• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Can you make up your omega3/6 ratio with fish oil?

omega 3 omega 6 fish oil balance

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

It seems that an optimal balance between omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids in the body has a potent effect on overall health. As I really don't like the taste of fish, and am not a great cook anyway, I was wondering if it is possible to make this ratio favourable by drinking a large amount of fish oil daily? If so, what would this amount be? If not, I guess I'd just make myself eat lots of fish... do you know of the best sources of omega 3s in different fish species, if theres much of difference? Thanks

#2 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

The best fish are smaller fish , wild caught from less polluted areas. Salmon, sardines, and anchovies are generally ok.
Why not also take a fish oil supplement? If they are good quality ( like Nordic Naturals ), they are free from mercury and pcb's, something the fish you eat may not be.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 DePaw

• 239 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

It's better to reduce omega-6 than increase omega-3 to get a good ratio.
  • like x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:42 AM

Yeah, what DePaw said. Try to avoid the industrial seed oils that are common in processed food. Use good fats that have little or no omega-6, like olive oil (which is good for other reasons as well) or coconut oil. You should certainly not drink large amounts of fish oil. It's highly oxidation-prone, and getting too much of it isn't good. Getting too little isn't good either. You should both reduce your omega 6 consumption and take 1-2 grams of fish oil daily.

#5 AnahimSkywalker

• 29 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:24 PM

First, get a good background and then decide. I recommend KRILL OIL plus SUNFLOWER LECITHIN. Background info regarding these topics https://avanaturals....-get-rid-of-fat

#6 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:52 PM

There is a whole wikipedia page on omega 3 to 6 ratios in common foods. Walnuts and Macadamias win as far as the best options in the nut category. Certain veggies like carrots have very high amounts of omega 6 while spinach has higher omega 3 than 6. Search it. I basically use flaxseed, wild caught salmon and fish oil to offset all this. Also I think avocados have high omega 3s too. Don't forget that PUFAs as a whole have the problem of lipid peroxidation, so while omega 6s are high in Almonds and less so in Walnuts, the amount is pretty low, they're mostly monounsaturated fats, combining those gives you a good gamma/alpha tocopherol dose to take care of that oxidation issue. It's a difficult thing to balance and achieve, I do my best.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: omega 3, omega 6, fish, oil, balance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users