is it possible not to have any fear?

phobia

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#1 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:28 AM

Is fear holding you back? I understand why fear exists is because of fight or flight response, if we didn't have this we'd be a lot more careless than we are, right? 

I used to know a person who could not feel pain. That's what she told me anyway. From her body language I think she is telling the truth. Does this mean she lacks an opioid receptor? Maybe it's possible not to have any fears and anxiety without taking anxiolitic pills?

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,462 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:28 AM

Perhaps kappa-opioid receptor knockout in amygdala would result in an inability to fear

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 serp777

• 622 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

Take a lot of benzos, and then it will be extremely hard to experience fear. Certain drugs can certainly mitigate or completely remove fear.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 3
  • Needs references x 2
  • dislike x 2

#4 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:48 AM

It's possible to minimize mis-applied kinds of fear, in situation that aren't worth fearing (like public speaking, getting on airplanes, harmless spider species, ect.).  You can get that down to levels that don't hold you back really easily.  It involves exposing yourself to the thing you're fearing.  Over and over.  

• like x 2

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:40 AM

What John said. True fear is a gift. Unwarranted fear is a curse.  You don't want to have no fear, just like you wouldn't want to feel no pain.  Both of these are protective, but are decidedly bad when they go off for the wrong reasons, or to too great an extent.

• like x 2

#6 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:56 AM

is lobotomy required?

Perhaps kappa-opioid receptor knockout in amygdala would result in an inability to fear

• Needs references x 2

#7 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:58 AM

would phenibut be fine?

I've done the whole magic mushroom thing, it fixed me a bit but having those past experiences and actually remembering them is what brings fear back. 

Take a lot of benzos, and then it will be extremely hard to experience fear. Certain drugs can certainly mitigate or completely remove fear.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#8 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

Well, I think the most terrible fear and depression I had my whole life was after using a rather therapeutic doese of Phenibut (~1g) for five days... Coming down I really thought that the whole life as such was completely useless and that it would come too an end very soon. I wouldn't suggest anyone to use it. Rather use a benzo on occasion.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 2
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#9 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:40 AM

phenibut gave you a bad effect? that's news. I wonder why that happened. were you mixing something with it?

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • like x 1

#10 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

I looked this up and some drugs that was said to be k-opioid agonists include salvia divinorum and ibogaine. The natural one and legal one is menthol which peppermint is said to be the best source of (which I am getting in tea form since it is the only menthol source I've seen in tea form).

I'm not familiar with the other k-opioid agonists as they all sound like chemicals. While menthol is said to be weak, it may be worth trying out for me anyway. I knew someone who came across as laid back and fearless and she smokes menthol cigarettes. Maybe that helped? I looked around for menthol supplements and teas and came across a peppermint tea which is a source of menthol. I've used mints as aromatherapy but never tried the tea or any supplement of it. 

#11 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

phenibut gave you a bad effect? that's news. I wonder why that happened. were you mixing something with it?

No, nothing. And it's by no means uncommon if you search for it! It's some kind of "early withdrawal", rebound, or however you want to call it. 

#12 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

OK I will look it up. I thought most people love phenibut. I have a tiny amount of it that I have yet to try but cautious now. Your dose of 1 g may be too high. I only read of 200-500mg doses. I've seen 750mg dose supplements as well. Also, phenibut is said to be a cheaper alternative to l-theanine. Not sure how the comparison came out to be, but I've tried theanine and I liked it. I hope phenibut will be a good one, I'd just start low.

No, nothing. And it's by no means uncommon if you search for it! It's some kind of "early withdrawal", rebound, or however you want to call it. 

Edited by eon, 10 June 2014 - 10:19 AM.

• Ill informed x 1

#13 Florian Xavier

• 242 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

we already never fear, what to fear about ?

#14 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

Huh?
  • Cheerful x 1

#15 Florian Xavier

• 242 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:00 AM

What dangers do you fear ? Of negative evaluations ? If yes it can be fixed naturally i guess.

Edited by Florian Xavier, 11 June 2014 - 01:01 AM.

#16 oneshot2shots

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:05 AM

Depends on the person. I don't get any sort of withdrawals, its just hard to stay away from as its so good and I'm worried about tolerance. If you do suffer from withdrawals it i think sulbutiamine mitigates it, but this is definately more dangerous than phenibut for most people.

Fear is an outdated reptilian response, for the most part it should be gotten rid of to achieve exellence. The difference that can be achieved by simply being fearless is outstanding. The purpose of fear is to encourage you to run when faced by a tiger, its now mainly counter-productive and occurs all imortant situations where its the last thing you need.

