:36 AM

I once read that one theory behind greying hair is that follicular melanocytes are the first cells in humans that reach the Hayflick limit. But I’ve never been able to find any literature that supports this. Anybody ever heard this before?

Hayflick shouldn't apply because of the pool of melanocyte stem cells. However it appears that these stem cells are subject to depletion. See the following paper--

Somatic stem cell depletion due to the accumulation of DNA damage has been implicated in the appearance of aging-related phenotypes. Hair graying, a typical sign of aging in mammals, is caused by the incomplete maintenance of melanocyte stem cells (MSCs) with age. Here, we report that irreparable DNA damage, as caused by ionizing radiation, abrogates renewal of MSCs in mice. Surprisingly, the DNA-damage response triggers MSC differentiation into mature melanocytes in the niche, rather than inducing their apoptosis or senescence. The resulting MSC depletion leads to irreversible hair graying. Furthermore, deficiency of Ataxia-telangiectasia mutated (ATM), a central transducer kinase of the DNA-damage response, sensitizes MSCs to ectopic differentiation, demonstrating that the kinase protects MSCs from their premature differentiation by functioning as a “stemness checkpoint” to maintain the stem cell quality and quantity.

http://www.sciencedi...092867409003742 

Edited by Turnbuckle, 22 June 2015 - 02:38 AM.

• Informative x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1

#797 mikey

• Topic Starter
  • 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:47 PM

Hayflick shouldn't apply because of the pool of melanocyte stem cells. However it appears that these stem cells are subject to depletion. See the following paper--

Somatic stem cell depletion due to the accumulation of DNA damage has been implicated in the appearance of aging-related phenotypes. Hair graying, a typical sign of aging in mammals, is caused by the incomplete maintenance of melanocyte stem cells (MSCs) with age. Here, we report that irreparable DNA damage, as caused by ionizing radiation, abrogates renewal of MSCs in mice. Surprisingly, the DNA-damage response triggers MSC differentiation into mature melanocytes in the niche, rather than inducing their apoptosis or senescence. The resulting MSC depletion leads to irreversible hair graying. Furthermore, deficiency of Ataxia-telangiectasia mutated (ATM), a central transducer kinase of the DNA-damage response, sensitizes MSCs to ectopic differentiation, demonstrating that the kinase protects MSCs from their premature differentiation by functioning as a “stemness checkpoint” to maintain the stem cell quality and quantity.

From this wouldn't one think that grey or white hair cannot be reversed, Turnbuckle, yet I believe that I have experienced reversal - and this is according to friends.

Even a little brown color is appearing on the top of my head. I'm using C60 internally and externally, topical SOD-ases from Dr. Peter Proctor, topical high-dose biotin and then taking He Shou Wu, a Chinese herb formula that is supposed to darken grey hair, high dose PABA, which had interesting data from the 1940's, and paprika, which horse-people give to horses when they begin to grey and it returns color to their hair.

There's no control. It's a smorgasbord. But something is causing a slight brown color to join the darkened hair on top of my head, which was lighter/grayer a couple years ago.

Edited by mikey, 25 June 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#798 Huckfinn

• 103 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:41 PM

May I ask where you get the topical biotin?

#799 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:08 PM

From this wouldn't one think that grey or white hair cannot be reversed, Turnbuckle, yet I believe that I have experienced reversal - and this is according to friends.

Even a little brown color is appearing on the top of my head. I'm using C60 internally and externally, topical SOD-ases from Dr. Peter Proctor, topical high-dose biotin and then taking He Shou Wu, a Chinese herb formula that is supposed to darken grey hair, high dose PABA, which had interesting data from the 1940's, and paprika, which horse-people give to horses when they begin to grey and it returns color to their hair.

There's no control. It's a smorgasbord. But something is causing a slight brown color to join the darkened hair on top of my head, which was lighter/grayer a couple years ago.

Since the melanocyte cells appear to survive during the graying the correct supplement might make them "repairable" for some period of time

Reverse your graying!

