Alcohol - my new effective treatment for schizophrenia and depression

schizophrenia alcohol

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#31 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:15 AM

How many drugs and/or supplements are you taking? List them all, and we'll have a look at it - we might be able to give some tips.

Maybe make a list of former drugs as well, and what your response to them was, then we'll proceed with some deductions from all of that.

Right now I'm taking:
Latuda 111 mg
Zyprexa 2,5mg
Clonazepam 0.5-1.5mg
Mirtazapine 7.5mg

Mirtazapine and Latuda interact very badly but I need mirtazapine for sleep and against depersionalasation. On this low dose the interaction is minimal. I was experimenting with Sodium Benzoate + Sarcosine but so far I didn't find it helpful. Other than that I'm taking nothing.
What I've tried while on Latuda:
trazadone - made me feel abstinence
Promethazine - did nothing
Amitriptilyne - caused TD to my tongue
Brintillex - didn't do much and caused SD
Quetapine - made me hallucinate

I don't list tons of things I tried before because everything evolves around Latuda, that's the main medication I do not can or want to give up. (I'm gonna change to Cariprazine in the future though)

#32 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:18 AM

We're not doctors, important to note.
But just looking at what you're taking it isn't sufficient to target the symptoms you're complaining of.

Paranoia & Anxiety can be treated with benzos but that is usually a short term solution, just like Alcohol, as they both target similar brain regions.

I think you'd get more relief long term by adding an SSRI, SNRI, TCA or if those dont work, eventually Nardil. People on the SAS forum state Nardil is the golden standard for Anxiety, and it would also hit on those negative symptoms as well.

While Alcohol is making you feel relief now (It did for me years ago) you'll eventually fall deeper and it wont help you anymore.

They have Nardil in the Netherlands, I can try that.
How long did your alcohol adventure lasted and how did you come off of it?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#33 jaiho

• 521 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:18 AM

But just looking at what you're taking it isn't sufficient to target the symptoms you're complaining of.

Paranoia & Anxiety can be treated with benzos but that is usually a short term solution, just like Alcohol, as they both target similar brain regions.

I think you'd get more relief long term by adding an SSRI, SNRI, TCA or if those dont work, eventually Nardil. People on the SAS forum state Nardil is the golden standard for Anxiety, and it would also hit on those negative symptoms as well.

While Alcohol is making you feel relief now (It did for me years ago) you'll eventually fall deeper and it wont help you anymore.

I drank daily for a couple years.

It used to give a huge relief to my depression & anxiety, then it just started making me feel depressed even after 2 drinks.

I just gradually reduced my usage until i stopped drinking completely, with some help from psychedelics (not a good idea for you) and medications.

Edited by jaiho, 23 May 2017 - 03:18 AM.

#34 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

As you know what I find very helpful for schizo symptoms is theanine. It's also very good for sleep quality. For falling asleep there's melatonin but it oddly gives me paranoia and other issues when I wake up again. Both melatonin alone and together with theanine gives paranoia and other 5ht2a or whatever receptor, issues upon waking.

I find that magnesium and melatonin are extremely effective for sleep quality and falling asleep.

#35 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

I drank daily for a couple years.
It used to give a huge relief to my depression & anxiety, then it just started making me feel depressed even after 2 drinks.
I just gradually reduced my usage until i stopped drinking completely, with some help from psychedelics (not a good idea for you) and medications.

I had a period (while on Zyprexa) or when I binge drink I get really depressed the next day. The way I'm drinking now (6-8 beers) does not cause this, I actually wake up refreshed and my alcoholism hasn't caused a problem yet. I don't know man, my plan for now is trying to be sober on weekdays and only drink in the weekends (I don't see a reason to swear it off). I don't know man gonna try this. It's been only 1,5 months since living like this, you for example have kept it up for years.

#36 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:21 PM

As you know what I find very helpful for schizo symptoms is theanine. It's also very good for sleep quality. For falling asleep there's melatonin but it oddly gives me paranoia and other issues when I wake up again. Both melatonin alone and together with theanine gives paranoia and other 5ht2a or whatever receptor, issues upon waking.
I find that magnesium and melatonin are extremely effective for sleep quality and falling asleep.

