* * * * * 41 votes

GPC (choline), Uridine, DHA

choline uridine dha omega-3 epa ump tau b vitamins

• Please log in to reply
2844 replies to this topic

#1081 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

What does borderline serotonin syndrome feel like? I've taken Pristiq with 1000 mg Uridine, plus 3 mg methylene blue, and didn't have any problems. The only thing I noticed is taking a dose of Uridine in the morning seems to flatten my mood and make me want less coffee. Taken at night, I tend to wake up in a good mood.

Which makes me suspect there's something else going on here. Along the lines of low dose naltrexone?

Serotonin syndrome begins when euphoria cuts over abruptly to severe anxiety... I don't think Uridine is strong enough to do that but I'm just saying I wouldn't mix it with other serotonin increasing substances.

#1082 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Thanks Abe. Never experienced that, thank goodness.

BTW I just started taking a low dose of a dopamine agonist (ropinirole) and noticed one of the potential side effects was "euphoria." Wouldn't mind a little of that as long as it didn't lead to a manic episode.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1083 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:59 AM

not that raypeat bullshit again

Oh, I'm sorry, I seem to have posted a link to some pseudoscience from a PhD that this forum has previously and convincingly discredited.

Of course, I missed where that occurred. Please link me to the cogent refutation, of his synthesis of the research, that I have missed. Perhaps you have written such a clear and factual counterpoint? Of course, your response will be better supported, and include a working model of physiology and disease that is more comprehensive and complete.

I'm not attached to Ray Peat, but, respectfully, it's a little rude to whine about my link being "BS" without coming through with superior information that debunks his synthesis and supports your oh-so-weary insult of my effort to spread some information that might help someone. Even a link would suffice.

Edited by golgi1, 16 May 2012 - 03:40 AM.

#1084 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:30 AM

Some questions about uridine supplementation:

1. Can someone direct me to the relevant research or article(s) that addresses the importance of vitamin E supplementation with uridine? I'd like to read it.

2. Might astaxanthin be a serviceable (or perhaps superior?) substitute for vitamin E? It does recycle vitamin E, and has a supposedly superior ability to cross the BBB (true in my experience). Also, it's overall ability to counter radicals (especially singlet oxygen) is significantly higher than E, according to the research.

I ask because I had a significant amount of astaxanthin in my blood, built up from 1.5 weeks of 6mg+ of astaxanthin per day supplementation, when I started to take uridine yesterday. Keeping consistent with my principle of not mixing nootropics/supplements when starting something new (to more accurately assess the effects) I didn't take the astaxanthin, but it's effects were still quite noticeable. Additionally, I had a very good response from the uridine. Today, i took the uridine again, and the effects seem to be a bit weaker (although very noticeable), but I am now two days since my last astaxanthin dose. Tomorrow, I will start with the astaxanthin again to assess how it interacts with the uridine. If everything goes well, I will keep on with that combination. I'll report back, but I am curious as to the opinion of forum members as to whether or not vitamin E, specifically, is needed to fill that role or if my current strategy is a viable substitute.

3. I am currently taking the RDA of folic acid every time I take the uridine. Is this necessary, is it desirable but not necessary, or is it better to space out folic acid supplementation? I plan on switching to calcium folinate when it arrives, unless anyone can argue a compelling reason to not use that form.

4. I'm taking a "00" gelatin capsule filled 1/3-1/2 with choline bitartrate with my uridine every morning. Is everyone supplementing every day with choline, or has anyone realized a different/better/increased/worse effect when they skip days or cut it out altogether? I'm familiar with the article that was posted to kick off this thread, but I always find value in testing. Has anyone done anything different but to take choline every day?

