GPC (choline), Uridine, DHA

choline uridine dha omega-3 epa ump tau b vitamins

• Please log in to reply
2844 replies to this topic

#1111 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

L methyl folate gives me tinitus it's interesting that that's been brought up as I thought it was just me and it's the reason I no longer take it.

With uridine, I have had many weeks of experimentation now. I can only conclude that I am hyper sensitive to it. It makes me ultra focussed, with similarities to piracetam in the way it ramps my brain up. For me, this does feel more cholinergic than it having anti-depressive effects so I would classify it as another nootropic. I guess it is probably antidepresive to those who really need it. Overall, It worsened my OCD and this usually results in loss of libido, which indeed, was the end result.

I think I just need to accept the fact that nootropics are not for me. My depression has to be the main priority now, hence I have returned to anti-depressants. I did try augmenting uridine with my lexapro for a while but it still had the same gear wrenching effects.

I know it's a bit simplistic but I think my brain needs calming down, not speeding up. I was only taking 100mg a day. That says it all really.

Good luck to those who are having success with it. It definitely had an effect for me, even if it was not positive in the end.

Edited by Thorsten2, 25 May 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#1112 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

L methyl folate gives me tinitus it's interesting that that's been brought up as I thought it was just me and it's the reason I no longer take it.

With uridine, I have had many weeks of experimentation now. I can only conclude that I am hyper sensitive to it. It makes me ultra focussed, with similarities to piracetam in the way it ramps my brain up. For me, this does feel more cholinergic than it having anti-depressive effects so I would classify it as another nootropic. I guess it is probably antidepresive to those who really need it. Overall, It worsened my OCD and this usually results in loss of libido, which indeed, was the end result.

I think I just need to accept the fact that nootropics are not for me. My depression has to be the main priority now, hence I have returned to anti-depressants. I did try augmenting uridine with my lexapro for a while but it still had the same gear wrenching effects.

I know it's a bit simplistic but I think my brain needs calming down, not speeding up. I was only taking 100mg a day. That says it all really.

Good luck to those who are having success with it. It definitely had an effect for me, even if it was not positive in the end.

Have you tried taking less?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1113 Godot

• 198 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

After 10 days, I noticed: vivid dreams, lethargy, moodiness, decreased libido, substantially decreased recovery from exercise, reduced hangovers from alcohol.

#1114 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

After 10 days, I noticed: vivid dreams, lethargy, moodiness, decreased libido, substantially decreased recovery from exercise, reduced hangovers from alcohol.

10 days of what?

#1115 Godot

• 198 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

250mg UMP orally before bed. I was already taking all the cofactors.

#1116 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

250mg UMP orally before bed. I was already taking all the cofactors.

I think UMP has helped me, but I've only taken it early in the morning.

#1117 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:45 AM

Well, it sounds like you had enough dopamine/serotonin. The reduction of hangovers it the key.

#1118 Godot

• 198 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:35 AM

Well, it sounds like you had enough dopamine/serotonin. The reduction of hangovers it the key.

This sounds very interesting. Can you say more?

#1119 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Have you tried taking less?

Less L methyl folate?

Well, in the early days when I was using it to augment an antidepressant I was taking up to 10mg a day but cut back eventually to 800mcg. I still had issues with tinnitus even at this dose.

#1120 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

I hate to simplify things but to me uridine felt like it was really giving my brain a work out so an increase in my OCD was inevitable. Increased brain activity, in my case, leads to increased rummination and depressive thought loops which then hits my libido. The racetams do the same thing to me. Maybe it's the same for you with the libido thing?

I don't think there is any literature that supports the notion that uridine lowers libido by any scientific mechanism, not from what I've seen anyway.

As an example, I am back on lexapro and where I now care less about trivial stuff (especially what other people think or say) I have noticed my libido has shot back up again. I honestly think that stress has a big part to play with libido although for a lot of you here I am probably stating the obvious by saying that.

I did give uridine a decent trial (I think it was almost a month) and there were some very nice benefits to it but if you suffer with a chronic mood disorder like me it might not be your best approach.

Edited by Thorsten2, 28 May 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#1121 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

Less L methyl folate?