Tried theanine several times, I either don't notice anything positive or get anxious.

#37 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:22 AM

OP, there was a person in the news recently who selftreated himself with alcohol. His name is Richard Rojas. Look him up.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#38 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:30 AM

OP, there was a person in the news recently who selftreated himself with alcohol. His name is Richard Rojas. Look him up.

lol WTF has that to do with this thread, the guy was high on marijuana and PCP (not alcohol) and wanted kill civilians and be killed by cops.

• Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#39 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

while youre still cognizant enough to reach the keyboard, i may as well chime in with my two cents.  my mother was an alcoholic and i absolutely wouldn't touch the stuff if it were the last remaining beverage on earth.  not to say i dont have a glass or two of wine every couple weeks, i definitely do.  but do you not see how a line has been crossed in going from drinking a few glass of wine per month to justifying alcoholism as a legitimate treatment for common perceptual disorders?  you're living dangerously, vicariously.  you'll get stuck in a cycle of poor health, poverty and loneliness

you will not know success and may very well end up with a lot of regrets if you continue down this path youre walking on.  open up to your parents, consider an intervention, consider swapping it for, yes, theanine, but perhaps also phenibut (can i get a second opinion that this is a more mild substance than phenibut? i have no direct knowledge).  do whatever it takes to get on a better path, to realize this is not the one for you..

• Agree x 1

#40 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:16 PM

lol WTF has that to do with this thread, the guy was high on marijuana and PCP (not alcohol) and wanted kill civilians and be killed by cops.

You are right, he selfmedicated with more than alcohol, but that's my point. This is where it leads. Sadly I saw it myself in my very own family, people with some mental issues reaching for alcohol first, hard drugs later, and ending up on the street or dead.
  • Unfriendly x 1

#41 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

You are right, he selfmedicated with more than alcohol, but that's my point. This is where it leads. Sadly I saw it myself in my very own family, people with some mental issues reaching for alcohol first, hard drugs later, and ending up on the street or dead.

Don't exaggerate, you don't even know me.
  • Unfriendly x 2
  • Good Point x 2
  • like x 1

#42 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

while youre still cognizant enough to reach the keyboard, i may as well chime in with my two cents. my mother was an alcoholic and i absolutely wouldn't touch the stuff if it were the last remaining beverage on earth. not to say i dont have a glass or two of wine every couple weeks, i definitely do. but do you not see how a line has been crossed in going from drinking a few glass of wine per month to justifying alcoholism as a legitimate treatment for common perceptual disorders? you're living dangerously, vicariously. you'll get stuck in a cycle of poor health, poverty and loneliness

you will not know success and may very well end up with a lot of regrets if you continue down this path youre walking on. open up to your parents, consider an intervention, consider swapping it for, yes, theanine, but perhaps also phenibut (can i get a second opinion that this is a more mild substance than phenibut? i have no direct knowledge). do whatever it takes to get on a better path, to realize this is not the one for you..

You're also exaggerating. I have full control over what I'm doing. I might be an part-time alcoholic but that doesn't mean I'm in trouble. The question was if I'm already in trouble or not. So far I can conclude from this thread and searching all throughout the Internet my alcoholism is not so far developed that it should cause any problems short term. Anyway thanks for your input in what it can cause long-term.

Edited by YoungSchizo, 25 May 2017 - 05:36 PM.

• Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#43 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

How many drugs and/or supplements are you taking? List them all, and we'll have a look at it - we might be able to give some tips.

Maybe make a list of former drugs as well, and what your response to them was, then we'll proceed with some deductions from all of that.

Right now I'm taking:
Latuda 111 mg
Zyprexa 2,5mg
Clonazepam 0.5-1.5mg
Mirtazapine 7.5mg

Mirtazapine and Latuda interact very badly but I need mirtazapine for sleep and against depersionalasation. On this low dose the interaction is minimal. I was experimenting with Sodium Benzoate + Sarcosine but so far I didn't find it helpful. Other than that I'm taking nothing.

I don't list tons of things I tried before because everything evolves around Latuda, that's the main medication I do not can or want to give up. (I'm gonna change to Cariprazine in the future though)

All right, great, this will be useful as we try to come up with a long-term solution. I'm a bit too tired to sort through it at the moment, alas.

