GPC (choline), Uridine, DHA

choline uridine dha omega-3 epa ump tau b vitamins

• Please log in to reply
2844 replies to this topic

#1141 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:06 AM

What are surces of uridine?
I read cdp choline increases uridine and that brewers yeast contains it. Are these useful and will they increase serotonine as mentioned for uridine alone?

#1142 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:34 AM

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but have been lurking a while. I started on uridine two weeks ago (was already taking choline most days and a fair amount of fish oil) and I really like the effect, both on mood and thought clarity. This is definitely a winner--so thanks, everyone.

However ... starting with the very first day on uridine (75mg TAU at first, now 300mg UMP), and several of the days since then, I have experienced major excess stomach acid and reflux. GERD was somewhat of a problem for me years ago when I tended to drink too much alcohol and coffee and had a lot of stress, but the drinking, caffeine, and stress are much less these days, so the sudden resurgence of major acid reflux and heartburn were strange. Adding uridine to my stack was the only recent change to my regimen or diet. Can anyone think of any reason uridine could cause this, or are they likely to be unrelated/coincidental?

Apologies if I've missed part of the discussion that may have pertained to this--I've read most of the thread but not everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've been using 300mg UMP sublingual plus 75 mg TAU on empty stomach with lecithin and fish oil first thing in the morning the past 8 months with no problems. Are you doing the UMP sublingual? When are you taking the UMP/TAU in relation to food? I eat some fruit for breakfast about an hour after taking. Haven't tried taking it with food or eating within an hour after. I've got a strong stomach though.
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1143 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:40 AM

I read cdp choline increases uridine and that brewers yeast contains it. Are these useful and will they increase serotonine as mentioned for uridine alone?

Brewers yeast has been discussed a number of times in the thread as not having the same subjective effect as UMP ot TAU which is what I've also found....the uridine in brewers yeast isn't utilized in the body the same way as UMP from my experience...just use UMP sublingually (my preferred source) or TAU if you want to give it a try. I also used cdp in the past and had positive effects...but nothing like pure UMP, especially sublingual.
  • Needs references x 1

#1144 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:35 AM

Brewers yeast has been discussed a number of times in the thread as not having the same subjective effect as UMP ot TAU which is what I've also found....the uridine in brewers yeast isn't utilized in the body the same way as UMP from my experience...just use UMP sublingually (my preferred source) or TAU if you want to give it a try. I also used cdp in the past and had positive effects...but nothing like pure UMP, especially sublingual.

Thanks Hebbeh. Strange because according to Wurtman cdp choline metabolizes into choline and uridine
http://web.mit.edu/d...www/pdf/972.pdf

#1145 Raza

• 454 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

Try taking CDP sublingually, in amounts that add up to the urudine content you're going for? I don't think that's been ruled out yet as having the right effect.

#1146 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

I've been hitting the journals again..
Uridine function in the central nervous system. Authors: Dobolyi A; Juhasz G; Kovacs Z; Kardos J Author Address: Neuromorphological and Neuroendocrine Research Laboratory, Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology,Semmelweis University and the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, H-1094 Budapest, Hungary. dobolyi@ana.sote.hu Source: Current Topics In Medicinal Chemistry [Curr Top Med Chem] 2011; Vol. 11 (8), pp. 1058-67. Publication Type: Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't; Review Language: English Journal Information: Publisher: Bentham Science Publishers : Hilversum, The Netherlands Country of Publication: Netherlands NLM ID: 101119673 Publication Model: Print Cited Medium: Internet ISSN: 1873-4294 (Electronic) Linking ISSN: 15680266 NLM ISO Abbreviation: Curr Top Med Chem Subsets: MEDLINE MeSH Terms: Neuroglia/*metabolism
Neurons/*metabolism
Receptors, Purinergic P2Y/*metabolism
Uracil Nucleotides/*metabolism
Uridine/*metabolism
Uridine/*pharmacology
Adult ; Animals ; Central Nervous System/physiology ; Epilepsy/drug therapy ; Epilepsy/physiopathology ; Humans ; Memory/drug effects ; Mice ; Neurodegenerative Diseases/drug therapy ; Neurodegenerative Diseases/physiopathology ; Neuronal Plasticity ; Neurons/cytology ; Neuroprotective Agents/metabolism ; Neuroprotective Agents/pharmacology ; Purinergic P2 Receptor Agonists/pharmacology ; Purinergic P2 Receptor Antagonists/pharmacology ; Rats ; Sleep/drug effects ; Uridine/analogs & derivatives

