Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#1651 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:52 PM

midas

"Lawrence, I'm not sure I have ever seen any claims that Niagen (Nr)

has any effect on Arthritis especially when it comes to curing it? I think you are asking a bit much there!"

When I was on NMN, the arthritis in my knuckles began to clear in the 3rd week.  By the 3rd month all of the arthritis in every joint in my body had cleared.  That was the same experience for 3 other members of our NMN group that also had arthritis.  When I went off the NMN, the arthritis started to come back after about a month and after 1 year of no NMN, it had returned to all of the joints that were previously affected but not to the pre-NMN degree of pain and stiffness.  After 1 year of no NMN, I tried Niagen for 3 months.  After 3 months I did not notice any clearing of arthritis from any of my joints.  After the 3 months on Niagen I restarted my NMN regimen.  Once again by the 3rd week I noticed that the arthritis had started clearing from my joints and by the 3rd month the arthritis had once again cleared from every joint in my body.

The reason I expected NR to work on arthritis is because NMN had cleared the arthritis from every joint in my body.

I think what you are saying is that when using NMN you didn't have any discomfort from the arthritis. When you stopped using NMN the discomfort re-appeared. I guess it never cured it. Neither would I expect NR to cure it. If I recall well there was a significant dosing difference between your NR use an restart of NMN. Perhaps thats the issue. Did you get diagnose that you truly have the illness? My mom has it severely and she has good benefits of curcumin and the NR keep her strong(er).

Edited by stefan_001, 02 April 2018 - 08:56 PM.

• like x 1

#1652 LawrenceW

• 402 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:01 PM

Stephan.

Yes I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis about 6 years ago.  At that time, the doctor said that we would have to watch my right hip closely as I could end up as a candidate for hip replacement. 

• Informative x 2

#1653 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:51 PM

Stephan.

Yes I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis about 6 years ago.  At that time, the doctor said that we would have to watch my right hip closely as I could end up as a candidate for hip replacement. 

then if NMN takes the discomfort away I recommend to keep using it.

Edited by stefan_001, 02 April 2018 - 09:53 PM.

• Agree x 6

#1654 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:44 PM

And another update on my n=1 NR trial in Japan:

1) My friend in Tokyo accidently gave her mother with dementia 250 mg of NR at night but the mother asked: "Aren't these morning pills"? which surprised her for remembering that and said that wouldn't have happened a month ago. Still, the mother needs to be told what day it is even though her walk is "much better" than before taking NR two months ago .

2) My friend was also excited about what she recently experienced after a month of taking 125 mg of NR a day. (BMI of 19) She said she walks to work and every so often has to run up a hill if getting late. That happened two days ago but instead of feeling her heart pound and momentarily out of breath when she reached the top: "My heart didn't pound like before - I couldn't believe it!"

Edited by bluemoon, 06 April 2018 - 08:10 PM.

• like x 4

#1655 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:32 PM

Here are my two cholestoral levels:

August 2016: 240, where it has been for at least 20 years.

(I started to take 125 mg of NR in November 2016 and then 250 mg of NR from January 2017.)

February 2018: 197 with a decrease in HDL by 5 points, the rest of the decrease in LDL

I think the lower HDL was due to lack of exercise from October to February. 

#1656 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:53 PM

Here are my two cholestoral levels:

August 2016: 240, where it has been for at least 20 years.

(I started to take 125 mg of NR in November 2016 and then 250 mg of NR from January 2017.)

February 2018: 197 with a decrease in HDL by 5 points, the rest of the decrease in LDL

I think the lower HDL was due to lack of exercise from October to February.

It is consistent with what I have seen. NR doesn’t impact HDL. Only lowers LDL.

