• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

'2nd coming' of Jesus - How would he be accepted?

jesus second coming of jesus resurrection

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#91 Lister

• Member, Moderator
  • 390 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

How can you be so critical when you can’t be bothered enough to read all relevant information?

"So critical"? What are you talking about?? I somehow criticized a title which in itself didnt make any sense to me (the rest of the thread not having anything to do with my criticism) in a quick single post, without maliciousness, and that leads you to qualifying me as "so critical"??

I’ll change the topic back but you guys need to cut the off topic banter or I’ll start following the line of thought site admin would like me to follow; harsh consequences for off topic conversation.

I can't beleive this is adressed to me (among others)... I've actually just reread my interventions in this thread and your response here is absolutely uncalled for, and makes you look bad. Well i'm out of here for good this time, and won't ever come back to any religion-related topic (which I never intended to do anyway), so I hope I won't have to be abusively threatened (?) by a mod ever again!

Yess I made some mistakes... I must be human! Therefore I will not claim to be god... for today at least.

Regardless, drop it. You too Shadow.

Edited by Lister, 19 April 2013 - 01:58 AM.

• dislike x 1

#92 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

So why doesn't the god depicted in the Bible and other books communicate anything to the believers? Or if he does, why is it all controversial and full of discrepancies? It really seems as if "talking to god" in prayer is a mirage or at the very least one-sided.

No, God communicates with sincere believers. You're just unable to understand this because of your unbeliever status.

Yes. Exactly. So God communicates with the sincere believers amongst Jews, Catholics, Mormons, Jehova's witnesses, Muslims etc. This is clear. So how come the doctrines of these religions/beliefs diverge, instead of converge?

Like I told mikeinnaples, you need to pray to God for wisdom and understanding so you can see clearly. You don't want to be blind all your life do you?

Why does "God" grant the same things and experiences in prayer to Jews, Catholics, Mormons, Jehova's witnesses, Muslims etc.? Clearly it does not matter that much to "God" what the exact doctrine of the believers is?

Edited by platypus, 19 April 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#93 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

I’m not angry at you guys specifically – I’m just irritated at how much troll bait the religious side of this thread is eating (especially William). It’s not ok to derail a thread simply because you feel challenged on something that’s off topic. Even if you weren’t the one posing the challenge if you take up the challenge you will drive the thread further off topic.

Shadow, right after I changed the topic of the thread you came in with your comment. Don’t you think that’s a bit of a low blow? Aren’t you wise enough these days to read deep enough into the topic to see what’s going on? I won’t hold it against you but my Ad Hominem comment was merited.

And daouda, you didn’t know this was the same topic because you assumed it wasn’t and didn’t bother to verify. How can you be so critical when you can’t be bothered enough to read all relevant information?

I’ll change the topic back but you guys need to cut the off topic banter or I’ll start following the line of thought site admin would like me to follow; harsh consequences for off topic conversation. That goes for those non-religious OBVIOUS TROLLS on this thread too. I’ll come down harder on you if you keep up the one sentence troll bait.

I disagree with you that my criticism was ad hominem toward you in anyway but I apologize if I did not make it clear enough. I am continually criticized if I point out that posts are off topic. I am all for this rule but this has been going on for a long time and no one has said anything. The same goes for name calling and grading people DOWN. I don’t care but to be criticized for grading someone up is a bit much. This has been going on for a long time. It’s a ugly little game which I ignore by considering the source.

I look forward to a few civilizing rules which are now written down but seldom enforced. We need it. You have my confidence. Do your job. Thanks. :)
  • like x 1

#94 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

I’m not angry at you guys specifically – I’m just irritated at how much troll bait the religious side of this thread is eating (especially William). It’s not ok to derail a thread simply because you feel challenged on something that’s off topic. Even if you weren’t the one posing the challenge if you take up the challenge you will drive the thread further off topic.

Shadow, right after I changed the topic of the thread you came in with your comment. Don’t you think that’s a bit of a low blow? Aren’t you wise enough these days to read deep enough into the topic to see what’s going on? I won’t hold it against you but my Ad Hominem comment was merited.

And daouda, you didn’t know this was the same topic because you assumed it wasn’t and didn’t bother to verify. How can you be so critical when you can’t be bothered enough to read all relevant information?

I’ll change the topic back but you guys need to cut the off topic banter or I’ll start following the line of thought site admin would like me to follow; harsh consequences for off topic conversation. That goes for those non-religious OBVIOUS TROLLS on this thread too. I’ll come down harder on you if you keep up the one sentence troll bait.