Abstract: In the adult nervous system, the major source of nucleotide synthesis is the salvage pathway. Uridine is the major form of pyrimidine nucleosides taken up by the brain. Uridine is phosphorylated to nucleotides, which are used for DNA and RNA synthesis as well as for the synthesis of membrane constituents and glycosylation. Uridine nucleotides and UDP-sugars may be released from neuronal and glial cells. Plasmamembrane receptors of 7 transmembrane domains have been identified that recognize UTP, UDP, and UDP-sugar conjugates. These receptors are called P2Y2 and P2Y4, P2Y6, and P2Y14 receptors, respectively. In addition, binding sites for uridine itself have also been suggested. Furthermore, uridine administration had sleep-promoting and anti-epileptic actions, improved memory function and affected neuronal plasticity. Information only starts to be accumulating on potential mechanisms of these uridine actions. Some data are available on the topographical distribution of pyrimidine receptors and binding sites in the brain, however, their exact role in neuronal functions is not established yet. There is also a scarcity of data regarding the brain distribution of other components of the pyrimidine metabolism although site specific functions exerted by their receptors might require different metabolic support. Despite the gaps in our knowledge on the neuronal functions of pyrimidine nucleosides, their therapeutic utilization is appealing. They have been suggested for the treatment of epileptic and neurodegenerative diseases as neuroprotective agents. In addition, the development of traditional drugs acting specifically on pyrimidine receptor subtypes is also promising as a new direction to treat neurological disorders.

Substance Nomenclature:
0 (Neuroprotective Agents)
0 (Purinergic P2 Receptor Agonists)
0 (Purinergic P2 Receptor Antagonists)
0 (Receptors, Purinergic P2Y)
0 (Uracil Nucleotides)
58-96-8 (Uridine) Entry Dates: Date Created: 20110421 Date Completed: 20110805 Update Code: 20111122 PMID: 21401495

.. the full paper goes into a lot more detail about many aspects, including genetic subtypes, additional receptors + much more and is a very informative read.

Edited by MrHappy, 20 June 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#1147 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

Try taking CDP sublingually, in amounts that add up to the urudine content you're going for? I don't think that's been ruled out yet as having the right effect.

That would require a lot of cdp to get the equivelant of 300mg of uridine. cdp is expensive. UMP is cheap. Why would you not just use UMP?
  • Needs references x 1

#1148 Raza

• 454 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

Looking at ebay, where I got both of those, UMP goes for more per gram than CDP.

But I've no particular preference for not taking UMP. Just saying that if you wanted to use CDP as your uridine source, that's what I would try.

Considering where you want your CDP to end up in your body, how pricy it is per weight unit and how mild it's taste is, taking it sublingually is probably a pretty good idea regardless.

Edited by Raza, 20 June 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#1149 GuyK

• 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but have been lurking a while. I started on uridine two weeks ago (was already taking choline most days and a fair amount of fish oil) and I really like the effect, both on mood and thought clarity. This is definitely a winner--so thanks, everyone.

However ... starting with the very first day on uridine (75mg TAU at first, now 300mg UMP), and several of the days since then, I have experienced major excess stomach acid and reflux. GERD was somewhat of a problem for me years ago when I tended to drink too much alcohol and coffee and had a lot of stress, but the drinking, caffeine, and stress are much less these days, so the sudden resurgence of major acid reflux and heartburn were strange. Adding uridine to my stack was the only recent change to my regimen or diet. Can anyone think of any reason uridine could cause this, or are they likely to be unrelated/coincidental?

Apologies if I've missed part of the discussion that may have pertained to this--I've read most of the thread but not everything.

I've been using 300mg UMP sublingual plus 75 mg TAU on empty stomach with lecithin and fish oil first thing in the morning the past 8 months with no problems. Are you doing the UMP sublingual? When are you taking the UMP/TAU in relation to food? I eat some fruit for breakfast about an hour after taking. Haven't tried taking it with food or eating within an hour after. I've got a strong stomach though.

I take uridine in the morning with breakfast. The acid starts a couple hours later, and doesn't matter what form of uridine I took or whether I took it sublingually (which lately I've been doing--300 mg of UMP). I'm taking a break from uridine today and tomorrow to see if that is indeed the problem, so we'll see.

#1150 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:00 AM

In this study, its actually suggested that uridine treatment could potentiate the effects of a dopamine antagonist such as haloperidol. I see this in a negative light as I fear that uridine may provide similar effects alone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20504471

Edited by sparkk51, 28 June 2012 - 06:00 AM.

#1151 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

In this study, its actually suggested that uridine treatment could potentiate the effects of a dopamine antagonist such as haloperidol. I see this in a negative light as I fear that uridine may provide similar effects alone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20504471

I haven't read the full paper to examine the methodology, but there are so many papers in this thread that contradict that paper, including another one also testing haloperidol. First-hand user experiences also conflict with it.

#1152 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

Which is the best way to get Choline? is the CDP choline the way to go? too much data since this thread is so huge. hopefully someone can point to me a good product to buy cdp choline. I decided to try UMP sublingual since that is a good price for 25 grams.