As an aside and a follow-up to my previous post about astaxanthin and an improved sexual response: that effect seems to have tapered off after 1.5 weeks. Astaxanthin does interact with CYP450, and so perhaps that was a short lived response to this interaction. Also, I had attributed the effect to astaxanthin when I had overlooked that I had been taking benfotiamine as well when I started astaxanthin, and was focused solely on every new effect being from astaxanthin because it was having noticeable effects where I needed them to occur (my eyes). This is an unfortunate example of what occurs when I violate my principle of not taking too much at once. The sexual effect could have been from the interaction between benfo and astaxanthin, or from one or the other. Therefore, in retrospect, I can't attest to astaxanthin alone providing that effect.

Edited by golgi1, 16 May 2012 - 03:38 AM.

#1085 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

10mg Astaxanthin sounds like worth giving a shot (I was dabbling with 3 to 6mg so far with no obvious effect)

I started with 6mg, within Life Extension's Super Zeaxanthin formula, which contains a variety of other carotenoids, and so I can't comment on less than that amount. However, when I started to bump it up, while a stronger effect, it seemed to not increase the effect proportionate to the increased amount (which correlates to studies that the anti-oxidant effect only increases 25% with the 66% increase from 6mg to 10mg), and it seemed to give me a little brain-fog (but in a way unique to this supplement). I find 6mg more than adequate for the effect that I'm after (neuro/ocular protection), and so I will stick to that dose in the future. I can recommend LE's Super Zeaxanthin formula if anyone has ocular inflammation issues. My issues are quite significant, and this does the job. Getting back on subject, UMP's noticed effect seems to be quite significant in this regard as well, no doubt at least in part from it's ability to regulate calcium channels.

Edited by golgi1, 16 May 2012 - 03:53 AM.

#1086 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:04 AM

BTW I just started taking a low dose of a dopamine agonist (ropinirole) and noticed one of the potential side effects was "euphoria." Wouldn't mind a little of that as long as it didn't lead to a manic episode.

Ropinrole! That's some weird stuff. It acts as an agonist of the D3 receptor which is one of those receptors that can cause all sorts of mischief.
http://en.wikipedia....le#Side_effects

Ropinirole can cause nausea, dizziness, hallucinations, orthostatic hypotension, and sudden sleep attacks during the daytime. Common and more unusual side effects specific to D3-preferring agonists such as ropinirole and pramipexole can include hypersexuality and compulsive gambling, even in patients without a prior history of these behaviours.[7]

Edited by abelard lindsay, 16 May 2012 - 05:13 AM.

#1087 owtsgmi

• 162 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

What does borderline serotonin syndrome feel like? I've taken Pristiq with 1000 mg Uridine, plus 3 mg methylene blue, and didn't have any problems. The only thing I noticed is taking a dose of Uridine in the morning seems to flatten my mood and make me want less coffee. Taken at night, I tend to wake up in a good mood.

Which makes me suspect there's something else going on here. Along the lines of low dose naltrexone?

Serotonin syndrome begins when euphoria cuts over abruptly to severe anxiety... I don't think Uridine is strong enough to do that but I'm just saying I wouldn't mix it with other serotonin increasing substances.

There is something going on between the 5-htp and uridine. I stopped a 10-year 600mg/day regimen of 5-htp within a couple of weeks after starting uridine. I was overstimulated, which looking back was probably some mild serotonin syndrome. I am happy to be off of the 5-htp since some think it is bad for you. Got a big box of the stuff rotting in my closet...

#1088 Godot

• 198 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

I started on 300mg UMP orally 2 days ago. I didn't notice any effects after 2 doses, so last night before bed I emptied the contents of a second capsule under my tongue for a SL dose.

Zoiks! This stuff knocked me out! My whole body felt heavy like I just had to get to bed. But when I got there, I found that I was not falling asleep as readily as I had expected. I almost felt asleep; like I was in the right brainwave state for sleep but still conscious. I did eventually fall asleep, and woke up feeling very refreshed!

I took another 300mg orally this morning and am feeling rather cheerful. This seems promising!