I disagree with you that my criticism was ad hominem toward you in anyway but I apologize if I did not make it clear enough. I am continually criticized if I point out that posts are off topic. I am all for this rule but this has been going on for a long time and no one has said anything. The same goes for name calling and grading people DOWN. I don’t care but to be criticized for grading someone up is a bit much. This has been going on for a long time. It’s a ugly little game which I ignore by considering the source.

I look forward to a few civilizing rules which are now written down but seldom enforced. We need it. You have my confidence. Do your job. Thanks. :)

I believe there needs to be a revision of the posting rules to permit the exploration of all angles of a debate. In a religious debate, all angles need to be explored and debated because of nature of the topic. Whether religion is useful or whether God exists and communicates to humans is relevant and on topic in my opinion.

I haven't been posting here in Imminst (LongeCity) in a long time. The unwritten rule back-in-the-day was anything goes in the religious forum because it was held in low esteem. Apparently this has changed for some reason. If some old rule is now being applied more strictly than in the past and it's being done so to limit the free exchange of information and ideas then this is wrong.

Edited by william7, 20 April 2013 - 12:23 AM.

#95 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:21 AM

I believe there needs to be a revision of the posting rules to permit the exploration of all angles of a debate. In a religious debate, all angles need to be explored and debated because of nature of the topic. Whether religion is useful or whether God exists and communicates to humans is relevant and on topic in my opinion.

I haven't been posting here in Imminst (LongeCity) in a long time. The unwritten rule back-in-the-day was anything goes in the religious forum because it was held in low esteem. Apparently this has changed for some reason. If some old rule is now being applied more strictly than in the past and it's being done so to limit the free exchange of information and ideas then this is wrong.

You can explore all areas related to religion but you need to stay on topic otherwise it disintegrates into nonsense. Religion and God is no different than any other subject when it comes to this, I have been here since January, 2009 and it has always been this way since I started. When ignored, we have this.

The reason religion is held in low esteem is anything goes. Bigotry. Insane! What limits the exchange is strings of logical fallacy, name calling and juvenile discussions.. The religion forums need to br under the same guidelines as any other. We have a perfect example of what happens when everyone goes off topic in this topic. See some of the other topic discussions as well..
  • like x 2

#96 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:24 AM

You can explore all areas related to religion but you need to stay on topic otherwise it disintegrates into nonsense. Religion and God is no different than any other subject when it comes to this, I have been here since January, 2009 and it has always been this way since I started. When ignored, we have this.

The reason religion is held in low esteem is anything goes. Bigotry. Insane! What limits the exchange is strings of logical fallacy, name calling and juvenile discussions.. The religion forums need to br under the same guidelines as any other. We have a perfect example of what happens when everyone goes off topic in this topic. See some of the other topic discussions as well..

I don't believe I can be accused of committing any of the violations you point to. But, I can see how I could possibly be misinterpreted as committing such violations. There's always going to be a big gap and divergence of opinion between the unbeliever and the believer, the exploiter and the exploited, and the wrongdoer and the one who does right. I look at my posts as trying to steer the unbeliever, the exploiter, and the wrongdoer down the right path.

I started hanging out here in 2006 when Longecity was called Imminst. Around 2008 or 2009, I slowed down because of work and school. From my memory, there was a very strong anti-God, pro-science bias here then (probably still is). I think they even considered taking the religious forum off line. There was zero tolerance for religious posts in the other forums. I'm for the good ole days of the right to speak freely in the religious forum. Unless there's an imminent threat of harm, no posts should be moderated. Ridiculous posts can be tolerated and ignored.
  • like x 1

#97 Lister

• Member, Moderator
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:07 AM

So how will the world accept the second coming of Jesus? It’s a pretty good topic – I put lots of effort into my original response because I liked the topic a lot.

Honestly I can’t see an easy way for Jesus to return and for everyone to recognize Jesus as who he is… I wouldn’t be surprised if he was assumed to be an Alien… or when the day comes that Aliens visit and take human form (or not) they get wrongly assumed to be Jesus…

I’m sure it would all be rather confusing.

#98 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Honestly I can’t see an easy way for Jesus to return and for everyone to recognize Jesus as who he is

It won't be easy for many as the Bible makes clear. One of my favorite passages on the second coming is from the Old Testament - Zechariah 14. It explains a lot to me. Apparently, the nations will attack Jerusalem and get the surprise of their lives. And I don't think it will be just the Islamic countries that will be attacking. The atheist[d] countries will be involved too.

