LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

AOR Ortho-Core or Life Extension Mix?

multivitamin aor life extension ortho-core

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Multivitamins (2 member(s) have cast votes)

Which complete multivitamin?

1. AOR Ortho-Core (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Life Extension Mix (2 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Which basic multivitamin?

1. Life Extension Two-per-day (1 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Thorne 2/day (1 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 baccheion

• 154 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:12 PM

Which? Why?

AOR Ortho-Core: https://www.iherb.co...-Capsules/33670
Life Extension Mix: https://www.iherb.co...-Capsules/71784

Thorne 2/day: https://www.iherb.co...ggie-Caps/52954
Life Extension Two-per-day: https://www.iherb.co...-Capsules/78363

Edited by baccheion, 23 October 2017 - 03:15 PM.

#2 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:38 PM

Life Extension Two-per-Day, but neither of the "complete" multivitamins, so I couldn't cast a vote ;)

Why Two-per-Day? Because in my opinion, Thorne is a bit too high in certain nutrients at full dose, and too low for others at 1/2 dose. Two-per-Day is too high in most nutrients at full dose and just fine at 1/2 dose, which costs 15 cents per day (or ~10 if you get it during sale). Honestly, I wouldn't spend much more on a multivitamin.

I think those comprehensive formulas with all kinds of plant extracts are just a waste of money, and may even tempt people to care less about eating a healthy diet ("well, I have taken all those capsules full of vitamins and plant extracts, so why shouldn't I have that burger now?") and thereby even excert a net negative effect. Don't forget that there is a lot more to a healthy diet than what even the most comprehensive and expensive pills and powders provide and that the only really conclusive evidence we have for the health-promoting effects of all those compounds is for their natural, whole-food form, supplying them in complex combinations and accompanied by an equally complex mixture of dietary fiber, that may be even more important than the phytochemicals and which those supplements are usually completely devoid of.

My advice: take a good, basic multivitamin (like Two-per-Day @ 1/2 dose) instead of the expensive formulas and spent the money you save on healthy food. You get potentially more benefit from that. Even if money is not an issue for you, be wary of your subconsciousness if you take those supplements.

Of course there a certain phytochemicals that may have promising effects on doses much higher than those achievable through a healthy diet, but that's a different story. To reach the required dose, you would have to take them as a seperate supplement anyway.

Edited by timar, 23 October 2017 - 09:44 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 BioHacker=Life

• 249 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:48 AM

I like them both and alternative between the 2.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

Of course there a certain phytochemicals that may have promising effects on doses much higher than those achievable through a healthy diet, but that's a different story. To reach the required dose, you would have to take them as a seperate supplement anyway.

With required dose you probably mean a therapeutic dose? - From a preventive perspective, considering that even on a good diet one usually doesn't get most of its healthy ingredients each and every day, for example LEF's mix does have a good variety/price ratio.

Although most of it's plant extracts are partial the dose one usually sees sold in individual capsules, adding these fractions up would still make about full 7 individual doses. For which when individually bought one usually pays as much as for example this whole multi (without the vitamin/minerals).

• 200 mg** Citrus bioflavonoid complex bitter orange (peel and fruit) [std. to 50% hesperidin (100 mg)]
  • 725 mg** Broccoli concentrate blend [broccoli extracts (plant and sprout) (providing glucosinolates, sulforaphane), calcium D-glucarate]
  • 325 mg** Decaffeinated green tea extract (leaf)[standardized to 45% epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) (146.25 mg)]
  • 300 mg** Acerola Extract 4:1 (berry)
  • 200 mg** Fruit/berry complex (proprietary blend of blackberry, blueberry, cherry, cranberry, elderberry, persimmon, prune powders)
  • 150 mg** Wild blueberry anthocyanin extract (fruit)
  • 100 mg** Milk thistle extract (seeds)[std. to 85% silymarin (85 mg)]100 mg**Maqui berry (Aristotelia chilensis) anthocyanin extract (fruit)
  • 85 mg** CherryPure tart cherry (Prunus cerasus) proanthocyanidin extract (skin)
  • 85 mg** POMELLA pomegranate extract (fruit)[std. to 30% punicalagins (25.5 mg)]
  • 60 mg** Natural mixed tocopherols (providing gamma, delta, alpha, beta tocopherols)
  • 30 mg** MirtoSelect bilberry extract (fruit)
  • 25 mg** Leucoselect grape seed proanthocyanidin extract
  • 25 mg** BioVin grape proanthocyanidin extract (whole grapes)
  • 15 mg** Bromelain (from pineapple) (stem) (2400 gelatin digestive units/gram)
  • 2 mg** Delphinidins [from Delphinol maqui berry (Aristotelia chilensis) extract]
  • 15 mg** Lutein [from marigold extract (flower)] (providing 465 mcg trans-zeaxanthin)
  • 12.5 mg** Olive juice extract (fruit) (providing polyphenols, hydroxytryrosol, tyrosol, oleuropein)
  • 8 mg** Sesame seed lignan extract10 mg**Luteolin [from orange extract (fruit)]
  • 3 mg** Lycopene [from Tomat-O-Red natural tomato extract (fruit)]
  • 1.25 mg** Cyanidin-3-glucoside (C3G) [from black currant extract (fruit)]
  • 0.5 mg** Trans-Pterostilbene (from pTeroPure)
  • 2 mg** NIAGEN Nicotinamide Riboside

I think those comprehensive formulas with all kinds of plant extracts are just a waste of money, and may even tempt people to care less about eating a healthy diet ("well, I have taken all those capsules full of vitamins and plant extracts, so why shouldn't I have that burger now?") and thereby even excert a net negative effect.

To that I can fully agree too. Though one usually comes from burger and fries, changes to healthy unprocessed foods and adds a multi.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multivitamin, aor, life extension, ortho-core

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users