• 32 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

@somerandomnotuscitizen
Check the last time this was updated
  • WellResearched x 1

#62 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:11 AM

Tracer, have you considered learning a new language? I have heard of people supposedly increasing their working memory through this process. This could be very promising for anyone who wishes to increase their intelligence, because you may not only increase your overall intelligence but also acquire a new way of understanding things through the context of a different means of communication.

Rosetta Stone (albeit is expensive) could make this practical.

Oh wow old post!

Edited by sparkk51, 23 April 2012 - 01:34 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 Valor5

• 289 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:12 AM

Tracer, have you considered learning a new language? I have heard of people supposedly increasing their working memory through this process. This could be very promising for anyone who wishes to increase their intelligence, because you may not only increase your overall intelligence but also acquire a new way of understanding things through the context of a different means of communication.

Oh wow old post!

forget resetta start with pimsleur

#64 brainslugged

• 305 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:19 AM

I have read about piracetam possibly increasing long-term intelligence if used when the brain is developing. I don't know the reliability of these claims though.

#65 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

n-back exercise.

#66 1thoughtMaze1

• 335 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Who here is taking IGF-1? What brand and where did you get it? And of course how is it? Do you feel like a teenager again?

#67 tracer

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

Hey guys

I'm back :-D

Well, it's been almost 5 years since I started this journey and I can say the following:

It worked - I am smarter and more efficient (since I have not been on the regimen for about 2 years now I assume that the effects have been permanent). However, the problems that I am experiencing now are related to ADD and EQ.

I've always had ADD, which is not really worse now, but it's more impactful given my career level, etc.

More significantly it has to do with EQ - The way I deal with people sucks unless I "step outside of myself" and consciously apply techniques like NLP and Dale Carnegie. Colleagues think I'm arrogant because I'm outspoken and almost always right. Also, they say that I am too detailed - having listened to myself it's an understandable statement - I talk too fast with too many acronyms which damages personal and professional relationships.

In short, whether this was a real or placebo effect, the results didn't produce the outcome that I was looking for...

However, this is largely to do with my progression from junior analyst at a consulting firm to an executive (a couple of levels away from making partner). The skills required here are very different since it's more about EQ and leadership than it is about brute-force analytic ability. I should also give some more info here:
  • Stopped taking the regimen, tried out wellbutrin for a while... currently on it. No major value for me.
  • Never did the IGF1 and HGF - may do in future.
  • Started smoking... yes, yes, I know. :sad:
  • Because of work and personal commitments as well as job-related travel, I ended up not training much and eating crap - in average shape at present (the worst of my life, though).

In short, it just means that I need to adapt, to develop a new regimen for a new situation. Looks like there are lots of other cool products to read up on as well. Anyone with any recommendations and updates?

Edited by tracer, 10 July 2012 - 07:20 AM.

• like x 3

#68 Rior

• 279 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

I might suggest trying out Bacopa monnieri? It's been working wonders for me so far even at a very low dose, and I'm a week in. Base ability to understand people, register their feelings etc have been enhanced. I'm going to try a much larger dose today based on this thread: http://www.longecity...safe-daily-dose/ which I think would be of great interest to you :) It certainly was to me. In terms of EQ, that thread makes it sound like a fantastic EQ enhancer.
  • like x 1

#69 8bitmore

• 347 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Oh wow old post!

forget resetta start with pimsleur

Hi valory; why would you prefer Pimsleur to Rosetta? Just asking out of interest and because I think Rosetta looks very appealing option (I say this without ever having tried either).

#70 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

Tracer I think you will find this thread interesting with regard to EQ:
http://www.longecity...ly-induced-ltp/
A number of people have reported getting along with others much better on this stack.

Solal has a Forskolin (in their 'weight loss facilitator') and Quercetin.
http://www.solaltech.com/index2.php

I want to combine the above with this stack:
http://www.longecity...ne-uridine-dha/
I can't find any Uridine here (South Africa) though and dont feel like jumping through the hoops of fire required to get the stuff through customs.
What has your experience been with getting supplements through customs here?