Send to:
Int J Cosmet Sci. 2013 Dec;35(6):532-8. doi: 10.1111/ics.12090. Epub 2013 Oct 10.
Age-induced hair greying - the multiple effects of oxidative stress.
Abstract

An obvious sign of ageing is hair greying, or the loss of pigment production and deposition within the hair shafts. Numerous mechanisms, acting at different levels and follicular locations, contribute to hair greying, ranging from melanocyte stem cells defects to follicular melanocyte death. One key issue that is in common to these processes is oxidative damage. At the hair follicle stem cells niche, oxidative stress, accelerated by B-cell lymphoma 2 gene (BCL-2) depletion, leads to selective apoptosis and diminution of melanocyte stem cells, reducing the repopulation of newly formed anagen follicles. Melanotic bulbar melanocytes express high levels of BCL-2 to enable survival from melanogenesis- and ultraviolet A (UVA)-induced reactive oxygen species (ROS) attacks. With ageing, the bulbar melanocyte expression of anti-oxidant proteins such as BCL-2, and possibly TRP-2, is reduced, and the dedicated enzymatic anti-oxidant defence system throughout the follicle weakens, resulting in enhanced oxidative stress. A marked reduction in catalase expression and activity results in millimolar accumulation of hydrogen peroxide, contributing to bulbar melanocyte malfunction and death. Interestingly, amelanotic melanocytes at the outer root sheath (ORS) are somewhat less affected by these processes and survive for longer time even within the white, ageing hair follicles. Better understanding of the overtime susceptibility of melanocytes to oxidative stress at the different follicular locations might yield clues to possible therapies for the prevention and reversal of hair greying.

#800 mikey

• Topic Starter
  • 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:13 PM

May I ask where you get the topical biotin?

My biochemist father gave me about 10 ounces of pure powder and I just take it and mix it in vinegar and put it on my head. I work at home, so I can have "goop" all over my head all day.

I rotate different things applying them topically to my head. I decided to focus on this using everything I've seen to have some effect on hair health.

For instance, going back to the '40's high dose PABA was seen to darken hair.

Please see attachment.

I've been collecting data on this for years.

As to buying pure biotin powder, there are many cheap sources for it:

https://www.google.c..._sm=93&ie=UTF-8

http://www.bulksuppl...DCqoaAru78P8HAQ

However, I'd rate it rather low compared to other potential treatments. 

Once I run out of the powder my Dad gave me, I am not sure that I'll get more.

Attached Files

#801 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:48 PM

high dose PABA, which had interesting data from the 1940's, and paprika, which horse-people give to horses when they begin to grey and it returns color to their hair.

You might look younger yet age more quickly--

PABA is a competitive inhibitor of the CoQ(10) biosynthetic pathway enzyme, COQ2. PABA treatment (1 mM) resulted in a 54 % decrease (46 % residual CoQ(10)) decrease in neuronal CoQ(10) status (p < 0.01). Reduction of neuronal CoQ(10) status was accompanied by a progressive decrease in mitochondrial respiratory chain enzyme activities, with a 67.5 % decrease in cellular ATP production at 46 % residual CoQ(10). Mitochondrial oxidative stress increased four-fold at 77 % and 46 % residual CoQ(10).

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22767283

• Informative x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#802 Huckfinn

• 103 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:53 AM

Thanks Mikey.
Has any of you (which isn't Turnbuckle or Sensei) had any success in reversing thinning hair? Is it even possible?

#803 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:56 AM

I tried my first bottle of Carbon60oliveoil yesterday. Took a 10ml dose and went to the cinema for a late movie. Ate a ton of popcorn, rode my bike there and home, rode perhaps 20km during the entire day and worked for 8hours. But today I feel pretty good, not tired. Certainly nothing negative, but no striking difference from the Vaugther oil.

#804 mikey

• Topic Starter
  • 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:06 PM

high dose PABA, which had interesting data from the 1940's, and paprika, which horse-people give to horses when they begin to grey and it returns color to their hair.

You might look younger yet age more quickly--

PABA is a competitive inhibitor of the CoQ(10) biosynthetic pathway enzyme, COQ2. PABA treatment (1 mM) resulted in a 54 % decrease (46 % residual CoQ(10)) decrease in neuronal CoQ(10) status (p < 0.01). Reduction of neuronal CoQ(10) status was accompanied by a progressive decrease in mitochondrial respiratory chain enzyme activities, with a 67.5 % decrease in cellular ATP production at 46 % residual CoQ(10). Mitochondrial oxidative stress increased four-fold at 77 % and 46 % residual CoQ(10).

Can anyone translate this into what dose of PABA would cause problems with CoQ10 for oral human PABA dosing?

Without that information, while cautionary, this study has little meaning.

Most multivitamin formulas contain PABA and I find no data showing that "normal" multivitamin amounts of PABA or even relatively high dose PABA causes problems with CoQ10 metabolism.

Perhaps one of the chemists can determine how this translates to human oral dosing.

Edited by mikey, 26 June 2015 - 09:39 PM.