#1153 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

Which is the best way to get Choline? is the CDP choline the way to go? too much data since this thread is so huge. hopefully someone can point to me a good product to buy cdp choline. I decided to try UMP sublingual since that is a good price for 25 grams.

Take your pick, really. I use a-gpc, to get the HGh promoting effect. The same supplier - superiornutraceuticals.com has most types.

#1154 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

Take your pick, really. I use a-gpc, to get the HGh promoting effect. The same supplier - superiornutraceuticals.com has most types.

Oh, so taking Uridine and Alpha-GPC helps release Human Growth hormones? This would be beneficial to take then with Melatonin since Melotonin does the same thing.

#1155 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

Alpha-GPC raises HGh in response to exercise.

#1156 Chadwick

• 73 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

I've been lurking here for a while, and was inspired by this thread to register to be able to post. It certainly seems that uridine has helped many people, and that it's something we will hear a lot more about in the future.

I'vus even using 25 mg TAU and 600 mg DHA + 1000 mg EPA for 12 days and the results have been nothing but amazing for my mood. The effects could be felt about an hour after I took the pills on the third day, and would last for another 10 or 11 hours after that. My mood was lifted noticeably without giving me a stimulant feeling, my anxiety wore off completely and I gained confidence. I did not feel 'high' in any way - I just became the best possible version of myself, if that makes sense. This is what I've been looking for for a long time!

The problem is that for me, the effect from the TAU + DHA only worked for 7 days. Any dose I've taken after that has been without effect at all. I haven't done any dietary or lifestyle changes, so I believe that can be ruled out. I've taken 6.5 g of B5 per day for acne alongside this.

Any thoughts about what might have caused the diminished effects?

#1157 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

I've been lurking here for a while, and was inspired by this thread to register to be able to post. It certainly seems that uridine has helped many people, and that it's something we will hear a lot more about in the future.

I'vus even using 25 mg TAU and 600 mg DHA + 1000 mg EPA for 12 days and the results have been nothing but amazing for my mood. The effects could be felt about an hour after I took the pills on the third day, and would last for another 10 or 11 hours after that. My mood was lifted noticeably without giving me a stimulant feeling, my anxiety wore off completely and I gained confidence. I did not feel 'high' in any way - I just became the best possible version of myself, if that makes sense. This is what I've been looking for for a long time!

The problem is that for me, the effect from the TAU + DHA only worked for 7 days. Any dose I've taken after that has been without effect at all. I haven't done any dietary or lifestyle changes, so I believe that can be ruled out. I've taken 6.5 g of B5 per day for acne alongside this.

Any thoughts about what might have caused the diminished effects?

I'd try more TAU - you may see a better result at 50 or 75mg. Importantly, what's your diet and sleep like?

#1158 Chadwick

• 73 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

I forgot to mention this, and couldn't edit on my phone: The last three days I've increased the dose to 100 mg. Yet, no change! It feels somewhat stupid to know I am a responder to uridine (as I did respond incredibly well for a week or so) but not be able to reap the benefits. :happy:

I get about 6 to 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep per night - about as much as I need. I get exercise through running 20 miles or so per week. My diet is mainly vegetarian with occasional fish (including the DHA/EPA supplement), with lots of vegetables (home grown!), lots of legumes, some organic eggs and diary, and very little fruit and processed foods. I drink three or so cups of coffee a day.

You who have tried both - how does sublingual UMP compare to TAU? (I get the impression that UMP has worked better for some people, so that might be worth trying.) Apart from that, has tyrosine supplementation helped anyone who was originally a non-responder to uridine? :)

High caffeine intake was mentioned earlier as a problem, but if I understood it right it won't remove uridines effects but rather the effects of caffeine will be potentiated. (Right?)

Edit: Typo

Edited by Chadwick, 03 July 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#1159 FrankMH

• 42 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

I started getting nose bleeds, so I have stopped for the time being until I see the doctor.

#1160 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

I've taken 6.5 g of B5 per day for acne alongside this.

Even tough B5 is water-soluble it may not be side-effect free. You may be depleting yourself from other B-vitamins and perhaps causing other digestion issues or damage to gut flora. This can definitely affect your very production of neurotransmitters etc. and then secondary the ability to get sustained effects from supplements like uridine. This person had some really nasty side effects from B5 megadoses over time: http://www.cyclingfo...nt-side-effects
I would consider cutting it down to 500mg or something and perhaps add Zinc which is a common anti-acne mineral. Your diet seems really good so you don't want massive amount of B5 messing it's benefits.
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#1161 Chadwick

• 73 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Even tough B5 is water-soluble it may not be side-effect free. You may be depleting yourself from other B-vitamins and perhaps causing other digestion issues or damage to gut flora. This can definitely affect your very production of neurotransmitters etc. and then secondary the ability to get sustained effects from supplements like uridine. This person had some really nasty side effects from B5 megadoses over time: http://www.cyclingfo...nt-side-effects
I would consider cutting it down to 500mg or something and perhaps add Zinc which is a common anti-acne mineral. Your diet seems really good so you don't want massive amount of B5 messing it's benefits.