The Lord Comes and Reigns

1 A day of the Lord is coming, Jerusalem, when your possessions will be plundered and divided up within your very walls.
2 I will gather all the nations to Jerusalem to fight against it; the city will be captured, the houses ransacked, and the women raped. Half of the city will go into exile, but the rest of the people will not be taken from the city. 3 Then the Lord will go out and fight against those nations, as he fights on a day of battle. 4 On that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, forming a great valley, with half of the mountain moving north and half moving south. 5 You will flee by my mountain valley, for it will extend to Azel. You will flee as you fled from the earthquake[a] in the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Then the Lord my God will come, and all the holy ones with him.
6 On that day there will be neither sunlight nor cold, frosty darkness. 7 It will be a unique day—a day known only to the Lord—with no distinction between day and night. When evening comes, there will be light.
8 On that day living water will flow out from Jerusalem, half of it east to the Dead Sea and half of it west to the Mediterranean Sea, in summer and in winter.
9 The Lord will be king over the whole earth. On that day there will be one Lord, and his name the only name.
10 The whole land, from Geba to Rimmon, south of Jerusalem, will become like the Arabah. But Jerusalem will be raised up high from the Benjamin Gate to the site of the First Gate, to the Corner Gate, and from the Tower of Hananel to the royal winepresses, and will remain in its place. 11 It will be inhabited; never again will it be destroyed. Jerusalem will be secure.
12 This is the plague with which the Lord will strike all the nations that fought against Jerusalem: Their flesh will rot while they are still standing on their feet, their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths. 13 On that day people will be stricken by the Lord with great panic. They will seize each other by the hand and attack one another. 14 Judah too will fight at Jerusalem. The wealth of all the surrounding nations will be collected—great quantities of gold and silver and clothing. 15 A similar plague will strike the horses and mules, the camels and donkeys, and all the animals in those camps.
16 Then the survivors from all the nations that have attacked Jerusalem will go up year after year to worship the King, the Lord Almighty, and to celebrate the Festival of Tabernacles. 17 If any of the peoples of the earth do not go up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the Lord Almighty, they will have no rain. 18 If the Egyptian people do not go up and take part, they will have no rain. The Lord[b] will bring on them the plague he inflicts on the nations that do not go up to celebrate the Festival of Tabernacles. 19 This will be the punishment of Egypt and the punishment of all the nations that do not go up to celebrate the Festival of Tabernacles.
20 On that day holy to the Lord will be inscribed on the bells of the horses, and the cooking pots in the Lord’s house will be like the sacred bowls in front of the altar. 21 Every pot in Jerusalem and Judah will be holy to the Lord Almighty, and all who come to sacrifice will take some of the pots and cook in them. And on that day there will no longer be a Canaanite[c] in the house of the Lord Almighty.

Footnotes:

a. Zechariah 14:5 Or 5 My mountain valley will be blocked and will extend to Azel. It will be blocked as it was blocked because of the earthquake

b. Zechariah 14:18 Or part, then the Lord

c. Zechariah 14:21 Or merchant

d. When I say atheist here, I mean those who profess to believe in or practice some form of organized Christianity that teaches the opposite of what the Bible actually teaches while in their hearts believing God doesn't really exist and life and humanity came about through some evolutionary chance event.
  • WellResearched x 1

#99 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

i translated Zechariah from Hebrew into English as I taught myself Hebrew. Your definition of Atheism is unlike any I have ever heard. I do not believe you have to reject evolution to be a Christian. Where does it say that in the Bible? When Christ comes again he will be received by Believers but rejected by those who want nothing to do with him.
  • like x 1

#100 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

i translated Zechariah from Hebrew into English as I taught myself Hebrew. Your definition of Atheism is unlike any I have ever heard. I do not believe you have to reject evolution to be a Christian. Where does it say that in the Bible? When Christ comes again he will be received by Believers but rejected by those who want nothing to do with him.

Even though you may have translated Zechariah from Hebrew into English, you did not take all of the Scriptures to heart during the process. You may have understood the Hebrew and English language and the process of translation, but you did not understand the Scriptures. God Himself says in the Scriptures that He created the heavens and the earth and everything in them. Clearly, this was not a blind, evolutionary chance event. This was intentional design by a Creator with a plan. True, God may have manipulated some evolutionary process to get the task done.

Are you the young Jewish man from California I use to debate with back in 2008?

#101 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

Even though you may have translated Zechariah from Hebrew into English, you did not take all of the Scriptures to heart during the process. You may have understood the Hebrew and English language and the process of translation, but you did not understand the Scriptures. God Himself says in the Scriptures that He created the heavens and the earth and everything in them. Clearly, this was not a blind, evolutionary chance event. This was intentional design by a Creator with a plan. True, God may have manipulated some evolutionary process to get the task done.

Are you the young Jewish man from California I use to debate with back in 2008?