• Agree x 3
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#17 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:44 AM

good to hear you like phenibut and you think it's good. I think I only have 1 gram sample of it to try out. I'll try 100mg at a time. Sulbutiamine is said to be careful of when taking. I think this comes in energy drinks, can't recall which ones, maybe Redbull?

I agree with you regarding fear, most of us have it. An example of fear's importance though; remember when a boxer is in complete danger but does not know when to quit and ends up being hurt in the end (i.e. Muhammad Ali, etc.). I think this is where "fear" becomes an importance. If I didn't have any fear, I would have achieved more in life but might have put myself in danger in the process as well. Fear held me back in other words from living too fast. I wished I didn't have any fear though so there's no what could have beens. I could have been this, I could have been that only if I took a chance. Failure comes as well then the fear of failure sets in so it becomes a cycle of fear.

Now regarding tigers, that's only if you live in the jungle. What we all have to worry about is humans. Too much to list what problems they create.

Depends on the person. I don't get any sort of withdrawals, its just hard to stay away from as its so good and I'm worried about tolerance. If you do suffer from withdrawals it i think sulbutiamine mitigates it, but this is definately more dangerous than phenibut for most people.

Fear is an outdated reptilian response, for the most part it should be gotten rid of to achieve exellence. The difference that can be achieved by simply being fearless is outstanding. The purpose of fear is to encourage you to run when faced by a tiger, its now mainly counter-productive and occurs all imortant situations where its the last thing you need.

Edited by eon, 11 June 2014 - 03:47 AM.

• Agree x 1

#18 oneshot2shots

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:30 AM

Well with regard to the tiger reference, fear was very useful in prehistoric times. if you weren't afraid when a mammoth was going to eat you, you died. Your genes were wiped out and only those who were fearful lived. Their genes were passed on.  Lets pretend I said an artic saber toothed tiger.

The same fear is present whenever we do a presentation, go out on a date, or do an interview. But its a redundant, useless fear. Our brains actually think that we are in a life-threatening situation, that we are faced with a tiger, its what evolution has wired us to think. Fear is useful when we want to run, for example If I'm a teenager and I throw an egg at a house and the cops arrive, it's good that I'm afraid so I can peg it. But its only really good in terms of knowing when to run away. To be honest, I havn't been in that many life-threatening situations, and a tiger hasn't chased me in a while. I've had to deal with interviews, dates and presentations much more regularly, where I could have done with a good dose of fearlessness.

Of course fear may be useful in certain situations. But its too prevalent. Ask Muhammad Ali would he rather have been safe and lived in fear as opposed to being fearless. Better to die brave than live a coward.  

On that note take the gram of phenibut. Taking it in 100mg increments is pointless, you simply won't make any progress doing things that slowly. Unless you have serious medical conditions just do it, I can't really see a worse case scenario, you don't really react well,  you have a bad day, then you stop taking it and are much the wiser for it and can move on to try a gram of the next substance that may work for you. 

Fortune favours the brave:)

• Agree x 1

#19 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

I wish there was a way to let fear kick in when it's needed and when it isn't other than drugs of course.  :-D

Galaxyshock's mention of k-opioid receptor and why it has anything to do with "fear"? i thought "opioid" receptor has something to do with pain? Why k-opioid and not the other 3 opioid receptors (there are 4 from what I understand: delta, kappa, mu, and nociceptin).

#20 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:57 AM

The most common thing I hear about phenibut is how quickly tolerance builds.  If it works for you and you like it, I guess that's great, but in general it sounds like bad news for most people. 

I agree that fear is way overdone in most people, but it's not completely useless in the modern world.  There are still plenty of ways to get hurt or killed.  Not by saber-toothed tigers, but rather by not-so-nice humans.  Also by the many and various ways in which we can be stupid with motorized contraptions, sharp things, guns, drugs... you know, all the fun stuff.   The fear that saves me from hurting myself isn't the shaking, peeing on the floor kind of fear that you might be thinking of- it's more like getting a bad feeling about a situation.  You might call it listening to your gut.  I guess it's a matter of degree- there have been a couple times when I was in imminent danger of death or something similarly bad, and I guess that I reacted pretty physically then.  Probably still not as bad as a couple situations I've been in involving public speaking or way-too-hot women where my fear level was totally inappropriate.  For that kind of thing, a beta blocker might have a role.  If you took enough benzodiazepines to ablate that kind of response, I kinda think you'd be on the floor.

