• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How to properly use beta blocker for performance anxiety?

beta blocker

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ymc

• 209 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:13 AM

I have a steady supply of 50mg atenolol. I heard that it can be used to reduce performance anxiety. What is the properly way to use it for this purpose? At what time before the performance and at how much dose?

Thanks a lot in advance.

#2 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:48 AM

I took a small dose of propanolol sublingually 45 minutes before a big presentation. You MUST try this on yourself before the big day to make sure you do not get surprising side-effects. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:32 AM

Propanolol would be a better choice since it blocks B1 and B2 - it blocks more of the effects of adrenaline.

It works fine and quickly swallowing it. It tastes terrible.

#4 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:26 AM

10mg of propranolol is usually enough (no sides at all but enough adrenaline blockage).
  • Agree x 1

#5 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:11 PM

Be advised some people may have severe, crippling depressive response. It has happened to a family member. I googled and there are beta receptors in brain.

#6 ymc

• Topic Starter
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:23 PM

Be advised some people may have severe, crippling depressive response. It has happened to a family member. I googled and there are beta receptors in brain.

Google told me atenolol supposedly only binds to the receptors in the heart whereas propranolol binds to the receptors all over the body including the brain. Therefore propranolols are more likely to have side effects. Do you know if propranolol's binding to the beta receptors in the brain makes it more effective to reduce performance anxiety?

#7 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:21 PM

Google told me atenolol supposedly only binds to the receptors in the heart whereas propranolol binds to the receptors all over the body including the brain. Therefore propranolols are more likely to have side effects. Do you know if propranolol's binding to the beta receptors in the brain makes it more effective to reduce performance anxiety?

Yes, I would say it is.

The reason why is a bit complicated, but you and Jack_Black actually helped me understand why to some extent - Propanolol was an interest of mine some time back (recently) - because it's one of the few compounds which decrease activity in the AMYGDALA - the brains centre for the fight or flight mechanism.

This area of the brain has highly increased activity in Borderline Disorder - BPD seems to be caused by a Fronto-Amygdal loop-problem - the frontal lobe does not filter away social cues enough, leading to a misinterpretation of communication - meanwhile, their amygdala is hyperactive, sending out incorrect response to various external information.

That's the cause of the hyper-emotionality in Borderline Disorder. (I propose to rename it EDD - Emotional Dysregulation Disorder, since that's a more proper name - and it acknowledges that it's NOT a f***ing personality disorder! It's entirely neuropsychiatric, and connected to the nicotinergic system - that's why hardly no drugs or treatments work - there's nothing to fix with psychotherapy, and none of the drugs are anti-nicotinergic to any great degree!)

So yes, Propanolol is superior.

There must be a feedback-loop between the Beta-receptors in the brain, and the nicotinergic, or perhaps they ARE located in the Amygdala, and can ALSO control activity in and out of it - which would make a lot of sense.

I'll try to find the reference, but I actually calculated how the dosing for a 60 kilos human would be, from the rat-tests which showed that this occurred - if you hit that dosage, Propanolol won't just impair your external symptoms, they'll impair your internal symptoms as well.

You WON'T freak out, because your amygdala will be SHUTTING IT'S TRAP! ; )

Allowing instead your more complex brain-regions to handle external information - your frontal lobe will be calling the shots, not your primal fear-response.

Jack_Black: You may be friggin' right about your cousin btw! The fact that beta-blockers doesn't help, but Memantine seemingly DOES... Yeah, she might be one of the extrovertal autists - not BPD AT ALL, in reality.

There's a hair-trigger fine line sometimes, between over-interpretation of social cues, and UNDER-interpretation. She's like you, Aspergers, but a different representation. No wonder my beloved Anti-nicotinergic and amygdala-inhibiting drugs don't work...! : ( They just ain't for her. More for my ex - which is definitely a classic BPD - even friggin' BUPROPION, which has weak Anti-alpha-7, has an effect! Well, after the initial dopaminergic overdrive, which she described in hindsight, has died down.

Sonnuva'bitch'... and YOU are the only one who realizes it, man...! Only you.

You got a link to that info on the Beta-receptors in the brain? I'm having trouble finding it - Wikipedia doesn't seem to be aware of it.

Oooonly yooouu, can make my heeeaarrt... *sings*

EDIT:

Oh, that's just bloody great... Turns out some of the Nicotinergic sub-unit receptors are called Beta-2-receptors! Jeesh... it won't be easy figuring out the connection then! A bit like how Alpha-7 is a nicotinergic receptor, but Alpha-1 and Alpha-2 are in fact adrenergic...!

*head-bash*

Wait a minute...! Is this just an unfortunate coincidence, or is it more to it...? Where these so-called "Alpha-receptors" named that way because they had some structural similarities, before the scientists noticed how they responded to different neurotransmitters?

A bit like how the Sigma-receptors was originally incorrectly named that way because it looked similar to the Opiate-receptors? But then it turns out there aren't any endogenous or exogenous opiates which seemingly connect to it.

Could this be something similar?? What, if ANY, would the implications be?

Help me out here guys... I can't grasp this... too much MagLT brain-fog! Lol! Actually helps with NSI-anxiety - it just turns me super-confused instead! Hahahahaaa! xD

Edited by Stinkorninjor, 04 October 2016 - 11:35 PM.

#8 psychejunkie

• 205 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:30 AM

I often take Propranolol to decrease anxiety and heart race; once I took 10 mg before an important exam, it did great job at controlling anxiety but also I felt dull, stupid and some cognitive impairment!

be careful 

#9 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:55 AM

Jack_Black: You may be friggin' right about your cousin btw! The fact that beta-blockers doesn't help, but Memantine seemingly DOES... Yeah, she might be one of the extrovertal autists - not BPD AT ALL, in reality.

There's a hair-trigger fine line sometimes, between over-interpretation of social cues, and UNDER-interpretation. She's like you, Aspergers, but a different representation. No wonder my beloved Anti-nicotinergic and amygdala-inhibiting drugs don't work...! : ( They just ain't for her. More for my ex - which is definitely a classic BPD - even friggin' BUPROPION, which has weak Anti-alpha-7, has an effect! Well, after the initial dopaminergic overdrive, which she described in hindsight, has died down.

Sonnuva'bitch'... and YOU are the only one who realizes it, man...! Only you.

You got a link to that info on the Beta-receptors in the brain? I'm having trouble finding it - Wikipedia doesn't seem to be aware of it.

I wish it was that simple. I reacted favorably to propranolol a couple of times, she didn't. But she is treated for depression and I'm not.

BTW there is little literature on beta receptors in brain.
http://m.neurology.o...8/1067.abstract

#10 ymc

• Topic Starter
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:43 PM

This abstract says 100mg atenolol 6.5 hours before performance.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/6129674

Why 6.5 hours?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#11 ymc

• Topic Starter
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:40 AM

This abstract says 100mg atenolol 6.5 hours before performance.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/6129674

Why 6.5 hours?

I noticed that the biological half life for atenolol is 6-7 hours from wiki. So 6.5 hours is an average of 6-7?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beta blocker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users