Angry, irritable the next day after exercise

sleep exercise mood 5htp

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#31 mkp6019

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:46 PM

I will throw out this possibility. I have chronic migraine which the doctors refer to as atypical.  I don't have bad headaches though on occasion they can be. My symptoms make me irritable, moody and angry.  And anything that triggers my daily migraines including exercises puts me in this mood. I have a ton of neurological symptoms including extreme fatigue, dizziness, lightheaded, motor weakness in the limbs. It took me along time to associate the moodiness, anxiety with the migraines but now I notice them when a migraine is coming or started. I had had a ton of migraines over the years and lived through it until it became a daily phenomenon. One of the doctors told me that many individuals don't recognize the symptoms as migraines when the headache is absent and many primary physicians dismiss the complaints as the symptoms are too vague.

Best Wishes!

#32 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:57 AM

I am taking Thyroid Synergy by Designs for Health supplement to keep my thyroid working properly. Hopefully, I will see some changes. 

Overview

Thyroid Synergy™ was designed to be a top-quality, all-in-one formula for the nutritional support of thyroid function. The non-stimulating adaptogenic botanical American ginseng (Panax quinquifolius) helps maintain healthy cortisol, blood glucose and insulin levels, along with a balanced conversion of peripheral thyroid hormone. Essential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients work synergistically to provide a premium thyroid product in just two capsules a day.

http://catalog.desig...oid-Synergy-120

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:01 AM

Assume you have ruled out the basic potassium / magnesium / sodium etc deficiencies as these are exacerbated by exercise.
Migraines could be another symptom of this. Also check gut biome before messing with dopamine or serotonin through supplementation

Edited by zorba990, 13 February 2016 - 05:03 AM.

#34 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:16 AM

Well, my ND said that I am taking plenty of magnesium. I am not sure about potassium and sodium...

My multi is really good, and I eat salty caviar every day:)

Gut biome is also healthy. I eat fermented foods, probiotics, fibre.

Most likely, it is a thyroid and adrenal glands issue. My body treats exercise as a stress for some mysterious reason...

​I don't have migraines.

#35 BARS

• 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:29 PM

Depending on how exactly you train, usually it is possible to disturb the overall mental condition of the trainee due to the influence strength training has on the central nervous system, and not only. But again, this could be the case if the regiment you follow can cause enough activation, to turn on the emergency processes in your organism. This could be the case if you put more stress on your organism that it is adapted to. Are you sure the training is the cause of your sleep issue? Do you sleep well when you don't workout?
Try to stop being active аt least a hour and half before your go to sleep, no blinding linghts, loud music, remove stresors, and half a hour before bed drink a glass of red wine, just make sure it is wine and not something fake. See how is it.

Edit: Indeed, that's what exactly exercise is to not only for your skeletal musculature, but for your entire organism - stress. The more you stress it, i.e exercise, the more often the organism adapts to the new level of stress, becoming more resistant to the previous level of stress, which is part of the sense that sport is health.

Edited by bobobg, 13 February 2016 - 01:34 PM.

#36 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

I sleep like a baby if I don't work out. I've had this problem for 15-16 years so I am pretty sure that workouts, running, walking, yoga, etc. disturbs my sleep. The level of intensity has been more or less the same. 

#37 BARS

• 12 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:30 AM

Sorry for the late reply. 15-16 years of working out, the level of intensity stays the same, we can conclude that it's not central nervous system overdrive. Did you tried to not workout out at least 2,5 hours before sleep, removing all stressors (disturbing loud sounds and/or sharp lights) plus a medium glass of good red wine? If you did, what happened?

#38 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

Even if I exercise at noon, my sleep is disrupted. When I don't exercise, I sleep like a baby. Wine has a stimulating effect on my system.  ;)

#39 BARS

• 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:17 PM

I've had sleep problems due to training, accompanied by several other factors, but meanwhile my Thyroid was excelent. The cause in my case was that there was no cooling down after training sessions, in a sense that afterwards there were still stimulating factors around me - lights, sounds, different stressors, excitement caused via various ways, objects of focus, studying, interraction with others. The 4 hour daily Olympic lifting, as was in my case since 12 y.o boy, was burning my central nervous system to the point of there's no more. Aside the progress with the weights, which does not concern us here, and that I felt broken nearly 24/7, what was unexpected for me was the mental issues - sleep problems, nightmares, emotionally always on edge, irritable to a degree I've never been for years afterwards. How my coach back then, a masterming by all means, put an end of all this, was a list of few simple things to do. What I had to do is to lie in bed with the falling of the sun, because once the clock crossed 11-12 o'çlock, afterwards the organism begins to listen you - No sleep? Ok, let's not sleep.