Well, in the early days when I was using it to augment an antidepressant I was taking up to 10mg a day but cut back eventually to 800mcg. I still had issues with tinnitus even at this dose.

Less UMP - say, the equivalent of 50-75mg, orally.

#1122 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

It wouldn't do any harm in trying I suppose.

#1123 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

I hate to simplify things but to me uridine felt like it was really giving my brain a work out so an increase in my OCD was inevitable. Increased brain activity, in my case, leads to increased rummination and depressive thought loops which then hits my libido. The racetams do the same thing to me. Maybe it's the same for you with the libido thing?

I don't think there is any literature that supports the notion that uridine lowers libido by any scientific mechanism, not from what I've seen anyway.

As an example, I am back on lexapro and where I now care less about trivial stuff (especially what other people think or say) I have noticed my libido has shot back up again. I honestly think that stress has a big part to play with libido although for a lot of you here I am probably stating the obvious by saying that.

I did give uridine a decent trial (I think it was almost a month) and there were some very nice benefits to it but if you suffer with a chronic mood disorder like me it might not be your best approach.

In retrospect, I'm pretty sure I did have a chronic (months to years) mood disorder. Perhaps uridine did not cure it, but I generally feel much more optimistic and less anxious since I started taking it.

#1124 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hey Guys
Could someone sum up the cofactors mentioned in this thread and explain why they are considered "cofactors" ? Have been reading several pages now and just can not find the science behind them.
Just noticed most people are taking the following supps with it:

Vit B12
Vit B9 (in excess this increases cancer risk, right?)
Vit E

Anything else? Thanks ;-)

Another question: where does the Serotonin connection come from? I understand that Uridine is a Dopamine modulator, but does it have any direct effect on Serotonin? I do not have any issues with Serotonin, so playing around with it wouldn't be wise I guess. ..

Edited by Cephalon, 28 May 2012 - 09:37 PM.

#1125 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

Hey Guys
Could someone sum up the cofactors mentioned in this thread and explain why they are considered "cofactors" ? Have been reading several pages now and just can not find the science behind them.
Just noticed most people are taking the following supps with it:

Vit B12
Vit B9 (in excess this increases cancer risk, right?)
Vit E

Anything else? Thanks ;-)

Another question: where does the Serotonin connection come from? I understand that Uridine is a Dopamine modulator, but does it have any direct effect on Serotonin? I do not have any issues with Serotonin, so playing around with it wouldn't be wise I guess. ..

Dopamine and seratonin levels do affect each other somewhat.

Cofactors:
DHA+EPA (medium to high dose)
Good multi-vitamin that includes the RDA of folate/folic acid (400mcg)
Choline or a cholinergic of choice
Vitamin E (mixed tocopherols)

I've gone off Berocca as the multi. Seems that something in it, possibly the aspartame, was not helpful.

#1126 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hey Mr Happy, thanks for your quick reply!

Why are Folic Acid and Vitamin E considered a cofactor?

#1127 yoann_co

• 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

Hello everyone, this is my first post, although I am a longtime "lurker". I haven't posted anything until now because, to be honest, most of the interesting problems and queries which appear in the threads on this board are addressed so competently that I felt like I had little of value to add.

However, I would like to point out that I believe I am on to something interesting with regards to the DHA, Uridine, Choline combo (AKA "Gerbil diet"). I took this stack for about 2 weeks, one month ago, and noticed some benefit, but not to the level which some here seemed to be describing, or indeed, that the studies seemed to imply. About a week and a half ago, I restarted the combo, deciding to stick to it because I reasoned that it was probably doing me good despite the lack of overt effects. The first few days, everything was as it had been during my first go at this stack: slightly increased energy, slightly increased concentration facility, slightly increased <insert parameter which the Gerbil Diet is supposed to help with>.

About 4 days ago, I decided after many hours of research to start supplementing my diet with Flavonoids, and began drinking a concoction of raw Cacao powder and Grape Seed Extract. I began to notice, that same day, that every time I took the Gerbil Combo (which is twice per day, morning and evening), the effects seemed very powerful, to the point where I was noticing it very strongly: a pronounced sens of well-being (not "euphoric", more "adiaphoretic" [gotta love those Greek words]), mental clarity, social "reasoning" (i.e. understanding and acting upon social cues with greater ease, speed and accuracy), and greater impulse control. In other words, it had a very strong normalizing effect, where "normal" became a high level equilibrium which was more difficult to disturb, comparatively, than my previous "baseline" state.

