• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Are we all just a bunch of Narcissistic Hypochondriacs?

hypochondria narcissism longevity

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 YOLF

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:38 AM

My brethren. 

I am talking about the unhinged misdirection of a very specific type of knowledge. 

That is, knowledge of the biological processes of the body. 

The misdirected part is when your subconscious mind summons ridiculous notions about what may or may not be happening beneath the surface layer of your body. To the degree that it becomes unnecessarily hyper vigilant about every click and tick it makes. Clicks and ticks which, in homeostasis, are relatively normal. 

Clicks and ticks which, interpreted through this misdirected excess knowledge, summon the above mentioned ridiculous and hypochondriacal notions. 

(Continuing to bite)

Everything is a diagnostic indicator in basic biology, such thinking simply isn't good for your health. If your body clicks or ticks, there is a cause. You just don't know what it is yet. Your understanding hasn't reached that level of detail yet, and when it does, it might very well predict your future. Those notions might very well give you insider knowledge into aging mechanics that others who ignore data simply won't see. You must be an information opportunist. Think in as many personas as possible and think as all the magnificent minds.

#32 YOLF

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:48 AM

Maybe as always it's never that accurate to generalize. For example, before I've been blissfully ignorant of anything health-related, In short, ate and did what I want and considered meaningful. Health-wise I did have already a share of dangerous diseases, but it seemed my immune-system knew by itself how to get rid of about anything, with me just being pacient.

Then after age 40 a debilitating disease stroke where my immune-system could help naught, and conventional medicine too risky. Therefore I joined mainly because of many members here at that time very knowledgeable about bio-chemistry. In that time learned a lot, which I would like to have known before to avoid the debilitation.

In my case there has been and still is obsession, but also reversing a 60% walking disability. Now I'm more obsessed with being at ease with whatever might come along.

So at least in me I can observe a positive progression. Also with others who did take a break from the ceaseless discussions.

Depends on the attitude one engages with. I did that already before becoming health-conscious in extensive Buddhist mindfulness training. Which indeed can be existentially dangerous to the ongoing self-image-creation, but in a very rewarding way.

Or as the popular christian prayer goes:

God, give me grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.

Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace..

My version: 

God, give me power to change with serenity of mind
the things they say cannot be changed,
Courage to change the impossible
which need to be changed,
and the Wisdom to gather the information that I need to do so.

Solving one problem at a time,
Looking forward to more moments everyday,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to success that I can be at peace with.

There is so much at our fingertips, we just need to invest in ourselves and we can be the builders of the once-thought impossible. No matter how long, you only have one life to live, and there is a way to achieve everything, all you need is more time, and that's what we specialize in here.

#33 YOLF

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:25 AM

What the actual phuck is that?

And where is ANYBODY trying to add context into the equation?

All the context you need:

Each study had a different group of participants based on extant genetics. Pennsylvania has lots of people who carry the genetics of William Penn for instance. Better studies in the genetics arena have discovered what have been termed FTO, Fatso, or  genes. The FTO genes determine a large but not exhaustive portion of your metabolism. If you'd never have a problem with weight no matter what, you have the good set (about 12% of the general population), otherwise, you're missing one two or both good genes. One of them being the better copy will give you better health with fats, and the other carbs. If you have both bad copies, you're more screwed than the other portion of the remaining 88%.  The good FTO genes are also key linchpins in unlocking other lifespand and youthspan genes that you might have and can determine whether or not you get to benefit from them. My study of genetics tells me that almost nothing short of a complete genetic overhaul will be sufficient for the endless cascade of goals that logically follow given our mission (or maybe just my expectations of our mission... some of you would be happy with far too little). 

There are some valid enhancements in the gene therapy pipe that may make us live longer, but they are just spongebob band-aides (they work and get the job done, but we still won't have perfect health and youth) until we get to the point where we can do complete overhauls of our genetics, and the same for our food and everything else that goes into our body.. An example might be the Myostatin knock out gene therapy. It will increase energy expenditure and improve some metrics, but for those with any bad luck FTO genes, their benefits will still be limited and they won't see the lifespan benefit of someone who is just naturally healthy. I also wouldn't get the myostatin knockout without the HTERT repeat for telomere maintenance. 

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:54 AM

My version: 

God, give me power to change with serenity of mind
the things they say cannot be changed,
Courage to change the impossible
which need to be changed,
and the Wisdom to gather the information that I need to do so.

Solving one problem at a time,
Looking forward to more moments everyday,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to success that I can be at peace with.

There is so much at our fingertips, we just need to invest in ourselves and we can be the builders of the once-thought impossible. No matter how long, you only have one life to live, and there is a way to achieve everything, all you need is more time, and that's what we specialize in here.