What does "SD" and "TD" mean though?

while youre still cognizant enough to reach the keyboard, i may as well chime in with my two cents. my mother was an alcoholic and i absolutely wouldn't touch the stuff if it were the last remaining beverage on earth. not to say i dont have a glass or two of wine every couple weeks, i definitely do. but do you not see how a line has been crossed in going from drinking a few glass of wine per month to justifying alcoholism as a legitimate treatment for common perceptual disorders? you're living dangerously, vicariously. you'll get stuck in a cycle of poor health, poverty and loneliness

you will not know success and may very well end up with a lot of regrets if you continue down this path youre walking on. open up to your parents, consider an intervention, consider swapping it for, yes, theanine, but perhaps also phenibut (can i get a second opinion that this is a more mild substance than phenibut? i have no direct knowledge). do whatever it takes to get on a better path, to realize this is not the one for you..

You're also exaggerating. I have full control over what I'm doing. I might be an part-time alcoholic but that doesn't mean I'm in trouble. The question was if I'm already in trouble or not. So far I can conclude from this thread and searching all throughout the Internet my alcoholism is not so far developed that it should cause any problems short term. Anyway thanks for your input in what it can cause long-term.

It's taking everything I have to even write this... just sayin' it... my head feels like I'm moving through molasses, because I've taken on more social interaction than I can honestly take. *burnout syndrome coming right back*

But, a PLAN - you ARE working on one, right??

You are aware that Alcohol can only work in the short term, soon, you will feel tolerance, and then you're back at square one - and if you raise the dose... I'm afraid that Alcohol is known to cause psychosis at higher dosages - and if the alc' itself doesn't do it, then the ABSTINENCE will do it - also a known effect. (why abstinence does it is not known as far as I can tell - but it might be why some whom are NOT schizo get relief from anhedonia from hangover - some form of dopaminergic signalling upregulation)

Have you looked into Dihexa, getting a group buy going, or getting a trusted vendor to get carry it in their store?

Have you looked into getting your hands on Lithium?

Lithium in particular should prove to be the easiest to obtain, and I actually know of cases of Schizo's whom have had it prescribed - even though there is no proof that it helps with hallucinations or paranoia - presumably, I'm guessing, it's because their Dr's are aware of it's antidepressant properties, and perhaps even have observed effects on negative symptoms.

One of those schizo-peeps whom have been on it, happens to be the close relative of one of my best friends - the person is not on it any more though, because eventually the person tried ELECTRO CONVULSIVE THERAPY, and found that it helped more with negative symptoms. The person's cognition, social ability and depressive thoughts have all been fairly improved by it.

I know that's not necessarily an enticing option to suggest, but there is newer scientific evidence backing modern, controlled ECT - neurogenesis does occur, and because of the newer data, the newest algorithms for the treatment of ANOTHER psychosis-disorder, Bipolar, have now moved ECT way higher up on the list for treating depressive states.

I know it's not common in the USA, but here in Europe it's use has seen an upswing the last decade or so, mainly because of this new data.

You're probably aware of the side-effects - but don't let them blind you to the potential benefits.

It works.

References:

-------------------

Augmentation of clozapine with electroconvulsive therapy in treatment resistant schizophrenia: A systematic review and meta-analysis

http://www.schres-jo...0024-X/fulltext

Electroconvulsive therapy for schizophrenia

http://www.cochrane....r-schizophrenia

(cochrane is the gold standard, if they come to the conclusion that ECT works for Schiz, then it bloody well works!)

Unilateral electroconvulsive therapy versus bilateral electroconvulsive therapy for schizophrenia (Protocol)

http://onlinelibrary...58.CD011933/pdf

Edited by Stinkorninjor, 25 May 2017 - 08:43 PM.

#44 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:03 PM

I might be an part-time alcoholic

What's that? You're​ either addicted or not.

#45 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

Right now I'm taking:
Latuda 111 mg
Zyprexa 2,5mg
Clonazepam 0.5-1.5mg
Mirtazapine 7.5mg

All right, great, this will be useful as we try to come up with a long-term solution. I'm a bit too tired to sort through it at the moment, alas.

