• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Mechanism of action: idebenone versus alcohol?

idebenone alcohol

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jefferson Greene

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

About 6 weeks ago I started taking idebenone, initially at around 100mg per day then up to 300mg, and now 1000mg (separated into two 500mg doses). I'm pretty anal about changing only one thing at a time, because I've been caught chasing my tail many times before by trying out different supplements simultaneously. The most obvious effect was that whenever I consumed alcohol it no longer seemed to get me "drunk" in the same way-- I was still able to think very clearly. My tolerance was obviously higher, and it completely prevented a hangover.

The other things I noticed were significant, but not as unusual: Idebenone puts me in a better mood (the best description would be "more optimistic"); Idebenone seems to completely prevent soreness after weight lifting, and it seems to help me think a little bit clearer in general (maybe just a result of a more positive outlook). I've found anecdotal reports online from multiple people about all of these affects. But I haven't found anything about idebenone and alcohol.

Now, a couple important points: I'm 30 years old, so it's not like I just starting drinking. Also, I'm not a heavy drinker, but pre-idebenone I've always got hangovers that were much worse than those around me even for normal "dinner and drinks" types of nights.

Can anyone help me understand what might be going on here? I don't really understand enough about how alcohol affects the brain (or liver) to even come up with a guess. Is the idebenone just doing a good job of preventing oxidative stress?

The reason that I'm interested in figuring this out has nothing to do with alcohol, I'm interested in the "bigger picture" of what might be going on behind the scenes, as I'd like to focus my efforts in that direction.. i.e., if the reason that this is working for me so well is because it's quenching free radicals between phase I->II in the liver, then maybe my phase II is slow and I could look into that. I have never noticed this much of an affect from a supplement before, and I find it particularly interesting that no one else seems to be having similar results.

#2 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:03 AM

idebenone is extremely hard to buy in proper doses on a good price on the internet. where the hell did you buy yours from ?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Jefferson Greene

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

idebenone is extremely hard to buy in proper doses on a good price on the internet. where the hell did you buy yours from ?

I got my 500mg capsules from smartpowders.com -- they were still expensive, but cheaper than I could find elsewhere. Looks like they are currently sold out.

#4 MizTen

• 261 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

Idebenone is one of my favorite nootropics. I originally started taking it as a safeguard against hypoxia while taking ubiquinol (in the event of a stroke, having witnessed this happen in someone else).

But it does have many other positive effects, the biggest for me being a modulating effect on some of less desirable effects of other noots. The other positives that the op mentioned I have also experienced.

As far as alcohol and idebenone, I can't really say for sure how this would work for me. I am sceptical of using alcohol in almost any quantity or frequency while taking noots. Since alcohol is mostly neurotoxic and some nootropics increase the permeability of cell walls it seems like a bad idea for me. But it might be an interesting experiment if the only noot I was taking was idebenone.

From the op's account it definitely sounds like idebenone might be neuro-protective with alcohol.

That said, I am not encouraging anyone into yet another of the scary brain experiments we often see around here, especially in recent threads. The kind that are done to make chemical abuses such as alcohol “safer”...

I got mine from NSN.

#5 Justchill

• 315 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

subscribed to learn more sources. I used to take the yellow/black brand.. now they don't sell it anymore..

#6 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

Idebenone is one of my favorite nootropics. I originally started taking it as a safeguard against hypoxia while taking ubiquinol (in the event of a stroke, having witnessed this happen in someone else).

But it does have many other positive effects, the biggest for me being a modulating effect on some of less desirable effects of other noots. The other positives that the op mentioned I have also experienced.

As far as alcohol and idebenone, I can't really say for sure how this would work for me. I am sceptical of using alcohol in almost any quantity or frequency while taking noots. Since alcohol is mostly neurotoxic and some nootropics increase the permeability of cell walls it seems like a bad idea for me. But it might be an interesting experiment if the only noot I was taking was idebenone.

From the op's account it definitely sounds like idebenone might be neuro-protective with alcohol.

That said, I am not encouraging anyone into yet another of the scary brain experiments we often see around here, especially in recent threads. The kind that are done to make chemical abuses such as alcohol “safer”...