#1657 jjnz

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:10 AM

LDL cholesterol can vary by that much even on a daily basis. Not to rain on anyone’s parade but a quick trip to http://cholesterolcode.com/ will demonstrate that people who take 5-10 cholesterol measurements per day see quite large variations in ldl and triglycerides.
My average ldl has not changed in 2 years of 500mg NR/pterostilbene. The only changes I noticed in this period that I can quantify ,were due to diet (fats)
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1658 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:17 AM

LDL cholesterol can vary by that much even on a daily basis. Not to rain on anyone’s parade but a quick trip to http://cholesterolcode.com/ will demonstrate that people who take 5-10 cholesterol measurements per day see quite large variations in ldl and triglycerides.
My average ldl has not changed in 2 years of 500mg NR/pterostilbene. The only changes I noticed in this period that I can quantify ,were due to diet (fats)

LDL changes throughout the day. But fasting LDL is very consistent. My fasting LDL stayed the same for 5 years until i started NR.

I know why your LDL didn’t change. The reason is pterostilbene increases LDL. Pterostilbene cancels out the good effect of Niagen on LDL at least. I think pterostilbene cancels out more benefits than just LDL.

Do another fasting LDL test and take NR only for 3 months and Check again. If your LDL is over 200, you will see the effects.
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#1659 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:27 AM

40 points in the course of a day? I've never seen my cholestrol lower than 240 in the past 20 years so this surprised me. 

#1660 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:28 AM

https://clinicaltria...t=X4301256#othr

Here is the clinical trial that showed 100mg and 250mg pterostilbene increased LDL 20 points and blood pressure by 7.

Elysium is fooling people by adding pterostilbene into NR and reduce the benefit people could have gotten from NR alone. Even the NR in Basis is adultered according to FDA regulations.
  • Informative x 1

#1661 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:31 AM

40 points in the course of a day? I've never seen my cholestrol lower than 240 in the past 20 years so this surprised me.

Everyone knows testing LDL only under over night fasting. What kind of people would want to test LDL after a meal?

#1662 jjnz

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:39 AM

Yep, have a look at some of the experiments.

Everyone knows testing LDL only under over night fasting. What kind of people would want to test LDL after a meal?

Read the site !

#1663 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:50 AM

Cholestrol fluuctuating almost 20% over a day has been shown in studies.

After a 60 second search I found: 

"Cholesterol levels can fluctuate as much as 10 percent from one month to another due to normal metabolism, but other factors may cause it to fluctuate as well."

Also, I'm not saying my drop was due only to NR but those are my before and after levels for what it is worth. 

• Informative x 1

#1664 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:03 AM

I don’t think that site is credible. If you don’t do massive changes in diet and exercise, your LDL stays pretty much constant from one year to another.
  • Ill informed x 4
  • Needs references x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#1665 jjnz

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:28 AM

Lol, hundreds of bio hackers taking near hourly cholesterol readings at their own expense to flesh out mechanisms we have always taken for granted. No one is making claims, just observations, read around. Feldman is gaining notoriety for his credibility and that’s why he got others involved in replicating his experiments.

#1666 jjnz

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:33 AM

The point is people do make changes in their exercise and diet on a daily basis and it does play out in cholesterol readings, There seems to be a lot more to cholesterol reverse transport than we knew before these fine grained measurements were made by biohackers. If that lacks credibility then so does everything we observe here ,without metrics

#1667 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:34 AM

Lol, hundreds of bio hackers taking near hourly cholesterol readings at their own expense to flesh out mechanisms we have always taken for granted. No one is making claims, just observations, read around. Feldman is gaining notoriety for his credibility and that’s why he got others involved in replicating his experiments.

What does that prove? People don’t hack their diet just to get fake LDL results. Fasting LDL does indicate your metabolic health.
  • Needs references x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#1668 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:37 AM

The point is people do make changes in their exercise and diet on a daily basis and it does play out in cholesterol readings, There seems to be a lot more to cholesterol reverse transport than we knew before these fine grained measurements were made by biohackers. If that lacks credibility then so does everything we observe here ,without metrics

I have made changes to exercise and diet constantly over the years and it has not changed my LDL much at all.