Minutes before going to sleep, as I already mentioned, a glass of wine. But good, red wine, without spirt. Some wines just push you to do a lot of things but not sleeping. They did this with the whole olympic team actually. Before the glass of wine, there was a stay in a hot bath-tub for 30-60 min. The hottest one can handle, of course to a point that it's pleasant. Also, no eating at least a hour and half before sleep. And again - light. No gazing at computers, phones, crisp tv screens and such. It requires a little more discipline the first times, but try.

A far as sometimes the stimulating effects of some wines goes...there are ways to deal with this. ;)

#40 spaz490

• 17 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:36 AM

Buy a bottle of L-dopa, take one before bed, and call me in the morning.

Edit to add type and percents

Mucuna L-dopa Extract Minimum 20% 700mg per capsule

It's cheap, it turns 4 hours of sleep into what feels a solid 8 hours.

I've never slept better in my life, however it has a quick tolerance build up and I recommend from personal experience to take every other day or 2 on / 2 off.

Edited by spaz490, 13 March 2016 - 12:38 AM.

• like x 2

#41 FrostIX

• 14 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:45 AM

Beauty, I have an obvious question for you: Are you eating enough?

I too get very irritable and don't sleep well the day after exercising, but only when I don't eat enough calories during that day. You mentioned trying to maintain your slim physique and eating fruits, but this suggests that you may not be getting your bodies caloric requirement.

• Good Point x 1

#42 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:07 AM

I too get very irritable and don't sleep well the day after exercising, but only when I don't eat enough calories during that day. You mentioned trying to maintain your slim physique and eating fruits, but this suggests that you may not be getting your bodies caloric requirement.

If I eat junk food, it helps tremendously but that's not healthy to eat junk food every second day, no? Chicken & rice does not do it for me!

@spaz490 I have l-dopa and I don't feel a difference after taking it. I haven't noticed anything at all. Maybe I didn't take enough  :unsure:

Edited by The Beauty of Peace, 13 March 2016 - 02:08 AM.

#43 spaz490

• 17 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:38 AM

@The Beauty of Peace  I am truly impressed I've recommended L-dopa to a lot of friends even family and never had someone say it didn't work for them.  Do you eat enough healthy brain fats, or fish oil?  I would then look at missing out on micronutrients easily fixed by taking a decent multivitamin be careful of the outer shells on some box store brand vitamins they don't break down properly in the stomach. Then onto potentially being short on Magnesium or potassium, supplement for magnesium is cheap, bananas and broccoli for the potassium, added bonus of increased serotonin from bananas.

Throwing out the basics here hope something helps or sparks an idea!

• Agree x 1

#44 FrostIX

• 14 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:34 AM

If I eat junk food, it helps tremendously but that's not healthy to eat junk food every second day, no? Chicken & rice does not do it for me!

@spaz490 I have l-dopa and I don't feel a difference after taking it. I haven't noticed anything at all. Maybe I didn't take enough  :unsure:

Calories don't equate to junk food. There are plenty of healthy foods with calories. If you don't get enough calories, you body will not have enough energy to perform all that necessary things that it needs to feel rested and rejuvenated.

This is just me speaking from experience. I'm a skinny person and I can always feel it the next day in my mood if I didn't eat enough the prior day, especially if I exercised as well. Everyone's different, and it's good to learn your own body, so this is just a suggestion.

• like x 1

#45 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:49 AM

Beauty,  I had the same problem as you when  I started to exercise more intensively. I felt energetic and sometimes tense late at night, tossed and turned, then tired and down in the mornings. Then I started taking glycine because many athletes seem to do this to calm down their energy.  

Glycine is in many ways an interesting substance, no side effects and dirt cheap. Elsewhere on this forum there  is much interesting information to be found about it.

I take 500mg with each meal and 1500mg before bed. Since I have started doing this some months ago I have no more sleeping problems.

I am not saying this will work for you but you might give it a try!

• like x 1

#46 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:41 PM

I take 500mg with each meal and 1500mg before bed. Since I have started doing this some months ago I have no more sleeping problems.

I used to take Glycine but never in such a big amount. I will give it another chance!