#1089 tomakin

• 23 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:23 AM

Ugh, this topic is HUGE! Stuck at page 18, still can't find answers...

ok, a few questions then :)

1. Anyone tried spirulina / yeasts with good result?

http://www.longecity...a/page__st__510

this guy tried brewers yeasts, huge amounts of them without results. But as far as I know, brewers yeasts sold as supplements are uridine-free, it's removed during process for "health reasons", so no wonder he feel nothing. Maybe baker's yeasts are the answer? I've started them few days ago, together with spirulina.

2. anyone noticed any improvements besides mental health? Skin condition, nails (things like nail ridges, lunula size), hair, athletic performance, improved circulation, sensitivity to seasonal allergy, energy level (like, no more cold feet)? I've saw some studies mentioning it at mitochondrial enchancer, as such it should enchance performance. As a runner I'm really interessed in any legal way of improving my times :) Yeasts and spirulina have both great impact on skin condition - they improve elasticity, increase moisture rate and so on. I wonder if uridine is at least partially responsible for this effect ?

#1090 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

TAU Uridine is marketed for cardiovascular health. I run 40-60 miles a week and think I've seen some benefit, but much less than say, Resveratrol.

I'm very interested in the aerobic benefits of periodic C60 Fullerene/Olive Oil. Some very exciting anecdotal reports.

#1091 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hey JM. I'm trying resveratrol for running too. From these forums, I understand that people need 3 months of resveratrol before seeing benefits. I've tried other things too, most recently citrulline malate, without noticing much after an acute dose. I'm also running over 40 miles/month.

I've tried uridine sublingually, but all it seems to do is make me just a little sleepy.

#1092 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

I've moved my Uridine to evenings. You might want to try a couple weeks of Methylene Blue at 1-3 mg per day. I noticed an energy boost similar to CoQ10, though I did think it made me gain weight. Next up for me is PQQ. Anything that optimizes mitochondrial biogenesis is helpful while building base.

Thanks for the report on citruilline malate. You saved me some money. I've been interested in that combined with Arginine after reading some comments by former Balco head (and Tower of Power basist; can never resist adding that) Victor Conte.

#1093 Heraclitean

• 134 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:04 AM

Hello everyone, this is my first post, although I am a longtime "lurker". I haven't posted anything until now because, to be honest, most of the interesting problems and queries which appear in the threads on this board are addressed so competently that I felt like I had little of value to add.

However, I would like to point out that I believe I am on to something interesting with regards to the DHA, Uridine, Choline combo (AKA "Gerbil diet"). I took this stack for about 2 weeks, one month ago, and noticed some benefit, but not to the level which some here seemed to be describing, or indeed, that the studies seemed to imply. About a week and a half ago, I restarted the combo, deciding to stick to it because I reasoned that it was probably doing me good despite the lack of overt effects. The first few days, everything was as it had been during my first go at this stack: slightly increased energy, slightly increased concentration facility, slightly increased <insert parameter which the Gerbil Diet is supposed to help with>.

About 4 days ago, I decided after many hours of research to start supplementing my diet with Flavonoids, and began drinking a concoction of raw Cacao powder and Grape Seed Extract. I began to notice, that same day, that every time I took the Gerbil Combo (which is twice per day, morning and evening), the effects seemed very powerful, to the point where I was noticing it very strongly: a pronounced sens of well-being (not "euphoric", more "adiaphoretic" [gotta love those Greek words]), mental clarity, social "reasoning" (i.e. understanding and acting upon social cues with greater ease, speed and accuracy), and greater impulse control. In other words, it had a very strong normalizing effect, where "normal" became a high level equilibrium which was more difficult to disturb, comparatively, than my previous "baseline" state.

I was convinced that the Flavonoids had something to do with it, since the change occurred simultaneously, and there were no other noticeable modifications to my daily life which could account for such a dramatic and sudden jump in the quality of the effects of the Gerbil Combo. Today, I stumbled across the following study:

Dietary flavonoids increase plasma very long-chain (n-3) fatty acids in rats.

Toufektsian MC, Salen P, Laporte F, Tonelli C, de Lorgeril M.