#71 Rior

• 279 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

I've been taking the CILTEP stack daily for about a month and a half now. It's pretty good for general attention span, I suppose it makes me friendlier, it has seemed to make me more tireder after taking it for this long. The combination of the CILTEP stack and a good energy drink is quite a force to be reckoned with though. Pure motivation. CILTEP+Bacopa is what I've started as of a week ago, and if you can survive the slight tiredness it's really quite a great stack for openness, attention span and relaxation :)

#72 hooter

• 504 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Meditation, Hydergine or Tianeptine, and Cerebrolysin!
:)

#73 tracer

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to focus on the ADD at the moment as it is an immediate problem, so looking for symptomatic treatments as well as stuff to augment a neuroplasticity regimen. Likely to be a similar stack to the one I used before just with more behavioural tweaks. The intent is to treat the ADD first then focus on the EQ stuff... for all I know it may self-rectify.

#74 Rior

• 279 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

I'll again recommend...Bacopa! Works great on short term memory, which may help said ADD. I've got pretty severe ADHD-PI as well (ADD), and the CILTEP stack (including silymarin) on top of Bacopa has been helping me pretty tremendously. CILTEP for ADD more than anything, but the bacopa surely helps short term memory and increases general sense of well-being, so that's an obvious good addition.

#75 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

Ashwaghanda helps with short term memory as well plus intelligence/working memory.

#76 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:32 PM

so the thread starter got permament boost in brain power by just taking normal nootropics that is well known??

Edited by X_Danny_X, 12 July 2012 - 11:35 PM.

#77 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:41 AM

Check this out: http://www.inflammat...memory-research. Scroll through the pages about Bacopa, and read the abstracts, but beware, they are trying to sell it.

Burn your thyroid out? That seems like just some intuitive hypothesis pulled off the top of your head...like that piracetam depletes calcium or choline or glutamate...sure that might make sense, but there's no proof of it yet...so why go around claiming that's what happens? It only increases T4 by ~40% in mice given huge doses (maybe 3-5 grams daily equivalent in humans?). So avoid it if you have hyperthyroidism, Graves' disease, thryroiditis, benign thyroid growths, testicular or ovarian cancer risk factors, high exposure to bpa/phthalates in childhood, irregular heartbeats or hypertension, or hypothyroidism (treat this with conventional therapies, since bacopa only boosts T4 [not T3], and through an unexplored mechanism). It also doesn't improve sleep, but it just makes me tired/exhausted/depleted (consistent with T4 boosts), but rather it interferes with deep sleep and causes anxiety. It has other side effects too, but there's too many. I recommend it for epilepsy (not bipolar/schizo tho) and cognitive decline and to help heal brain damage (drugs, stress, or trauma) [i'm not exactly sure through which mechanism it induces neuroprotection/genesis, but it does appear to restore such functions as memory and cognition and normal thinking when you're brain is frazzled], but I myself (now taking 400-500 mg daily) don't find it helpful to healthy people. If anything, its side effects are unwanted. It has anti-toxic effects (liver&kidney) and anti-inflammatory (heart) and bronchodialation and cytotoxic (against sarcomas) properties, as well as others, but I think these mechanisms are insignificant. Honestly, I don't think it's too helpful for anxiety, but it has some benefits for unhealthy brains...no denying that. Whether or not these balance out with the negative is a matter of controversy.

Edited by dasheenster, 13 July 2012 - 01:43 AM.

#78 tracer

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

@X_Danny_X yes, common noots AUGMENTING a very specific training regimen. The noots let me push harder and probably assisted in the re-wiring that was a result of the training (i.e. neuroplastic state).

So, yes it's been a while since I was on a nootropic regimen and my reasoning abilities still feel heightened. However, working memory is shorter now that I'm off the noots - scoring sub 5 in the Cogmed tests at the moment. Last time I tried similar tests I was scoring 6-7. I'll give you an example - I just started Champix in addition to my Wellbutrin (to quit smoking) and found that my ADD was insane the last couple of days (trying to open the car door without having unlocked it, then getting in and going "now where are the car keys"). Today's just Champix and last dost of Wellbutrin was yesterday morning and I feel substantially better, but I was trying to listen to an audio book in the car and every 20s my mind would be wandering off to never-never land... that sucks.

