• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Supplements to avoid for prostate cancer?

prostate cancer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 j87

• 52 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:42 AM

My dad has high psa and is getting tested for cancer soon. He's already on finasteride. I have come up with a regimen of vitamins/supplements for him to take, I want to avoid any that could potentially cause harm. While antioxidants are fine for normal people, should they be avoided for people with cancer? I have read about high doses of vitamin e, selenium, and folate "feeding" cancer that is pre-existing.  
I've decided to avoid resveratrol and quercetin because of the post "Caution -- Resveratrol + Quercetin may promote Prostate Cancer," I have also decide to avoid curcumin (for the time being, until it is determined what type of cancer he has), due to the study "Curcumin impairs tumor suppressor p53 function in colon cancer cells"

This is the regimen I've come up with. I'm not trying to over do antioxidants, everything is at normal dose (no mega dosing anything). Should the antioxidants be avoided for people who have cancer? Let me know if I should avoid any of these or add anything, thanks in advance.

selenium (mixed forms selenomethionine, sodium selenite, selenocysteine)
k complex (k, k2 both forms)
vitamin C (1g)
vitamin D3 (5000iu)
Mixed tocopherols & tocotrienols
magnesium
sulforaphane
fish oil
boron
lycopene
pomegranite extract (standardized punicalagins)
ubinquinol (50mg)
NAC
ECGC
astaxanthin
DIM (100mg)

Edited by j87, 13 April 2015 - 08:45 AM.

#2 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:06 AM

There is a big thread about cancer and supplements on this forum somewhere. You should take a look at it.

I would start with fasting, exercise and meditation. Followed by blueberries, turmeric, pomegranate, apples and so on. Eaten in their natural form.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

There is a big thread about cancer and supplements on this forum somewhere. 

Here is one such thread Cancer Knowledge

#4 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:04 PM

These may be helpful:

http://www.lef.org/P...-Cancer/Page-01

http://www.lef.org/P...vention/Page-01

#5 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:53 AM

Folic Acid would be at the top of the list of supplements to avoid. This does not include other forms of folate.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22240654

Overall cancer incidence was not reported in the seven observational studies. Prostate cancer was the only cancer type found to be increased after folic acid supplementation (meta-analyses of six RCTs).

• Agree x 1

#6 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

Capsaicin

And, Lycopene may enhance Capsaicin.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 jondoeuk

• 64 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:32 AM

Several animal studies found that MCP helped reduce the spread of prostate, breast, and skin cancer. Animals with these types of cancer that were fed MCP had a much lower risk of the tumor spreading to the lungs. For example, one study examined the effects of MCP on lung metastases from melanoma cells. Researchers injected mice with melanoma cells. In the mice that were also given MCP, significantly fewer tumors spread to the lungs than in the mice that did not receive the drug. When lung tumors did develop in the mice treated with MCP, the tumors tended to be smaller than those that formed in untreated animals.

These studies appear to show that MCP makes it difficult for cancer cells that break off from the main tumor to join together and grow in other organs. However, in most animal studies, MCP had no effect on the main tumor, suggesting that it may only be useful for preventing or slowing the growth of metastatic tumors in very early stages of development.

Recent laboratory studies of human and animal cells have provided information on how MCP might slow the spread of cancer. MCP appears to attach to galectin-3, a common chemical in many cells. Galectin-3 is present in abnormally high levels in many cancers and plays an important role in the growth, survival, and spread of cancer cells.

Although animal and cell studies are quite encouraging, very little information is available about whether MCP is effective in humans. In one published clinical trial, 10 men with prostate cancer were treated with MCP after standard treatment failed. In 7 of these men, blood tests found prostate-specific antigen (PSA, a marker of prostate cancer growth). Their PSA doubling time (a measure of how fast PSA goes up) improved in comparison with measurements done before taking MCP, indicating that MCP may have a slowing effect on the cancer's growth. This study had no control group (in this case, a group of men who did not take MCP), which limits the strength of its conclusions on MCP's effectiveness. It also did not measure survival or other important endpoints. However, taken with the information gained from animal studies, it suggests that MCP may have a role in reducing the growth and spread of cancer. Randomized controlled trials looking at larger groups of people must be done before any firmer conclusions can be reached

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/14663471

#8 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:12 AM

If you feel experimental, Graphene Oxide.