Source

Laboratoire Cœur et Nutrition, TIMC-IMAG CNRS UMR 5525, Faculté de Médecine, Université Joseph Fourier, 38000 Grenoble, France.

Abstract

Flavonoids probably contribute to the health benefits associated with the consumption of fruit and vegetables. However, the mechanisms by which they exert their effects are not fully elucidated. PUFA of the (n-3) series also have health benefits. Epidemiological and clinical studies have suggested that wine flavonoids may interact with the metabolism of (n-3) PUFA and increase their blood and cell levels. The present studies in rats were designed to assess whether flavonoids actually increase plasma levels of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), the main very long-chain (n-3) PUFA. Rats were fed a corn-derived anthocyanin (ACN)-rich (ACN-rich) or ACN-free diet with constant intakes of plant and marine (n-3) PUFA for 8 wk (Expt. 1). Plasma fatty acids were measured by GC. The ACN-rich diet contained ~0.24 ± 0.01 mg of ACN/g pellets. There were no significant differences between groups in the main saturated, monounsaturated, and (n-6) fatty acids. In contrast, plasma EPA and DHA were greater in the ACN-rich diet group than in the ACN-free diet group (P < 0.05). We obtained similar results in 2 subsequent experiments in which rats were administered palm oil (80 μL/d) and consumed the ACN-rich or ACN-free diet (Expt. 2) or were supplemented with fish oil (60 mg/d, providing 35 mg DHA and 12 mg EPA) and consumed the ACN-rich or ACN-free diet (Expt. 3). In both experiments, plasma EPA and DHA were significantly greater in the ACN-rich diet group. These studies demonstrate that the consumption of flavonoids increases plasma very long-chain (n-3) PUFA levels. These data confirm previous clinical and epidemiological studies and provide new insights into the health benefits of flavonoids.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21068183

I then decided to scan this thread to see if the responders to the Gerbil diet had been using some sort of Flavonoid supplementation in their stacks. As soon as I saw that Mr Happy, the original in-house advocate of the Gerbil Combo, included Grape Seed Extract in his stack, I decided to post this here in order to inform people that this may be the missing link for people who have not gotten the excellent results experienced by others. The fact that the Souvenaid formulation includes "antioxidants" as a crucial ingredient, further cemented my opinion that an as yet undiscovered (to my knowledge) link between Flavonoids/antioxidants and the effectiveness of the Gerbil Combo may exist. I am not suggesting that Flavonoids are merely antioxidants, it is a known fact that this is not the case. But perhaps, in their role as antioxidants, they make cells more permeable to the DHA, which is an indispensable component of this stack.

Be of that what may, I have noticed greatly improved effectiveness from the Gerbil combo since the addition of flavonoid supplementation. The above study, and the factors mentioned in the paragraph above, have led me to post this in the hope that others may try it and see if it improves their success with it, as I believe it has done with me.

I am not a doctor, or student of any biological science, so excuse me if my reasoning contains elemental flaws with regards to the functioning of these compounds. However, I can attest that there seems to be a strong correlation (despite n=1, so far), and some ancillary evidence, to support this as a possible route to greatly enhancing the effectiveness of this stack. The fact that flavonoids are pretty much harmless (at worst) make this possibility all the more compelling and worth trying.
  • like x 3
  • Informative x 1

#1094 Synaptik

• 80 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

Hello everyone, this is my first post, although I am a longtime "lurker". I haven't posted anything until now because, to be honest, most of the interesting problems and queries which appear in the threads on this board are addressed so competently that I felt like I had little of value to add.

However, I would like to point out that I believe I am on to something interesting with regards to the DHA, Uridine, Choline combo (AKA "Gerbil diet"). I took this stack for about 2 weeks, one month ago, and noticed some benefit, but not to the level which some here seemed to be describing, or indeed, that the studies seemed to imply. About a week and a half ago, I restarted the combo, deciding to stick to it because I reasoned that it was probably doing me good despite the lack of overt effects. The first few days, everything was as it had been during my first go at this stack: slightly increased energy, slightly increased concentration facility, slightly increased <insert parameter which the Gerbil Diet is supposed to help with>.