I do take the scriptures to heart. Ad hominian attack. Where is your evidence?
I believe God Created the heavens and earth. I have argued extensively about this here in this forum. I am not an evolutionist but that does not mean I don’ believe in change. This is not the place or topic for the discussion but I welcome it elsewhere such as here http://www.longecity...ut/#entry537129
And here: http://www.longecity...de/#entry564639

The young Jewish man may have been Jesus Christ whom I believe is God. He wasn’t from California but I am. I am alas, Scottish. I wasn’t here in 2008.

Don’t you see why we need to stay on topic? This topic is about the 2nd coming.
  • like x 1

#102 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

I do take the scriptures to heart. Ad hominian attack. Where is your evidence?
I believe God Created the heavens and earth. I have argued extensively about this here in this forum. I am not an evolutionist but that does not mean I don’ believe in change.

Below is my evidence. It's Ipso Facto. The New Testament supports this. See John 1:3; Colossians 1:16. This is what the early Christian church believed. I've never heard of a middle ground between creation and evolution. It's either one or the other.

Genesis 1

New International Version (NIV)
The Beginning

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.
6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.
9 And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good.
11 Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.
14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.
20 And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.” 23 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.
24 And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.
26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.
31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

This is not the place or topic for the discussion but I welcome it elsewhere such as here http://www.longecity...ut/#entry537129
And here: http://www.longecity...de/#entry564639

Yet, you opened the debate on this side issue knowing it was not the place to debate it.

The young Jewish man may have been Jesus Christ whom I believe is God. He wasn’t from California but I am. I am alas, Scottish. I wasn’t here in 2008.

My mistake.

#103 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:53 AM

Wrong place and off topic. I have suggested a couple places to discuss it. :)
  • like x 1

#104 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

Answering this thread depends on who you are talking about. Some will welcome Him with open arms, others will not be happy. Still thers do not believe but this does not mean they will not be affected. No one knows the time and place.

You said will instead of the contingent form would. I knew that you espoused Christianity, but I didn't know that you did to the point of being a fundamentalist. I'm just a bit surprised, that's all.

#105 Lister

• Member, Moderator
  • 390 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:41 AM

Answering this thread depends on who you are talking about. Some will welcome Him with open arms, others will not be happy. Still others do not believe but this does not mean they will not be affected. No one knows the time and place.

You said will instead of the contingent form would. I knew that you espoused Christianity, but I didn't know that you did to the point of being a fundamentalist. I'm just a bit surprised, that's all.

That's a pretty big leap you've just taken there. A Christian who believes that Jesus will return and that people who don't believe will still be affected is by no means a fundamentalist.

Believing that Jesus will return and change the world is a pretty common theme among Christians. To say that Christians who believe in the second coming of Jesus are fundamentalist is to say that any Christian who believes in objective truth is a fundamentalist. Isn’t (most) religion founded on the principle of objective Truth (w/capital T)? (IE: God is Real, Heaven and Hell are real, sin is real, etc.)

#106 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:46 AM

Answering this thread depends on who you are talking about. Some will welcome Him with open arms, others will not be happy. Still others do not believe but this does not mean they will not be affected. No one knows the time and place.

That's a pretty big leap you've just taken there. A Christian who believes that Jesus will return and that people who don't believe will still be affected is by no means a fundamentalist.

Believing that Jesus will return and change the world is a pretty common theme among Christians. To say that Christians who believe in the second coming of Jesus are fundamentalist is to say that any Christian who believes in objective truth is a fundamentalist. Isn’t (most) religion founded on the principle of objective Truth (w/capital T)? (IE: God is Real, Heaven and Hell are real, sin is real, etc.)

If religions were founded on the idea of objective truth, there'd be only one.

#107 Lister

• Member, Moderator
  • 390 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Percieved Objective Truth. Find me a true objective truth and I'll find you someone who will call it subjective.
  • like x 1

#108 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

Answering this thread depends on who you are talking about. Some will welcome Him with open arms, others will not be happy. Still thers do not believe but this does not mean they will not be affected. No one knows the time and place.

Typically off topic and an example of personal attack. Ha ha ha. It is good to have a grammar checker on line. You caught this from three months ago. Amazing! Do you perform this service for everyone?

“Fundamentalist,” perhaps, it depends on what you are talking about. One can be a fundamentalist grammarian. Please define what you are talking about so I can know if I are one. :)

#109 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

N.T.M. :

Does that go for all the other fields of knowledge as well. Name one field of knowledge where there is only one fundmalist (correct the spelling here) view. If you can't name one is the truth, there is no objective truth? Why say this only about religion?

Edited by shadowhawk, 30 April 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#110 arska

• 54 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

Hi,

I would like to share an alternative view on this Cristian Deity:

http://www.truthbekn.../christmyth.htm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jesus, second coming of jesus, resurrection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users