• like x 1

#805 mikey

• Topic Starter
  • 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:25 PM

Thanks Mikey.
Has any of you (which isn't Turnbuckle or Sensei) had any success in reversing thinning hair? Is it even possible?

I and a doctor friend have definitely experienced more hair count after taking antioxidants, whose mechanism of action might be to interfere with superoxide's effect on causing hair follicle dysfunction.

There is one published study that showed ~34% better hair count after taking Tocomin Suprabio tocotrienols for eight months.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....lsr-21-2-91.pdf

The doctor and I both have had numerous people remark that our hair appeared to be "thicker" after about 5 months of taking these antioxidants.

I was surprised because I began to take them because there is data showing a protective effect for the prostate and some benefits for blood lipids. I didn't expect thicker hair as a result.

Several people volunteered amazement at the appearance of our "thicker" hair without prompting, so our mutual experiences were quite convincing.

People on Longecity have also noted that C60oo both taken internally and applied topically have improved the thickness or growth of their hair. Turnbuckle, for one, noted hair re-growth on a bald spot on the crown of his head, I believe after taking C60oo orally, but he can provide more details.

There is also a rat study showing C60oo improving hair re-growth.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/19223242 

#806 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:31 PM

Can anyone translate this into what dose of PABA would cause problems with CoQ10 for oral human PABA dosing?

Most multivitamin formulas contain PABA and I find no data showing that "normal" multivitamin amounts of PABA or even relatively high dose PABA causes problems with CoQ10 metabolism.

Perhaps one of the chemists can determine how this translates to human oral dosing.

I found a Volume of Distribution of PABA in humans (in PMID 3875462) of0.376L/kg.  The MW of PABA is 137g/m.  This was an in vitro experiment where cells were soaked in 1 mM PABA, so let's calculate the dose required to reach 1mM in plasma for a 70 kg man:

.001 m/L * (.376 L/kg) * 70 kg * (137g/m) = 3.6 grams.

I imagine you're taking a lot less PABA than 3.6 g.  There wouldn't be any harm in supplementing CoQ10, just to be on the safe side.

• Informative x 3

#807 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:14 PM

I imagine you're taking a lot less PABA than 3.6 g.  There wouldn't be any harm in supplementing CoQ10, just to be on the safe side.

Pearson and Shaw seem to be taking PABA in that neighborhood. Maybe that's why they look so ancient.

Pearson and Shaw reported they consumed as much as three grams of PABA per day...

Dr. Chris Zarafonetis (1964) of Temple University followed these investigations with a report that described 5 cases of dramatic hair color change and hair regrowth in 20 patients who presented with markedly gray hair, who were taking 6-24 grams of PABA per day for other conditions. The hair color changes were serendipitous results of this therapy. Zarafonetis concluded that consumption of 6-24 grams of PABA per day for at least 6 weeks restored the natural hair color of 25% of people with markedly gray hair.

• Off-Topic x 1

#808 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

Just started c60 3.5mlgrams a week two weeks ago. I'm 29 years old. Can't say I've felt or seen any effects yet. I couldn't sleep the night I took the first dose. This could have been because I'm abroad and its quite hot where I am. I went drinking last night and alcohol had the same effect as always no difference there. My skin seems dry recently but that could also be change of climate. I've seen no other effect on my skin beside that. I've got 200ml of the stuff so will continue to take it until its run out then decide if I'm going to repurchase.

#809 mikey

• Topic Starter
  • 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:29 AM

I found a Volume of Distribution of PABA in humans (in PMID 3875462) of0.376L/kg.  The MW of PABA is 137g/m.  This was an in vitro experiment where cells were soaked in 1 mM PABA, so let's calculate the dose required to reach 1mM in plasma for a 70 kg man:

.001 m/L * (.376 L/kg) * 70 kg * (137g/m) = 3.6 grams.

I've been taking a gram a day. I also take 200 mg of ubiquinol, 40 mg of PQQ and 10 mg of MitoQ.

#810 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:27 AM

Back on the C60 daily for the past 2-3 weeks or so.

Already notice smoother skin.

Worked through probably 400-500 milligrams.  I'm using my homemade C60OO.

Just made up another 230 mg/300 ml batch yesterday -- I crushed well with spoon against inside of mason jar. Nice purple magenta with very little sediment after only 2 days.

Will start another duplicate batch tomorrow.

Edited by sensei, 08 July 2015 - 01:28 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c60, cure, solution, remedy, therapy, improvement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users