So YOLF, with your 'lacking a bit in humbleness' one piece at a time approach - what kind of seemingly impossible have you accomplished thereby yet? - Any disability or anything else already reversed? - As I proactively did without wasting time in my case?

If I look a your My regular stack (test) I see nothing beyond yet ;)

Ingredient | Dosage | Frequency | Administration |

blah | 100 mg | Daily | No instructions provided.

Some month ago you did announce something more advanced. Any tiny results coming out after making that announcement yet?

#35 YOLF

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

My "hypochondria" has lead me through a series of symptoms and disabilities, yes. I've been down and out, gotten back up, and know my path forward for the next decade or so at least to get maximum lifespan and health. I won't go into details, It's not that I've cured cancer, it's that I've understood things beyond boundaries of knowledge for having a personal, self-directed perspective. I have an adaptive understanding that can produce novel results that are in-line with my goals. Have I done the impossible? According to some who would be expected to know better but didn't. Have I accepted second class medicine? No, I've got or can improvise black card medicine. 

• Needs references x 1
  • like x 1

#36 YOLF

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:11 AM

Oh, to clarify on the FTO post above, FTO is 10 SNPs, but 3 pairs seem to be the most important of them.

#37 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:18 AM

I think you can't really generalize like that...However, I think a lot of people do go through a phase at the beginning where they worry about everything they put in their body and take things to the extreme.

As you know, I've been doing CR for a while now. It's been around 15 years since I changed my diet completely. At the start, I did get a bit more anxious about my health and symptoms, but I learned to relax over the years. I'm pretty laid back about things these days... nothing related to diet supplements feels a big deal anymore.

That's not because I don't think CR works, it's just integrated well into my life that I hardly think about it. Although, I have run into issues with a zinc deficiency last year which caused me to become like a spotty teenager again.

So while we don't have to constantly worry about everything we do, it's worth it to pay attention to your body and your diet to maintain yourself in good health. 

Everyone has some level of narcissism, vanity, but I highly doubt most people here are "narcissistic". Probably shouldn't throw around that word so easily.

I think most of us in time self-regulate and balance out over time. At least that's what's happened with me and my CR lifestyle. 

But honestly, I'm so glad I got involved in the life extension community. I mean, I can't imagine the direction my life would have gone it. Some of my of the people from school look like they could almost be my father or mother. It's pretty scary. D:

p.s I always have to edit my posts because the formatting keeps screwing up.  :laugh:

Edited by Matt, 20 April 2018 - 02:20 AM.

• Well Written x 1

#38 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:55 AM

I think you can't really generalize like that...However, I think a lot of people do go through a phase at the beginning where they worry about everything they put in their body and take things to the extreme.

As you know, I've been doing CR for a while now. It's been around 15 years since I changed my diet completely. At the start, I did get a bit more anxious about my health and symptoms, but I learned to relax over the years. I'm pretty laid back about things these days... nothing related to diet supplements feels a big deal anymore.

That's not because I don't think CR works, it's just integrated well into my life that I hardly think about it. Although, I have run into issues with a zinc deficiency last year which caused me to become like a spotty teenager again.

So while we don't have to constantly worry about everything we do, it's worth it to pay attention to your body and your diet to maintain yourself in good health. 

Everyone has some level of narcissism, vanity, but I highly doubt most people here are "narcissistic". Probably shouldn't throw around that word so easily.

I think most of us in time self-regulate and balance out over time. At least that's what's happened with me and my CR lifestyle. 

But honestly, I'm so glad I got involved in the life extension community. I mean, I can't imagine the direction my life would have gone it. Some of my of the people from school look like they could almost be my father or mother. It's pretty scary. D:

p.s I always have to edit my posts because the formatting keeps screwing up.  :laugh:

What's up bro?

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to have your opinion.

What I mean is, there's no Yin/Yang in a lot of the recent posts i've been seeing splashed around this community, it seems either Yin or Yang. 

I certainly wouldn't call the idea "everything works and everything doesn't work" a balanced one. I would call that insane. 

What i'm trying to do here is bring some sanity back into the equation and let people know it's okay to KNOW what you're talking about, to have confidence with it and to approach this subject matter with absolute certainty regarding principles, dietary and otherwise, that you're 100% certain work. 

By the way, sorry I haven't chatted you up on FB lately. I Still see your posts sometimes. 

I'll hit you up soon. 

• Cheerful x 1

#39 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:18 AM

You probably won't see much from me on Facebook for a while... Not sure when I'll end up going back on there.

I also have to stay away to be more productive and work on my CR site and a hair website I created.

Hope everything's good with you... we'll catch up soon, somehow! Just not on FB lol

Edited by Matt, 22 April 2018 - 12:19 AM.

#40 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:31 PM

You probably won't see much from me on Facebook for a while... Not sure when I'll end up going back on there.