Thanks - I had no idea! I used lower doses of B5 (1.5 g per day) a few years ago with great success, but this time the B5 has little or no effect on my acne so far (it's been three weeks). I'll make sure to look into zinc. :)

#1162 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

Good advice. Also, yes the caffeine does affect the effectiveness of uridine, as some of the receptors are common.

#1163 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:18 AM

Oh, so it is best to avoid caffeine. Damn that is going to hurt me since I like to drink coffee. I have no problems giving up soda since I barely drink it.

#1164 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

OK! I’ve read up to 570s with Mr Happy and Nito

This sounds like the shit to me! :)

I smoke.
Let me rephrase that: Steam Trains smoked less than I do! :)
And I drink a lot of coffee (milk no sugar)
Also green tea and Rooibos

I'm from South Africa which kinda limits my options as far as supps go.

Currently I take this: (Relevant)

http://www.solaltech...d&productId=133
2 to 3 per day depending on what I eat. This should cover the B's and E, although I'd be happier with all the Tocopherols in it.
http://www.solaltech...d&productId=121

???

I respond/like better to this (Krill) than the fish oil:
http://www.solaltech...&productId=5312

2 per day

I also take resverat
rol – Pterostilbene – GSE combo , Magnesium Glysinate , Lithium Orotate (1mg) and these (4 to 6)
http://www.solaltech...&productId=5158

from the same company.

I have 2 Astragalus Root Extract pills left from Solgar. (Jim Green)
I combined em with 1 Resv in the morning but not before gym (just restarted and stiff) or bed. 6 to 9 per day.
Oh and some Ginkgo Biloba I found in the cupboard.

(Possibly relevant?)

I suffer from depression and have just recently gone/going through a tragic loss. Hence the Lithium and also frequently a 5-HTP and St Johns Wort combo also from Solal, but I don’t want to get hooked!

My memory is bad too. From Smoking no doubt.

For Citi Choline:
http://www.swansonvi...chk=1&Itemid=44
or... That's it!
There also 23mg of Choline Bitartrate in the Multi??

Uridine is the problem.
There's this
http://www.vrp.co.za...h Factors).aspx

(Too Expensive)
Spirulina, Brewer's Yeast and baby milk formula.
Perhaps I should look into extracting the damn stuff myself?

There was a book recommended somewhere here about quitting smoking that I must find again and read. Anyone read it?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated. (if you’re still reading all this! :) )

Edited by Logic, 06 July 2012 - 12:23 AM.

#1165 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

Uridine is the problem.
There's this
http://www.vrp.co.za...h Factors).aspx
(Too Expensive)
Spirulina, Brewer's Yeast and baby milk formula.
Perhaps I should look into extracting the damn stuff myself?

This: http://www.superiorn...tegory_Code=COG

250mg sublingual first thing in the morning does it for me. Redose in late afternoon if needed...but usually unnecessary.

Brewers yeast doesn't work the same...trust me.
  • Needs references x 1

#1166 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

Im from South Africa Hebbeh.
Apparently customs here doesnt like pils and powders.
Perhaps I should try tho.

Any other advice?
like too much after all the Astragalus?

Edited by Logic, 06 July 2012 - 12:35 AM.

#1167 Chadwick

• 73 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

250mg sublingual first thing in the morning does it for me. Redose in late afternoon if needed...but usually unnecessary.

Is Ecological Formula's UMP absorbed equally good sublingually?

#1168 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

Im from South Africa Hebbeh.
Apparently customs here doesnt like pils and powders.
Perhaps I should try tho.

Any other advice?
like too much after all the Astragalus?

Maybe ask a friendly doctor for a prescription and then order it?

#1169 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:46 AM

Thats an idea!

Any other advice on my DHA B E?
After Astragalus?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1170 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:54 AM

Is Ecological Formula's UMP absorbed equally good sublingually?

I've used Ecological Formula and it works...in fact still have a bottle or 2 lying around (I still use it when traveling for the convenience) but I prefer the bulk powder from Superior. I think the capsules must have filler in them and they don't seem to dissolve under the tongue as nicely as the bulk powder from Superior...and it could be imagination but the bulk powder seems to have a little stronger effect....or it could be I'm getting a bigger dose by heaping the little measuring spoon... :) ...but yes, you can pop the caps open and dump under the tongue too.

Edited by Hebbeh, 06 July 2012 - 12:56 AM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: choline, uridine, dha, omega-3, epa, ump, tau, b vitamins

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By