• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

what meds decrease amygdala activity?

meds social anxiety high serotonin discussion amygdala activity progesterone overactive amygdala

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#91 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

took 50mg dhea and 300mg pregnenolone like 2 hours ago. cant say I felt much just a warm feeling. Im guessing it takes a few weeks to work? 

#92 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:24 PM

Look into Lysine. It's not so much decreasing amygdala but more like regulating it instead.

Do you have a source for lysine regulating the amygdala?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#93 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:11 PM

my lithium arrived took 20mg

on the directions  It says 1 tablet provides 131mg lithium orotate with 5mg elemntal lithium.  so I dont know which dosage type to refer it as. But I took 4 tablets which is 20mg elemntal lithium and 524mg litihum orotate. 

nothing yet but is been like 5 mins.

(edit) still nothing been like 2 hours...

Edited by farshad, 27 October 2017 - 01:09 PM.

#94 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:03 PM

check this out :https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/26083190

CONCLUSIONS AND RELEVANCE:

Neurotransmission in SAD is characterized by an overactive presynaptic serotonin system, with increased serotonin synthesis and transporter availability. 

#95 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

im convinced my problem is high serotonin.. maybe not an overactive amygdala but just a lot of serotonin . thats why so few medications work for me. Vallium worked for me cus it decreases serotonin. anyway lithium doesent seem to be doing anything. the pregnenolone/dhea I will stay on them for a month to see how it goes.

next meds I will try are agomelatine and bromantane since they have some effect on serotonin 

, bromantane does inhibit the reuptake of serotonin and agomelatine blocks 5ht2c and improves circadian rhythm.

if these 2 dont end up working after that... hopefully next week my doctor situation is fixed and I can actually get meds from doctor then. the first Medication I will ask for is Mirtazapine.

http://www.valiumadd...fect-serotonin/

When Valium enters the brain, it increases the inhibitory effect of GABA, which then blocks serotonin’s ability to fire messages throughout the brain; the result of this interaction is a general decrease in serotonin. Depending on the dosage of Valium, the inhibitory effect of GABA is usually excessive, which causes lower levels of serotonin than are needed.

#96 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

i itch a lot for no reason now I know why
https://www.niams.ni...-and-scratching

cus of my high serotonin..
I also belive my high serotonin is responsible for my ocd but I cant find any studies.

#97 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

is this true?? what does this mean exactly

''Ifthere's too much serotonin for the number of serotonin receptors, the excessserotonin will be re-absorbed by the re-uptake receptors''

#98 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:06 PM

I ordered Bromantane , Methylene Blue  and Guanfacine  from nootropicsource... dont know if the site is a scam or not... some say their products are low quality.... Anyway they told me they will send me the tracking once they have shipped.

#99 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:03 AM

doesent clonidine have some effect on the amygdala

#100 hydrus

• 98 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

Vallium worked for me cus it decreases serotonin. anyway lithium doesent seem to be doing anything. the pregnenolone/dhea I will stay on them for a month to see how it goes.

When Valium enters the brain, it increases the inhibitory effect of GABA, which then blocks serotonin’s ability to fire messages throughout the brain; the result of this interaction is a general decrease in serotonin. Depending on the dosage of Valium, the inhibitory effect of GABA is usually excessive, which causes lower levels of serotonin than are needed.

How do you react to drinking alcohol? 

#101 Deaden

• 232 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

Damn why is this dude's anxiety so hard to treat? Someone help him

#102 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

Vallium worked for me cus it decreases serotonin. anyway lithium doesent seem to be doing anything. the pregnenolone/dhea I will stay on them for a month to see how it goes.

How do you react to drinking alcohol? 

just drank it a few times it depends on the brand some work for my anxiety and others dont.

#103 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

nootropicsource has something called  Tetrahydrobiopterin . is that something that can be used to reduce serotonin?

from wiki:

Tetrahydrobiopterin has the following responsibilities as a cofactor:

#104 hydrus

• 98 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

No, I think Tetrahydrobiopterin will increase neurotransmitter levels including serotonin.

What were the top 5 interventions that you have tried so far?