I was convinced that the Flavonoids had something to do with it, since the change occurred simultaneously, and there were no other noticeable modifications to my daily life which could account for such a dramatic and sudden jump in the quality of the effects of the Gerbil Combo. Today, I stumbled across the following study:

Dietary flavonoids increase plasma very long-chain (n-3) fatty acids in rats.

Toufektsian MC, Salen P, Laporte F, Tonelli C, de Lorgeril M.

Source

Laboratoire Cœur et Nutrition, TIMC-IMAG CNRS UMR 5525, Faculté de Médecine, Université Joseph Fourier, 38000 Grenoble, France.

Abstract

Flavonoids probably contribute to the health benefits associated with the consumption of fruit and vegetables. However, the mechanisms by which they exert their effects are not fully elucidated. PUFA of the (n-3) series also have health benefits. Epidemiological and clinical studies have suggested that wine flavonoids may interact with the metabolism of (n-3) PUFA and increase their blood and cell levels. The present studies in rats were designed to assess whether flavonoids actually increase plasma levels of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), the main very long-chain (n-3) PUFA. Rats were fed a corn-derived anthocyanin (ACN)-rich (ACN-rich) or ACN-free diet with constant intakes of plant and marine (n-3) PUFA for 8 wk (Expt. 1). Plasma fatty acids were measured by GC. The ACN-rich diet contained ~0.24 ± 0.01 mg of ACN/g pellets. There were no significant differences between groups in the main saturated, monounsaturated, and (n-6) fatty acids. In contrast, plasma EPA and DHA were greater in the ACN-rich diet group than in the ACN-free diet group (P < 0.05). We obtained similar results in 2 subsequent experiments in which rats were administered palm oil (80 μL/d) and consumed the ACN-rich or ACN-free diet (Expt. 2) or were supplemented with fish oil (60 mg/d, providing 35 mg DHA and 12 mg EPA) and consumed the ACN-rich or ACN-free diet (Expt. 3). In both experiments, plasma EPA and DHA were significantly greater in the ACN-rich diet group. These studies demonstrate that the consumption of flavonoids increases plasma very long-chain (n-3) PUFA levels. These data confirm previous clinical and epidemiological studies and provide new insights into the health benefits of flavonoids.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21068183

I then decided to scan this thread to see if the responders to the Gerbil diet had been using some sort of Flavonoid supplementation in their stacks. As soon as I saw that Mr Happy, the original in-house advocate of the Gerbil Combo, included Grape Seed Extract in his stack, I decided to post this here in order to inform people that this may be the missing link for people who have not gotten the excellent results experienced by others. The fact that the Souvenaid formulation includes "antioxidants" as a crucial ingredient, further cemented my opinion that an as yet undiscovered (to my knowledge) link between Flavonoids/antioxidants and the effectiveness of the Gerbil Combo may exist. I am not suggesting that Flavonoids are merely antioxidants, it is a known fact that this is not the case. But perhaps, in their role as antioxidants, they make cells more permeable to the DHA, which is an indispensable component of this stack.

Be of that what may, I have noticed greatly improved effectiveness from the Gerbil combo since the addition of flavonoid supplementation. The above study, and the factors mentioned in the paragraph above, have led me to post this in the hope that others may try it and see if it improves their success with it, as I believe it has done with me.

I am not a doctor, or student of any biological science, so excuse me if my reasoning contains elemental flaws with regards to the functioning of these compounds. However, I can attest that there seems to be a strong correlation (despite n=1, so far), and some ancillary evidence, to support this as a possible route to greatly enhancing the effectiveness of this stack. The fact that flavonoids are pretty much harmless (at worst) make this possibility all the more compelling and worth trying.

Dopamine and seratonin levels do affect each other somewhat.