What does "SD" and "TD" mean though?

It's taking everything I have to even write this... just sayin' it... my head feels like I'm moving through molasses, because I've taken on more social interaction than I can honestly take. *burnout syndrome coming right back*

But, a PLAN - you ARE working on one, right??

You are aware that Alcohol can only work in the short term, soon, you will feel tolerance, and then you're back at square one - and if you raise the dose... I'm afraid that Alcohol is known to cause psychosis at higher dosages - and if the alc' itself doesn't do it, then the ABSTINENCE will do it - also a known effect. (why abstinence does it is not known as far as I can tell - but it might be why some whom are NOT schizo get relief from anhedonia from hangover - some form of dopaminergic signalling upregulation)

Have you looked into Dihexa, getting a group buy going, or getting a trusted vendor to get carry it in their store?

Have you looked into getting your hands on Lithium?

Lithium in particular should prove to be the easiest to obtain, and I actually know of cases of Schizo's whom have had it prescribed - even though there is no proof that it helps with hallucinations or paranoia - presumably, I'm guessing, it's because their Dr's are aware of it's antidepressant properties, and perhaps even have observed effects on negative symptoms.

One of those schizo-peeps whom have been on it, happens to be the close relative of one of my best friends - the person is not on it any more though, because eventually the person tried ELECTRO CONVULSIVE THERAPY, and found that it helped more with negative symptoms. The person's cognition, social ability and depressive thoughts have all been fairly improved by it.

I know that's not necessarily an enticing option to suggest, but there is newer scientific evidence backing modern, controlled ECT - neurogenesis does occur, and because of the newer data, the newest algorithms for the treatment of ANOTHER psychosis-disorder, Bipolar, have now moved ECT way higher up on the list for treating depressive states.

I know it's not common in the USA, but here in Europe it's use has seen an upswing the last decade or so, mainly because of this new data.

You're probably aware of the side-effects - but don't let them blind you to the potential benefits.

It works.

References:
------------------- Augmentation of clozapine with electroconvulsive therapy in treatment resistant schizophrenia: A systematic review and meta-analysis
http://www.schres-jo...0024-X/fulltext
Electroconvulsive therapy for schizophrenia
http://www.cochrane....r-schizophrenia
(cochrane is the gold standard, if they come to the conclusion that ECT works for Schiz, then it bloody well works!)

Unilateral electroconvulsive therapy versus bilateral electroconvulsive therapy for schizophrenia (Protocol)

http://onlinelibrary...58.CD011933/pdf

I can't organize a group-buy for Dihexa. Maybe if someone else does it I would join after researching it.

My plan is to stick on to the lifestyle I'm living right now while keeping a close eye that my symptoms (my alcoholism, mood and psychotic) don't exacerbate.
I'm going on a long backpack vacation in about a month so it's impossible to start with something new right now (my psychiatrist won't allow it either).
After I'm back I'm going to drop Latuda and give Cariprazine a try (this also means my whole med regiment will change), maybe it'll relieve me of some negative and mood symptoms. I might also give Nardil a chance (never tried an MAOI) because it's a very interesting drug or go for a 20 session rTMS treatment (for depression) which is also very interesting or try ECT (I'm not scared of the side-effects, I've weight out the pro's and cons).

Anyway I'm OK and will maybe even better after the mentioned changes.

BTW TD = Tardive Dyskenesia (permanent movement disorder) and SD = sexual dysfunction

#46 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:13 PM

I might be an part-time alcoholic

What's that? You're​ either addicted or not.

It means I'm neither addicted or fully addicted. Don't be a wise ass jack black
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#47 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:30 PM

For some people, this works--

#48 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

Well, I had an appointment with my psychiatrist today and unfortunately I didn't get her to prescribe me Nardil, which, I was really excited about to try, instead she prescribed me a TCA, Doxepin (Sinequan). I'm not really excited to try this because I think this drug might not lift my mood enough to keep me away from alcohol (the only positive thing I can find so far about this drug is that it may aid my sleep and if I'm really really lucky, my mood and negatives).