• like x 1

#105 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

No, I think Tetrahydrobiopterin will increase neurotransmitter levels including serotonin.

zyprexa and diazepam worked they decrease serotonin.

memantine kind of worked with anxiety its weird to explain it helped but my anxiety was still there. I will probably order memantine again it worked very well if the ones I ordered now dont end up working . I have also tried Nardil the MAOI it did nothing for me only side effects. I have tried some serotonin antagonist cyproheptadine didnt work but metergoline worked a little bit not much. I belive that is because they dont reduce serotonin they just stop it from having an effect. People tell me its the same thing but I belive otherwise. A med I really wanna try which I belive will work is Mirtazapine... But my doctor apointment is on 22 November so I have a really long time to wait .

here is a list of all the meds I tried:

diazepam
zyprexa
memantine
lexapro 
sertraline
buspar
Celexa
PAXIL 
Prozac 
Nardil
propranolol 
klonopin 
Alimemazine 
Venlafaxine
Bisoprolol
LYRICA
tianeptine 
seroquel
Cyproheptadine 
Reserpine
lergigan
Atarax
phenibut
kratom
St Johns Wort 
rhodiola rosea
SAM-E
5-MTHF
Trimethylglycine
metergoline 
lithium

Edited by farshad, 04 November 2017 - 08:26 PM.

#106 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:32 AM

might give ssri an shot again.. someone said it takes like 3 months for your serotonin to balance/downregulate when taking an ssri. Max I gave an ssri was probably a month. Will probably be lexapro.

Edited by farshad, 05 November 2017 - 01:33 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#107 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:50 PM

intresting read I found:

Symptoms of High Serotonin

The following are symptoms of elevated serotonin in the brain:

Depression
Apathy
Passivity
Loss of motivation
Nasal stuffiness or congestion
Allergic-type symptoms and allergies
Cold or flu-like symptoms
Acne and other skin disorders
Insomnia and other sleep problems
Impaired intellectual functioning
Difficulty concentrating and learning
Poor memory; amnesia
Difficulty making decisions and acting on them
Difficulty making plans and implementing them
Procrastination
Muddled thinking; brain fog
Lack of desire or interest 
Emotional flatness or dullness
Sexual dysfunction
Hearing loss or noises in the ears
Altered sense of smell; strange smell in nose

The depression associated with high serotonin is of a different variety from the classical depression, which is most familiar. The typical symptoms of anxiety, low mood, pessimism, sadness, emotional instability, etc. are missing. For that reason it often overlooked, and nothing is done about it. 

High serotonin lowers acetylcholine, norepinephrine, and dopamine in the brain and prevents the release of those neurotransmitters. Because of this, too much serotonin relative to the other brain chemicals results in a type of depression, albeit a different kind. Serotonin is a natural tranquilizer and pain reliever. It has a relaxing, calming, anti-anxiety effect in the brain. However, too much serotonin causes excessive nervous system inhibition (depression) with the above symptoms. 

In addition, high serotonin is associated with age-related decline of health and increased susceptibility to disease, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer, because of a decrease of growth hormone (and other hormones), which depend on norepinephrine and dopamine in the hypothalamus of the brain for normal pituitary function.

Once recognized, a high serotonin condition can be alleviated by stopping the use of a medication, a supplement, or food that increases serotonin in the brain. It may take awhile, but serotonin should gradually return to more normal levels. There are, however, instances when the amounts of serotonin in certain parts of the brain may remain elevated, and this can create long-term problems. In general, whenever norepinephrine and dopamine are depleted (I.e., as occurs with continual use of stimulants) the potential for serotonin to become too high increases.

#108 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:49 PM

I just found out Huperzine A is an NMDA antagonist like memantine. might give it a try .

#109 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:37 PM

say a person has high serotonin levels and im talking very high than normal what would that cause longterm ?  for like a few years? I know High serotonin lowers acetylcholine, norepinephrine, and dopamine in the brain and prevents the release of those neurotransmitters.  So thats why I was thinking of suplementing with alpha gpc  to increase acetylcholine. Is tyrosine effective in increasing  dopamine and norepinephrine? but than again the high serotonin would prevent it from releasing right? Im supplementing with DHEA and pregnenolone now but they dont seem to be doing a lot .. when I tried progesterone I felt a big difference but I was using a high dose like 100mg. Im taking like 300mg pregnenolone so I get about 150mg progesterone well I should but is it possible there is some mutation that prevents pregnenolone in your body from converting to progesterone? because I dont feel the 150mg progesterone  I should be getting from pregnenolone  that leads me to belive maybe there is some receptor mutation or whatever that  I might have.