My thought is that if I were to do it over again I would have focused more on meditation, concentration and working memory. But that'll be the next stack... Hopefully this is fixable.

#79 tracer

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

It has anti-toxic effects (liver&kidney) and anti-inflammatory (heart) and bronchodialation and cytotoxic (against sarcomas) properties, as well as others, but I think these mechanisms are insignificant. Honestly, I don't think it's too helpful for anxiety, but it has some benefits for unhealthy brains...no denying that. Whether or not these balance out with the negative is a matter of controversy.

Thanks... will read through it. But does the above mena that the "sides" you mention above are unwanted? THey seem relatively positive, or at least harmless...

#80 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Today's just Champix and last dost of Wellbutrin was yesterday morning and I feel substantially better, but I was trying to listen to an audio book in the car and every 20s my mind would be wandering off to never-never land... that sucks.

My thought is that if I were to do it over again I would have focused more on meditation, concentration and working memory. But that'll be the next stack... Hopefully this is fixable.

Champix is a very strong drug, highly psychoactive and not a nootropic. From what I've read it should really only be taken to quit smoking. I would just throw out any expectations of having a high functioning brain while taking it.

#81 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

Strange because I was asking if any of the nootropics will enhance memory and intelligence for keeps and create a new higher base level. So far everyone mentioned that nothing in the cards are there no matter what regimen you use to keep it while you are off the noots, only when you are on them.

But it is good to know that something work for you and permanently gave you a new higher intelligence level with memory and cognitive function.

Edited by X_Danny_X, 13 July 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#82 Rior

• 279 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

Strange because I was asking if any of the nootropics will enhance memory and intelligence for keeps and create a new higher base level.

Cerebrolysin? Hell, that seems to be the only thing I could think of that would have consistent, permanent effects after you're done taking it. Seeing as it's purpose is essentially helping you build neurons faster, this would make sense. That said, I still have yet to experience it myself, so I'm only going off of subjective reports. I'd try cerebrolysin though if you're still going for permanent increases in base intelligence.

#83 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

That is with needleshots, correct. The jury is still out on that one, there is a huge thread and so far most of those boys haven't felt alot of increase in brain power or have kept whatever gains they had. I kind of believe that there isn't any at this time to increase a new higher level of intelligence.

#84 FrankMH

• 42 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

Anything NGF or BDNF related would meet your criteria no?

#85 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

Such as Lion's Mane and ALCAR then? They target the NGF receptors.

#86 tracer

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

So yes, there was a focus on NGF, BDNF and a couple of other things. I guess the key thing here is that maybe taking noots and not training is like taking gym supps and not training...

I'm fairly sure that I had mentioned the rest of the regime earlier - i.e. brain entrainment, image streaming, dive reflex training...

#87 whoknows

• 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

To learn a new language was mentioned. I really can recommend this. Its keeps your brain young and its really challenging i thing there is nothing harder then to learn a new language.

#88 FrankMH

• 42 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

To learn a new language was mentioned. I really can recommend this. Its keeps your brain young and its really challenging i thing there is nothing harder then to learn a new language.

I'm currently learning German whilst taking a mix of supplements for study (including CILTEP, Bacopa, and Creatine). I certainly feel quite sharp after an hour's study; like I'm working out the areas of my brain I need.

#89 tracer

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Champix is a very strong drug, highly psychoactive and not a nootropic. From what I've read it should really only be taken to quit smoking. I would just throw out any expectations of having a high functioning brain while taking it.

Taking it to quit smoking... it makes me nauseous (some times) and I do feel like my ADD is worse while on it... only a few more weeks to go...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#90 whoknows

• 30 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

I'm currently learning German whilst taking a mix of supplements for study (including CILTEP, Bacopa, and Creatine).

hehe german , feel free to write something in german. actually i like creatine. for workout and studies. it makes me feel awake and strong. i can really recommend it, has some side affects but better take less then to much. i hope boosted choline can improve to learn vocabulary but i am not sure what works best. i think to learn a language really shows you what your brain is capable of. you can believe that you are getting smarter but try to learn a language and you will see what you are really capable of.

Edited by whoknows, 18 July 2012 - 09:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users