I also have to stay away to be more productive and work on my CR site and a hair website I created.

Hope everything's good with you... we'll catch up soon, somehow! Just not on FB lol

Haha what ever you need to do man.

I only use facebook to make fun of its weirdnesses. 

Good luck with where your primary focus is going. I work a lot on many things, including myself. 

• Cheerful x 1

#41 Mr Serendipity

• 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:38 PM

Are we all just a bunch of Narcissistic Hypochondriacs?

We're all just a bunch of egotistical neurotic assholes, living our lives through subconscious fears we don't even realize, trying to figure out the meaning of our pitiful existence and self worth, by obsessively clinging onto topics and ideas which peak our interest, so we can prove to others we do have something to offer and require attention because of it, only to finally realise that no one really gives a shit, because they all suffer from the exact same condition you're suffering from, before ending up dead, rotten, and forgotten by our great grandchildren generation onwards.

Edited by manny, 19 May 2018 - 09:40 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#42 Mr Serendipity

• 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:48 PM

Here is a poem I wrote a few years back, which may help explain or convolute my previous answer, you decide:

A struggle and a strife,

These encompass life,

The making and breaking,

Your feet on ground shaking,

Knocked down to rise up,
To be killed by a final blow,
Rejected and hurt,
To a love you’ll never know,

Written from the heart,

Organised by the mind,

Sown with pen and paper,

Read aloud by the blind,

For men and women are made,

Like the cats and dogs who chase,

To be enjoyed for just a moment,

Until well intentions get misplaced,

The troubled soul, as he coils,

The wealthy king, as he’s royal,

The braved soldier, as he’s loyal,
But all feel the same as they toil,

For the burden is heavier when lifted,

Then from whence it once was placed,
For the mind is a wicked tormentor,

Fearing what it has yet to face,

And so the poet and the painter,

The musician and rainmaker,
And of course the butcher and baker,

All given names to the struggling souls of men,
Who hope for a better day until their dreaded end.

Edited by manny, 19 May 2018 - 09:49 PM.

• Needs references x 1

#43 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:58 AM

This is Called Mother Fuckery. 

Live life,

Like some other

Mother fucker

Ain't makin it

or like

Your other

Sister, brother

Don't have the power

To make you fake it. 

Don't give a Fuck,

but don't show it.

Only show that which

Abandons the fuckery.

The Stupid Mother-Fuckery

Causing your eyes to bleed

from seeing all the stabbing shit

that leads you to be that miserly

old prick in a old prick suit. 

Fuck that suit, it's threads are worn.

Fuck that old hurt, it's too fucking torn. 

Fuck the mother fucker

Who takes the worst of his mother

and tries to make like you're his kid

and he's your dad or big brother. 

We don't need that dying shit

in this life meant to live.

We don't need that wrinkled skin

mucking up our sweet dreams. 

Seriously, hear me, 

FUCK the FUCKING FUCKERY. 

Seriously, hear me,

To FUCK with the mother FUCKERY!

Edited by TheFountain, 22 May 2018 - 07:15 AM.

#44 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:10 AM

By the way,

There's a place for father figures and big brother figures. But not when they're trying to put ya down and clown ya. 

Only the bestest of the bestest deserve those positions in life. 

• Agree x 1

#45 OP2040

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:27 PM

wow, there are some eccentric people on this site, I guess that's how I know I belong lol. 

Back to the subject of the thread.  Hypochondria to me, is a normal reaction to having much more access to information about biology and our bodies than we had in the past.  Don't 1st year med students almost all become hypochondriacs for a time?  The question is whether it becomes debilitating or you learn to deal with it in a more healthy way.

The narcissism however, does bother me a little.  I've long thought about what it would mean if we actually got what we wanted and lived in complete health to an indefinite age.  And oddly, the thing that bothers me most about losing aging is that it seems to humble people.  That is certainly what it's done for me.  I'm much more understanding and compassionate then when I was young and felt I was invincible.  And if people that grow up without aging at all, they will never go through that rite of passage.  And honestly, there are a lot of douchebags out there whose douchebaggery would be multiplied 1000X in such an environment.

Ultimately, I think this will be ok anyway due to social pressure.  If anything, we are more dependent than ever on other humans for our survival.  This necessitates that people at least pretend to not be narcissists.  And also, combine that with the fact that we will be able to change our identities for the most part.  Over time, most people will be required by force of sheer logic to change who they are as a person.  This could server a similar function that death used to.  If I change my disease states, my gender, some aspects of my personality or body in an attempt to improve myself, then I can no longer be narcissistic by definition.  If anything, over time I can identify with more and more people having been literally in their shoes at least once. 

• Well Written x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hypochondria, narcissism, longevity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users