I was using that progesterone in oil with vitamin E , I forgot the name but I took it orally .  low doses were not doing that much.. I was taking 12mg but it helped a little but wen I went up to like 50mg I felt a huge difference and a good one especially for my anxiety. but it ran out quickly since you are only supposed to take like 12mg daily. Also do you know if Progesterone reduces Serotonin levels?? what im thinking is I have some progesterone mutation that (im a male)  leads to no progesterone in my body and my serotonin levels go up. I have tried zyprexa and diazepam and they worked well for my anxiety out of like 30 meds. I belive that is because they reduce serotonin levels.

I will order progesterone cream since I can go higher doses with that and its more effecient to absorb in your skin or so they say.. I have also ordered cholestrol to test out but I doubt it will work. 

#110 hydrus

• 98 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

yes I think in theory tyrosine might lower serotonin levels over time as well increasing acetylcholine might help BUT tyrosine can also be problematic in individuals with history of mania, psychosis or anxiety.

some find it lowers anxiety but others become anxious and agitated by it.

#111 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:20 PM

yes I think in theory tyrosine might lower serotonin levels over time as well increasing acetylcholine might help BUT tyrosine can also be problematic in individuals with history of mania, psychosis or anxiety.

some find it lowers anxiety but others become anxious and agitated by it.

I remember trying tyrosine and Mucuna Pruriens didnt do anything for  me I suspect its cus of my high serotonin blocking it somehow. Maybe I should combine alpha GPC with Mucuna Pruriens.

also about the progesterone I might try something called Vitex Agnus Castus" extract to increase progesterone. Seems to be the only OTC that increase it that you can take orally . also the cream version of progesterone doesent seem to absorb well from what I have read.

Edited by farshad, 06 November 2017 - 07:56 PM.

#112 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:36 AM

I think tianeptine alone should work regarding lowering serotonin. I think you using too much is really just that; TOO MUCH! 

zyprexa and diazepam worked they decrease serotonin.

memantine kind of worked with anxiety its weird to explain it helped but my anxiety was still there. I will probably order memantine again it worked very well if the ones I ordered now dont end up working . I have also tried Nardil the MAOI it did nothing for me only side effects. I have tried some serotonin antagonist cyproheptadine didnt work but metergoline worked a little bit not much. I belive that is because they dont reduce serotonin they just stop it from having an effect. People tell me its the same thing but I belive otherwise. A med I really wanna try which I belive will work is Mirtazapine... But my doctor apointment is on 22 November so I have a really long time to wait .

here is a list of all the meds I tried:

diazepam
zyprexa
memantine
lexapro 
sertraline
buspar
Celexa
PAXIL 
Prozac 
Nardil
propranolol 
klonopin 
Alimemazine 
Venlafaxine
Bisoprolol
LYRICA
tianeptine 
seroquel
Cyproheptadine 
Reserpine
lergigan
Atarax
phenibut
kratom
St Johns Wort 
rhodiola rosea
SAM-E
5-MTHF
Trimethylglycine
metergoline 
lithium

#113 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:49 AM

https://www.ncbi.nlm...cles/PMC307574/

L-lysine is used with dextroamphetamine to create Vyvanse. I was on Vyvanse. It decreased my phobias, as we all know amphetamines gives one confidence. I think confidence is key to lessening phobias. Fear seem to be linked with the amygdala activities. 

More info. on one of my thread "how to not have fear"...

Also, I would assume "removing" the amygdala surgically could be the answer for some, like in this story:

https://www.huffingt..._n_3920770.html

Or perhaps, epilepsy medicines like certain gabapentinoid class of drugs which acts on the GABA system, like Gabapentin could work as well as this article below may imply that the amygdala has links with epilepsy, and so in my opinion, epileptic medicines may be key to regulate amygdala activities:

[The importance of amygdala removal in the surgical treatment of mesial temporal lobe epilepsy].