About 4 days ago, I decided after many hours of research to start supplementing my diet with Flavonoids, and began drinking a concoction of raw Cacao powder and Grape Seed Extract. I began to notice, that same day, that every time I took the Gerbil Combo (which is twice per day, morning and evening), the effects seemed very powerful, to the point where I was noticing it very strongly: a pronounced sens of well-being (not "euphoric", more "adiaphoretic" [gotta love those Greek words]), mental clarity, social "reasoning" (i.e. understanding and acting upon social cues with greater ease, speed and accuracy), and greater impulse control. In other words, it had a very strong normalizing effect, where "normal" became a high level equilibrium which was more difficult to disturb, comparatively, than my previous "baseline" state.

I was convinced that the Flavonoids had something to do with it, since the change occurred simultaneously, and there were no other noticeable modifications to my daily life which could account for such a dramatic and sudden jump in the quality of the effects of the Gerbil Combo. Today, I stumbled across the following study:

Dietary flavonoids increase plasma very long-chain (n-3) fatty acids in rats.

Toufektsian MC, Salen P, Laporte F, Tonelli C, de Lorgeril M.

Source

Laboratoire Cœur et Nutrition, TIMC-IMAG CNRS UMR 5525, Faculté de Médecine, Université Joseph Fourier, 38000 Grenoble, France.

Abstract

Flavonoids probably contribute to the health benefits associated with the consumption of fruit and vegetables. However, the mechanisms by which they exert their effects are not fully elucidated. PUFA of the (n-3) series also have health benefits. Epidemiological and clinical studies have suggested that wine flavonoids may interact with the metabolism of (n-3) PUFA and increase their blood and cell levels. The present studies in rats were designed to assess whether flavonoids actually increase plasma levels of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), the main very long-chain (n-3) PUFA. Rats were fed a corn-derived anthocyanin (ACN)-rich (ACN-rich) or ACN-free diet with constant intakes of plant and marine (n-3) PUFA for 8 wk (Expt. 1). Plasma fatty acids were measured by GC. The ACN-rich diet contained ~0.24 ± 0.01 mg of ACN/g pellets. There were no significant differences between groups in the main saturated, monounsaturated, and (n-6) fatty acids. In contrast, plasma EPA and DHA were greater in the ACN-rich diet group than in the ACN-free diet group (P < 0.05). We obtained similar results in 2 subsequent experiments in which rats were administered palm oil (80 μL/d) and consumed the ACN-rich or ACN-free diet (Expt. 2) or were supplemented with fish oil (60 mg/d, providing 35 mg DHA and 12 mg EPA) and consumed the ACN-rich or ACN-free diet (Expt. 3). In both experiments, plasma EPA and DHA were significantly greater in the ACN-rich diet group. These studies demonstrate that the consumption of flavonoids increases plasma very long-chain (n-3) PUFA levels. These data confirm previous clinical and epidemiological studies and provide new insights into the health benefits of flavonoids.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21068183

I then decided to scan this thread to see if the responders to the Gerbil diet had been using some sort of Flavonoid supplementation in their stacks. As soon as I saw that Mr Happy, the original in-house advocate of the Gerbil Combo, included Grape Seed Extract in his stack, I decided to post this here in order to inform people that this may be the missing link for people who have not gotten the excellent results experienced by others. The fact that the Souvenaid formulation includes "antioxidants" as a crucial ingredient, further cemented my opinion that an as yet undiscovered (to my knowledge) link between Flavonoids/antioxidants and the effectiveness of the Gerbil Combo may exist. I am not suggesting that Flavonoids are merely antioxidants, it is a known fact that this is not the case. But perhaps, in their role as antioxidants, they make cells more permeable to the DHA, which is an indispensable component of this stack.