And as far as my alcoholism goes, I'm pretty much done with alcohol, I'm just drinking out of boredom and to get through the day (instead of crawling in bed and being depressed/lethargic all day long). I'm not even looking forward to a alcoholic beverage like I did the first 1,5 months when I started so stopping alcohol is just a matter of time and most importantly making adjustments to my drug regimen. (Although I have to point out one positive effect my alcoholism had on me and that is that I don't have the slightest urge to compulsive gamble anymore).

What do you guys think how my current med regiment will affect me? My current regiment will be as followed:

Latuda - as my primary antipsychotic - either 37mg or 111mg (last week I went down from 111mg to 37mg because I blame the 111mg Latuda for my compulsive gamble addiction and for the akathisia/unpleasant feeling I've been having all day long)

Zyprexa - as my secondary antipsychotic and to aid my sleep - 2.5mg

Mirtazapine - as my primary sleep drug - either 7.5mg or 15mg (7.5mg is the most I can take on 111mg Latuda or it'll interact really bad, 15mg is the most I can take on 37mg Latuda)

Doxepin tomorrow first 25mg, increasing it up to 75mg in a week

Clonazepam - as my primary anti-anxiety drug - 0.5mg up to 1.5mg

Will the pharmacology of adding Doxepin to the mix do me any good on mainly depressive and negative symptoms?

Edited by YoungSchizo, 07 June 2017 - 04:50 PM.

#49 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:02 PM

And btw why are MAO medication not researched for (negative symptoms of) schizophrenia? Do I miss something or is it contraindicated? Can't find anything about this subject...

#50 jaiho

• 521 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:07 PM

MAOIs are effective for a range of clinical presentations in inpatients and outpatients—depressive disorders (endogenous and atypical, unipolar and bipolar, neurasthenic and phobic), anxiety disorders (panic disorder and social phobia), and conditions as far afield as borderline personality disorder and the negative symptoms of schizophrenia.4

http://www.mdedge.co...tment-resistant

Doxepin might work good. Give it a try and keep working with the doctor.

Edited by jaiho, 07 June 2017 - 06:07 PM.

• like x 1

#51 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:28 PM

MAOIs are effective for a range of clinical presentations in inpatients and outpatients—depressive disorders (endogenous and atypical, unipolar and bipolar, neurasthenic and phobic), anxiety disorders (panic disorder and social phobia), and conditions as far afield as borderline personality disorder and the negative symptoms of schizophrenia.4

http://www.mdedge.co...tment-resistant

Doxepin might work good. Give it a try and keep working with the doctor.

I couldn't get to page 3 from your link without prescribing. I don't understand, psychiatrist freak out to prescribing an MAO. From what I read on the social anxiety pages, there is nothing to be freaked about it. I'm more freaked out about Doxepin, it can be deadly combined with alcohol whereas combined with an MAO it can be fetal if you do not seek help due to a hypo-tension crises. I rather have a hypo-tension crises than die in my sleep (like someone on drugs.com whom has lost a brother by using Doxepin)

#52 jaiho

• 521 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

Yeah they do, because MAOIs require monitoring and the patient needs to be smart to not hurt themselves, and theres drug interactions.

But if you're smart about it and do your research, MAOIs are very safe.

Doxepin is a very potent anti histamine and probably wouldnt be my first choice.

#53 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

Yeah they do, because MAOIs require monitoring and the patient needs to be smart to not hurt themselves, and theres drug interactions.

But if you're smart about it and do your research, MAOIs are very safe.

Doxepin is a very potent anti histamine and probably wouldnt be my first choice.

Yeah, true, MAOI's seem quite safe, I've searched all throughout the internet about it and couldn't find a reason to not try it except that it might trigger my positive symptoms. If it does/did I'm done with it, but with Doxepin I'm unable to figure it out. Anyway, if I don't die in my sleep, I'll try Doxepin out for a week and see what happens.

Edited by YoungSchizo, 07 June 2017 - 06:56 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#54 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:30 PM

http://www.bulksuppl...ops-powder.html

Get off of the alcohol, try hops which are in beers if you want. Alcohol binds to the GABA receptors so it mimics GABA and alcohol inhibits glutamate. 3 supplements that do this are L-Theanine, Taurine, and Valerian Root. 