Cofactors:
DHA+EPA (medium to high dose)
Good multi-vitamin that includes the RDA of folate/folic acid (400mcg)
Choline or a cholinergic of choice
Vitamin E (mixed tocopherols)

I've gone off Berocca as the multi. Seems that something in it, possibly the aspartame, was not helpful.

Hi everybody
Hi MrHappy, thank you for everything ;-)

What do you think MrHappy about Grape Seed Extract which seems to be a very important cofactor for uridine.
In Heraclitean's case the combo was not so impressive without, but with the combo is powerfull.
I'm not completely satisfied of my stack at the moment, maybe this point is the key? Also I think (like Heraclitean) you and Hebbeh have already Grape Seed Extract in your stack, and we all know you've got wonderful results with uridine.

Thanks

Yoann

#1128 Nooby

• 45 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Why would you take this as conclusive that grape seed is actually the missing piece of the jigsaw? It's simply something to try that's all.

#1129 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:14 PM

Why are Folic Acid and Vitamin E considered a cofactor?

It'll accelerate the effects of a folate deficiency, so best not to have one.

Edited by MrHappy, 03 June 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#1130 yoann_co

• 11 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Why would you take this as conclusive that grape seed is actually the missing piece of the jigsaw? It's simply something to try that's all.

I'm not an expert, but :

""""""""""

Seven Ways to Promote Brain Health

When enhancing cognitive health, the best approach is to begin with Cognitive Health Formula™ and Neuron Growth Factors™, then add the supplements that address the factors below, as applicable to individual health needs. While each of the supplements listed below provides specific support for each factor involved in brain health, Cognitive Health Formula and Neuron Growth Factors lay an overall foundation, indicating that they can be used as part of a complete cognitive health regimen.

1) Increasing Antioxidant Levels.

Extension Antioxidant contains some of the most powerful and well-researched antioxidants including n-acetyl cysteine, bilberry, rosemary, turmeric, green tea, grape seed, and lutein. Each of these antioxidants can reduce lipid peroxidation and therefore can help support brain health.1-6

http://www.cpmedical...te-brain-health

Nutritional Strategies to Preserve Memory and Cognition

Blueberries: Antioxidant Protection for Brain Health

Neuroscientists are continually searching for natural agents that can protect brain cells from the devastating effects of oxidative stress and inflammation. Blueberries are rich in the powerful antioxidant phytochemicals known as polyphenols, which include proanthocyanidins that are particularly beneficial for brain health.66-69
A recent report found that blueberry extracts exert the same anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities as the whole fruit.70 Anthocyanidin molecules from such extracts have been shown to cross the blood-brain barrier, making them accessible to neurons.71
When free radicals attack delicate brain cells, they disrupt optimal cellular function and often cause age-related cognitive decline.72 In an experimental rat model, a diet supplemented with plant-derived antioxidants reversed age-related decline in memory and cognition.73 Other studies have shown that increasing dietary intake of antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables can maintain optimal neuronal function and cognition well into old age.74-76
In one study, scientists discovered that supplementation with blueberries prevented memory loss in aged rats. Researchers fed one group of rats a diet supplemented with blueberries and fed another group a control diet. The animals were then tested for object-recognition memory. The blueberry-fed rats performed significantly better than the control group, suggesting that supplementation with blueberries restored youthful levels of function in the aging brain.75
Intriguingly, the researchers also tested for levels of nuclear factor-kappa beta (NFkB) in the rats after supplementation with blueberries. A naturally occurring compound in cells, NFkB increases production of inflammatory mediators that often initiate degenerative diseases. The scientists found that NFkB levels were significantly lower in rats fed blueberries compared to controls, and that when NFkB levels were lower, the rats scored higher on memory tests.75
Animal studies also indicate that blueberries help maintain high levels of new cell generation in the hippocampus, the brain area that suffers extensive damage in Alzheimer’s disease.77
Oxidative stress is a major factor in the development of Alzheimer’s, along with overproduction of the beta-amyloid protein, which appears to cause cell destruction. The result is damaged cells that are then unable to manufacture or respond normally to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.
A group of scientists sought to determine whether blueberries have a protective effect on rats bred to have Alzheimer’s disease.78 Astonishingly, they determined that a blueberry-supplemented diet caused Alzheimer’s-bred rats to perform normally on tests of memory and motor behavior. A surprising finding was that levels of destructive beta-amyloid protein in the test animals’ brains did not differ from those of normal rats. The researchers concluded that a diet incorporating blueberries may help overcome genetic predispositions to Alzheimer’s disease.
Other studies of blueberries and cognitive health have found that blueberries provide important protection against destructive inflammation in the brain.79 Brain memory regions of young and old rats fed either a blueberry diet or control diet were subjected to an inflammatory challenge and then examined for production of a protein that would indicate a normal protective response to stress. The protein level in the blueberry-fed aged rats was completely restored within four hours of the inflammatory stimulus. This kind of rapid effect suggests that blueberry supplementation could improve neuroprotective responses to diseases with a mixed oxidative and inflammatory cause, such as Alzheimer’s.
Grape Seed Extract: Guarding Against Senile Plaque Formation