Be of that what may, I have noticed greatly improved effectiveness from the Gerbil combo since the addition of flavonoid supplementation. The above study, and the factors mentioned in the paragraph above, have led me to post this in the hope that others may try it and see if it improves their success with it, as I believe it has done with me.

I am not a doctor, or student of any biological science, so excuse me if my reasoning contains elemental flaws with regards to the functioning of these compounds. However, I can attest that there seems to be a strong correlation (despite n=1, so far), and some ancillary evidence, to support this as a possible route to greatly enhancing the effectiveness of this stack. The fact that flavonoids are pretty much harmless (at worst) make this possibility all the more compelling and worth trying.

That's a fantastic post - rec. I plan on trying the combination next as part of a two combination approach to mild depression, anxiety and mental clarity. The combo I'm using is yielding good results, but not all the way. This looks very promising to me.

Thanks for posting.
  • like x 1

#1095 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

About 4 days ago, I decided after many hours of research to start supplementing my diet with Flavonoids, and began drinking a concoction of raw Cacao powder and Grape Seed Extract. I began to notice, that same day, that every time I took the Gerbil Combo (which is twice per day, morning and evening), the effects seemed very powerful, to the point where I was noticing it very strongly: a pronounced sens of well-being

Cacao by itself will definitely do that.
  • like x 1

#1096 Heraclitean

• 134 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

Thank you, this will give me opportunity to clarify:

1) I have taken cacao regularly in the past, without achieving anything like this (a small boost perhaps, but nothing major).

2) I have also taken GSE before, which had no perceptible effect (Which doesn't mean I don't think it is a good supplement).

3) The Cacao+GSE concoction has no perceptible effect, until I take the Uridine (Sublingual, which may account for fast effects)+ DHA + Choline Bitartrate.

FWIW, my stack is: about 2g of EPA+DHA, 750 mg of Choline Bitartrate ad 200-250 mg Uridine (Sublingual), twice daily. I wash this down with effervescent Berocca-like vitamin drink, to provide cofactors.

#1097 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:59 AM

Thank you, this will give me opportunity to clarify:

1) I have taken cacao regularly in the past, without achieving anything like this (a small boost perhaps, but nothing major).

2) I have also taken GSE before, which had no perceptible effect (Which doesn't mean I don't think it is a good supplement).

3) The Cacao+GSE concoction has no perceptible effect, until I take the Uridine (Sublingual, which may account for fast effects)+ DHA + Choline Bitartrate.

FWIW, my stack is: about 2g of EPA+DHA, 750 mg of Choline Bitartrate ad 200-250 mg Uridine (Sublingual), twice daily. I wash this down with effervescent Berocca-like vitamin drink, to provide cofactors.

I've been using sublingual uridine for about 7 months now and have reported in the past what a profound effect it has had in lifting my "brain fog" and improving concentration and mental clarity. I also have supplemented grape seed and cocoa for a very long time (years)...so there could very well be some synergy (that obviously didn't occur until the addition of sublingual uridine). I am currently using 50mg grape seed twice daily but was using 100mg x2 and use a heaping tablespoon of cocoa twice daily mixed in yogurt. I also use a gram of resveratrol in the mornings with the uridine and first dose of grape seed. I am also supplementing a number of other extracts....so it could very well be the synergy of the cocktail....but uridine was the only thing I added when the profound effects occurred. Interesting discovery!!!

Edit: I wanted to emphasize that I had been taking all the other extracts and supplements prior to adding in the sublingual uridine...so any synergy (at least in regards to the profound mental effects) didn't occur until adding uridine...uridine was the only change I made. Everything else in the stack was existing components of my regimen.

Edited by Hebbeh, 22 May 2012 - 02:07 AM.