Make potions throughout the day. Buy off of bulksupplement. Buy bottled water and a scale and mix in your substances. 

Glycine increases GABA and is effective in treating schizophrenia. 

Buy some: 

L-Theanine powder

Taurine

Glycine

Lemon Balm

Picamilon

It seems with schizophrenia it is important to relax. Anyways these all will be better for you then alcohol and cheaper. Buy them all, split it out throughout the day. 

As for the pharma meds I have no clue about that. Still take your pharama meds obviously if you take some of this stuff. You might not need anti-anxiety meds if you take some of this stuff. 

Also google natural remedies for schizophrenia. 

http://mentalhealthd...educe-symptoms/

There are some natural supplements on that site I didn't list. 

Edited by Jiminy Glick, 07 June 2017 - 10:41 PM.

#55 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:32 PM

Tried theanine several times, I either don't notice anything positive or get anxious.

Yeah theanine is interesting, I notice I do get sort of the opposition of complete relaxation sometimes, could be the dopamine. It is a different state than something like Lemon Balm. I do like it though. 

Edited by Jiminy Glick, 07 June 2017 - 10:34 PM.

#56 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:26 PM

Hey guys, I didn't want to bother to open another thread about this subject. As you can notice from this thread I've kinda "successfully" self-medicated to this day to deal with this with alcohol when it comes to depression and negative symptoms of schizophrenia without experiencing any aggravation of positive symptoms.

However, this past Monday I started Topamax (as a sleep aid) and today I realized Topamax doesn't do shit to aid my sleep but it is a goddamn very effective anti-alcoholism drug. It's been only two days on the lowest dose (25mg) possible and I'm unable to feel the mental effects of alcohol that it usually has on me. The past 3-4 months I kinda "successfully" filled the gap of not feeling depressed or feeling "empty" and this creepy feeling is kinda creeping back into me with full of it force and if that's not the case, it's kinda lingering above my head again.

I'm in a stage right now where I'm about to say, OK, you had your alcoholic adventure (and where Topamax is saying: alcohol will keep you of the alcohol but will not brighten your mood as far as that you won't crave alcohol anymore and won't benefit from it's positive effects anymore) and right now the best thing is to getting back to "reality", which means is being depressed and wanting to sleep all day and avoid as many as incentives/stressors as possible, which in turn means: get up (more depressed than when I had alcohol), drink your coffee, gets some distraction by looking into news, news about new treatments (if any), play some games on your phone, go to the gym, take a nap (if even possible!), look for some distraction (watch some TV shows), hang around on these kind of informative but at the same time depressing forums and watch some more mind dulling TV shows). By the end of the day watch some more TV shows and go to bed.

On the other hand (without Topamax and with alcohol), it's: get up (more anxious than without touching alcohol), get some distraction by looking into news, news about new treatments (if any), play some games on your phone, force(!) myself(!) to go to the gym, don't sleep, be a less more depressed than usual (in social situations when sober), watch some TV shows, start with some beers, hang around social media instead of the forums (which is fun but at the same time also depressing), hang around more on social media and dull your mind more like "regular" people live their live their lives. By the end of the day watch some more TV shows and go to bed.

It's like a choice between two evils, one where I live the harsh reality that there is no treatment for (treatment resistant) depression, the other, where there is no treatment for (severe treatment resistant) negative symptoms.

What would you guys choose? Laying in bed all day and take comfort with it feeling like a corpse? Or try to live (with a mind altering substance) and try to enjoy your day but still, by the end of the day, you will still feel dead inside?

#57 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

None of the above.

I'd keep on the journey of finding a treatment which WORKS.

And as I've said before, Brexpiprazole could be useful - perhaps combined with Ondansetron and Reboxetine. To my knowledge, you have not trialled any of the three above drugs - two of whom are also antidepressants.

Another option, is Aripiprazole, but I think Brex might be better, since it's a less activating SDAM, so perhaps less likely to cause hallucinations than Arip.

Edited by Stinkorninjor, 24 August 2017 - 07:42 AM.

#58 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

None of the above.