Graphene oxide selectively targets cancer stem cells, across multiple tumor types: Implications for non-toxic cancer treatment, via “differentiation-based nano-therapy”

PDF | HTML

Marco Fiorillo1,2,3, Andrea F. Verre4, Maria Iliut4, Maria Peiris-Pagés1,2, Bela Ozsvari1,2, Ricardo Gandara1,2, Anna Rita Cappello3, Federica Sotgia1,2, Aravind Vijayaraghavan4 and Michael P. Lisanti1,2

1 The Manchester Centre for Cellular Metabolism (MCCM), Institute of Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester, UK

2 The Breakthrough Breast Cancer Research Unit, Institute of Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester, UK

3 The Department of Pharmacy, Health and Nutritional Sciences, The University of Calabria, Italy

4 School of Materials and National Graphene Institute, University of Manchester, UK

Correspondence:

Michael P. Lisanti, email: michael.lisanti@manchester.ac.uk

Aravind Vijayaraghavan, email: aravind@manchester.ac.uk

Keywords: nanomaterials, graphene oxide, cancer stem cells, multiple cancer types: breast, ovarian

Received: January 01, 2015 Accepted: February 12, 2015 Published: February 24, 2015

Abstract

Tumor-initiating cells (TICs), a.k.a. cancer stem cells (CSCs), are difficult to eradicate with conventional approaches to cancer treatment, such as chemo-therapy and radiation. As a consequence, the survival of residual CSCs is thought to drive the onset of tumor recurrence, distant metastasis, and drug-resistance, which is a significant clinical problem for the effective treatment of cancer. Thus, novel approaches to cancer therapy are needed urgently, to address this clinical need. Towards this end, here we have investigated the therapeutic potential of graphene oxide to target cancer stem cells. Graphene and its derivatives are well-known, relatively inert and potentially non-toxic nano-materials that form stable dispersions in a variety of solvents. Here, we show that graphene oxide (of both big and small flake sizes) can be used to selectively inhibit the proliferative expansion of cancer stem cells, across multiple tumor types. For this purpose, we employed the tumor-sphere assay, which functionally measures the clonal expansion of single cancer stem cells under anchorage-independent conditions. More specifically, we show that graphene oxide effectively inhibits tumor-sphere formation in multiple cell lines, across 6 different cancer types, including breast, ovarian, prostate, lung and pancreatic cancers, as well as glioblastoma (brain). In striking contrast, graphene oxide is non-toxic for “bulk” cancer cells (non-stem) and normal fibroblasts. Mechanistically, we present evidence that GO exerts its striking effects on CSCs by inhibiting several key signal transduction pathways (WNT, Notch and STAT-signaling) and thereby inducing CSC differentiation. Thus, graphene oxide may be an effective non-toxic therapeutic strategy for the eradication of cancer stem cells, via differentiation-based nano-therapy.

#9 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:28 PM

I am not sure I posted this already but it looks to me a good check list and nice review. I personally take some of the nutrients. Something which came up to a surprise to me is vitamin C but I never went the mega-doses path so I might be well into the sweet spot of the curve. I liked the point on "U shaped" curves, likely good to be reminded for anything right?

Nutrition, dietary interventions and prostate cancer: the latest evidence

Abstract
Prostate cancer (PCa) remains a leading cause of mortality in US men and the prevalence continues to rise world-wide especially in countries
where men consume a ‘Western-style’ diet. Epidemiologic, preclinical and clinical studies suggest a potential role for dietary intake on the
incidence and progression of PCa. 'This minireview provides an overview of recent published literature with regard to nutrients, dietary
factors, dietary patterns and PCa incidence and progression. Low carbohydrates intake, soy protein, omega-3 (w-3) fat, green teas,
tomatoes and tomato products and zyflamend showed promise in reducing PCa risk or progression. A higher saturated fat
intake anda higher β-carotene status may increase risk. A ‘U’ shape relationship may exist between folate, vitamin C, vitamin
D and calcium with PCa risk.
Despite the inconsistent and inconclusive findings, the potential for a role of dietary intake for the prevention
and treatment of PCa is promising. The combination of all the beneficial factors for PCa risk reduction in a healthy dietary pattern may be the
best dietary advice. This pattern includes rich fruits and vegetables, reduced refined carbohydrates, total and saturated fats, and reduced
cooked meats. Further carefully designed prospective trials are warranted.

http://www.biomedcen...1741-7015/13/3/

• Informative x 1

#10 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:23 AM

I have seen enough papers on tumorigenesis and ROS to believe that many, perhaps most cancers, can be counter-acted with mitochondrial antioxidants.

#11 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:59 AM

Folic Acid would be at the top of the list of supplements to avoid. This does not include other forms of folate.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22240654

Overall cancer incidence was not reported in the seven observational studies. Prostate cancer was the only cancer type found to be increased after folic acid supplementation (meta-analyses of six RCTs).