Everyone I know that takes NR and track their LDL reported lower LDL. I would like to hear from people who has higher than 200 LDL and it went higher after taking NR.

Edited by MikeDC, 10 April 2018 - 01:49 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#1669 TMNMK

• 170 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:14 PM

Hey everyone, I happened across an interesting site that uses trained ANN's (artificial neural networks) to help determine age based on blood tests, pictures, and that sort of thing that I thought might be interesting for some folks here to use if looking to see if you are achieving results from NR.

Insilico Medicine has a site: https://young.ai

I can't speak to how accurate their system is, but good ANN's can be quite remarkable in their accuracy if well (but not over) trained with a broad set of training data.

I'm 43 years old and I provided my latest blood test from a couple months ago and a picture of my face. It put my picture at 39 years old and my blood results at 32 years old (I'll take that win). I've been using NR for several years now having started at 250mg, worked my way up to half a gram pretty quickly and have been on between 1g-2g for quite awhile. I've tried multiple different methods of administration (oral, sublingual, intranasal, etc)

Thought that might be useful if people have pictures and blood tests they want to upload. You can also upload transcriptome samples and urine tests as well as specific photos of eye, hand, full body. It will also let you upload voice and video surprisingly.

How well can a blood test and a picture correlate with age? I have my doubts, but it is nonetheless another tool in the chest.

Edited by TMNMK, 12 April 2018 - 01:26 PM.

• Informative x 1

#1670 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:27 PM

How well can a blood test and a picture correlate with age? I have my doubts, but it is nonetheless another tool in the chest.

Just in case, also discussed here:

https://www.longecit...biological-age/

• like x 1

#1671 TMNMK

• 170 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:35 PM

Just in case, also discussed here:

https://www.longecit...biological-age/

Ah thanks for pointing that out, I didn't see that!

#1672 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

It said that judging by my picture alone. I look 44
I am 58
but my brain has gone

#1673 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:35 PM

I got 40 for one picture and another for 60. Not very reliable.
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1674 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:23 PM

Last week I have been forced for the first time to proof my age with my photo ID in an official event after security became suspicious I was an imposter.

• like x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#1675 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:02 PM

April 19 update:

My friend's 73 year old mother in Tokyo, who is recovering from a concussion and has been taking 250 mg of NR for two months, went bowling a few days ago with my friend and her sister. My friend and her mother threw the ball together and scored a 10. Not a strike, as that score was over ten frames. Still, better than the 7 I would have gotten. 

The mother has gone to walking in water therapy since she was in the hospital in November and December but my friend said the major changes started after taking NR although she knows that it might be a coincidence. My guess is that NR has helped along with natural healing and therapy.

We'll get clues once the Mayo Clinic / U of Minnesota trial results are published but the trial ends in June 2019 so publication is 2 years away. The U of Texas of trial on cognitive function ends this December so likely a 2020 publication as well. 

Edited by bluemoon, 19 April 2018 - 02:03 PM.

• like x 2
  • Informative x 1

#1676 ledgf

• 40 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:24 PM

Watch for the Aarhus trial on Type 2 diabetes, it should be out any time:

https://clinicaltria...namide riboside

• Informative x 1

#1677 nikolay

• 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:01 PM

Wow! 2g per day?!

#1678 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:16 PM

Not diabetes. Just obese. 2g is a over kill. The University of Washington study showed 1g is enough to cause saturated NAD+.

#1679 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:00 PM

Why should we be expecting a publication soon? The study was completed last April but if a study is published, that could still take until the end of the year.

By the way, is Chromadex going to release its 140 person trial results anytime soon? 

Edited by bluemoon, 20 April 2018 - 06:04 PM.

#1680 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:03 PM

Not diabetes. Just obese. 2g is a over kill. The University of Washington study showed 1g is enough to cause saturated NAD+.

But that trial didn't go on long enough to know whether NAD+ levels drop as 500 mg did in the Elysium study sometime between 4 and 8 weeks.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By