And as I've said before, Brexpiprazole could be useful - perhaps combined with Ondansetron and Reboxetine. To my knowledge, you have not trialled any of the three above drugs - two of whom are also antidepressants.

Another option, is Aripiprazole, but I think Brex might be better, since it's a less activating SDAM, so perhaps less likely to cause hallucinations than Arip.

Like I said before, if I could trial those I would (already have checked the research into them), Ondasetron and Reboxetine are too expensive and I'm unable to obtain it through my pdoc off-label. Brexi is not on the market in Europe and won't be until somewhere in 2018/2019

That leaves me with the Abilify and afaik it's a potent antipsychotic but causes a lot of anxiety and is crap at treating negatives and/or depression. And besides I'm waiting for Cariprazine, which should be on the market soon, that's a drug that might help a little to maybe great with negatives and depression.

And then there's Nardil and/or Parnate I'm willing to give a shot. If those also fail I'm pretty much left clueless to tackle my symptoms.

#59 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:04 PM

None of the above.

Like I said before, if I could trial those I would (already have checked the research into them), Ondasetron and Reboxetine are too expensive and I'm unable to obtain it through my pdoc off-label. Brexi is not on the market in Europe and won't be until somewhere in 2018/2019

That leaves me with the Abilify and afaik it's a potent antipsychotic but causes a lot of anxiety and is crap at treating negatives and/or depression. And besides I'm waiting for Cariprazine, which should be on the market soon, that's a drug that might help a little to maybe great with negatives and depression.

And then there's Nardil and/or Parnate I'm willing to give a shot. If those also fail I'm pretty much left clueless to tackle my symptoms.

My apologies, my memory is not the best.

Why is your Pdoc unwilling to prescribe them? Reboxetine in particular shouldn't be a problem, since you DO have depression, so it wouldn't even be off-label - why does she hesitate? Honestly, playing it too close by the book is merely stupid when a patient is as ill as you seem to be.

Cariprazine is a good idea! : ) Good to hear it's finally close to market here in the EU.

I just checked online regarding Ondansetron though, and it actually seems fairly available, only problem would be the price - it is available for cheaper in some stores, but some of them do look kind of shifty...

But have a look at this list - the ones in the UK shouldn't be an issue ordering from. (until brexit takes hold, that is! lol!)

https://www.pharmacy...dansetron/4 mg/

I wouldn't try Nardil or Parnate except in a controlled environment (i.e, the psychiatric ward) and/or with a fast-acting antipsychotic at hand.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#60 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:52 PM

None of the above.

My apologies, my memory is not the best.

Why is your Pdoc unwilling to prescribe them? Reboxetine in particular shouldn't be a problem, since you DO have depression, so it wouldn't even be off-label - why does she hesitate? Honestly, playing it too close by the book is merely stupid when a patient is as ill as you seem to be.

Cariprazine is a good idea! : ) Good to hear it's finally close to market here in the EU.

I just checked online regarding Ondansetron though, and it actually seems fairly available, only problem would be the price - it is available for cheaper in some stores, but some of them do look kind of shifty...

But have a look at this list - the ones in the UK shouldn't be an issue ordering from. (until brexit takes hold, that is! lol!)

https://www.pharmacy...dansetron/4 mg/

I wouldn't try Nardil or Parnate except in a controlled environment (i.e, the psychiatric ward) and/or with a fast-acting antipsychotic at hand.

Sorry, I've confused Reboxetine with another class of medication. Yes, I have access to Reboxetine, but I'm a bit reluctant about SSRI's, SNRI's or what not because it'll take much time (and suffering) to mix and match till I find a combination that works and be OK with the possible side-effects.

Thanks for the link, I had only looked at the pharmacy price for Ondansetron at the pharmacy where I ordered a drug the last time (there it's 50 pills for 171USD).

At this point I'm desperate man, I'm sick of feeling ill day in day out for the past 12 years, I'm willing to risk taking Nardil or Parnate, maybe I will be lucky with a shot in the dark. If it aggravates positive symptoms then I will take the SSRI + SNRI route to combat negative and depressive symptoms.

Edited by YoungSchizo, 24 August 2017 - 03:55 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: schizophrenia, alcohol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users