I agree on this and I am very cautions when going to try and reduce e.g. homocysteine using even other-than-folic acid forms such l-methyfolate (I err here really on the safety site even if evidence is probably lacking). It looks like folic acid has a kind a double role in cancer: on one side you seem to have a protective role before the appearance of cancerous cells (e.g in the colon cancer) but on the other side it seems feeding with nutrients and promoting proliferation of precancerous cells after their appearance (e.g. prostate and colon adenoma). Also, consider your age too because, as you grow older, your risk to already have some cancerous cell is increased and you do not want to fuel their proliferation. That is maybe also a reason behind several nutrients U-curve mortality risk profiles.

#12 IWS

• 25 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:39 AM

Ginger all the way, as standardized extract, as powder, fresh, as juice, etc. the only care you must pay is for its strong antiplatelet and antiagregation effects you may try to balance with vitamin K (in all its forms) and CoQ10. Same for the Ginseng mainly because its saponins but you should know that it has more or less estrogenic effect depending on type and dosage. Vitamin C in very high dosage (as injectable) has been used for cancer treatment.

• Informative x 1

#13 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:39 AM

Ginger all the way, as standardized extract, as powder, fresh, as juice, etc. the only care you must pay is for its strong antiplatelet and antiagregation effects you may try to balance with vitamin K (in all its forms) and CoQ10. Same for the Ginseng mainly because its saponins but you should know that it has more or less estrogenic effect depending on type and dosage. Vitamin C in very high dosage (as injectable) has been used for cancer treatment.

I guess you mean those substances are NOT to be avoided for prostate cancer, right?

#14 IWS

• 25 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:14 AM

Yes, I mean these could be a great help to avoid and fight prostate cancer as well other cancer types. Just keep an eye at their side effects and try to balance them the better you can. If/once you start chemotherapy so you must be careful about the drugs/herbs interaction cause some supplement could negatively (or positively) react with chemo drugs. To give you a quick example, aspirin which could be great for some issues, will (negatively) interact with interferone.

#15 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:35 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11030616

Binding of inositol phosphate to DNA-PK and stimulation of double-strand break repair

Abstract

In mammalian cells, double-strand breaks in DNA can be repaired by nonhomologous end-joining (NHEJ), a process dependent upon Ku70/80, DNA-PKcs, XRCC4, and DNA ligase IV. Starting with HeLa cell-free extracts, which promote NHEJ in a reaction dependent upon all of these proteins, we have purified a novel factor that stimulates DNA end-joining in vitro. Using a combination of phosphorus NMR, mass spectroscopy, and strong anion exchange chromatography, we identify this factor as inositol hexakisphosphate (IP6). Purified IP6 is bound by DNA-PK and specifically stimulates DNA-PK-dependent end-joining in vitro. The involvement of inositol phosphate in DNA-PK-dependent NHEJ is of particular interest since the catalytic domain of DNA-PKcs is similar to that found in the phosphatidylinositol 3 (PI 3)-kinase family.

PMID:   11030616   [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]    Free full text

--------------------------

Here IP6 shows prostate specific anti cancer value. 

http://cancerprevent...ent/6/1/40.full

"Herein, employing anatomical and dynamic contrast-enhanced (DCE) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), we evaluated noninvasively, the in vivo, chemopreventive efficacy of inositol hexaphosphate (IP6), a major constituent of high-fiber diets, against prostate tumor growth and progression in transgenic adenocarcinoma of the mouse prostate (TRAMP) model"

"This results in energy deprivation within the tumor, suggesting a practical and translational potential of IP6 treatment in suppressing growth and progression of prostate cancer in humans."

Edited by synesthesia, 01 September 2015 - 04:43 PM.

• like x 1

#16 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:05 AM

Vitamin K doesn't balance antiplatelet or anticoagulation effects.  A vitamin K deficiency will cause bleeding, but once you get enough of it, you get essentially all the pro-coagulant effect you're going to get from it.  More K will not make a significant difference, once you have an adequate amount.

CoQ10 doesn't appear to alter coagulation status either, at least in in the context of Warfarin treatment.

#17 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:45 AM

Here IP6 shows prostate specific anti cancer value. 

http://cancerprevent...ent/6/1/40.full

"Herein, employing anatomical and dynamic contrast-enhanced (DCE) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), we evaluated noninvasively, the in vivo, chemopreventive efficacy of inositol hexaphosphate (IP6), a major constituent of high-fiber diets, against prostate tumor growth and progression in transgenic adenocarcinoma of the mouse prostate (TRAMP) model"

"This results in energy deprivation within the tumor, suggesting a practical and translational potential of IP6 treatment in suppressing growth and progression of prostate cancer in humans."

Liked (actually loved :-)) your post and the study. IP6 is entering definitively my top 5 and it is probably the best supplement so far I came across with. I cherry picked some sections which are relevant to me (due to my prostate condition, LGPIN etc..) and in general.