#1098 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

I was wondering of taking Grape Seed Extract to get some flavonoids. Is the NOW a reliable product
Now Foods Grape Seed 100 MG 200 vcaps

Ugh, this topic is HUGE! Stuck at page 18, still can't find answers...

ok, a few questions then :)

1. Anyone tried spirulina / yeasts with good result?

http://www.longecity...a/page__st__510

this guy tried brewers yeasts, huge amounts of them without results. But as far as I know, brewers yeasts sold as supplements are uridine-free, it's removed during process for "health reasons", so no wonder he feel nothing. Maybe baker's yeasts are the answer? I've started them few days ago, together with spirulina.

2. anyone noticed any improvements besides mental health? Skin condition, nails (things like nail ridges, lunula size), hair, athletic performance, improved circulation, sensitivity to seasonal allergy, energy level (like, no more cold feet)? I've saw some studies mentioning it at mitochondrial enchancer, as such it should enchance performance. As a runner I'm really interessed in any legal way of improving my times :) Yeasts and spirulina have both great impact on skin condition - they improve elasticity, increase moisture rate and so on. I wonder if uridine is at least partially responsible for this effect ?

I usually get my stuff from foods. I am taking Spirulina for Uridine, Eggs for Choline, and Fish Oil for the EPA/DHA. I need take a Vitamin E supplement that contains the different types of Vitamin E and not just one. However, it seems that Flavonoids seems to have a higher effect on those than using Vitamin E.

I have little positive increase with taking my Uridine stack, I am taking other things such ALCAR, Selegiline, etc. which I attribute to more of my increase in brain power. Hopefully after adding Flavonoids that my Uridine stack kicks in finally.

Edited by X_Danny_X, 22 May 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#1099 Heraclitean

• 134 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

I was wondering of taking Grape Seed Extract to get some flavonoids. Is the NOW a reliable product
Now Foods Grape Seed 100 MG 200 vcaps

I usually get my stuff from foods. I am taking Spirulina for Uridine, Eggs for Choline, and Fish Oil for the EPA/DHA. I need take a Vitamin E supplement that contains the different types of Vitamin E and not just one. However, it seems that Flavonoids seems to have a higher effect on those than using Vitamin E.

I have little positive increase with taking my Uridine stack, I am taking other things such ALCAR, Selegiline, etc. which I attribute to more of my increase in brain power. Hopefully after adding Flavonoids that my Uridine stack kicks in finally.

If you are using Spirulina as your source of Uridine, then you shouldn't be surprised that it isn't working for you, since this hasn't been studied yet as a viable substitute. All the studies done using Uridine have used it in supplemental (i.e. Isolated) form, not as a component of foodstuff. I don't know whether it is a good source of bioavailable uridine, but in any case we shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have a great effect.

Also, in my experience (Although not everybody's), eggs are not a sufficient substitute for Choline. Although they are relatively rich in lecithin, one must not exaggerate how much they have. Also, Lecithin is not freely interchangeable with Choline, and again, the studies were done using Choline, not Lecithin.

I'm not try to come across as critical; I would just like to point out that your lack of success may be due to the fact that you are following your own (untested) variant of the Gerbil Stack, a variant whose effectiveness is completely unknown.

NOW foods is an OK brand generally, not the best, but trustworthy nonetheless. If the price is competitive, I would go with them comfortably.

#1100 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Well, talking to Mr. Happy he brought a couple of studies that 5 grams of Spirulina does contain 250mg of Uridine, question is how much is used is the question. So what you said did cross my mind. However there are lot of folks who are taking and following the exact method as Mr. Happy has talked about and they feel little to no increase.

One egg has about 115mg of choline, I eat about 10-15 eggs a day, that is with the yolk included, Pastured eggs and not those pathetic ones you find in the supermarket. I also eat raw beef liver and A2 type milk, which are also good sources for choline a well.

What are the best brands out there choline? I am going to try Grape seed extract,

Edited by X_Danny_X, 22 May 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#1101 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the report. I have so far been a non-responder to uridine. I have tried the cacao and other flavonoids like luteolin without noticing much, but not GSE.