The brain’s extraordinarily complex circuitry generates massive amounts of oxygen free radicals that may play an important role in the impairment of healthy brain activity that commonly accompanies aging.
Rich in polyphenols, grape seed extract is considered one of nature’s most potent antioxidants. Researchers believe that grape seed’s antioxidant properties confer broad-spectrum protection against premature aging, disease, and decay; in fact, grape seed extract packs 20 times more antioxidant power than vitamin E and 50 times more antioxidant power than vitamin C.80 These attributes have led many scientists to suggest that grape seed extract is an essential nutrient for maintaining optimal brain health and function.
Grape seed extract not only improves blood circulation by strengthening capillaries, arteries, and veins, but also prevents the formation of senile plaques that can severely damage the brains of those with dementia.81 For example, South Korean scientists treated the brain cells of rats with grape seed extract before exposing them to the toxic beta-amyloid protein. Beta amyloid promotes the development of plaques that accumulate in the brains of patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Treatment with grape seed extract conferred significant protection on the rat brain cells. While the untreated rat brain cells sustained acute free-radical damage and subsequently died, cells treated with grape seed extract suffered little damage.81
In research published in 2006, Indian scientists sought to evaluate grape seed extract’s effects on the accumulation of oxidative DNA damage seen in normal aging. They administered grape seed extract to young and aged albino rats for 30 days. In rats that received the extract, grape seed extract inhibited the accumulation of age-related oxidative DNA damage in the spinal cord and in various brain regions such as the cerebral cortex, striatum, and hippocampus—the very sites involved in thinking, processing, and memory that are most degraded in neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.82
http://www.lef.org/m...cognitex_03.htm

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Also if you look at cognitex facts from LEF (I know the previous example is also^^) there is :

Alpha-Glyceryl Phosphoryl Choline (A-GPC) 600 mg ** Phosphatidylserine [Sharp-PS GOLD Conjugated Phosphatidylserine-DHA] 100 mg ** Vinpocetine 20 mg ** Leucoselect Phytosome [containing 50 mg grape seed (Vitis vinifera) procyanidin extract complexed with soy (Glycine max) phospholipids (bean)] 150 mg ** Wild Blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium) Extract (fruit) [std. to 4.9% Total Anthocyanins (7.35 mg)] 150 mg ** Sensoril Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) Extract (root and leaves) [standardized to 8% withanolide glycoside conjugates (10 mg)] 125 mg ** Uridine-5'-Monophosphate (disodium) 50 mg ** Proprietary NeuroProtection Complex Blend
Perluxan Hops (Humulus lupulus) Standardized Extract (cones),
Ginger (Zingiber officinale) Standardized Extract (rhizome),
Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) Standardized Extract (leaves) 125 mg **

The amount of natural antioxydants is quite big 300mg, compare to the amount of UMP 50mg.

Also but maybe it's not related with the combo I've got some migraine with aura. I know my brain is special but my last migraine was 3 years ago, with particular conditions. I had it only few time before. Antioxidants seems to prevent from brain's inflammation and other things, what I have sometimes...

So my point is antioxydants (like grape seed) are maybe the missing piece of the big puzzle ;-).

Cheers

P.S: I'm a noob so sorry if I make it so "simple".