There seem to be an optimum dose in the study (2%) which is not necessary the highest:

“… there was a marked difference in prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (PIN) and adenocarcinoma incidences between positive control and IP6-fed groups (Fig. 2A and B). An overall increase in the incidence of more differentiated tumors in IP6-fed groups was also observed compared with positive controls, with a concomitant reduction in the incidence of more aggressive tumors in IP6-treated mice (Fig. 2B)…”

“…As shown in Fig. 2C, there was also a significant reduction in tumor grade in IP6-fed groups,..."

"...Together, these results suggest that IP6- feeding is effective in decreasing the progression of premalignant neoplastic lesions in the prostate of TRAMP mice to more aggressive forms of adenocarcinoma; however, these chemopreventive effects of IP6 do not seem to be dose dependent, with the group given the 2% IP6 dose fairing better than the group given the highest dose…"

IP6 LGPIN HGPIN.png

“…Histopathologic evaluation further corroborated the MRI imaging findings where IP6 had no inhibitory effect on PIN formation but decreased the formation of adenocarcinoma lesions…”

“…the observed chemopreventive effect of IP6 against prostate cancer could have translational potential in controlling the clinical progression of prostate cancer in patients diagnosed early at the PIN stage of the disease….”

With respect to HGPIN, this reminds me there are also other substance are of great interest, e.g. Green Tea Extract (GTE) and zyflamend, which have been investigated, see discussion here:

http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=741163

http://cancerprevent...4.full.pdf html

http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=569372

I like the preventive action of IP6. Remember, as we age, we all have an increased risk of developing pre-cancerous cells, we might have it already. You need not to fuel them (e.g. see discussion on folic acid and others, ...) and control possibly with IP6:

"...Together, these results suggested that IP6 feeding inhibits the recruitment of new vascular network during angiogenesis, by downregulating the expression of proangiogenic factors via a series of molecular events which, in totality, acted as a limiting factor that in turn restricted the ability of localized PIN/carcinoma to advance to a more invasive stage..."

The metabolic section is also very interesting (AMPK activation, reduction of tumor energy intake, ...):

“…Notably, our results indicated that IP6 has a significant effect on the glucose transport by the prostatic cells, which resulted in energy restrictions within the tumor….”

“…However, in IP6-fedmice, the low levels of glucose are related to overall decrease in glucose uptake by the prostatic tissue via a decreased expression of GLUT-4…”

“…We observed increased levels of both phospho-AMPK (activated AMPK) and phospho-ACC by IP6 feeding in the prostatic tissues…”

“…Interestingly, IP6 feeding showed a statistically significant proapoptotic effect in TRAMP prostate tissue…”

Finally for the mineral intake negative effect, consider taking IP6 well away from food and in any case ...:

"...Contrary to this, several cancer researchers emphasize that IP6 manifests as an antinutrient only when the diet is already poor in trace elements, and strongly recommend IP6 intake for its beneficial anticancer properties (6, 9, 12, 13)..."

#18 IWS

• 25 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:44 PM

Vitamin K doesn't balance antiplatelet or anticoagulation effects.  A vitamin K deficiency will cause bleeding, but once you get enough of it, you get essentially all the pro-coagulant effect you're going to get from it.  More K will not make a significant difference, once you have an adequate amount.

CoQ10 doesn't appear to alter coagulation status either, at least in in the context of Warfarin treatment.

The study you cited is about Warfarin which is derived from Coumadin, Gingerol (from Ginger) and Ginsenosides (from Ginseng) are completely different substances with a different mechanism of action, they are so different that one of the Ginsenosides from the Panax Notoginseng has both antiplatelet and antihemorrage properties, which is something pretty unique, if not even contradictory.

Also they say nothing about the status of the involved people, if they took any drug etc. and above all the amount of CoQ10 (which per-se has a very low bioavailability) and the Ginkgo utilized (100mg daily) were merely symbolic, not therapeuticals.

Vitamin K deficiency does not cause any bleeding, it contributes that you cant stop bleed once the hemorrage starts which is pretty different. CoQ10 has a chemical structure similar to the Vitamin K and both can cause clots in huge amounts. But when you follow an anticlot/aggregation stack you must have an elevated amount of platelets and aggregation/clotting factors as Vitamin K and CoQ10 or even the most insignificant bleeding could be fatal.

I do not think you could use the concept of 'adequate amount' with Vitamin K, Japanese have succesful used amount you may consider adequate for the whole life with no remarkable side effects and most of its therapeuticals effects (osteoporosis, cancer, etc.) are visibile at amounts way over an adequate one. Nattokinase is derived from Natto which has an huge amount of Vitamin K, at same time and by nature.

Edited by IWS, 02 September 2015 - 04:44 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prostate, cancer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users