I got mine from NSN.

whats NSN ? tnx for deliberately making this difficult by abbrevations...

#7 MizTen

• 261 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

NSN is New Star Nootropics. My use of the abbreviation was not intended to make things difficult for the reader. It was intended to avoid an unintended promotion (or the appearance of such) of a commercial product and company on this message board, which is sponsored by a non-profit organization.

It can really mess up any credibility in user reports when people are posting reports with the supplier's name front and center. Reducing the credibility of such reports even more is the practice of some nootropic companies of giving a customer a discount on future orders for posting a positive review of the nootropic with mention of the company's name.

Edited by MizTen, 16 November 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#8 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'm having problems parsing your sentence (above) - are you suggesting that ubiquinol increases risk for hypoxia or stroke, and one should guard against it with idebenone?

In your experience, what does idebenone offer, than you didn't/ don't get from ubiquinol?

#9 MizTen

• 261 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

I'm having problems parsing your sentence (above) - are you suggesting that ubiquinol increases risk for hypoxia or stroke, and one should guard against it with idebenone?

In your experience, what does idebenone offer, than you didn't/ don't get from ubiquinol?

Yes, it wasn't clear, I didn't add supporting sources, and I made a red flag statement.

CO-Q 10 should not cause a stroke, but if hypoxia is occuring as a result of stroke, shock, cardiac event, ubiquinone or ubiquinol can become pro-oxidant.

http://internaf.org/...enone_desc.html

“ Idebenone shares its traits with Coenzyme Q10. Like Coenzyme Q10 is might be useful for aging. It differs from it in some important ways, which may make it more useful. Under certain circumstances, Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) may become a pro-oxidant. These circumstances are conditions in which hypoxia or lack of oxygen occurs. In cases of shock, heart attack, stroke, or poor circulation, CoQ10 auto-oxidizes and unleashes massive amounts of various free radicals that damage delicate tissues and because CoQ10 is necessary for electron transport and ATP (chemical energy) production, cellular death may ensue. Idebenone, on the other hand, suppresses free radicals and continues ATP production in hypoxic situations. This may make it a useful supplement for individuals at risk for those conditions.”

This link has a list of studies on idebenone:

http://www.idebenone.info/

It appears that idebenone could replace CO-Q-10 altogether. Personally I take both.

From what I have seen and read, I would never give CO-Q-10 to someone at risk for hypoxia without also giving a sizeable dose of idebenone. Since the conditions (cardiovascular disease especially) that trigger hypoxia may be unknown and unseen, thus not diagnosed, it would probably be wise for anyone taking CO-Q-10 to also take idebenone.

The doctor (extraordinarily ethical and open-minded) who recommended CO-Q-10 for the patient, a friend of mine, did some checking after the my friend's fatal stroke event and learned about this risk. So now the doctor will not recommend CO-Q-10 to any patient without accompanying idebenone. My friend, who had CVD, died in my arms about 20 minutes after his daily dose of 400 mg of CO-Q-10. Had my friend been taking idebenone with the CO-Q-10 he might very well have survived his stroke without significant neurological damage.

Idebenone has other significant benefits aside from the protection it provides against free radical damage in the brain and heart. I see it as a powerful nootropic due to it's other effects.

#10 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

NSN is New Star Nootropics. My use of the abbreviation was not intended to make things difficult for the reader. It was intended to avoid an unintended promotion (or the appearance of such) of a commercial product and company on this message board, which is sponsored by a non-profit organization.

It can really mess up any credibility in user reports when people are posting reports with the supplier's name front and center. Reducing the credibility of such reports even more is the practice of some nootropic companies of giving a customer a discount on future orders for posting a positive review of the nootropic with mention of the company's name.

i was on that site and they sell bulk powders of questionable quality. each time a site sells bulk powder of patented non generic nootropics, i question the quality. for example, noopept is known to be sold as bulk powder all over the web and its always fake because to this day, the company that created it has not given any right to anyone else to synthesize it and sell it.
thanks for the info anyway

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:01 AM

iherb has it
http://www.iherb.com...-Capsules/38856

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: idebenone, alcohol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users