#1102 Synaptik

• 80 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

Does olive oil provide a good source of DHA or EPA? I don't eat seafood anymore because of the massive dumping of radioactive water in the Pacific ocean from Fukushima, Golf Coast oil spill etc. Maybe once in a while if it's from the Atlantic, but I need a reliable source. Refining fill oil, although tested for heavy metals, don;t test for radionuclides.

#1103 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:54 AM

Carlson's Fish Oil is from Europe and they are reliable brand. The amount of their liquid bottle is huge about 800/500 EPA/DHA mg in a single teaspoon. Plus 200mg more of other fatty omegas. In total of 1500mg.

#1104 Heraclitean

• 134 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

Synaptik: As far as I know, if you are unwilling to eat food harvested from the sea, then you have two choices: 1) Use vegetable sources of Omega-3, such as Flaxseed oil (Important caveat: this Omega-3 is ALA, not DHA or EPA. Although ALA can be converted to DHA/EPA in vivo, the efficiency of this process is quite low, although it seems ALA has some benefits of its own). 2) Look for eggs with high Omega-3 content. Not sure how easy to find that may be for you , Synaptik... I know it isn't easy in the UK.

Olive oil is a healthy oil, with plenty of monounsaturated fats. No, or negligible, omega-3 content though.

#1105 TheApprentice

• 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Damn this thread is long. I just ordered some uridine(25 grams) from ebay just because of this thread and research

#1106 Raza

• 454 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

Just finished reading this thread start to finish.

It sounds promising, and I'll be trying the combo as soon as my orders arive. More details then.

Superior Nutraceuticals now stocks an "Enhanced Sublingual Forumula" of urudine, that is almost-pure UMP with doses of vitamin B9 and B12 added

"Contents per scoop:
Uridine-5’-monophosphate disodium 250mg *
(6S)-5-methyltertrahydrofolate calcium 250mcg 62.5%
Methylcobolamin (Vitamin B12) 250mcg 4166%"

This seems in line with MrHappy's regime with the B12 megadose, and I assume that whoever designed it read this thread.

However, is the B12 megadose a concern for non-vegetarians? Do these added B-vitamins cover the need for supplementing those with uridine?

The stuff is (oddly) much cheaper than the pure UMP, at a little more than a dollar/gram, but only available in quantities upward of 90 grams.

What do de regulars of this thread think of this stuff?

#1107 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

I'll be ordering that next time. I can't see the harm in some additional B12, especially if you get regular exercise.

#1108 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

Could anyone enlighten me how uridine modulates dopamine and glutamate? Im interested how it would work with the ciltep stack i know it has been mentioned before but im lazy and there are nice guys and the forum wich makes that allright hehe:).
  • dislike x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#1109 MrHappy

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

Just finished reading this thread start to finish.

It sounds promising, and I'll be trying the combo as soon as my orders arive. More details then.

Superior Nutraceuticals now stocks an "Enhanced Sublingual Forumula" of urudine, that is almost-pure UMP with doses of vitamin B9 and B12 added

"Contents per scoop:
Uridine-5’-monophosphate disodium 250mg *
(6S)-5-methyltertrahydrofolate calcium 250mcg 62.5%
Methylcobolamin (Vitamin B12) 250mcg 4166%"

This seems in line with MrHappy's regime with the B12 megadose, and I assume that whoever designed it read this thread.

However, is the B12 megadose a concern for non-vegetarians? Do these added B-vitamins cover the need for supplementing those with uridine?

The stuff is (oddly) much cheaper than the pure UMP, at a little more than a dollar/gram, but only available in quantities upward of 90 grams.

What do de regulars of this thread think of this stuff?

I like the concept a lot, but the dose they are suggesting is very, very high. Those levels will likely cause temporary tinnitus after a few weeks, unless balanced with sufficient quantities of B1,2,3.

1 scoop per day (instead of 4) + supporting components should work very well.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1110 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:13 AM

Vitamin B12 and/or folate cause tinnitis? I've seen them mentioned as therapies.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: choline, uridine, dha, omega-3, epa, ump, tau, b vitamins

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By