#21 oneshot2shots

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:24 AM

There is a thread on this forum about a guy who has tried phenibut for 2 years at 2 grams a day with no side effects. Sounds like a fantasy story but maybe for one in ten thousand people they have bio-chemistry which could work like this. I know I have gotten no sides(did about 7 grams over 4 days). Phenibut for me negates all the sillly fear - no social awkwardness, I just brush into the office, have a fun day and joke with everyone. What is all the fuss about?? I think this does in fact fall under the ambit of fear, as I don't consider any social repercussions of how I'm acting, and it works for the best.

Can't argue too much, I'd just prefer to have no fear whatsoever and logically realise that its not wise to play with guns as opposed to having an inbuilt automated fear system which tells me to stay away from the object. Gut feelings/intuition are a different type of intelligence imo. And yes of course, to have enough benzos that you actually remain calm in front of a tiger would mean over-riding out inhernt system, and the only way would would be a form of unconsciousness.

So logically evaluate phnibut for yourself is probably what to take from this, obviously don't go on my advice that its great and harmless, but note that for some it does work and don't refuse to take it based on scaremongering.  Without doubt, tolerance builds quickly for most everyone, so if it does work, cycle as its is too precious to waster. i havn't had any in 4 days now, though I don't have any chemical addiction to it, physcologically I miss its effects.

#22 serp777

• 622 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:49 AM

There is a thread on this forum about a guy who has tried phenibut for 2 years at 2 grams a day with no side effects. Sounds like a fantasy story but maybe for one in ten thousand people they have bio-chemistry which could work like this. I know I have gotten no sides(did about 7 grams over 4 days). Phenibut for me negates all the sillly fear - no social awkwardness, I just brush into the office, have a fun day and joke with everyone. What is all the fuss about?? I think this does in fact fall under the ambit of fear, as I don't consider any social repercussions of how I'm acting, and it works for the best.

Can't argue too much, I'd just prefer to have no fear whatsoever and logically realise that its not wise to play with guns as opposed to having an inbuilt automated fear system which tells me to stay away from the object. Gut feelings/intuition are a different type of intelligence imo. And yes of course, to have enough benzos that you actually remain calm in front of a tiger would mean over-riding out inhernt system, and the only way would would be a form of unconsciousness.

So logically evaluate phnibut for yourself is probably what to take from this, obviously don't go on my advice that its great and harmless, but note that for some it does work and don't refuse to take it based on scaremongering.  Without doubt, tolerance builds quickly for most everyone, so if it does work, cycle as its is too precious to waster. i havn't had any in 4 days now, though I don't have any chemical addiction to it, physcologically I miss its effects.

Or maybe he just got dependent, and required that dose to function normally.

• like x 1

#23 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:42 AM

I will try phenibut eventually. I just don't want to mix it with my other nootropics. Not sure what active B vitamins could potentiate when on phenibut.

#24 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

How would it be to feel no fear at all?

It for sure would make you less able to judge if something would be dangerous for you, but couldnt that be done by reasonably analysing the situation?

Wouldnt you be free to do and achieve much more without fear?

Yes, normal fear is good for our survival, but who feels only that sort of fear and not all those other nonsensical fears we have accumulated through our life?

How would it be to feel no fear at all?

It for sure would make you less able to judge if something would be dangerous for you, but couldnt that be done by reasonably analysing the situation?

Wouldnt you be free to do and achieve much more without fear?

Yes, normal fear is good for our survival, but who feels only that sort of fear and not all those other nonsensical fears we have accumulated through our life?

#25 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

it's what i had been saying and asking about. Thanks for saying it 2x. LOL.

#26 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

Just wondering if since phenibut is like benzo, would any of these so called nootropics that are legal to buy show a positive result when testing for drugs? I know a while back that some similar compound to pea showed a positive result for Meth.

#27 Lobotomy

• 110 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

is lobotomy required?

I hope not, I'm really busy.

• like x 6

#28 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

You can actually stop Your fear with medications. The group of medications, that eliminate fear is called "anxiolytic medications" and are prescribed most often from psychiatrists.

• dislike x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1

#29 oneshot2shots

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:11 AM

And are very difficult to dose and balance with all the side effects. Meditation and maybe an EMwave device to consciously train how to manage fear is arguably the best way to manage stress,  and of course exposure therapy. No harm in trying some noots of course. 

If your reluctant about phen aniracetam is a safe medium, the effects won't be as strong but its 100% safe.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:13 AM

I'm familiar with anxiolytics, and there's prescription and naturals as well. I'd prefer to go the natural or non prescription route. Picamilon, inositol, and melatonin are just some of them that I have tried. 

You can actually stop Your fear with medications. The group of medications, that eliminate fear is called "anxiolytic medications" and are prescribed most often from psychiatrists.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phobia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users