#1131 yoann_co

• 11 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

Well I've read all the 3 pages on http://www.lef.org/m...cognitex_01.htm.
I know maybe it's not fully trustworthy, but
- Phosphatidylserine : enhances the availability of acetylcholine, lowers levels of the stress hormone cortisol, and promotes the release of dopamine, an important neurotransmitter known to improve mood and movement control.
- Vinpocetine : By improving sluggish cerebral blood flow, vinpocetine enhances the brain’s use of oxygen and glucose.
- Ashwagandha : boost energy and blood supply, reduce inflammation, and increase longevity
- Blueberries : Neuroscientists are continually searching for natural agents that can protect brain cells from the devastating effects of oxidative stress and inflammation.
- Grape Seed Extract : The brain’s extraordinarily complex circuitry generates massive amounts of oxygen free radicals that may play an important role in the impairment of healthy brain activity that commonly accompanies aging.

All these components looks promising, I might try few of them^^

Cheers

Edited by yoann_co, 04 June 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#1132 Heraclitean

• 134 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:21 AM

Well I've read all the 3 pages on http://www.lef.org/m...cognitex_01.htm.
I know maybe it's not fully trustworthy, but
- Phosphatidylserine : enhances the availability of acetylcholine, lowers levels of the stress hormone cortisol, and promotes the release of dopamine, an important neurotransmitter known to improve mood and movement control.
- Vinpocetine : By improving sluggish cerebral blood flow, vinpocetine enhances the brain’s use of oxygen and glucose.
- Ashwagandha : boost energy and blood supply, reduce inflammation, and increase longevity
- Blueberries : Neuroscientists are continually searching for natural agents that can protect brain cells from the devastating effects of oxidative stress and inflammation.
- Grape Seed Extract : The brain’s extraordinarily complex circuitry generates massive amounts of oxygen free radicals that may play an important role in the impairment of healthy brain activity that commonly accompanies aging.

All these components looks promising, I might try few of them^^

Cheers

This is just my experience, but Blueberries and GSE should suffice (out of that list). Phosphatidylserine is made by your own body, in the necessary quantities (Assuming good diet and general lifestyle, and no genetic abnormalities), and it is an expensive supplement which I don't believe is worth the money. I've tried it, gotten an effect but it actually didn't feel great, it felt like an expensive overload of my body.
Vinpocetine CAN clear "brain fog", and might be OK for occasional use if you need to be sharp and have woken up on the "wrong side of the bed". I wouldn't use it constantly though, and to be honest I think even what I have said so far is too generous.
Ashwagandha is a very interesting herb, and I give it a thumbs up only if you can get it from a good source, which is far from guaranteed if you buy it without caution. Stick to the more expensive but trustworthy brands, and avoid cheap bulk powders on this one. You might want to try it out on a day off from work too, as it is known for causing sedation (of a not unpleasant type, IMO), and you wouldn't want to risk excessive sedation when you should be pumping adrenaline. That being said, trying all new "noops" should be done on days off, except the gentle ones which are like foodstuff (e.g. Blueberries and GSE).

Sorry to hijack thread, just wanted to give Yoann a heads up.

GSE and blueberries should synergize well with the Uridine (all antioxidants do in my experience, as you know, particularly plant-based ones).
  • like x 1

#1133 Raza

• 454 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

From this thread:

Posted Image

Here is an interesting drug: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Allopurinol . Works the same way as pycnogenol (pine bark extract, high PCO %) on gout: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11087530 . Grape sead extract produces a similar effect: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17295515 . The aforementioned drug and proanthocyanids (from grape sead or pine bark) both inhibit xanthine oxidase, preventing uric acid excretion. This alone might raise uridine levels.

Since I'll be taking regular pinebark extract, I could be in the clear for gout and kidney stones.

Could inhibiting xanthine oxidase be a mechanism of action for GSE/urudine synergy?
  • like x 1

#1134 major

• 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:42 AM

I've been using sublingual uridine for about 7 months now and have reported in the past what a profound effect it has had in lifting my "brain fog" and improving concentration and mental clarity. I also have supplemented grape seed and cocoa for a very long time (years)...so there could very well be some synergy (that obviously didn't occur until the addition of sublingual uridine). I am currently using 50mg grape seed twice daily but was using 100mg x2 and use a heaping tablespoon of cocoa twice daily mixed in yogurt. I also use a gram of resveratrol in the mornings with the uridine and first dose of grape seed. I am also supplementing a number of other extracts....so it could very well be the synergy of the cocktail....but uridine was the only thing I added when the profound effects occurred. Interesting discovery!!!