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/26188354

Another epilepsy drug called Phenytoin was also talked about in the Smart Drugs book series:

http://www.smart-pub...-sec5-phenytoin

http://www.dr-bob.or...sgs/577504.html

Look into Lysine. It's not so much decreasing amygdala but more like regulating it instead.

Do you have a source for lysine regulating the amygdala?

Edited by eon, 07 November 2017 - 07:07 AM.

#114 Deaden

• 232 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

You can look into Agomelatine... decreases serotonin and been said to be effective against the most treatment resistant form of depression and anxiety.

Edit: Oh apparently you already mentioned this drug, yeah... I think might be something worth trying for you

Edited by Deaden, 07 November 2017 - 09:14 AM.

#115 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:50 PM

for all Wondering im Over the overactive amygdala part...  I just belive I have high serotonin with low progesterone. I dont wanna make a new thread so I just keep posting here like a log . Also 1 question I thought I had a VERY low MAO-a before which would reseult in high serotonin and other neurontransmitters so I tried reserpine to speed the MAO-a well not the actual drug but were its extracted from a herb called rauwolfia serpentina contain small amounts of reserpine . Didnt work at all for me. So thats why I ruled out Slow mao-a...  should I have ruled it out based on reserpine not working? 

#116 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

can anyone explain to me how GABA Helps anxiety? apparantly progesterone increases gaba which helps with anxiety.

Also I got low vitamin D with low progesterone and high serotonin.

Dunno If I got low dhea/Pregnenolone im taking both now doesent seem to be doing much for anxiety ,depression or fatigue.

Edited by farshad, 07 November 2017 - 09:59 PM.

#117 hydrus

• 98 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:11 AM

can anyone explain to me how GABA Helps anxiety? apparantly progesterone increases gaba which helps with anxiety.

Also I got low vitamin D with low progesterone and high serotonin.

Dunno If I got low dhea/Pregnenolone im taking both now doesent seem to be doing much for anxiety ,depression or fatigue.

don't know how GABA makes you less anxious but most sleep meds, anti-anxiety meds and many tranquilizers target the GABA system.

Alcohol also affects GABA systems. If you need to relax GABA is the way to go. Could be the most important neurotransmitter for anxiety.
  • unsure x 1
  • like x 1

#118 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

When im sick I feel less anxiety.... Dont know whats that about. Im sick right now and Feel different. Does serotonin get affected when sick or somth?

#119 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:52 PM

higher serotonin means lower dopamine.

Excess stress depletes natural dopamine stores (in my case stress from high serotonin levels)

stress increases serotonin https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/2453609

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blood samples from infants who died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) had high levels of serotonin.

http://neurosciencen...onin-sids-7023/

There's a theory about serotonin being boosted when the body is under stress because of an increase in an enzyme that turns tryptophan into serotonin.
Injection of serotonin to rats decreased brain ATP levels. https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/7875554
Of course I assume many of you have seen the articles on a few different sites about how high serotonin brain concentration have been linked to higher social anxiety.
Antagonists of a certain serotonin receptor have been shown to reverse helpless behavior in mice. https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/1532555https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/7991722

decrease serotonin in our brain and have less social anxiety (good), less "learned helplessness" (good), and less inhibition (let's face it, for most of us that's good).

Tryptophan, serotonin, and aging
http://raypeat.com/a....in-aging.shtml

Serotonin, depression, and aggression: The problem of brain energy
http://raypeat.com/a....gression.shtml

some serotonin studies on this reddit post by me:
https://www.reddit.c....in_depression/

Serotonin has a bunch of downstream effects in the brain. Serotonin decreases orexin.

Edited by farshad, 11 November 2017 - 12:58 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#120 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:48 AM

I also belive I might have high cortisol. during stress your cortisol increases , how is cortisol made? From the progesterone in the body. So during constant stress your cortisol is increasing and progesterone decreasing .

Edited by farshad, 12 November 2017 - 02:49 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: meds, social anxiety, high serotonin discussion, amygdala activity, progesterone, overactive amygdala

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users