#47 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:46 PM

@The Beauty of Peace  I am truly impressed I've recommended L-dopa to a lot of friends even family and never had someone say it didn't work for them.  Do you eat enough healthy brain fats, or fish oil?  I would then look at missing out on micronutrients easily fixed by taking a decent multivitamin be careful of the outer shells on some box store brand vitamins they don't break down properly in the stomach. Then onto potentially being short on Magnesium or potassium, supplement for magnesium is cheap, bananas and broccoli for the potassium, added bonus of increased serotonin from bananas.

Yeah, I have the type of L-dopa that you recommend in powder form. Do you take 700 mg before bed?

Edited by The Beauty of Peace, 13 March 2016 - 05:47 PM.

#48 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:49 PM

Calories don't equate to junk food. There are plenty of healthy foods with calories. If you don't get enough calories, you body will not have enough energy to perform all that necessary things that it needs to feel rested and rejuvenated.

This is just me speaking from experience. I'm a skinny person and I can always feel it the next day in my mood if I didn't eat enough the prior day, especially if I exercised as well. Everyone's different, and it's good to learn your own body, so this is just a suggestion.

I know that calories do not mean junk food. But which healthy foods are truly satisfying & comforting for you? I have tried nuts, protein bars, dark chocolate, fish, chicken, etc. but potato chips work the best...

#49 spaz490

• 17 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

Yeah, I have the type of L-dopa that you recommend in powder form. Do you take 700 mg before bed?

Yes I would give 700mg before bed a shot, I hope it helps! 

What doses were you taking in the past?

#50 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:52 AM

Yes I would give 700mg before bed a shot, I hope it helps! 

What doses were you taking in the past?

450 mg.

Edited by The Beauty of Peace, 14 March 2016 - 02:58 AM.

#51 spaz490

• 17 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:02 PM

Here's to hoping you got some good sleep last night on 750mg!

#52 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:24 PM

Yep, I slept for 11 hours  :)

• Cheerful x 1

#53 spaz490

• 17 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:14 AM

Yep, I slept for 11 hours  :)

That's amazing!  Make sure you use a every other day protocol if you plan to use it for extended amount of time, your body will eventually build a tolerance to it, the dosing will help slow down the tolerance build up.

Edited by spaz490, 15 March 2016 - 01:14 AM.

#54 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:20 AM

Yes, I am going to take L-dopa only after a workout. Thank you for your recommendation! If it works, it will save my life!

• like x 1

#55 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:19 AM

Yes, I am going to take L-dopa only after a workout. Thank you for your recommendation! If it works, it will save my life!

What specific L-Dopa product are you using?  I have a problem similar to yours.

Recommendations from others are certainly welcome too.

#56 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:48 AM

What specific L-Dopa product are you using?  I have a problem similar to yours.

Recommendations from others are certainly welcome too.

I got the Mucuna Prurient Extract (Dopa Mucuna) 98% L-DOPA here: http://www.powdercity.com/products/mucuna-pruriens-powder-dosage

#57 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

L-dopa supplementation comes with serious side effects and issues, one thing is to try a couple of times in order to verify its involvement in a condition, a whole different story is chronic supplementation which is better to be avoided at all cost.

Selegiline might be a better and safer solution but unless used only once a week in a very small dosage (2,5mg) it is wiser to consult an endocrinologist.   

You are playing with very complex stuff here, if you don't know very well what are you doing you might regret it later on.

• Needs references x 1
  • Agree x 1

#58 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:01 PM

Beauty, I agree with Aconita here. I am glad  L-Dopa  helps you, but it is  'powerful medicine'. You may need it for a short time, preferably under doctor's supervision.

However, after a while just give homely old  glycine a chance. Only yesterday, the ergolog website reminded us of this older research:

http://www.ergo-log....ork-better.html

#59 The Beauty of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:09 AM

Just want to report back. I am taking Life Extension Glycine now 3,000 mg before bed, I can't say it helps immensely... It does help me to be sharp in the morning.

I am also taking 6.25 mg of Iodoral for my hypothyroidism.

Edited by The Beauty of Peace, 11 April 2016 - 02:10 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:59 AM

I suppose it takes time to fully restore the sleep rhythm.

You might take a higher dose. Some athletes seem to take up to 30 grams a day without side effects.

I am still satisfied about glycine, though some nights I also take a magnesium tablet and/or 0.1mg melatonin.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sleep, exercise, mood, 5htp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users