Edit: I wanted to emphasize that I had been taking all the other extracts and supplements prior to adding in the sublingual uridine...so any synergy (at least in regards to the profound mental effects) didn't occur until adding uridine...uridine was the only change I made. Everything else in the stack was existing components of my regimen.

One poster mentioned the product cacao in relation to flavonoids (Heraclitean). Another is using the word cocoa (above). Both are legitimate foods. So which one are we referring to? Does it matter, or is there some confusion going on here?

#1135 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:50 AM

One poster mentioned the product cacao in relation to flavonoids (Heraclitean). Another is using the word cocoa (above). Both are legitimate foods. So which one are we referring to? Does it matter, or is there some confusion going on here?

They are basically the same thing. Cocoa (and chocolate) is refined from cocao beans. I used to eat the raw unprocessed cocao nibs (little chunks of the bean)...they are higher in flavonoids but also higher in iron and fat...something I don't need. Now I eat several tablespoons of cocoa powder per day....the unsweetened stuff used for baking. It is low carb, low fat, and low calorie but still high in flavonoids but lower in iron due to processing. Many health benefits...all the benefits of dark chocolate without the extra fat and calories....but cocoa and cocao are one and the same...cocao raw...cocoa processed. I also frequently will suck on a square of 90% unsweetened dark chocolate in the evening for a treat as I really enjoy chocolate...especially dark.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Cocoa_solids

http://www.chocolate...Transformed.htm
  • Off-Topic x 1

#1136 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

Hebbeh, how do you eat your cocoa powder? Drink it mixed with water? Just spoon it in your mouth? With milk and an artificial sweetener?

#1137 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hebbeh, how do you eat your cocoa powder? Drink it mixed with water? Just spoon it in your mouth? With milk and an artificial sweetener?

Mixed in yogurt with a little splenda (think double chocolate fudge pudding) and sometimes mixed in coffee with a little splenda...mocha...and sometimes after workouts,...I will throw a spoon of cocoa in my whey shake.... :-)
  • Ill informed x 1

#1138 yoann_co

• 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

Well thank you very much Heraclitean!! I will try that.

Just for info :

This new multi from LEF sounds exceptional for the quality/price ratio.
http://www.iherb.com...ggie-Tabs/41803
This is my answer to Berocca, and to Ortho Core by Aor ($54.00 ouch).
I think with this there is no more other B vitamins supplement needed.

For those who wants quality fish oils brands : http://www.ifosprogr...er-reports.aspx
LEF is also on the ifosprogram, and on Consumer Lab's "Where to buy?" page here : http://www.consumerl...om/products.asp
I begin to be a fan of LEF products^^

Cheers

#1139 telight

• 173 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

Why are Folic Acid and Vitamin E considered a cofactor?xt

I believe Vitamin E is taken to increase the bioavailability of DHA by decreasing its oxidation.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1140 GuyK

• 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but have been lurking a while. I started on uridine two weeks ago (was already taking choline most days and a fair amount of fish oil) and I really like the effect, both on mood and thought clarity. This is definitely a winner--so thanks, everyone.

However ... starting with the very first day on uridine (75mg TAU at first, now 300mg UMP), and several of the days since then, I have experienced major excess stomach acid and reflux. GERD was somewhat of a problem for me years ago when I tended to drink too much alcohol and coffee and had a lot of stress, but the drinking, caffeine, and stress are much less these days, so the sudden resurgence of major acid reflux and heartburn were strange. Adding uridine to my stack was the only recent change to my regimen or diet. Can anyone think of any reason uridine could cause this, or are they likely to be unrelated/coincidental?

Apologies if I've missed part of the discussion that may have pertained to this--I've read most of the thread but not everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: choline, uridine, dha, omega-3, epa, ump, tau, b vitamins

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)

Topic Led By